Home
When I first went onto this forum there was a thread on restored 99s. I've looked but I'll be damned if I can find that thread anywhere in my searches. So after that I thought what the heck, why not start a new post and give everyone something to look at. I don't have anything to put up but I sure think it would be interesting to see pictures of 99s and other Savages that you guys have restored or made into custom rifles. So be them full blown or humble projects, please post if so inclined. Thanks.
Yes, quite a few. Ctw put me together a .17-22/250. Others in 22/250, 250, 270 Titus, 338 Federal. Can't remember them all at the moment.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yes, quite a few. Ctw put me together a .17-22/250. Others in 22/250, 250, 270 Titus, 338 Federal. Can't remember them all at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Since you're sending all your smoke up here to us I'm inside today. Maybe I can shift gears and get some guns out for photos. Here's some I have on file.

This is a .221 Falcon done by Gary Reeder

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's plenty of lurkers, few that will admit to it. Go ahead and say it - "I'm a 99 tinker bell and proud!" I've tried my hand at "improving" several 99's. I still own and shoot most of them, (since I'm not a qualified gunsmith I can't sell them..)

There are plenty of "well-repaired" examples, that will easily pass the 5'-look test

What sort of restoration are you looking for? Turnbull has done some tasteful (respectful of original character) 99 restorations, as well as the Griffin&Howe customs of a generation ago.

What sort of customization are your looking at? custom cartridge? custom stock?

google search "custom Savage 99" offered a bunch of pictures.
250-3000

17-22/250 that Chris/ctw rebarreled for me. I did the hideous stocks. It has a matte finish scope on it now.

You got me on that 250-3000!
Love the wood on it!
The only photo I have of the 338 Federal. It's been re-scoped with a smaller scope. Shot it a couple days ago. Sighted in at 225 yards with 160 Barnes ttsx.

270 Titus, which is the 300 Savage necked down to .277.

Everyones favorite 358. Love it or hate it, it is an awesome rainy weather 99 for late Oregon elk hunts.

Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Love the wood on it!

Some guns are for hunting, some are for lookin' at! grin

I haven't been around custom high end work, but that gun has about as good as I can imagine.
Originally Posted by JeffG
There's plenty of lurkers, few that will admit to it. Go ahead and say it - "I'm a 99 tinker bell and proud!" I've tried my hand at "improving" several 99's. I still own and shoot most of them, (since I'm not a qualified gunsmith I can't sell them..)

There are plenty of "well-repaired" examples, that will easily pass the 5'-look test

What sort of restoration are you looking for? Turnbull has done some tasteful (respectful of original character) 99 restorations, as well as the Griffin&Howe customs of a generation ago.

What sort of customization are your looking at? custom cartridge? custom stock?

google search "custom Savage 99" offered a bunch of pictures.

I’m not looking for anything myself other than to stir up some eye candy on this forum and give some guys the opportunity to strut their stuff. Not every Savage is a pristine original or an honored grey rat. Some can use some help or be refinished into great looking and handling rifles. That’s all I’m looking for in this post.
This is my earliest custom (18)99, a first series 250-3000. It came to me with the mannlicher forend on it, which has all the appearances of being the same vintage as the rest of the rifle.

[Linked Image]
Real nice .250-3000 fireball!!!
the wood on that 250-3000 gave me wood Roy and i am an old guy! smile
Originally Posted by JeffG
This is my earliest custom (18)99, a first series 250-3000. It came to me with the mannlicher forend on it, which has all the appearances of being the same vintage as the rest of the rifle.

[Linked Image]

That Mannlicher is spectacular!
I'd buy that in the blink of an eye if I saw it at a show or in a shop!
NICE!!!!!!!
Would the owner please post an image of the infamous "Pig Gun" from the first SavageFest?

Cheers!
Bert, I new someone would ask !!! Custom 99F made by a member here LRF. Half octagon takedown in 30-30, savage never (maybe never) made a octagon takedown.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

Thx Don!
Wow, those are some reel lookers you guys got going on there!
Originally Posted by Loggah
Bert, I new someone would ask !!! Custom 99F made by a member here LRF. Half octagon takedown in 30-30, savage never (maybe never) made a octagon takedown.

WOW!! That is a real ball buster! NICE!
Thanks for sharing! stunning rifle!
zoom in to see 30-30 engraved receiver too! That is a special one for sure!
Gorgeous rifles, thanks to all for posting them.
30-284

Lee
Dang, forgot the 30-284. It just looks like a 99RT.
very nice!
good wood can even make gold triggers look good!
[Linked Image]
I have this, a 243, 900,000 serial range. Someone put a stock and forearm on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had an 1895 restored. Does that count?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...avage-1895-before-and-after#Post15143797
Link is not working.
FB2, that 250-3000 appears to have some quality wood work. Can you/anyone ball park the price to have that type of work done (make the stock and checking less the wood)
One I did a few years ago now. Started from scratch with a horrid but complete bare action. 1899H two-barrel setup, .22HP and .303. Non-factory configuration, sort of a flight of fantasy- ebony grip cap, improper grip radius for a 1913 gun (lettered as a .22HP), rust blued, varnished, etc.

