Print Thread
Hop To
#19391420 04/17/24
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
We've talked about it here before, just want to share some stuff I do and use. Was just talking about Lyme's with my DR yesterday too, he told me not even 20% show the "rash". And because I've tested + twice now for Lyme... Anyway... Besides some different sprays, both skin and clothing only, this year I picked up some of the Gamehide Elimitic clothing after reading about here, so we'll see how it works. I bought pants, shirts, gloves and socks... I also like to carry a lint roller and occasionally run it over my clothing. Interesting sometimes how many ticks it picks up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 04/17/24. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll let you be the guinea pig on the Elimitic clothing this year. Hope it works out for ya.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lint roller ain't a bad idea !!!

Gonna be mixing up the permethrin any day now and spraying all my outerwear down.

A few years back, I went back to wearing bibs. I tuck them into my snake boots. Makes a tick REALLY earn it if he gets on to my bare hide.

Just a few weeks back I was hunting with a fellow who got Alpha-gal Syndrome from a tick. He can no longer eat red meat because of it. Becoming more prevalent in my area is DTV/Powassan virus. It runs a 10% - 15% mortality rate in humans. This tick-borne illness crap has gotten WAAAAY outta hand.

SPRAY DOWN, FELLERS !!!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been lucky so far but I had never thought about a lint roller, will be using that trick

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used permethrin for years and had zero ticks on me.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have pulled about half a dozen off me so far. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use repellant or not.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Have pulled about half a dozen off me so far. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use repellant or not.

Repellant such at DEET products on your skin and clothes?

Or permethrin on your clothes?

For years I used various Deet products on skin and clothes and would still get the occassional tick in spring turkey hunting or doibg yard work.

Started using permethrin on clothes and stopped seeing them. Not sure if it repels them or kills them or both but it works.

Also found it works great when sprayed on a shed door and shop window that used to get covered with box elder bugs and asian beetles. Find a bunch of them dead so it must kill them, suspect it does the same with ticks. (Cats dont seem to like it either.)

Reminds me I need to treat my working in yard clothes with permethrin.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.

Repellant (100% DEET) is only semi-effective for ticks. I do, however, use it where permethrin can NOT be used...........on bare skin.

Permethrin repels AND kills ticks. It is the most effective way to keep them off of you, other than staying in the house all day, every day.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad was born in 1920 (1920-1981).
He used to tell me that the local farmers still used dipping vats. In the spring, they would burn off wooded areas.
Ticks and chiggers were a rare occurance. Then the USDA stepped in and banned dipping vats!
Of course, at the close of WWII, small farmers began to die off. Families moved away from family farms and the farms were sold off. Nobody burned off wooded areas anymore.

I've had chiggers so bad I ran a fever!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 04/20/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember an old dipping vat near where I live. Can't remember it being used. Finally filled in. I knew a woman once that had a plant nursery. Fleas would get on Her when they bothered no one else. She put flea collars around her ankles on the outside of Her boots. Claimed it kept both fleas and ticks off. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gamehide has a 40% off sale going on elimitick clothes. You'll never have to mix up premethin or use bug spray again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I treated my clothes and seat with Sawyers Permethrin. Before I go in the woods, I give my wrists, face and neck a liberal coating of Picaridin. No ticks, yet, but they'll get worse as it gets warmer. But the mosquitos have been thick. Sometimes they land take a bite before they are repelled. Very irritating when they target the corners of the eyes. When the sun starts to come up, I can see them swarming around over the leaves and pine needles. I silently cheer when I see one fly into one of the many spiderwebs that was all over the place. I take my thermocell, too. But that has been fairly ineffective. I have two and may take both next time and put one on either side of me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Angus1895, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,151
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.