https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2665402425
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
I wouldn't give $8.50 for it. Nevermind $850.00
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Plywood stocks never floated my boat.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
ugly
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Never cared for plywood on my boats either!
Posted By: gunrunner49 Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
All it needs is curb feelers and dice hanging off of the scope.As my Mom used to say,"Its tacky".
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Glad i dont have epilepsy . That could cause one to have a fit.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
If I had a fine pre-64 WInchester featherweight 270 and that Savage, I'd hunt the schit out of that levergun.
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
I almost threw up in my mouth.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Shouldn't have to worry about tang cracks...or someone stealing it.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Ugliness aside, and it is indeed ugly, the workmanship is admirable. Check out that forearm work. Someone put a lot of effort into creating that abomination. grin
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20

FUGLY
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Just saying,looked kinda gay....? MB
Posted By: damnesia Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Pretty much sinks my boat, but I can admire the work done to it. Probably could have been a decent rifle if the maker would have used walnut or some sort of real wood.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If I had a fine pre-64 WInchester featherweight 270 and that Savage, I'd hunt the schit out of that levergun.

Do you not like .270s or were you referring to hunting the gun you don't care about getting screwed up?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20

Saw that coming from a mile away...
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
At least it's a 99E.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Oh Dear - 06/21/20
Ok, time for me to get tar and feather treatment. Normally I do not gravitate to that sort of Tom-foolery, BUT for some unexplainable reason I can't soberly justify, I kinda like it. I would like to see it in darker wood, I having a clairvoyant moment that tells me not to post this, but I've done more stupider things in my time. crazy
Posted By: triple_deuce Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Not my thing but then again its not my rifle either. Whatever keeps them shooting i guess.

Joe
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
I have a 99E that had the worst looking furniture ....too my eyes...that you ever seen! "Louisville slugger" look alike.....almost to the point that I would pass it along..... I talked, listened, and learned so much on this sight. I now have a great shooter and a decent looking rifle!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
That's priced in NZ dollars, so about $545 US. Still too much, but not as outrageous as it seemed at first blush.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Doesn't exactly float my cup of tea but it seems like a worthy effort for an E. I had one in 308 and had crossed my mind to do something functional with it until I decided no more 99 projects for me and sold it to a forum member.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
The first word that came to mind was WHY?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by oldotter
Ok, time for me to get tar and feather treatment. Normally I do not gravitate to that sort of Tom-foolery, BUT for some unexplainable reason I can't soberly justify, I kinda like it. I would like to see it in darker wood, I having a clairvoyant moment that tells me not to post this, but I've done more stupider things in my time. crazy

Oldotter, is the key word in your post "soberly"? laugh
Posted By: Dale K Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
This may get me run off the site but I've been toying with the idea of a similar stock for a Ruger 77 that I own. Boyds Gunstocks has it, they call it Coyote Laminate. That said, I don't think I'd like it on a 99. But I think their nutmeg laminate would look good. On this 99 though, those huge white flats right behind the receiver really turn me off.

I wonder if someone figured out how many layers and what thickness to get that white layer right there?

Dale
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Me thinks it looks great!

If it was in a pawn shop nearby......I would make an offer....I like it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by 99guy

Saw that coming from a mile away...

Here's the Model 70 and it sits in the safe while I hunt the Savages.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
I'd hunt a laminate stock. It's just the color choice doesn't match up with what I like. Too much white. Personal tase.

It is what it is.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
nothing a coat of paint wouldn't take care of. grin
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
nothing a coat of paint wouldn't take care of. grin

Or nice warm fire on a chilly night.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
I'm all for experimental woodworking and sustainable wood use. Engineered wood is the way of the future. Pretty walnut stocks on field-grade guns have already been replaced by plastic.

My problem with plywood gunstocks is that they are 50% heavier than walnut, so the hogged out forearm and V-block is a creative solution to lightening-up this stock.
So what's up with the weight of plywood stocks? Is it the type of wood used or the glue or all of the above that makes them heavy? I always though an E done up in a fiberglass or plastic stock painted green or brown with webbing (something along the lines of what Remington does) would have looked about as good as it gets for modern field guns. And then having the gun hard chromed with a satin finish would have taken it to the next level for durability. Plywood is okay but not my first choice in terms of aesthetics for today.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by S99VG
So what's up with the weight of plywood stocks? Is it the type of wood used or the glue or all of the above that makes them heavy? I always though an E done up in a fiberglass or plastic stock painted green or brown with webbing (something along the lines of what Remington does) would have looked about as good as it gets for modern field guns. And then having the gun hard chromed with a satin finish would have taken it to the next level for durability. Plywood is okay but not my first choice in terms of aesthetics for today.

Did I ever show you guys photos of the ceracoated guns? grin grin
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20

Remember back, when those uglies at the bar started looking good at 3am? That's never gonna happen here.

Did I ever show you guys photos of the ceracoated guns? grin grin

Yes, and I often quote you on the "clubability" of the 99R! Your observation on the weight of the R summed it up better than anything else I have ever read or heard.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
I think it is the color that I object to the most. I have 10-22's in laminate stocks and don't object to the looks.

Here are the other colors available...
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
We all have different tastes. I defend anyone's right to pick out something ugly.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Now this guy has very, very different tastes... but it started out his grandfathere's 1899H in 22HP that came out of a fire, so he didn't hurt anything.

But... wow. Would NOT be my style choice.

