Home
Posted By: DeanAnderson Ticks - 04/17/24
We've talked about it here before, just want to share some stuff I do and use. Was just talking about Lyme's with my DR yesterday too, he told me not even 20% show the "rash". And because I've tested + twice now for Lyme... Anyway... Besides some different sprays, both skin and clothing only, this year I picked up some of the Gamehide Elimitic clothing after reading about here, so we'll see how it works. I bought pants, shirts, gloves and socks... I also like to carry a lint roller and occasionally run it over my clothing. Interesting sometimes how many ticks it picks up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: SKane Re: Ticks - 04/17/24
I'll let you be the guinea pig on the Elimitic clothing this year. Hope it works out for ya.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Ticks - 04/18/24
Lint roller ain't a bad idea !!!

Gonna be mixing up the permethrin any day now and spraying all my outerwear down.

A few years back, I went back to wearing bibs. I tuck them into my snake boots. Makes a tick REALLY earn it if he gets on to my bare hide.

Just a few weeks back I was hunting with a fellow who got Alpha-gal Syndrome from a tick. He can no longer eat red meat because of it. Becoming more prevalent in my area is DTV/Powassan virus. It runs a 10% - 15% mortality rate in humans. This tick-borne illness crap has gotten WAAAAY outta hand.

SPRAY DOWN, FELLERS !!!!!!
Posted By: pullit Re: Ticks - 04/18/24
Been lucky so far but I had never thought about a lint roller, will be using that trick
Posted By: dale06 Re: Ticks - 04/19/24
I’ve used permethrin for years and had zero ticks on me.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Ticks - 04/19/24
Have pulled about half a dozen off me so far. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use repellant or not.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Ticks - 04/19/24
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Have pulled about half a dozen off me so far. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use repellant or not.

Repellant such at DEET products on your skin and clothes?

Or permethrin on your clothes?

For years I used various Deet products on skin and clothes and would still get the occassional tick in spring turkey hunting or doibg yard work.

Started using permethrin on clothes and stopped seeing them. Not sure if it repels them or kills them or both but it works.

Also found it works great when sprayed on a shed door and shop window that used to get covered with box elder bugs and asian beetles. Find a bunch of them dead so it must kill them, suspect it does the same with ticks. (Cats dont seem to like it either.)

Reminds me I need to treat my working in yard clothes with permethrin.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Ticks - 04/19/24
Yep.

Repellant (100% DEET) is only semi-effective for ticks. I do, however, use it where permethrin can NOT be used...........on bare skin.

Permethrin repels AND kills ticks. It is the most effective way to keep them off of you, other than staying in the house all day, every day.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Ticks - 04/21/24
My dad was born in 1920 (1920-1981).
He used to tell me that the local farmers still used dipping vats. In the spring, they would burn off wooded areas.
Ticks and chiggers were a rare occurance. Then the USDA stepped in and banned dipping vats!
Of course, at the close of WWII, small farmers began to die off. Families moved away from family farms and the farms were sold off. Nobody burned off wooded areas anymore.

I've had chiggers so bad I ran a fever!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Ticks - 04/21/24
I remember an old dipping vat near where I live. Can't remember it being used. Finally filled in. I knew a woman once that had a plant nursery. Fleas would get on Her when they bothered no one else. She put flea collars around her ankles on the outside of Her boots. Claimed it kept both fleas and ticks off. miles
Posted By: badwolf Re: Ticks - 04/21/24
Gamehide has a 40% off sale going on elimitick clothes. You'll never have to mix up premethin or use bug spray again.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Ticks - 04/21/24
I treated my clothes and seat with Sawyers Permethrin. Before I go in the woods, I give my wrists, face and neck a liberal coating of Picaridin. No ticks, yet, but they'll get worse as it gets warmer. But the mosquitos have been thick. Sometimes they land take a bite before they are repelled. Very irritating when they target the corners of the eyes. When the sun starts to come up, I can see them swarming around over the leaves and pine needles. I silently cheer when I see one fly into one of the many spiderwebs that was all over the place. I take my thermocell, too. But that has been fairly ineffective. I have two and may take both next time and put one on either side of me.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Here's my unscientific evaluation of the Gamehide Elimitic clothing. I'm happy to report that I never had 1 tick on me. But, the other guys in camp not wearing Elimitic didn't either! Was very unusual, as there's always multiple tick encounters. Only negative I have about the clothing, it's hot and doesn't seem to breath. But it's also light weight and comfortable to wear. I'll be wearing it again this week and next as I finish out my spring turkey seasons in NE WI. My 40 is lower land surrounded by ag, and always has a bumper supply of mosquitoes so will be a good test for the clothing too, not just the tick repellent.
Posted By: killerv Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
I got bit on the stomach yesterday one while workin in the yard. Got him off quick, they say only takes about 15minutes for them to infect you. Had one once, still have a scar from it, joker tried to climb into me, all I could see was half his body, felt like a bee sting. Hate the things.

