Home
Posted By: kansaspilot Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
I'm looking for an opinion. This is the top of the receiver of a Savage 99 chambered for .308 Win. I understand being factory drilled for a scope was an option from the information I can find. I want to repair the drill and tap damage done to the receiver by previous owners. There are 7 holes to the right of the pin. I am trying to figure out if any of these 7 holes might be factory drilled before having it repaired by a gunsmith. I will likely have more money tied up in the gun than what it is worth but I believe the gun is worth preserving. Suggestions/Comments welcome.

Attached picture 751B4143-739B-4559-A1E9-BA7275AD09EB_1_201_a.jpeg
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Since it is a pre-60 that has the tang screw taps, consider installing a Lightfoot mount. It uses the rear sight dovetail and rear tang screws. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...Search/true/lightfoot-mount#Post14371974
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
I think that 99 was owned by the same guy i got a win mdl54 from. It had 17 holes total in it!
If you are going to have those filled I would have all filled and then the correct d&t done. Probably would cost the same and you could be sure they were sound threaded. Jm2 c worth
The Lightfoot mount would cover the holes and you could just hunt it.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
What a mess.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Perfect candidate for welding up and powdercoating.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by kansaspilot
I'm looking for an opinion. This is the top of the receiver of a Savage 99 chambered for .308 Win. I understand being factory drilled for a scope was an option from the information I can find. I want to repair the drill and tap damage done to the receiver by previous owners. There are 7 holes to the right of the pin. I am trying to figure out if any of these 7 holes might be factory drilled before having it repaired by a gunsmith. I will likely have more money tied up in the gun than what it is worth but I believe the gun is worth preserving. Suggestions/Comments welcome.

All 308's would be factory drilled and tapped. It looks like they tried to drill it for that Redfield that has a big gap for the front screws.

The original ones are there. Hopefully you can save them. Actually... they might work as is. Here's what they look like:

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

Yours:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Jaaack Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
By the time Savage started chambering 99s in .308 they were factory D&T, so four of those holes are factory. New bases using the factory holes should cover the extra holes.
Posted By: MOW Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch a drilled!!!!!
Posted By: Switch Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
I think I bought that rifle on GunBroker and returned it. The one I got looked worse but may this is the one. I don't think it can be repaired and if if can it'll cost a lot. I offered the seller $250 for the stocks but didn't hear back. Other than that it was a VERY nice rifle. Return it if you can and cut your loses.
Posted By: kansaspilot Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Thanks for the replies and thanks to Calhoun for supplying the pictures! I appreciate everyones help. It will be a few months but I will post pictures of the finished product.

I believe David Royal's book states D&T was a factory option when the .308 came out. Are there examples of .308Win's without factory D&T? I am debating about welding all the holes and using a Lightfoot mount. Even though the receiver will have been repaired I want to keep in in an "original" configuration.

Merry Christmas, Mark
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
The 243/308/358 cartridges are only present in 99's with a serial number of 900,000 or higher.

I have never seen or heard of a 900,000 series receiver or later that wasn't factory drilled for scope bases. But maybe I missed some?
Posted By: Recoil_Rob Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/21/20
Goes by the name of "Lucky"...
Posted By: kansaspilot Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/24/20
This .308 did come from GunBroker and the seller did not go out of his way to show pictures of the top of the receiver. So far my gunsmith feels the receiver is repairable but I will be upside down on the value. I appreciate the insight!
Posted By: ctw Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/24/20
Yep if its not pictured as for pictures lea4ned that the hard way.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/24/20

I’d return the gun and start over. It’s never going to be ‘original’.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/24/20
If I received a Swiss-cheesed gun like that, and hadn't been expecting it, it would go right back in the box and then back to the seller. Having to eat some postage is a lot better than living with such an albatross around my neck.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Savage 99 .308 Help - 12/24/20
If you want the bases for the holes you got.

I have extra. Old vintage so I think they may be plumb.

Pm me if interested.

Merry Christmas!

Y all got show bubba some love ❤️ this time o year!
© 24hourcampfire