Home
Posted By: olgrouser 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
From the Savage site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm9DZJ5Cxr4

Has anyone seen the custom butt plate pictured here?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seems like it may have a trap door hinge.

I want one!
Posted By: Loggah Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Not I,seems to be of cast aluminum ,different for sure.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Looks familiar. Can't place it.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Stating "It had a slender walnut stock and a corrugated steel shotgun butt-plate" while showing a non-standard butt-plate. Fantastic plate, pore advertising.

New to me. Don't think the #15 WG rear sight was a standard either. The stock looks to have some wear. Is this rifle displayed at Savage?
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
It surprised me Savage chose a well worn 1920, sanded and devoid of checkering for this advertisement.

However, that butt plate (or one like it) would be great to install on a rifle along with inlayed sling swivels to customize a Model 1920.
Originally Posted by Rick99
Stating "It had a slender walnut stock and a corrugated steel shotgun butt-plate" while showing a non-standard butt-plate. Fantastic plate, pore advertising.

New to me. Don't think the #15 WG rear sight was a standard either. The stock looks to have some wear. Is this rifle displayed at Savage?

I'm thinking this is a 1920 they have in the lobby, in a case. Couldn't see the buttplate.

Middle one here:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Originally Posted by olgrouser
It surprised me Savage chose a well worn 1920, sanded and devoid of checkering for this advertisement.

However, that butt plate (or one like it) would be great to install on a rifle along with inlayed sling swivels to customize a Model 1920.

I think it's the only 1920 they have.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Me too. May have been back on the old G&K forum?
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Me too. May have been back on the old G&K forum?

Maybe.. but I wasn't there. grin
I'm thinking I've seen something like it, thinking it was on a fancy 99.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Cast aluminum in 1920 seems a little early.
Posted By: Blitz Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
After watching the video, I got offered up this review on David's book. Don't know if it's been posted or if David knows about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oPNbH7NRYw
Posted By: 99guy Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
Who is that guy?

I really like his all his Utube videos.

Dude has a tremendous and diverse knowledge of firearms in general.
Posted By: steve99 Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/20/21
He gets some really out there guns to review. Have gained an appreciation of Euro semi autos from around 1900.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
I'd like to buy him a beer

Or seven....
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
The long action 1920 sporting rifle in 256 Newton has a cast aluminum buttplate with a trapdoor. Mark Benenson sent pictures and a rubbing of it when he owned it. It went from Benenson to a guy in TX named John Smyrl to Bruce Jennings in WY and then it was sold out of his estate. I have no idea where it went after Jennings had it.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
You are the man Jeff.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
"You are the man Jeff."

Where to find a cast buttplate with a trap door today?

I was just reading through my notes from Aug. 2006 after meeting Counsellor Beneson, "Vigilus" for the first time. IIRC, he liked the custom guns and unicorns.
Posted By: S99VG Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
I get a laugh out of it every time I hear that obligatory and cliche "bad ass" electric guitar music added to this type of stuff. And no, I have never seen a butt plate like that one before.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
I think this is the second review that guy did of my book. I hadn't seen this one until now. Thanks for sharing this Blitz.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I think this is the second review that guy did of my book. I hadn't seen this one until now. Thanks for sharing this Blitz.

Yup, I posted the first video years ago. Same but different.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
Seems like he was less critical this time. he kept saying it would only interest Savage collectors in this review. I think the next book will interest people who collect other brands that were also engraved by Savage engravers thanks to your biographies. Marlin, Winchester, Colt and Fox come to mind.
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Seems like he was less critical this time. he kept saying it would only interest Savage collectors in this review. I think the next book will interest people who collect other brands that were also engraved by Savage engravers thanks to your biographies. Marlin, Winchester, Colt and Fox come to mind.

I have no idea why he kept hammering the point "interest to Savage collectors". Of course it is! That was the purpose of the book.
Maybe he was expecting a novel or something. Or you were supposed give him a book and $100 to say nice things.

I agree. The engraving book will appeal to us and many others.
I know the folks that I've dealt with are waiting for theirs,...The Tues, Kings & Goughs.
Posted By: 99guy Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
I thought he gave the book a good review.

The fact that it probably wouldn't be very innteresting to a dedicated Winchester collector doesn't diminsh the book in any way.

The same could be said for Rule's book as it regards it's interest to Savage collectors.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
I think it's cool enough that we should chip in and buy Gary a mold. Every one can send him beer cans to melt down and cast with. I hope you noticed I didn't say EMPTY beer cans.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
Nope. I dabbled in casting bronze and swore off anything harder than lead.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/21/21
Shame gnoahhh, the butt plate would have an uber KOOL factor. Could be installed on any 99.

Maybe we can convince, bribe, beg LBK to create a die. A matching set of sling swivels in the same design to be inlaid would be the bee's knees!
Posted By: kdog Re: 1920 Hi Power - 04/22/21
I think he does appraisals for Rock Island as well ...Ian McCollum
Posted By: Antler Re: 1920 Hi Power - 07/26/22
Just to add some info on the butt plate- Townsend Whelen does a good job of describing this butt plate and rifle in his 1920 book The American rifles- page 83. At that time it was only called a Hi Power Bolt Action- not a Model 1920
I wonder if any of these actually went out to the general public or was this just a prototype?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 1920 Hi Power - 07/27/22
The 1920 evolved from the 1916, a long action bolt action military rifle that Savage made at least 3, maybe 4, prototypes of.

2 were in 30-06. I understand that this project was done so that Savage would have a ready to manufacture military rifle to sell to the U.S. Government to supplement the 1903 Springfields. The 1917 Enfield was the rifle that was selected to supplement the 1903 Springfield.

1 was in 7x57, probably intended as an option for Central and South American countries to replace their Remington Rolling Blocks.

1 was a sort of hybrid between the 1916 and SMLE in 303 British

There was only 1 sporting rifle configuration that I know of, the 256 Newton. Mark Benenson told me that it was short chambered. That rifle was one of the deals that Mark and I agreed to only to have Mark back out of the deal. The one that killed our buy/sell relationship was when I bought a Marlin 336ER from him, sent him the $$, and he refused to refund the $$ or send me the rifle. After several months he did refund the money, but we never did another deal. Mark was quite well off, so I have never understood why he did that.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 1920 Hi Power - 07/27/22
Kinda sorta germane to that nifty cast aluminum Savage butt plate, the Pacific Company back in the pre-war era made a lot of neat esoteric gun stuff to include sights, reloading gizmos, oddball double set triggers, and cast aluminum butt plates and grip caps. I'm often surprised to stumble onto stuff that I never knew that venerable old company made. I have a rifle shod with one of their cast aluminum butt plates that puts me in mind of the one on this M1920. My impression is that cast aluminum butt plates were a "thing" in some circles in the 1920's.

Does anyone here have one of Pacific's catalogs from the 20's-30's? I've looked halfheartedly for one for a long time.
© 24hourcampfire