Home
Posted By: win7stw KS contour - 06/03/20
Does anybody have the specs for a KS barrel contour? Bartlein don’t think they have it and would like to have a few measurements. Brux said they don’t have it either. I’ve heard PacNor does but I’d like to use Bartlein or Brux
Posted By: gene270 Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
if you cant find it just use a number 2 hart they both finish out at .600
Posted By: win7stw Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
10-4 thanks gene
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: KS contour - 06/03/20

Lilja Blueprint for Rem KS Contour...
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Thank you so much
You are welcome...
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
What cartridge are you building? I’m looking to to have a KS contour on a new build. Haven’t decided on the cartridge yet.
Thinking about doing a 25 PRC. I bought one of theLRI left handed actions they are selling. Brux or Bartlein barrel twisted at 1-7.5 to run the 131gn Blackjack bullets. Thinking of dropping it in a KS stock
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
Nice. Look forward to seeing the final results.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/03/20

Fantastic!
Any idea when this was done?
I talked to Dan himself about 6 months ago while trying to find this ... they couldn’t come up with it so ended up ordering from benchmark as they have one courtesy of member gunnut308.
Looks like I need to call Lilja back.
Just need to find the stock. Torn if I should go that route or an AG composite. Also torn between ADL or BDL
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
I sent this to Benchmark, they duplicated it right on the money. McMillan has the KS inlet in their system and it’s a perfect drop in fit.
If you want the barrel to finish longer be sure length is added from “G” to the muzzle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: mathman Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
Originally Posted by gene270
if you cant find it just use a number 2 hart they both finish out at .600

There's more to it than just the muzzle diameter.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Fantastic!
I talked to Dan himself about 6 months ago while trying to find this ... they couldn’t come up with it so ended up ordering from benchmark as they have one courtesy of member gunnut308.

I "think" it has been there for a year or longer. I chose the Lilja RemMtn24 profile for a project 12-15 months ago. The RemMtn24 should finish up just a little lighter than the KS.
Posted By: jdunham Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
They could never find it anytime I called and asked about it. I ended up doing the RemMtn24 in a custom contour and had the blank finish at .60 and it came out perfect. I actually like it a touch better than the actual KS contour which I also have. The rifle I put it on finished .610 at 24 inches with it and I find it perfect.
i have had a few ks rifles and stocks and to my knowledge i cant remember one finishing out at .695

didnt the regular chamberings finish at .600 and the magnums finish at .650 ?
Posted By: jdunham Re: KS contour - 06/03/20
My original KS is .595 at the muzzle. My Sporter contours are either .65 or .66 at the muzzle. The magnum contour is beefier but finishes the same as the sporter or close to it.
Sent the drawing to Brux and they claim they need a barrel to duplicate it. Seems odd to me
Originally Posted by jdunham
They could never find it anytime I called and asked about it. I ended up doing the RemMtn24 in a custom contour and had the blank finish at .60 and it came out perfect. I actually like it a touch better than the actual KS contour which I also have. The rifle I put it on finished .610 at 24 inches with it and I find it perfect.

Exactly the experience I had. That is definitely a new profile in the website since I spoke with them. The mtn24 finished at .60 would be incredibly close and sounds like it turned out well!

My original KS is .595 at the muzzle. My Sporter contours are either .65 or .66 at the muzzle. The magnum contour is beefier but finishes the same as the sporter or close to it.

Yep. Although there was definitely some variation as one standard ks I have is 0.625 at the muzzle - and noticeably heavier.
Originally Posted by win7stw
Sent the drawing to Brux and they claim they need a barrel to duplicate it. Seems odd to me

Rock told me the same. Which is why I was searching for a takeoff in the classifieds a while back ...

Rock told me the same. Which is why I was searching for a takeoff in the classifieds a while back ...

I will give Bartlein a call later and see what they have to say

I will give Bartlein a call later and see what they have to say

If they would do that contour in ss I will be shocked (but I’d be in for multiples!)
#1 is the reason for a ks contour to fit an existing stock with that taper ?
#2 you like the looks of the contour ?
#3 or you want a lightweight contour ?

if its number three then go with a number #2 taper rock/benchmark/hart/douglas/lilja and you will be at your weight if its number 1 and 2 the the answer is obvious....
Basically I have always wanted a KS. I found a stock but haven't bought it yet until I can see if I can find a cut rifled barrel.

