Home
Posted By: RAS Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
All:

I didn’t post on Facebook much but the Savage 99 Facebook page was very informative and had tons of great info. Lots of members. However, I cannot agree with their business practices of political censorship so as a result, I deleted my FB account for good.

I guess I will have to get my info from the last few holdouts here. smile

Take care...
RAS
Posted By: kingston Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Good on you.

I killed mine off for good a few weeks ago.

I also haven't spent a dime at Amazon. I've literally re-directed thousands in purchases elsewhere. They haven't seen a nickel.
Posted By: JakeND1899 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
I’ve never had Facebook and don’t ever feel the need to get it, and I’m probably considered as one that is the generation that lives on it. It’s more BS than what it’s worth, I wish I could say I wasn’t giving money to Amazon either but I’m pretty sure my wife lives on it and the UPS guy could drive our road blind folded and we are on a first name basis.

I’ll keep hanging out here and learning what I can from the guys that have a wealth of knowledge as I try retain just a piece of it.

It’s good to live in the middle of nowhere, I guess “social distancing” comes naturally for us folks.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

I didn’t post on Facebook much but the Savage 99 Facebook page was very informative and had tons of great info. Lots of members. However, I cannot agree with their business practices of political censorship so as a result, I deleted my FB account for good.

Take care...
RAS

If you'd like to see more from the forum, contribute more. Not directed at you Jeff, but I got the same message for anyone that doesn't like the Savage Collectors forum because it's too much this or not enough that. Most guys that read here have TONS of guns and could take a photo and start a discussion that'd would enrich it for all here. But they don't, they just complain about what the forum isn't.

Invariably the biggest complainers contribute the least. Again, not directed at you Jeff, just came to my mind with your post.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
I never had any of that social media nonsence(no FB,Tweeter....). I learn something from the fire almost every day!! Thanks again guys.
Originally Posted by RAS
I deleted my FB account for good.

Same here. censorbook is no more....
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Noticed that your old posts on Facebook were gone, Rick.

I'm still there to connect to family. As long as I'm on it, I'll chat with Savage 99 guys. There's a lot of folks looking for facts out there.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
have no use for it. never did
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Never been on Facebook, tweeter, Ebay or amazoon. Don 't figure on trying any either. Not out front running hard just old enough to do my own thing and not worry about it. Mb
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by kingston
Good on you.

I killed mine off for good a few weeks ago.

I also haven't spent a dime at Amazon. I've literally re-directed thousands in purchases elsewhere. They haven't seen a nickel.

Gonna do the same thing. We have to start taking a stand; money talks.
Posted By: sackett Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Dropping amazon also hurts small American businesses that use that platform to sell their goods. Many companies have trouble selling enough of the product on their own platform to make it, but with amazon it allows them to reach a larger group to sell their goods.

Dropping amazon sounds like a good idea....but who are you really hurting?
It's true. Amazon is mostly a marketplace for other sellers.

You can buy David's book off of Amazon.

Is it best to support local businesses or buy direct if you can? Yes. But there's a lot of American small businesses selling through Amazon.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
I wish it was easier to post photos on the 24 and you need an ad blocker. But, we still have the people with the knowledge. grin
Posted By: RAS Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by sackett
Dropping amazon also hurts small American businesses that use that platform to sell their goods. Many companies have trouble selling enough of the product on their own platform to make it, but with amazon it allows them to reach a larger group to sell their goods.

Dropping amazon sounds like a good idea....but who are you really hurting?

Then let those businesses complain to Amazon about lost business/revenue. If they are Amazon only, they are dumb.

You can buy most products in multiple places. Amazon supports policies that do harm to my country. I will avoid them. Many others are doing the same.
How many of the guys here that hate Amazon buy stuff off of eBay?

???
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
I use Amazon a good bit, but all I buy there are books. I read a lot and am mainly buying used books to take up the slack from my local library having gotten squirrely over Covid. Amazon presents a format for book buying that can't be beat - selections of used books priced by condition so you can secure your best bang for the buck. Can the same books be found elsewhere, at the same price? Undoubtedly, but I have better uses for my time than spending hours searching for them when a minute or two on Amazon suffices. I for one have no intention of cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Stop and research every entity you do business with, directly or indirectly, and get back to me if they are all 100% pro-gun or at least neutral. Personally I'm getting tired of the mudslinging, hand wringing, and bitterness verbalized by folks on both sides of the aisle. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and step back from the abyss.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Come on guys. Why get into a pissing contest over yet something else. The country is divided and divided it will stay. Something we all need to get used to. Everyone has an opinion and mine is the only one that matters to me. You wonder why some of the old contributors seem to be absent. This is a good example why.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Come on guys. Why get into a pissing contest over yet something else. The country is divided and divided it will stay. Something we all need to get used to. Everyone has an opinion and mine is the only one that matters to me. You wonder why some of the old contributors seem to be absent. This is a good example why.

Yep, right you are. Everybody is mad at somebody and everybody wants everybody else to take their point of view. I frankly don't care about the political positions of anybody that visits this forum. And I hope they don't care about mine.
I think the point of the OP was that while there may be some amount of perceived "value" to those who choose to use FB, that the underlying/overbearing behavior of this "big tech" giant is unacceptable. Therefore, a vote with ones wallet and/or feet is in order from time to time.

It's a simple concept and an effective one.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
It's true. Amazon is mostly a marketplace for other sellers.

You can buy David's book off of Amazon.

Is it best to support local businesses or buy direct if you can? Yes. But there's a lot of American small businesses selling through Amazon.

Or you can buy it from me. The book retails for $59.99. Amazon was advertising it when it first came out for under $50. They didn't have copies until several weeks after they started advertising it. I don't like them!
Posted By: texken Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
when I need one item I would rather use amazon and not drive 40 miles one way to get to a store that I called and some bozo said they had it, and you know the rest, gas alone making that trip is 12-15 dollars, yep I know I drive a truck that doesn't get very good mileage, the truck seat is the only one I can sit in for any length of time and not be crippled up when I get out
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/25/21
I recently needed an adapter to go from a generator plug in to a stick welder cord. Drove all over locally, spent half a day, gas, and lunch looking, missing $500 worth of work in the process. Got home that night and ordered delivered to my door for $21.

That's pretty rough.
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
FWIW I deleted my FB account last week as well, gives me more time to hang out here with the rest of the Savage folks I figure.

Rich
Posted By: saddlering Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
Never had farce book and Never will!
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21

Very well said. Even all of us with mostly the same interests and passions find reasons to complain about each other.
Thanks for posting this,
Ed
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
Originally Posted by 06hunter59

Very well said. Even all of us with mostly the same interests and passions find reasons to complain about each other.
Thanks for posting this,
Ed

Actually, only some of "us" complain. Often. Not contributing anything positive only negative and then complaining about the forum. Is someone's camera broken? They can't remember where to find their safe so they can pull something out and have a discussion about it? Are they broken? Why put it on someone else, just jump in and discuss and quit complaining. It'd be a win for everyone, especially the complainer.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
FB coulda/shoulda/woulda been a great thing. Censorship is killing it. If not for being a good venue for keeping up with family shenanigans, old classmates, etc. I would've left there long ago. The gun groups I belong to there have grown to astounding numbers of participants and have long since lost the intimacy, for lack of a better term, that we all enjoy here.

I wouldn't be surprised if FB fades away sometime in the future. I'm hearing an awful lot of grumbling about it from all angles. Lord Zuckerberg is shooting himself in the foot by trying to be an omniscient, thought controlling, little god.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
I did the same. It was a great way to share photos and such with family and friends but it became a time consuming drain and the politics made it so I quit sharing anything.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
the guy who founded it admitted after selling it for a fortune that he invented it to waste people's time. Wasting time is not my thing.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
Ah, c'mon David! Wasting a little time now and then is good for the soul! I've found in this man's world that guys who are constantly at 100% alert and never take a break can become tiresome to the folks around them. (Not saying that's you, I don't know you well enough to say that. I'm speaking in generalities.)