Not mine either. Camouflage is an interesting thing. As I understand it, camo isn't intended to mimic any particular environment but more so to break up the lines of the thing or person it is hiding. It does so by masking the the object so it doesn't appear to have the recognizable patters, sizes, geometry, shapes, mass or what have you to the observer. And in that vein camouflage attempts to deceiver the observer into thinking the thing he is about to run into isn't even there. But that is one butt ugly 99!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
That's ugly too.
What S99VG says is correct. The people in Scotland developed plaid clothing to break up their outlines so the limey soldiers couldn't spot them in the shadows. Those red and black wool shirts and jackets we all love do the same especially for critters that are color blind like moose, elk, deer, wildebeast, etc. There is some debate about whether proghorns are color blind.
When we hid our deuce and a halfs in the woods on Camp Pendleton, we had to throw camouflage over that big black hole at the back of the bed cover so it wouldn't show to the enemy. Even negative spaces need camouflage since there are very few big black holes in nature. OK, there are cave openings.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Not mine either. Camouflage is an interesting thing. As I understand it, camo isn't intended to mimic any particular environment but more so to break up the lines of the thing or person it is hiding. It does so by masking the the object so it doesn't appear to have the recognizable patters, sizes, geometry, shapes, mass or what have you to the observer. And in that vein camouflage attempts to deceiver the observer into thinking the thing he is about to run into isn't even there. But that is one butt ugly 99!

I think that's partly correct, and works for deer, moose, etc. However camo is a different thing when it comes to turkeys, ducks, etc. At least that's how I understand it.
Originally Posted by damnesia

I think that's partly correct, and works for deer, moose, etc. However camo is a different thing when it comes to turkeys, ducks, etc. At least that's how I understand it.

I guess I was thinking about people.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20
Almost resembles the original thread..... wink grin
Posted By: damnesia Re: Oh Dear - 06/22/20

I guess I was thinking about people.

Pffft, WTH do I know? i know if I dress in non local camo turkeys and ducks won't come anywhere near me. I should probably read more and get some science behind me, but instead just emulate what I was taught laugh
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/23/20
Birds have entirely different eyesight than humans. I'm not a bird hunter but I can understand why it would take something that truly blends in to fool most birds. I say most birds because all birds weren't created equal. From Damnesia's post it sounds like ducks and turkeys have really good eyesight. Raptors do too. Non game birds maybe not.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Oh Dear - 06/23/20
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Birds have entirely different eyesight than humans. I'm not a bird hunter but I can understand why it would take something that truly blends in to fool most birds. I say most birds because all birds weren't created equal. From Damnesia's post it sounds like ducks and turkeys have really good eyesight. Raptors do too. Non game birds maybe not.

I know I certainly can't camouflage myself from fish!
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
try a mermaid or merman suit.
Posted By: damnesia Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20

LOL. you beat me to it!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
That's ugly too.
What S99VG says is correct. The people in Scotland developed plaid clothing to break up their outlines so the limey soldiers couldn't spot them in the shadows. Those red and black wool shirts and jackets we all love do the same especially for critters that are color blind like moose, elk, deer, wildebeast, etc. There is some debate about whether proghorns are color blind.
When we hid our deuce and a halfs in the woods on Camp Pendleton, we had to throw camouflage over that big black hole at the back of the bed cover so it wouldn't show to the enemy. Even negative spaces need camouflage since there are very few big black holes in nature. OK, there are cave openings.

and how are caves discovered? by seeing a big black hole in the hillside!
i have a couple plywood stocked rifles, one a 1895 marlin, and one a Gasp! Savage model 10! both are for bad weather when i dislike taking out my walnut. the only thing i have against laminated stocks is the weight, and its not Walnut! grin
even have one plastic stock. those are just too darn noisy!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
I love the marlin TK and the later glenfield 30 s. Strip the faux walnut stain to the birch or beech? Blonde wood. I also had a 99 H with blonde fruitwood I thought was rather handsome color.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
Hey Fireball, how much for the featherweight???
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
A lady at a gun show said she thought the prettiest rifle in the display was my blond stocked 1965 vintage 99E. I'm real sure there was a PE in the display too not to mention some other much nicer rifles than the E. We all have different tastes.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20

LOL. you beat me to it!

Trust me, a sight like that would injure your eyes for life!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Oh Dear - 06/24/20
Years ago one company made the only laminated stock I ever really liked. They took a blank and sawed it in half in line with the bore and then glued the two pieces back together with the grain lined in opposing directions. They said it pretty much accomplished the same thing as a plywood stock but looked much better. I don't know if it accomplished the same thing but they looked better than plywood stocks.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Oh Dear - 06/25/20
Good to see you gentlemen had fun on that rifle
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Oh Dear - 06/26/20
Sand off all the finish and stain it very dark. Then have a black hard chrome job done on the bead blasted metal. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: oldotter Re: Oh Dear - 06/26/20
Spoken like a true gentleman.
Posted By: Savage94C Re: Oh Dear - 06/28/20
My two cents on 'the plywood'/'laminate' stock is that it's too light as many have advised. While I'll always take and vote for a solid walnut wood stock any day over a laminate or plastic, I do have several Mauser K98k WW2 rifles with laminate stocks that are tough as a nail. Also have a Remington 870 Magnum Express 3" chambered 12 gu that I love for turkey, deer, and pheasant hunting that has a laminate stock, but it's a dark brown. The impressed checkering sucks, but I ignore it as much as possible. I don't abuse my firearms like I've seen some do over the years, but the finish on the 870 can take a hit that would destroy the looks of a pricier model. While a shiny blued barrel, nice grained finely finished walnut 870 looks nicer, the Express 870 is perfect for tough hunting conditions. I've seen alot of laminate stocks on the market in more brown and black tone colors that look nice, in fact ya can get them in about any color of the rainbow. I'll pass on the pink and green ones. The Savage stock that started this post doesn't have the original looks of a 99, I could live with that (maybe), but that light wood just doesn't cut it for me. Same goes for unstained maple guitar bodies, that blonde look just isn't appealing IMO.
© 24hourcampfire