Home
Posted By: gnoahhh New production 99's - 04/01/21
I just read a blurb where Savage announced that in a partnership deal with Miroku they are bringing back the 99, in small numbers and select calibers. Interestingly they will be takedown carbines in the early traditional chamberings. .22 HP wasn't mentioned though, what a drag.

Stay tuned for more April 1st news.
Posted By: damnesia Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
LOL. You got me!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
He can't tell the truth farther than he could throw it, how could he get you!

It is 4/1, so that's a joke to. I think Gary is a pretty straight shooter, literally, and figuratively,
Posted By: deerstalker Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
sob! you had me bouncing in my wheelchair!!!
Posted By: S99VG Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
Living’ up to your icon there I see. Whatsa madder for yuu?
Posted By: 99guy Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
I knew it was a bald face lie before I finished reading it...

grin
Posted By: Savage94C Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
Well with Colt bringing back the Python and Anaconda to production he had me going for a minute until I read down further. But hey, ya never know, with the right production as is always said about Savage--"Never say Never"!!!!
Posted By: dave358 Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
When I read Miroku I think I almost burped a little vomit, what a relief when I read further!
Posted By: oldotter Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I just read a blurb where Savage announced that in a partnership deal with Miroku they are bringing back the 99, in small numbers and select calibers. Interestingly they will be takedown carbines in the early traditional chamberings. .22 HP wasn't mentioned though, what a drag.

Stay tuned for more April 1st news.

If Miroke did indeed announce a reintroduction of the Model 99, I would be one of the first in line. They make great product. My Miroku Winchester 1885 22 low wall is absolutely flawless. Shoots better than I do and looks great doing it. I'm sure they would do justice to the 99 if they felt so inclined. Now, let the tar/feathering begin.
I doubt I would buy one unless it was like a 32-40 SRC and realistically how many of those would they sell?

The re-introduction would probably be a 300 EG, or 308 E.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
They could do 2 types of re-introduction. One intended for mass sales, which I think is what the Savage management is only interested in. They'd have to look to steal sales from Marlin, Henry and Browning while matching their prices. No idea what models they'd try to replicate.. the 99C is easiest to build, but last time they looked at it they wanted the rotor design. I'd guess 99EG, 99F.. lots of others are just a change of stock, so ??

The second would be smaller periodic runs of "commemoratives". For this I presume they'd aim at something like the 1899CD in various cartridges - 32-40, 25-35, 38-55, 30-30. Maybe the 99G takedown. This would be the kind of thing they could contract with Miroku to do.

Not sure I'm in favor of it, lots of originals still out there. Though if the prices continue to soar, at some point the commemoratives would sell.
Posted By: damnesia Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
I'd probably buy one. I own a lot or firearms but have never owned a brand new one. Never found anything new I wanted to buy. Same with guitars, I own a lot of them but never a new one.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by damnesia
I'd probably buy one. I own a lot or firearms but have never owned a brand new one. Never found anything new I wanted to buy. Same with guitars, I own a lot of them but never a new one.

When I turned 18 I ran out and bought a brand new Ruger 22. I wanted the bull barrel, but all my shop had in were 2 standard barrels. I still have it, 45 years later. Had it out 2 weeks ago, and it still shoots.
Posted By: johno Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
I would also buy one if I had any money to spare but after our spaghetti crop was wiped yesterday by the Aprilis Primis blight we are in trouble. Just awful to see the spaghetti dying on the vines.

Its a tough life down here and of course it always happens a day earlier than you blokes, wish me well

Johno
Spaghetti squash I presume?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New production 99's - 04/01/21
Originally Posted by oldotter

If Miroke did indeed announce a reintroduction of the Model 99, I would be one of the first in line. They make great product. My Miroku Winchester 1885 22 low wall is absolutely flawless. Shoots better than I do and looks great doing it. I'm sure they would do justice to the 99 if they felt so inclined. Now, let the tar/feathering begin.

I've owned 3 rifles (2 currently) and 2 O/U shotguns made by Miroku and all of them were made to a higher standard of fit and finish than anything put out by Remington, Marlin, Ruger (especially Ruger), Winchester, and Savage in the last 40 years. Period. As much as I love the couple of Ruger #1's that I own I have them mainly for the calibers they're chambered for. The two Miroku/Browning/Winchester single shots I own are tighter, better finished, better wood-metal fit, and more accurate than the Rugers - and that's saying something because the Rugers are 3/4MOA shooters and often less.
Posted By: Barryt Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
You didn't check today's Date?
Posted By: S99VG Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
Maybe we should send some purchase orders straight to Miroku!
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by S99VG
Maybe we should send some purchase orders straight to Miroku!

Put me down for one of each!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
Or just send your deposits to my paypal address
Posted By: oldotter Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
We have Harpo, Chicko and Groucho responding in a positive manor pertaining to Miroku potential 99 reproduction. What more could one possibly want!!! If that aint a vote of confidence.....I sure as hell don't know what is. grin
Posted By: Blitz Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by damnesia

I bought a Fender Strat Plus in Grafitti Yellow brand new in 1987 for $887. Always wanted a yellow strat and Uncle Sam provided the (re)funding. Had a Rosewood fretboard and the Wilkerson Roller nut. I played the snot out of that guitar and today it is worth around $2000.

I didn't know until I tried to sell it in 2010 due to unemployment.

Still have it, all original. Only guitar I ever owned that INCREASED in value. All the rest were losing propositions.

Blitz
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New production 99's - 04/02/21
Originally Posted by oldotter
We have Harpo, Chicko and Groucho responding in a positive manor pertaining to Miroku potential 99 reproduction. What more could one possibly want!!! If that aint a vote of confidence.....I sure as hell don't know what is. grin

Be careful when you fill out the order blank.

"What's-a this fine print?"
"It's the Sannity Clause."
"Haha! You no fool me. Evarabuddy knows there's-a no such thing as Santy Claus."
Posted By: 513JAKE Re: New production 99's - 04/03/21
We’ve all heard that the cost of hand-fitting parts on the 99 is just too expensive to make it a plausible endeavor. What do you suppose the cutoff is for the cost of hand-fitting becoming too expensive?

Here is a new Fox A grade 12 ga that has an MSRP of $4,590.00 https://tinyurl.com/afutmndr

Here is a super sexy example for sale on the second hand market for $4,250.00 https://tinyurl.com/e8pn3xk5

Now, while I can adore that shotgun and say it would be welcome in my house for any of the major holidays... that seems like a pretty hefty price for a repro. You can pick up a vintage A grade Philly Fox for about $2,000. That said, they clearly are getting their money back and it would appear the market is there. So, what would the price tag be that the market wouldn’t be there on a new production 99? I’m not saying they are wrong. I’d just like to understand what you guys think the price point might be.

Jake
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New production 99's - 04/03/21
Hard to say, but it seems to me that interesting rifles of all types that sold for $3-400 at the same time F-150's were selling for $10K now routinely sell for 3-5 times that, as do the F-150's. $4K for a "lifetime" gun such as the classic SxS repros you mentioned isn't out of line. I'm starting to adopt that philosophy myself - saving my nickels until I can afford notable rifles. (But in some ways I'll always be a bottom feeder. Witness my recent Hoovering-up of derelict Colt and S&W "shooters".)

I betcha if they made a limited edition Savage 99 on CNC equipment that mimicked some of the old classics (please dear God not a reprise of a 60's-80's post-mil), and accomplished the smooth, slick, tight feel exhibited by Miroku rifles (with very little real hand fitting by the by), they would sell all they cared to in the $3K+ range. Maybe sell more if American gun nuts broke themselves of the attitude that "two safes full of pedestrian guns beats a small handful of 'lookers'."
© 24hourcampfire