I also recall "the Counselor," Mark, bringing a car load of great custom Griffith and Howe 99s in the back of his red Toyota hatchback back at SF1. I have a picture somewhere.

Where did those custom guns go? Were they water damaged in a flood? Mark specialized in custom rifles, IIRC.
Originally Posted by forshoes

Full link:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15143816/my-new-1895#Post15143816

Pics:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...avage-1895-before-and-after#Post15143797
Originally Posted by Rick99
FB2, that 250-3000 appears to have some quality wood work. Can you/anyone ball park the price to have that type of work done (make the stock and checking less the wood)

Rick, I can't tell you what work like that costs. I can tell you that a few years ago that rifle cost about what a PE would fetch on todays market. I'm not even sure why I got it, it just sits in the safe in a case. I'm not a very good collector, I want to shoot them.
Nice stuff guys!

Yes it does. As a matter of fact half this post was intended to be about restored 99s.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Love the wood on it!

Some guns are for hunting, some are for lookin' at! grin

I haven't been around custom high end work, but that gun has about as good as I can imagine.

I would take that beautiful rifle hunting!
Life is far too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Here is a 99E .300 sav that I restored for a friend, he had bought it at a garage sale[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I fixed one up after I became obsessed with this forum. 1952 EG 300 savage. Safety was broken, rotor stuck, stock kinda shabby, front sling swivel stud that held on forend stripped. Put on tang sight and flip up rear sight. Refinished the stock and fixed minor issues. Still looking for affordable sling swivels. Nothing terribly bad, but a little work. Got a lot of help here.
Nothing as fancy as some of the rifles here, but it shoots great and everything works now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pulp fiction wallpaper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]fate stay night wallpaper
Originally Posted by SS336
I fixed one up after I became obsessed with this forum. 1952 EG 300 savage. Safety was broken, rotor stuck, stock kinda shabby, front sling swivel stud that held on forend stripped. Put on tang sight and flip up rear sight. Refinished the stock and fixed minor issues. Still looking for affordable sling swivels. Nothing terribly bad, but a little work. Got a lot of help here.
Nothing as fancy as some of the rifles here, but it shoots great and everything works now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pulp fiction wallpaper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]fate stay night wallpaper

That's beautiful!
Thank you. I am smitten with it. I look at it as the Savage forum special, because of the help here from all the regulars such as yourself.
I don't know if these are the ones, It is a pic from SF1 at Jed's, the guy with the "trunk full" of Savages.

Attached picture pic34.jpg
Some really nice rifles guys!! Thanks for posting.

Joe
Those were the ones Blitz. Mark was talking above my head when he was describing those custom pieces. I just remember a couple were Griffith and Howe and other had even more illustrious pedigrees.

TOO long ago. His moniker was something like "Vigilus." He came to SF2 as well.
Originally Posted by Blitz
I don't know if these are the ones, It is a pic from SF1 at Jed's, the guy with the "trunk full" of Savages.

What ever happened to Jed and LuLu?
They're living the good life down south
Originally Posted by model70man
What ever happened to Jed and LuLu?

Jed is an arborist/gator catcher in Florida.

Any more restored savages out there?
This is a retoration I wouldn't have bought if there was better light. But I still like it a lot. It has a hairline crack running through the pistol grip that is only on the out side of the stock. When you pull the stock off there is no sign of the crack inside. I've only shot it once and it was dead on at 50. Who ever did the resto left a couple issues. The rotor needs to be tightened a little. I't very loose and doesn't cycle well. I like to hunt all of my guns, so at least I won't be so worried about scratching it, that I drop it. 1912 SRC in 30-30
I don't know if you call this a custom, wearing the cantilevered Malcolm scope. It lettered as being sold to Malcolm.
Nice. I'd say the Malcom is an example of an early custom. And a well preserved one at that. Thanks
When I bought this 250/300 it was advertised as having "a small crack in the stock". When the stock bolt was removed it literally fell in two pieces at the wrist. It also had an epoxy patch in the checkering and a chunk missing in the forearm. Thanks to Clint Meier this is how it looks today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
That's certainly easy on the eyes.
Must be something about 250 Savages, but I sure like Keystone 250 and Fireball’s rifles. They are both what I would like to own.

