Home
Posted By: Calhoun Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21
From Fug.. I find this kind of stuff just very cool.

Those 2 stamps at the bottom are heavy. I remember holding them, and they are very solid. Would the words have been a second stamp?

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Posted By: Southern_WI_Savage Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21
What does the print block read?

Savage 99's - 1899's - 1895's
Any _____ of ______

Is that the Savage Stevens Fox logo? Time period?

If I had one of those fob stamps I'd be serving Savage Cookies that look like fobs. smile
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21

Take one of each please! grin GW
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
What does the print block read?

Savage 99's - 1899's - 1895's
Any _____ of ______

Is that the Savage Stevens Fox logo? Time period?

If I had one of those fob stamps I'd be serving Savage Cookies that look like fobs. smile

Looks like it says:

SAVAGE 99'S - 1899'S - 1895'S
ANY CONDITION OR PARTS
Posted By: texken Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21
I have the upper left, came across it, must have been 30yrs ago, no strap
Posted By: GeneB Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/14/21
I was shown the bottom pieces by the previous owner who said he acquired them from Savage Arms. The one on the left is a positive image and is probably a 'hub' - a hardened punch to create the working dies, I think the one on the right is a working die made from that hub. The hub would be pressed into soft annealed steel which would be hardened afterwards, the same process used for coin dies, this allows for stamping in other features, with coins it would be the mint marks.

He said he use the die on the right to cast some fobs from gold. It might be that Savage cast the later fobs. The earliest fobs appear to have been stamped because they have a makers mark on the back, with later fobs the backs are plain and look they could be from an open mold.

I have a couple gold washed ones with initials engraved on them with a stippled back ground, he said he had an engraved 1899 that had initials and a matching watch fob..... so I'm trying to find two 1899's with initials that match my watch fobs.

ADDED - here's a link to an old post on fobs, I acquired another variation since then, left facing without any writing, just Savage in the headdress, like the one in posted by TomA in this link but without initials. Re:_Savage_watch_fob
These are photobucket files, if you right click on them a box will pop up, clink on 'open in new tab' and the image will appear without the photobucket 'watermark'.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/15/21
I dunno, Gene. I think they might both be "hubs". The details in them are different, especially on the cheeks, hairband, rifles.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/15/21
If I'm remembering right one is raised, a hub, and one is indented, a die. The high points on the hub will be the low points on the die so they will look different, the die has the wider low points on it's surface so the details will all look larger. I have 5 different variations of these so the hub here my not be the one for that particular die.
Posted By: JohnL Re: Fobs & stamps - 10/15/21
Those native american in a headdress fobs are terrific! I would love to have one but every time I see one lately they've almost been as much as a decent Savage pistol.

How about these other fobs? In terms of price and rarity how do they compare to the ones above? A knee- jerk purchase on my part where I think I paid too much but I had never seen another for sale.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire