Home
Posted By: DeanAnderson New turkey gun - 02/24/22
I'm now the proud new owner of a 20 gauge turkey model Winchester SX4. Don't have it yet, but it's on it's way to my FFL. While the decision to get the SX4 wasn't purely monetary, it's nice that it was a less expensive option that other models under consideration. Time will tell...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
Good for you.

Not that I need it, but I’ve been drooling just a bit over the Henry SS 12ga Turkey gun. 3 1/2” chamber, good sights, D&Td for a rail. Fairly pricey for a SS, but they are solid, Made in America guns. I spent about as much getting my .410 set up. Wish they’d just make D&T standard on all the SSs and spare us the pain. I could do without the camo job too as the guns are already pretty subdued in appearance.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
The SX4 line is fantastic. You'll love it.
Posted By: pullit Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
man, y'all are all getting new toys this year.
Did you get a 12 or 20?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
A 20 gauge. And yes, I've been very, very good this year! Lol! So far...
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
A few years back I traded for a 12 ga. SX4 for my grandson....it had been duck hunted a few times after taking it apart and cleaning it I thought it was a piece of junk...I quickly sold it and bought him a used SBE II. I've never been so glad to see a gun leave here.

Hope it works out for you.
Lol! Charming as ever! If it doesn't, wouldn't be the first time turn around was quick and decisive. But if I don't at least try it... They're a popular gun, especially right now, at least I'll see what all the whoopila is all about.
Posted By: pullit Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
I had a SX3 in 12 ga and it was great. Friend wanted it really bad and I was not attached to it so he has it now. He is still very happy with it
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
If you like YouTube videos about shooting, you'd enjoy this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TargetFocusedLife

He's an SX4 fan. He puts guns through tough tests and the SX4 usually comes out on top, even over more expensive guns. It's currently his main competition gun.

Here's his latest:

As far as quality, the SX4 gives up very little versus the Maxus II, which is around $800 more. The SX4 doesn't have the speed load or magazine cut off feature of the Maxus II. And some of the parts are a little less refined. But it's every bit as reliable. And iot will cycle anything you put in it, from 2 3/4" file dloads to 3 1/2" magnum loads (the 12g guns).

Posted By: buckhorn Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
Is the LOP adjusteable on the SX-4 20 gauge turkey gun? Seems like a great youth option.
I don't think it's adjustable, but don't know for sure.
Posted By: EFHutton Re: New turkey gun - 02/24/22
You should be happy with it , I have a sx4 20ga with 26 inch barrel I use for Turkey huntin , fits me just right , awesome trigger too for a shotgun, alot better trigger than my M2.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
The entire SX line is of very high quality guns. Anxious to hear how the SX4 20 gauge does for you.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
My SX4 came with spacers to adjust LOP.
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
Time for your riddle yoderbOy

What do you call a guy that claims he's been paid by the turkey hunting and choke tube industries for two decades won't tell who paid him and hides behind a bogus user name on the internet ?

I think most call that a phony.....I call him Yoder409
Posted By: Black_ice Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
You going to stick with a bead, or slap an optic on it?
Curious............. Is the SX4 in 20 gauge back bored like all the other Super X line (not the Super X1) 12 gauges are ??
Posted By: borden811 Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
I bought my kid a sx4 compact 20ga for turkey last year. Put a bushnell trs on it, and screwed in a carlsons tss choke. Patterns the federal factory 1.5 oz tss loads in the high 270s, low 280s consistently. She crushed a bird at 33 yards with it. I can’t say a bad thing about it. I have 30lbs of tss and all the components to load for 20ga, so I’ll see what it does with hand loads in the next couple months before our season starts.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
Originally Posted by Black_ice
You going to stick with a bead, or slap an optic on it?

Definitely some kind of optic. My just using the bead days are over.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Curious............. Is the SX4 in 20 gauge back bored like all the other Super X line (not the Super X1) 12 gauges are ??

Yes, the 20g uses the Invectror Plus tubes.
Posted By: pullit Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
The Super X1 was not back bored, just an FYI. The back bored models started at the Super X2 line.
In the Browning line, I think the back bored models started with the Gold Hunter as far as the semi auto goes.
I'm not an Invector Choke fan.....

The Browning Invector choke came from the screw in Win Choke first succesful screw in choke system.....they actually interchange....problem is theyre interchanging in guns with dufferent bore sizes.