Originally Posted by Keystone 250
When I bought this 250/300 it was advertised as having "a small crack in the stock". When the stock bolt was removed it literally fell in two pieces at the wrist. It also had an epoxy patch in the checkering and a chunk missing in the forearm. Thanks to Clint Meier this is how it looks today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.
Somebody long ago had this restored, probably the work was done by Melvin Johnson after WW2. A very early 1899B in 303 Savage with B engraving, English walnut upgrade and $5 factory checkering refinished and rebarreled to 250-3000 with a Johnson Automatics barrel. Shoots better than I can. Family heirloom, it's not going anywhere.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

Originally Posted by JoeMartin
This is a retoration I wouldn't have bought if there was better light. But I still like it a lot. It has a hairline crack running through the pistol grip that is only on the out side of the stock. When you pull the stock off there is no sign of the crack inside. I've only shot it once and it was dead on at 50. Who ever did the resto left a couple issues. The rotor needs to be tightened a little. I't very loose and doesn't cycle well. I like to hunt all of my guns, so at least I won't be so worried about scratching it, that I drop it. 1912 SRC in 30-30

Looks like you need to tighten the rotor ....or take it out and have a look at it.
After working on one here ( 1911 ish .303 Savage) the info was 36 Threads per inch reverse threads on the spindle carrier screw. The cap screw on the end of it would be hard to duplicate.
I have one, a 99F with a bunch of changes. I've shown it on here before. I'm too busy getting ready for a book related road trip and entertaining guests who picked a bad time to come to post pics again.
A Heinz 57 model 99. Custom stock, non matching barrel and frame, 250-3000.

Attached picture 9B182F8E-4776-45EC-9CA4-78BDD5153D17.jpeg
Interesting! Weatherby style.
This is the only Savage I've refinished the metal on. It's ~1919 250-3000 that came to me in parts. It had been badly refinished, someone thought they were much better with a buffing wheel than they actually were. The stock had been cut for a recoil pad and someone had their name engraved on the receiver. I draw filed it, made the flats flat and the corners sharp again, then rust blued it. I tracked down a decent butt and refinished the wood. This was the result of my first time using varnish. I'm not 100% pleased with the result, but this is my go to varmint gun for my property, so it gets banged around a bit. I have a grip cap for it, but the holes to keep it centered aren't really there anymore, so I'm trying to decided how to make it stay centered. It's been so long without one, I think I may just use a bit of silicon or glue maybe. I am nowhere near happy about the stain I used on the wood, before the varnish it looked a lot more red.

[Linked Image]

The previous guy almost buffed the address on the barrel completely off it. I was thinking about having it redone but can't find someone to do it and the longer it's been done the less I care. This is essentially my truck/quad gun.

So I finally took the time tonight to figure how to post pictures. Here is often talked about, but never seen until today, my "custom" 35 Rem EG as built by our friend CTW (Chris). Donor gun is a 1954 EG. It is the only "custom" or "Bubba" gun I have. But, it is just some kind of cool. It's going hunting this fall.
I love the idea of a 35 Rem 99, great choice and an exceptional gun. Thanks for posting the pics.
This one got a new forearm and recoil pad. Had a heck of a time finding the right pad.

Lee
That's an interesting forearm, I don't recall seeing one like that before.
Originally Posted by damnesia
That's an interesting forearm, I don't recall seeing one like that before.

358 Brush gun.

Lee
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I don't know if you call this a custom, wearing the cantilevered Malcolm scope. It lettered as being sold to Malcolm.

That is so cool!
I love that rig.
Great photos!
Thanks guys. Lots of lookers in this post!
I just bought one that seems pretty damn custom.
I'll post pictures of it in a week or 2 when it arrives.
I cant wait!
I got this one in 250-3000 at one of the Savage fests a few years ago in a multi-gun trade/sale. I think there were about 5 guns involved and a few Benjamin's too. A lot of mine were collector grade and I came wanting to sell but the trade was the only way to make it work. I also walked away with .375 and .358 brush guns as part of the deal. We both were happy.

I'm a lefty so I thought what the heck!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I recently added this one to the stable. I'm extremely pleased with it. I have something for engraved guns.....

Originally Posted by ROMAC
I got this one in 250-3000 at one of the Savage fests a few years ago in a multi-gun trade/sale. I think there were about 5 guns involved and a few Benjamin's too. A lot of mine were collector grade and I came wanting to sell but the trade was the only way to make it work. I also walked away with .375 and .358 brush guns as part of the deal. We both were happy.

Damn! That is some beautiful stock work!
I'd love to own that rifle if it was right handed! A real beauty!
I recently added this one to the stable. I'm extremely pleased with it. I have something for engraved guns.....

Very nicely done, I'd be extremely pleased too!

Lee
There are some awesome guns on here I would be proud to own.
Originally Posted by Keystone 250

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good.
Indeed all excellent customs of heirloom quality. Anyone have a restoration project to put up? Thanks
ok i'll play. this is a post mil i got because i wanted a 308 and my finger just wouldn't stop on a 125.00 bid on GB for a barreled action.
i made the butt stock, bought the forearm and checkered both. blo finished and i fills the 308 hole in my cabinet!
[Linked Image]
Making the butt stock. That's impressive!
just the other day i discovered 5 more short blanks i had stashed 30 years ago. i milled the tree a huge black walnut tree in Salem Ore about 1980. had these blanks left over and stuck them in a trailer on the back of the property when i moved here. a couple are very nice. think maybe this winter i will try to find another barreled action and whittle another butt and forearm. built myself another checkering cradle so that should keep me busy til spring.
Originally Posted by ROMAC

Beautiful rifle! I'm a southpaw and would love one like that!
don't stop now.
© 24hourcampfire