Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Seems like he was less critical this time. he kept saying it would only interest Savage collectors in this review. I think the next book will interest people who collect other brands that were also engraved by Savage engravers thanks to your biographies. Marlin, Winchester, Colt and Fox come to mind.

I have no idea why he kept hammering the point "interest to Savage collectors". Of course it is! That was the purpose of the book.
Maybe he was expecting a novel or something. Or you were supposed give him a book and $100 to say nice things.

I agree. The engraving book will appeal to us and many others.
I know the folks that I've dealt with are waiting for theirs,...The Tues, Kings & Goughs.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought he gave the book a good review.

The fact that it probably wouldn't be very innteresting to a dedicated Winchester collector doesn't diminsh the book in any way.

The same could be said for Rule's book as it regards it's interest to Savage collectors.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think it's cool enough that we should chip in and buy Gary a mold. Every one can send him beer cans to melt down and cast with. I hope you noticed I didn't say EMPTY beer cans.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nope. I dabbled in casting bronze and swore off anything harder than lead.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shame gnoahhh, the butt plate would have an uber KOOL factor. Could be installed on any 99.

Maybe we can convince, bribe, beg LBK to create a die. A matching set of sling swivels in the same design to be inlaid would be the bee's knees!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think he does appraisals for Rock Island as well ...Ian McCollum

Work hard ... play hard
A
A
Just to add some info on the butt plate- Townsend Whelen does a good job of describing this butt plate and rifle in his 1920 book The American rifles- page 83. At that time it was only called a Hi Power Bolt Action- not a Model 1920
I wonder if any of these actually went out to the general public or was this just a prototype?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1920 evolved from the 1916, a long action bolt action military rifle that Savage made at least 3, maybe 4, prototypes of.

2 were in 30-06. I understand that this project was done so that Savage would have a ready to manufacture military rifle to sell to the U.S. Government to supplement the 1903 Springfields. The 1917 Enfield was the rifle that was selected to supplement the 1903 Springfield.

1 was in 7x57, probably intended as an option for Central and South American countries to replace their Remington Rolling Blocks.

1 was a sort of hybrid between the 1916 and SMLE in 303 British

There was only 1 sporting rifle configuration that I know of, the 256 Newton. Mark Benenson told me that it was short chambered. That rifle was one of the deals that Mark and I agreed to only to have Mark back out of the deal. The one that killed our buy/sell relationship was when I bought a Marlin 336ER from him, sent him the $$, and he refused to refund the $$ or send me the rifle. After several months he did refund the money, but we never did another deal. Mark was quite well off, so I have never understood why he did that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Kinda sorta germane to that nifty cast aluminum Savage butt plate, the Pacific Company back in the pre-war era made a lot of neat esoteric gun stuff to include sights, reloading gizmos, oddball double set triggers, and cast aluminum butt plates and grip caps. I'm often surprised to stumble onto stuff that I never knew that venerable old company made. I have a rifle shod with one of their cast aluminum butt plates that puts me in mind of the one on this M1920. My impression is that cast aluminum butt plates were a "thing" in some circles in the 1920's.

Does anyone here have one of Pacific's catalogs from the 20's-30's? I've looked halfheartedly for one for a long time.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 07/26/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.