Then Browning lengthened it and called it Invector Plus and Winchester tagged along with them.....interchangeable chokes that work in two different bores sizes.

Here's the problem the choke diameter that works good in one bore diameter might not in the other.

I've owned a lot of Win choked and invectror and invector plus guns they worked okay for target shooting.

In the end they suckered alot of people into shooting fAiry dust and choking is not that big of an issue when you're throwing hundreds of tiny little balls at a piece of paper.
Bore size most definitely affects the choke, why we pattern with different chokes. I tried to find out how much the 20ga is backbored, or what its bore dimension is. All I can find are 12ga. dimensions, but not done looking. Does Inv + automatically mean it's backbored? No matter the gauge?
I am not a big fan of the Win/Invector either. I think it was way too short and to abrupt to give a nice even pattern. Yes you can go to an extended choke and this does help but the Invector Plus choke was a big step in the right direction. By the time Browning came out with the Invector Plus choke (which was done for the back bored barrel with a diameter of .745 vs a standard bore diameter of .729) Browning owned Winchester.

I'm betting Browning and Winchesters are still two different bores sizes running the same choke systems.

Dean I've never heard mention of a back bored 20 ga....all that back bored crap was more a selling point than a performance point.

I know that Browning has been back boring the O/U's and their 20 ga auto for years.
I will go see if I have some regular Invector chokes and be back in a minute with the bore diameter for the 20's as I don't know them off the top of my head like I do the 12's.
Just checked and there is .012 difference in the bore diameter for an Win and a Invector Plus. The bore of a Winchester is .623 diameter and the bore of a Browning Invector Plus barrel is .635 diameter. I checked the chokes as well and they show the same .012 difference at the chamber end of the choke.
This is a sample size of one gun each and 3 chokes for each but it was very consistent from choke to choke.
https://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/k...4-semi-auto-20-bore-tried-tested-6303482
"As before, chokes are Invector Plus, and the barrel is mildly back-bored and internally hard-chromed"

This is per the link you posted.
The only one NOT saying it's backbored is Winchester! Lol! The only backbore dimensions I can find on the Winchester site are 12ga dimensions of .742"
I didn't read the link I just posted it for Dean.
Thanks LFC, I did read that "review". I think it's interesting that gun writers are saying the 20 gauge is backbored, but no such claim by Winchester that I can find.
Originally Posted by pullit
I am not a big fan of the Win/Invector either. I think it was way too short and to abrupt to give a nice even pattern.

That's my issue with Beretta/Benelli Mobil Choke system, which my Super Nova has. It patterns okay.

I like the Invector Plus system, but Brownings Invector DS on their Citoris and A5 do pattern better. The DS are very long tubes. My A5 with a DS full with a full choke with pattern better, nore evenly and a little denser, than my Maxus II with the Invector Plus.
I agree with LFC on this one, "back bored" doesn't mean much. II think the trend really started when Mossberg put "10 gauge barrels" on their 835 UltiMag. Those barrels really are oversized. But Browning's "back bored" barrels are only have a little bigger inner diameter than their older non-backbored barrels. The Browning backbored barrels are still way smaller than the Mossberg backbored barrels.
I still have not figured out why a Mossy 835 with the oversized barrel is the hardest kicking thing I believe I have ever shot in a 12 ga shotgun. It has to be in the stock fit, but everyone I know says the same thing. It kicks like a rented mule.
I had a 935 and it has the same barrel dim. and yes I know it is a gas gun vs a pump but it was not bad at all to shoot.
Coin toss for me between a Mossberg 835 and a Benelli Super Nova for which one kicks harder with a 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz turkey load. I've had them both and gotten rid of both. The Benelli might have a slight edge though, it kicked hard enough that I gave it to a guy I didn't like! Literally! Haha!
I have not shot a Benelli Nova in 12 ga, and it sounds like I don't need nor want to.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Coin toss for me between a Mossberg 835 and a Benelli Super Nova for which one kicks harder with a 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz turkey load. I've had them both and gotten rid of both. The Benelli might have a slight edge though, it kicked hard enough that I gave it to a guy I didn't like! Literally! Haha!

As far as ACTUAL ft/lbs of free recoil using identical loads, the Mossberg recoils a whisker more because its a wee bit lighter than the Super Nova. I never found either of them to be super hateful to shoot. But stock design as it relates to individual fit has a WHOLE LOT to do with FELT recoil.

