Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know if these are the ones, It is a pic from SF1 at Jed's, the guy with the "trunk full" of Savages.

Attached Images
pic34.jpg (37.21 KB, 456 downloads)

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some really nice rifles guys!! Thanks for posting.

Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those were the ones Blitz. Mark was talking above my head when he was describing those custom pieces. I just remember a couple were Griffith and Howe and other had even more illustrious pedigrees.

TOO long ago. His moniker was something like "Vigilus." He came to SF2 as well.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Blitz
I don't know if these are the ones, It is a pic from SF1 at Jed's, the guy with the "trunk full" of Savages.

What ever happened to Jed and LuLu?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They're living the good life down south

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
What ever happened to Jed and LuLu?

Jed is an arborist/gator catcher in Florida.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Any more restored savages out there?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a retoration I wouldn't have bought if there was better light. But I still like it a lot. It has a hairline crack running through the pistol grip that is only on the out side of the stock. When you pull the stock off there is no sign of the crack inside. I've only shot it once and it was dead on at 50. Who ever did the resto left a couple issues. The rotor needs to be tightened a little. I't very loose and doesn't cycle well. I like to hunt all of my guns, so at least I won't be so worried about scratching it, that I drop it. 1912 SRC in 30-30

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know if you call this a custom, wearing the cantilevered Malcolm scope. It lettered as being sold to Malcolm.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice. I'd say the Malcom is an example of an early custom. And a well preserved one at that. Thanks

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
When I bought this 250/300 it was advertised as having "a small crack in the stock". When the stock bolt was removed it literally fell in two pieces at the wrist. It also had an epoxy patch in the checkering and a chunk missing in the forearm. Thanks to Clint Meier this is how it looks today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That's certainly easy on the eyes.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Must be something about 250 Savages, but I sure like Keystone 250 and Fireball’s rifles. They are both what I would like to own.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Keystone 250
When I bought this 250/300 it was advertised as having "a small crack in the stock". When the stock bolt was removed it literally fell in two pieces at the wrist. It also had an epoxy patch in the checkering and a chunk missing in the forearm. Thanks to Clint Meier this is how it looks today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Somebody long ago had this restored, probably the work was done by Melvin Johnson after WW2. A very early 1899B in 303 Savage with B engraving, English walnut upgrade and $5 factory checkering refinished and rebarreled to 250-3000 with a Johnson Automatics barrel. Shoots better than I can. Family heirloom, it's not going anywhere.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
This is a retoration I wouldn't have bought if there was better light. But I still like it a lot. It has a hairline crack running through the pistol grip that is only on the out side of the stock. When you pull the stock off there is no sign of the crack inside. I've only shot it once and it was dead on at 50. Who ever did the resto left a couple issues. The rotor needs to be tightened a little. I't very loose and doesn't cycle well. I like to hunt all of my guns, so at least I won't be so worried about scratching it, that I drop it. 1912 SRC in 30-30

Looks like you need to tighten the rotor ....or take it out and have a look at it.
After working on one here ( 1911 ish .303 Savage) the info was 36 Threads per inch reverse threads on the spindle carrier screw. The cap screw on the end of it would be hard to duplicate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one, a 99F with a bunch of changes. I've shown it on here before. I'm too busy getting ready for a book related road trip and entertaining guests who picked a bad time to come to post pics again.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Heinz 57 model 99. Custom stock, non matching barrel and frame, 250-3000.

Attached Images
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting! Weatherby style.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is the only Savage I've refinished the metal on. It's ~1919 250-3000 that came to me in parts. It had been badly refinished, someone thought they were much better with a buffing wheel than they actually were. The stock had been cut for a recoil pad and someone had their name engraved on the receiver. I draw filed it, made the flats flat and the corners sharp again, then rust blued it. I tracked down a decent butt and refinished the wood. This was the result of my first time using varnish. I'm not 100% pleased with the result, but this is my go to varmint gun for my property, so it gets banged around a bit. I have a grip cap for it, but the holes to keep it centered aren't really there anymore, so I'm trying to decided how to make it stay centered. It's been so long without one, I think I may just use a bit of silicon or glue maybe. I am nowhere near happy about the stain I used on the wood, before the varnish it looked a lot more red.

[Linked Image]

The previous guy almost buffed the address on the barrel completely off it. I was thinking about having it redone but can't find someone to do it and the longer it's been done the less I care. This is essentially my truck/quad gun.

Last edited by damnesia; 09/10/20.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.