I am considering going with a different barrel and an AG composites stock.
what cartridge are you going to build for....if a stainless barrel is wanted you have pretty much eliminated most manufacturers but Rock Creek
what cartridge are you going to build for....if a stainless barrel is wanted you have pretty much eliminated most manufacturers but Rock Creek

Why do you say that? Bartlein said they could probably build it but they need to see a drawing. I haven’t heard back from them yet.

Plan on a 25 PRC
i could be wrong but that is probably to light for them to do a stainless barrel in from what i have seen from them
Ok I’ll let you guys know tomorrow. I still haven’t received a reply from them

Fantastic!

I "think" it has been there for a year or longer. I chose the Lilja RemMtn24 profile for a project 12-15 months ago. The RemMtn24 should finish up just a little lighter than the KS.

Spoke to them this afternoon and the gentleman could only tell me it was added “recently.”
I’ll be able to compare it to an original in ~ 10 weeks.
whistle
10 weeks isn’t bad
Posted By: woods_walker Re: KS contour - 06/04/20
Looking forward to seeing your comments. Were you able to get that in stainless?
Posted By: jdunham Re: KS contour - 06/04/20

Fantastic!

Spoke to them this afternoon and the gentleman could only tell me it was added “recently.”
whistle

Funny, It popped in my head last night that my print was labeled that and I just looked and verified that the print is indeed the custom contour I did. It is the RemMtn 24 that just finishes at .60 instead of .542. That print is not an original KS, it is very close but not the original. When I talked to Dan I told him what I wanted to duplicate and that would be very close and I guess that is what it ended up being labeled. It is very close and a stock inlet for the Rem Mt rifle contour just needs to be opened up slightly. Super contour IMO, but not the original KS. Explains why they didn’t have it when I called, lol.

P.S. The barrel ended up just a hair over a KS on mine, .610 at 24 inches. As I mentioned earlier my KS is .595 but someone else said theirs was closer to the .610 that this print ended up as at 24 inches.
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Looking forward to seeing your comments. Were you able to get that in stainless?

Yes mine is stainless. I am ordering another in 6.5 for a rebarrel on my daughters stainless mountain rifle.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: KS contour - 06/04/20

I just measured my .280 KS and with my cheapo calipers its showing .594-.595. I would bet that depending on each rifle that the muzzle measurement can vary a little bit from barrel to barrel. I've always really liked that contour for a lighter weight hunting rifle.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/04/20
Super contour IMO, but not the original KS.

You are going to force me to break out my calipers yet. grin
Do you recall the differences (excluding muzzle diameter) ?
Posted By: woods_walker Re: KS contour - 06/04/20
My two KS 'B' series, measure at: (.280) .575" and the (30-06) .590". Remington advertised .59" for the .270, .280, 30-06 muzzle diameter.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: KS contour - 06/04/20

Fantastic!

whistle

It could be a recent addition. I may have compared the RemMtn24 contour to my KS 270. Not sure. Regardless, good luck with your project. Sorry. Cannot help with the 10 week wait.
Super contour IMO, but not the original KS.

You are going to force me to break out my calipers yet. grin
Do you recall the differences (excluding muzzle diameter) ?

The KS has a sharper taper from the shank to its muzzle diameter and gets there quicker then carries that diameter all the way to the muzzle. The one they have listed which is the RemMtn24 that I had custom contoured to finish at .60 is a more gradual taper to the final muzzle diameter before carrying that out to the end. It will be a tad heavier than a KS die to the more gradual taper but I couldn’t say how much. My smith left a bit of shank so mine looks considerably larger side by side but it isn’t really. I am happy with the extra shank and weight as it went on a 30-06 Ti which was more recoil than I cared for before the new tube. I am sure that is not what you are shooting for.
Not sure if that makes any sense. If you make sure your smith doesn’t leave any extra shank it will be very very close to an original KS that finishes close to .60
Posted By: C_ROY Re: KS contour - 06/04/20
I like the Bartlein # 0 contour. I used that on my .257 Roberts build. That contour is available in stainless. My finished bbl is 21.5" and it mics 0.600 on the nose.

Here some pic's https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14940994#Post14940994
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last picture is the difference in the taper between the two if the Ti didn't have any shank left like the original KS. The second picture makes the Lilja RemKS look way beefier but it isn't as big as the picture there looks. Hope some of this made sense.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
jdunham,
Thanks. It did. You compelled me to break out the calipers anyway. crazy

On the first original ks (ss 280 barrel code bz) I grabbed to measure the initial taper starting at the lug measures 1.2” and has essentially a straight line taper to 4.65” distal to the lug where it measured 0.685”. From there it transitions into another straight line taper to the muzzle where it measured 0.592”. On this particular example the barrel is 23.15” from lug to muzzle. Where it exits the forend at 10.5” distal to the lug the diameter is 0.660”.