We as humans are surrendering a lot of our intellect to The Machine. Witness the omniscience of the mobile phone now with all of its amazing capabilities. When was the last time you worked a map and compass? The last time you solved a mathematical problem with pencil and paper? I could go on and on but you catch my drift. We are purposely softening our brains while creating increased dependence on The Machine- the Dumbing Down of America results as we steadily lose our capacity for rational decision making and cognitive thought.

We old farts are more immune to this in large part due to having lived in an analog world most of our lives. The youngsters wouldn't know analog if it bit them on the ass, and it shows in the world around us.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
So that's why some people find me to be a bore. Sorry, I have a book to write and a 1934 Ford hot rod to build. No time to waste on the boring drivel from the likes of facebook who now deletes anything that might compromise left wing propaganda. My wife had a post criticizing Emperor Biden deleted within a few seconds of posting it.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
Gnoahh, I was talking to my wife the other day about such simple things as kids not growing up and playing cards, dominoes or cribbage. You don't think about it but those simple games created people who can do arithmetic in their heads and solve problems. Video games do it for you.

Facebook has also created a generation of people who have become accustomed to talking crap about people without the possible repercussion of getting punched in the mouth and that shows in our society too. Our society was a lot more civil when you had to answer for your actions.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/26/21
My wife has a facebook acct,mostly because of her art students! we both hate their policy of stifiling conservative speech !!!!! mad mad I have never been on the savage 99 facebook page, i can get along fine right here. I do go to the Sterling truck collectors sight,since thats the place they are but i only check in once in a while.
Posted By: Oldidaho Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/27/21
Closed my Facebook account a month ago. I'm not going to support that dweeb little bastard. BTW doesn't Zuckyberg look like a penis wearing a 3 Stooges wig?
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Take care...
RAS

I have done the same Jeff.

You know what? Don't miss it. I know I can contact any one I need to in many other ways.
Posted By: RAS Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/30/21
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Take care...
RAS

I have done the same Jeff.

You know what? Don't miss it. I know I can contact any one I need to in many other ways.

Jim,

I can just text you. smile

God bless brother. Be safe.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/30/21
The same to you my friend and your family!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/31/21
When I was a kid we had this thing called a "boob tube." Any of you guys have one? They are still around and quite popular in their modern flat sceen format. The thing is that people have been recognizing and criticizing this path of mindlessness we've been following for nearly 70-years. And all that we have today is no more than the boob tube raised to the Nth degree with access to the the internet via social media and smart phones. But all along the way, the thing has had a cleaver little device that allowed each and everyone of us to liberate ourselves from the endless foolishness. And that device is called the off switch. I have a FB account but I find my life of little merit to bother telling anyone about it. Such is the way in which FB works. I seek no followers nor look for someone to follow, to speak in the lexicon in which Zuckerburg has set up for his "brain child." But I've always known it works with an off switch and I've always known that if it grew to the point of irritation then it was my own damn fault for not turning the damn thing off. And that action needs no ceremony nor advertising on social media. Its just minor yet significant action we can do for ourselves as responsible adults should the thing become a problem in our daily lives.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/31/21
The boob tube.....oh yeah we had one of those. Us kids, we were the remote control........ha ha
Originally Posted by diamondjim
The boob tube.....oh yeah we had one of those. Us kids, we were the remote control........ha ha

Yeah, we were that too as well as the built in kitchen dishwasher. But the tube also taught me an important lesson about advertising. And that was whenever it came on it was time to tend to nature's call. Flush! And because of that today I tend not to look at adverts on the internet. They just make me want to s....!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Got rid of Facebook - 01/31/21
But, at least our boob tube didn't have a BB hole in it.... smile
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
But, at least our boob tube didn't have a BB hole in it.... smile

Thank god it wasn't a Brown Bess!
© 24hourcampfire