Across all the 835's and Super Novas I've worked with, I'd take the Benelli, hands down. Both guns feel cheap. But the 835's feel like a 4x4 deckpost in my hands. And across the board, the Novas have ALL patterned better than the Mossbergs.
For whatever reason, leaving ALL science out of it, after shooting the Benelli I thought I had loosened every tooth in my head! Lol!
Posted By: GuideGun Re: New turkey gun - 02/25/22
I have the 12 gauge version of this gun that I've yet to fire. I have an Indian Creek .665" I plan to try first with TSS 8s.
The recoil reducing technology in the Benelli stock sure doesn't do much to absord the recoil. The cheek cushion and the recoil pad are very hard.
Unless you have a Mercury reducer in the stock a Benelli has no recoil reducing technology in the stock.

Best thing for a Benelli is a Limb Saver recoil pad.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

That's my issue with Beretta/Benelli Mobil Choke system, which my Super Nova has. It patterns okay.

I've been shooting a Mobile choke barrel for years in my SBE....you have to get the right choke tube in it to make it perform.

I've been shooting Patternmaster Code Black chokes out of mine for the last several years.

They're not cheap buy they're not cheaply made or made in China.
PatternMaster is good stuff!
I bought some extended Carlsons for my Super Nova but haven't patterned them yet.

I also got some Tru Glo steel fiber optic rib sights but now that I have then I'm having second thoughts about putting them on.
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 02/26/22
I've never shot a Carlson....don't expect I ever will.

Never fooled with Indian Creek because the design looks weak/fragile to me with those long thin slits (years back some split...one guy shot one out of his barrel and ruined his barrel...that could be operator error the slits breaking/cracking were likely not)

These are the turkey chokes I've shot and I've killed turkeys with most of them...Hastings, Colonial, Sumtoy. Rhino, Comp n choke, Balistic Specialties had a set of 6 Kicks Gobbling Thunder tubes I shot one of them for a time. A custom choke bt Tom Choke of Lousiana and a Bansner for about a New York minute.

Then I bought a Patternmaster Code Black Goose tube to duck hunt with and then tried it with a turkey load....it's a solid 50+ yard choke in my gun with a Winchester 3", 1&3/4 oz or a 2oz. 3.5" #4 Longbeard.

Then I bought a Patternmaster Code Black Turkey it's a solid 60+ yard choke in my SBE with a 2oz #4 Longbeard.

I some times change chokes the Goose tube is a little more forgiving in the woods....if I had to make a choice I'd use the Patternmaster Code Black Goose tube in the woods and the
Code Black Turkey tube hunting big crop fields.

My buddy is sending me a .650 Jebs to try.

Unlike yoder409 I've never been "paid by the hunting and choke tube industry for over twO decades"....

What the hell could eYe know.
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 02/26/22
I bought some extended Carlsons for my Super Nova but haven't patterned them yet.

I also got some Tru Glo steel fiber optic rib sights but now that I have then I'm having second thoughts about putting them on.

I recall.you saying the Nova shot high that sometimes is caused by the choking.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 02/26/22
Originally Posted by LFC

I recall.you saying the Nova shot high that sometimes is caused by the choking.

Could be.

I want to pattern it before deciding on the sights. I got them thinking I could use them to lower the pattern on the Super Nova, or raise it a bit on my Ithaca. I may opt to leave them off. I have similar sights on my SX4 and may take those off, too.
Posted By: pullit Re: New turkey gun - 02/26/22
I have used several different brands of chokes as well. One thing I have found is that "choke A" may have one point of impact, unscrew it and screw in 'choke B" and it will have a completely different point of impact. Same shell, same everything except the choke
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 02/27/22
I bought a Mossberg 835 first year they came out....the sporting goods store where I bought it had a range behind the store.

I don't recall the exact shot size that did what...the first shells I shot hit bad right or left.

I went inside and told Greg Mckenny the owner of the store that he had sold me a piece of junk and that the Mossberg was shooting way off to one side....He said "try another shotsize that sometimes straightens them up"....I figured it was a lost cause and he was full of it.

Websters Sporting goods patterned shotguns for a lot of the local guys and had a lot of experience patterning a lot of different turkey guns.