These pretty much duplicate the measurements gunnut308 linked earlier in the thread that benchmark has. You are absolutely correct that the Lilja profile is very very close - the biggest difference, as you said, appears to be the additional 1.25” of taper on the shank end - but the differences are minute. On the Lilja drawing where is measures 0.850” my measured was 0.86”; and where Lilja measures 0.680” my measured was 0.670”.

I’ll be able to post a comparison of the 3 ... right about the start of sheep season! shocked
Posted By: jdunham Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
jdunham,
Thanks. It did. You compelled me to break out the calipers anyway. crazy

On the first original ks (ss 280 barrel code bz) I grabbed to measure the initial taper starting at the lug measures 1.2” and has essentially a straight line taper to 4.65” distal to the lug where it measured 0.685”. From there it transitions into another straight line taper to the muzzle where it measured 0.592”. On this particular example the barrel is 23.15” from lug to muzzle. Where it exits the forend at 10.5” distal to the lug the diameter is 0.660”.

These pretty much duplicate the measurements gunnut308 linked earlier in the thread that benchmark has. You are absolutely correct that the Lilja profile is very very close - the biggest difference, as you said, appears to be the additional 1.25” of taper on the shank end - but the differences are minute. On the Lilja drawing where is measures 0.850” my measured was 0.86”; and where Lilja measures 0.680” my measured was 0.670”.

I’ll be able to post a comparison of the 3 ... right about the start of sheep season! shocked

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this! I was literally running out of my house when I snapped those pictures quick and posted them. Wanted to break out the calipers but didn’t have time. I for some reason couldn’t remember the term lug to save my life while I was typing. Hope that clears up some things for anyone wanting to use the Lilja KS Contour. It isn’t the original specs from Remington but it is super close.
Posted By: win7stw Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
I just got off the phone with Mark at Bartlein and they will build the KS contour in stainless steel for me. They are going to go off the Lilja print that Orion provided me with. Should be here in 4 months.
Posted By: gene270 Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
that sounds great....but still seems odd since the lightest contour they will do on their page in stainless is a 2b
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
I just got off the phone with Mark at Bartlein and they will build the KS contour in stainless steel for me. They are going to go off the Lilja print that Orion provided me with. Should be here in 4 months.

That’s great to hear. Surprising; as gene said above; but great!
Note the differences mentioned above; I think it will still fit well in a factory ks contour.
Posted By: win7stw Re: KS contour - 06/05/20
that sounds great....but still seems odd since the lightest contour they will do on their page in stainless is a 2b

He said the contour can't be below .8 inches within 6 inches from the breech face in SS
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/07/20

He said the contour can't be below .8 inches within 6 inches from the breech face in SS

Which you will be if you have no shank, but it will be close.

I measured a factory inlet KS stock and it looks like there is 0.69” of clearance at 6” from the lug so the Lilja contour should squeeze in without having to open it any.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 06/09/20

Same thing Brux told me yesterday; although supposedly they have duped the KS in ss in the past.

The Benchmark (Gunnut308's profile in this thread) came in and it is a perfect drop in for a factory inlet KS. Blank weighs 3 pounds, 1.8 ounces ...
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: KS contour - 06/09/20

Same thing Brux told me yesterday; although supposedly they have duped the KS in ss in the past.

The Benchmark (Gunnut308's profile in this thread) came in and it is a perfect drop in for a factory inlet KS. Blank weighs 3.18 pounds.

That is good to know. I am going to order one from Benchmark.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: KS contour - 02/14/21
I put this in another thread, but I figured I would update this thread as well for future reference. I came across this while looking for something else on the lilja site and cross-reference it with one of mine. Here is the *exact* KS MR MAG contour.

https://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/rcs300.pdf
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: KS contour - 02/18/21
McMillan stock with their KS inlet. Benchmark did a perfect job with the measurements I sent them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: woods_walker Re: KS contour - 02/18/21
I was just thinking about this thread a couple of days ago. Glad to see the updates.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: KS contour - 02/18/21
I was just thinking about this thread a couple of days ago. Glad to see the updates.

Your taking good care of OUR 280 KS aren’t you? smile
Posted By: woods_walker Re: KS contour - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Your taking good care of OUR 280 KS aren’t you? smile

That is one fine rifle! Last year I started working up a load with Nosler 150 BT's over H4831SC and haven't had a reason to try anything else. That KS is really happy living with me:-)
© 24hourcampfire