Home
Posted By: Fireball2 bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
MHG bayonet worth $4K? Not having much luck doing better. More than I want to pay.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
If you want my opinion (which is worth as much as a bucket of warm spit), that's nuts.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
MHG bayonet worth $4K? Not having much luck doing better. More than I want to pay.

Huh,.... so this collectible is probably out of the question as well. ??

Savage Collectible
Posted By: S99VG Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
They say everything is worth what somebody would be willing to pay. I would not be willing to pay anything near that price. I would be happy just having the gun and if a missing part got that nagging then I would seriously consider selling it. I don't know what you paid for the MHG but would a 4K bayonet add that much more value to the gun? Hmmm??? However, if you just want it to have it ,and it doesn't require selling off the south 40 or the kids to medical science, then go for it and don't look back. Just my 2-cents which when calculated for inflation holds little value.
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Savage Collectible

That would be one for the advanced Savage collector!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
Those bayonets were in the $2000 range 20 or 30 years ago. I think that price was set more by the bayonet collectors than the Savage rifle collectors. Guessing it is the reverse now days.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
Doesn't matter. It's still nuts! grin
Posted By: Rick99 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
That's the same statement I get from my wife when I return home from a gun show with something new. laugh
Originally Posted by Rick99
Those bayonets were in the $2000 range 20 or 30 years ago. I think that price was set more by the bayonet collectors than the Savage rifle collectors. Guessing it is the reverse now days.

I've been chasing after US milsurps for 25 years and have yet to buy a bayonet based on the prices set by the bayonet collectors. I figure bayonets are something you go after only when all other aspects of the collection have been fulfilled. And that hasen't happened yet.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
What the hell! It's just green paper. Grab it if'n you want it. You could always sell it if you changed your mind. How long will it be before you stumble across another one?
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
Got one for sale if interested $3200
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20

Hell, you'd probably put yer eye out with the dam thing anyway! laugh
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Savage Collectible

I just paid that and all I got was a measly K. Go figure,
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/22/20
Originally Posted by S99VG
They say everything is worth what somebody would be willing to pay. I would not be willing to pay anything near that price. I would be happy just having the gun and if a missing part got that nagging then I would seriously consider selling it. I don't know what you paid for the MHG but would a 4K bayonet add that much more value to the gun? Hmmm??? However, if you just want it to have it ,and it doesn't require selling off the south 40 or the kids to medical science, then go for it and don't look back. Just my 2-cents which when calculated for inflation holds little value.

I paid less than $3K for the MHG. I just saw a completed auction for a rifle and bayonet for about $5500, plus auction fees iirc.
Originally Posted by S99VG

I paid less than $3K for the MHG. I just saw a completed auction for a rifle and bayonet for about $5500, plus auction fees iirc.

To play American Pickers here (that name always reminded me of the kid who couldn't stop picking his nose), I guess you could come close to bundling it all together and having something that is worth moe than the sum total you paid for its parts. I would donate it to a museum and then take 10K off my taxes. Or just keep it as a score in the Holy Grail department. Do you want to sell the gun or keep it for bragging rights? And I certainly mean no disrespect in the latter. I would brag about my collection but it contains so few logs for stoking that fire.
I do not want to sell it. Can't have an MHG laying around w/o a proper sling and a bayonet LOL.
Originally Posted by topnotch99
Got one for sale if interested $3200

That's certainly better. Got any photos of it?
Posted By: 99guy Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
What did P.T. Barnum say?

I know it was something profound, but I forgot what it was....
Posted By: S99VG Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
I do not want to sell it. Can't have an MHG laying around w/o a proper sling and a bayonet LOL.

Well then buy it and have one of the only complete collections of MHG firarms and 99 paraphanelia! But do try talking the seller down like you'd do with any other potential purchase.
Posted By: S99VG Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
Originally Posted by 99guy
What did P.T. Barnum say?

I know it was something profound, but I forgot what it was....

I think it was something like there's a sucker born every minute and two kids to take em.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
Do you fellas have the bayonet with your MHG's?

OOOOOOOOhhhh! LOL
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Hell, you'd probably put yer eye out with the dam thing anyway! laugh

Yea, no joke. Or fall on it wile running through the house chasing the cat.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20

Or hand-to-hand in the trenches?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
Roy, is that a general question for all MHG owners or just the people responding to this post? I have both the musket and bayonet plus some insignia.
Posted By: BillR Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
There was a very well known dealer at a gun show in Montreal 30 years ago who watched a dealer dump a box of bayonets on his table. Larry noticed a MHG bayonet and quickly bought it at a bargain price. Later he showed it to another dealer and gloated about his purchase. The other dealer said he already knew because the vendor had told him when he had bought the other two.
I bought my MHG in about 1990. It took almost 30 years to find a bayonet with scabbard at a price I could afford. Are they worth it? Who knows but you sure won't find one at Walmart.
Most of the MHG bayonets I have seen for sale in the past 20 years have been highly polished and wood varnished. Does a professional refinish help or hinder the bayonets?
Originally Posted by BillR

Most of the MHG bayonets I have seen for sale in the past 20 years have been highly polished and wood varnished. Does a professional refinish help or hinder the bayonets?

The dealer wanting $4K talks up condition but honestly I don't know if it's original or polished up. He's damn proud of it though.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20

Originally Posted by BillR
There was a very well known dealer at a gun show in Montreal 30 years ago who watched a dealer dump a box of bayonets on his table. Larry noticed a MHG bayonet and quickly bought it at a bargain price. Later he showed it to another dealer and gloated about his purchase. The other dealer said he already knew because the vendor had told him when he had bought the other two.
I bought my MHG in about 1990. It took almost 30 years to find a bayonet with scabbard at a price I could afford. Are they worth it? Who knows but you sure won't find one at Walmart.

A professional refinish would be an extreme hindrance to me, I wouldn’t even consider a refinished bayonet for any amount approaching the prices noted above. Ymmv
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
Only if it was done to resurrect one that laid out in a barn for 100 years.
Posted By: 99guy Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20

The dealer wanting $4K talks up condition but honestly I don't know if it's original or polished up. He's damn proud of it though.

That is his "I don't want to sell it price". That guy loves that knife.... wink
Posted By: Rick99 Re: bayonet revisited - 12/23/20
I have both, rifle and bayonet. Bought both from Seller's back in 2002. Not cheap but cheaper back then.
Originally Posted by 99guy

That is his "I don't want to sell it price". That guy loves that knife.... wink

It doesn't pencil out that's for sure, and that's what I told him.
Posted By: S99VG Re: bayonet revisited - 12/24/20
For 4K I bet you could make a real good replica if someone loaned you a pattern. Got a milling machine?
Posted By: mad_dog Re: bayonet revisited - 12/24/20
Holy crap, wonder how much my scabbard is worth?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: bayonet revisited - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Holy crap, wonder how much my scabbard is worth?

Enough to retire on, evidently.
© 24hourcampfire