Guess what Greg was right....straightened the Mossberg 835 right up.....but I thought it was a piece of junk before I bought it and after I sold it.
Posted By: humdinger Re: New turkey gun - 03/01/22
I'm now the proud new owner of a 20 gauge turkey model Winchester SX4. Don't have it yet, but it's on it's way to my FFL. While the decision to get the SX4 wasn't purely monetary, it's nice that it was a less expensive option that other models under consideration. Time will tell...

I looked at an old Winchester catalog and that seems like a nice setup.

Tell us how you like the cantilever mounts and how the whole gun performs.
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
Dean did you shoot that new turkey duster yet ?
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
Supposed to be at my FFL today...

I'm going to shoot mine again today....long story I swapped scopes around..

https://youtu.be/m0tKB5KSCcI

I might be shell shocked after 6 or 8 more shots.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
Supposed to be at my FFL today...

Awaiting a full range report.
Answer the riddle yoddlerbOy
This is more like shooting the 20 ga

https://youtu.be/Owodi8a28vY
I'm hoping to not get anymore tracking "updates"! Every time I get one, it's pushed back a day! Lol!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
I'm hoping to not get anymore tracking "updates"! Every time I get one, it's pushed back a day! Lol!

FedEx ??
What do you call a guy that claims he's been paid by the turkey hunting and choke tube industry for over twO decades...yet refuses to tall whO he worked for ?

I call him full of chit YoderbOy
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by LFC
This is more like shooting the 20 ga

https://youtu.be/Owodi8a28vY

Midget abuse. Midgets are fiercely territorial. They don't know what they're doing, they just know big people put them together and they have to fight. And filming it.... It's like when Marty Stouffer got caught staging animal fights for his show "Wild America."

Yes, looking forward to a thorough review of the new Winchester SX4. Dean, did you get any new chokes for it yet or are you going to wait and see how the choke that comes with it does?
I wouldn't waste a shell on a factory choke....
UPS
2 new Patter Master chokes waiting on the sideline ready to be put in...
Hope they work out I can't vouch for a 20 ga. Patternmaster choke.
If they perform like other Pattermaster's I've used, I shouldn't be disappointed.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by LFC
Hope they work out I can't vouch for a 20 ga. Patternmaster choke.

Especially one sprinkling fAiry dust! wink
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 03/05/22
From what I've saw on the internet you can "sprinkle fAiry dust" out of most any choke tube.

Ps...You mind if I steal your saying....I love it sprinkling the dust. Lol.
Did you get the new sprinkler yet ?

I notive you said you bought a Patternmaster Code Black Duck ...my buddy shot one so I bought one I did a lot of pattern testing with the duck and steel shot...I liked the Goose tube better for duck shooting.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 03/05/22
I might have bought a PatternMaster Code Black for my A5 a couple of months ago. I saw them at Green Top Sporting Goods in Richmond, Va and a couple of the staff there were really speaking highly of them, but I couldn't find one for the Invector DS system my A5 uses. I've settled on my Carlsons for this season. Not sure I can afford to pattern anything else right now.

Ps...You mind if I steal your saying....I love it sprinkling the dust. Lol.

I named my Browning BPS 20 gauge Tinker Bell because of your "fairy dust" comments.
You can call her tinkler for short.
Posted By: pullit Re: New turkey gun - 03/05/22
most any choke will shoot fairy dust but it is no different than anything else. If you want a tight pattern without fliers, you still have to play with the chokes.
Some like a nice even covering of a 20 inch circle@40. I don't want that, I want a really hot 10 inch core and the rest as close to a 15 inch circle as I can with rest in the 15 to 20 inch circle.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 03/05/22
Knowing me, the 2 Patternmaster choke tubes are just the start. No problem getting different ones if necessary. Started with these two because I could get them, couldn't find others at this time.

