Home
Posted By: humdinger ratchet pruners? - 02/09/21
I keep reading about carrying ratchet pruners and I have two questions:

1. Is there an advantage to the ratchet system? (I've never used one)
2. Get bypass or anvil style? (if that's an option)

Posted By: killerv Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/09/21
I bet they make a little noise, not good. I simply keep a fiskars bypass in my vest.
Posted By: MOGC Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/09/21
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with a saw blade. I like the Alox handles and like the Farmer. If the plastic handles suit you the Hiker is a good one.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/09/21
Tag
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/10/21
Florian ratchet, which are anvil style, are good. They're not noisy. If too spendy check Fiskars.

I used to carry them before I got a better idea about what spooks gobblers. They are handy for bow hunting off the ground, though.
Posted By: gaswamp Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Florian ratchet, which are anvil style, are good. They're not noisy. If too spendy check Fiskars.

I used to carry them before I got a better idea about what spooks gobblers. They are handy for bow hunting off the ground, though.

florian r good pruners...also chk out ezcut almost indestructible
Posted By: humdinger Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

What spooks gobblers?
Posted By: Blueboy Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/15/21
EZkut guarantee the best in industry. Sent a pair back years ago to get blades sharpened and in few days got a new pair in mail. Never broke a pair and have gut some logs with them. Remember turkey hunting sitting behind a barb wire fence and had took my shears and cut some limbs to conceal me, and 2 gobblers heard me and just as I was rolling back in my seat, they crossed to my right about 5 yards, went under that fence and out into the pasture looking for that hen they thought they heard. Got out there about 25 yds and thought they had separated....well, I picked out the longest beard and BOOM....shot and killed both of them! Bad mistake, but got out of there with one at a time and didn't get caught.
Posted By: Goats260 Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by Blueboy
EZkut guarantee the best in industry. Sent a pair back years ago to get blades sharpened and in few days got a new pair in mail. Never broke a pair and have gut some logs with them. Remember turkey hunting sitting behind a barb wire fence and had took my shears and cut some limbs to conceal me, and 2 gobblers heard me and just as I was rolling back in my seat, they crossed to my right about 5 yards, went under that fence and out into the pasture looking for that hen they thought they heard. Got out there about 25 yds and thought they had separated....well, I picked out the longest beard and BOOM....shot and killed both of them! Bad mistake, but got out of there with one at a time and didn't get caught.

And people wonder why the game warden shows up!! smirk
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/16/21
I've broken every one I've ever had, every single one.
Posted By: kingston Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/16/21
I'm a big fan of ratcheting pvc pipe cutters, but haven't used them on trees.
Posted By: roundoak Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/16/21
I purchased the Garrett Wade hand ratchet-pruner. Great tool. While cutting multi-flora bushes in a fence line wasn't watching what I was doing and cut into a barbed wire a few times. Ordered not one, but four extra blades for just in case.

https://garrettwade.com/product/rat...f57XHjbA6QdmRuCBalIg8YXS0OUaAhPDEALw_wcB
Posted By: AH64guy Re: ratchet pruners? - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by Blueboy
EZkut guarantee the best in industry.

Or near the best, I'm a fan of their cutters, and I've broken their stuff over the years from cutting bigger limbs than I probably should have.

The rep at the Great American Outdoors Show has never failed to replace them, or anybody else I've sent his way.
Posted By: tzone Re: ratchet pruners? - 03/03/21
Much easier on thicker branches. It ain’t a saw tho.
© 24hourcampfire