Anyway, I use the sawyer permethrin but have to be careful. Late season turkey hunts get hot and sweaty, and I swear it soaked into my skin through my wet clothes. I was seeing colors like an acid trip.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
I did confess to the guys I was hunting with, that I secretly wanted them covered in ticks while I remained tick free in the Elimitic clothing! Lol!
Posted By: SKane Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Here's my unscientific evaluation of the Gamehide Elimitic clothing. I'm happy to report that I never had 1 tick on me. But, the other guys in camp not wearing Elimitic didn't either! Was very unusual, as there's always multiple tick encounters. Only negative I have about the clothing, it's hot and doesn't seem to breath. But it's also light weight and comfortable to wear. I'll be wearing it again this week and next as I finish out my spring turkey seasons in NE WI. My 40 is lower land surrounded by ag, and always has a bumper supply of mosquitoes so will be a good test for the clothing too, not just the tick repellent.

The skeeters have a grudge against humans right now - prepare yourself, my friend. grin
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Reading this thread makes me thankful for fire ants. I remember what it was like with the ticks before their arrival.
Posted By: dantheman223wssm Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Alright I’m going to throw this out there and don’t you guys get all excited at once. At one of the sports shows I picked up a suit of rhino hide. About as form fitting as it gets and I bought them about 40lbs ago so snug is an understatement. That top and bottom under a set of bibs tucked into my muck boots has kept the ticks off pretty well. Combined with permethrin.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
I buy permethrin by the gallon from Amazon. One gallon generally treats all my hunting clothes for both the Fall and Spring seasons. Since I began using it, I’ve not had a single tick make it to my tender hide. I lay it on pretty thick when I spray.

The other day, I was undressing and noticed a dog tick on the knee of my pants, which had been sprayed weeks before, and laundered several times. That tick was still alive, but just barely. I doubt he’d have made it much farther.

One weak point in the armor is your head. The directions tell you not to spray hats, and ticks can drop on you or grab onto your hat. My solution is to spray my hat anyway.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Originally Posted by dantheman223wssm
Alright I’m going to throw this out there and don’t you guys get all excited at once. At one of the sports shows I picked up a suit of rhino hide. About as form fitting as it gets and I bought them about 40lbs ago so snug is an understatement. That top and bottom under a set of bibs tucked into my muck boots has kept the ticks off pretty well. Combined with permethrin.

Do you have pics of you in that outfit? I don’t want to see them, but someone might😂
Posted By: dantheman223wssm Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
They are on my fans only page
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Ticks - 05/20/24
Permethrin is the gas. I use it all the time.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Permethrin might kill me, but ticks won't....
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Lol! I had a Rhino suit too, and they're a whole new level of tight! And yes, pics are only for the intimate! Lol! The cuffs are just too tight for me, how the suit works is it denies entry at the cuffs, waist and neck line. End of the day, for me, the Rhino suit worked, but was so tight it was just too uncomfortable! So now, with the Elimitick clothing, sprays for clothes and skin I go forth! Good thing turkeys can't smell! Lol!
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Rhino suits are like yoga pants, not everyone should wear them out in public! Lol!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Reading this thread makes me thankful for fire ants. I remember what it was like with the ticks before their arrival.

You're not kidding.

One year, I waged jihad on the fire ants in my yard, zapping every single mound. We had the biggest explosion of ticks ever! We'd be lying in bed and see a tick crawling on the bed sheets.

Now, I let the fire ant mound live, if it's not in a problem area. Nature is back in balance that way.
Posted By: Q_Sertorius Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Chickens do a great job of keeping ticks under control. Ticks are really bad in central Virginia, but both my brothers say that having chickens has really cut down their tick worries.
Posted By: Q_Sertorius Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Getting alpha gal might make you wish you were dead.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608
Posted By: dantheman223wssm Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
That alpha gal terrifies me. No steak no animal products. I told my wife just take me out to pasture and shoot me like ole yeller. My buddy got it and it has kicked his butt.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Getting alpha gal might make you wish you were dead.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

I meant ticks won't kill me but permethrin might because I use the heck out of it. I wasn't clear. Sorry about that.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Interesting read.

I've never been impressed with my thermacell when I tried it so back to on-body chemicals.

Good idea on the lint roller....

Last year at Memorial day, I went turkey hunting that morning wearing my permenthrin coated clothes and didnt notice any ticks (its also cool in northern MN mornings). Later that after noon, I went flagging property lines for brush clearing with my brother and I didnt wear my turkey gear...

I stopped counting after 100 ticks and they were coming out of the seams for 2 days. Permenthrin WORKS!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
Chickens do a great job of keeping ticks under control. Ticks are really bad in central Virginia, but both my brothers say that having chickens has really cut down their tick worries.

Guinea hens do an even better job and seem to be a little more adept at avoiding the predators.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
Originally Posted by dantheman223wssm
They are on my fans only page

👍🏻
Posted By: hanco Re: Ticks - 05/21/24
We had lots of ticks years ago. I guess the fire ants killed them all
© 24hourcampfire