Stopped at Midwest Shooter's Supply yesterday in Lomira, WI. Pretty slim pickings there too, and they're a larger shooting supplies store. They did have all kinds of Federal 20ga, 3" TSS shells on the shelf. Almost $60 a box! Glad I picked up a bunch when I did when it was about half that. Couldn't believe I bought them for the price I did back then too.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 03/19/22
Went with the Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 RD with the illuminated K-Dot reticle. First time ever I'll be using a scope on a turkey gun and chose it because I had it. Solidly mounted and bore sighted and hoping to be able to do a little patterning soon. Cold, windy, rainy, nasty day today so not today! Lol! I'd hunt in it, but not going to mess with patterning in it. Getting closer and starting to come together...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And starting with the Patternmaster Code Black Turkey choke tube.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: New turkey gun - 03/19/22
I've got a Weaver 1.5X5 shotgun scope that I've had for years. I have used it on a turkey gun and it works good. For some reason though, I seem to be going back old school and getting away from scopes and red dots.
I sold my Benelli SBE2 because I didn't use it anymore, and replaced it with a pair of shotguns for turkey hunting. I had a 12 gauge 11-87 years ago that I wish I'd never sold, so I bought another one. I also bought another 20 gauge pump, a Winchester SXP. I wish I'd not bought the Winchester, as it's a damn Turkish made gun, something I either overlooked or forgot about. It shoots okay, but it operates very stiff. Also, I was checking the pattern, and had a 3 inch Longbeard in the chamber and a couple of target loads in the magazine. When I shot the Longbeard, and went to pump out the empty, the action was jammed by where the shells in the magazine had come loose, and had locked the action up. I have never had that happen on a pump shotgun, and I've had pumps for 60 years.

I'm debating as to whether or not to put that Winchester down the road. It handles nice, and doesn't weigh a lot, and shot a pretty decent pattern. But, a Model 12, or even a 1300, it's not.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 03/19/22
The SX4 is made by Browning in Portugal, not in Turkey like the SXP pump gun.
The SX4 is made by Browning in Portugal, not in Turkey like the SXP pump gun.

I'd been reading where the SXP was supposed to be a decent gun for the money, and I just wanted a 20 pump to have anyway. However, I expected a little better quality gun.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New turkey gun - 03/20/22
Nice gun. Very nice, indeed.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: New turkey gun - 03/20/22
Nice looking shotgun there and excellent choice on scope. Looks like a nice set up. I'll be real interested in seeing some patterns. I had the same gun in 12 but traded it in for a SBE3 recently. Lot of guys on the bigger turkey forums really like those Winchesters though.
Posted By: LFC Re: New turkey gun - 03/20/22
Went with the Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 RD with the illuminated K-Dot reticle. First time ever I'll be using a scope on a turkey gun and chose it because I had it. Solidly mounted and bore sighted and hoping to be able to do a little patterning soon. Cold, windy, rainy, nasty day today so not today! Lol! I'd hunt in it, but not going to mess with patterning in it. Getting closer and starting to come together...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And starting with the Patternmaster Code Black Turkey choke tube.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice looking set up....too bad it's just a twinky gauge.

( if you can find them I would try a 3" Hevi shot #5.)
Posted By: Remington280 Re: New turkey gun - 03/20/22
Yep, very nice looking shotgun, congrats.
I'd be curious as to what the fighting weight was ?

(loaded with ammo sling etc..)
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: New turkey gun - 03/20/22
"Nice looking set up....too bad it's just a twinky gauge."

"( if you can find them I would try a 3" Hevi shot #5.)"

I'm fine with it being a twinky gauge, fairy dust spreader. Can't hardly wait to tickle a big ol tom with it! Lol! Especially when the stuff works as good as it does. It's something to mess with for a while and keep me busy...

Looked around at different sites for 3" turkey loads, or any 3" 20ga loads, and am very glad I have what's needed for the foreseeable future...
You know she's going to get heavy when you stuff her full of the dust.....
Posted By: Kmox Re: New turkey gun - 03/27/22
Good looking rig!
Posted By: 78CJ Re: New turkey gun - 04/17/22
Originally Posted by LFC
I wouldn't waste a shell on a factory choke....

Huh?
Posted By: jaestridge Re: New turkey gun - 04/17/22
Been shooting a 20ga for some years now. Seems the big bore is collecting dust now..
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: New turkey gun - 04/18/22
My "new" turkey gun is a 1932 model Remington "The Sportsman" 16 gauge with a set of Briley choke tubes.
Rescued it from a pawn shop.
In 2019, I had shoulder replacement surgery and needed something with less recoil than my old Rem 870 12 bore!
This gun filled that bill!

I mulled it over for 3 years. The barrel that came with the gun is "imp cyl". Wanting an all purpose type gun, I eventually sent it to Briley and had it fitted for choke tubes.
I now have a mild recoiling, multipurpose, multi choke shotgun!
The "x-full" turkey choke shoots like a rifle out to about 20 yards before it begins to open up! 😃!
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: New turkey gun - 04/21/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Old girl that slings that pixie dust out 555 IC CHOKE been good to me
© 24hourcampfire