Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Snowing here today, so a good day to stay in and take some pictures & organize some information (or I guess I could shovel).

I recently acquired a couple more watch fob's (from the same source), unlike all others I have seen these have a makers mark on the back. I have since tried to find out if they are authentic, vintage pieces.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This weekend at a Milwaukee area coin show I was able to show them to Tom Casper who has collected Schwaab Stamp & Seal items for many years. From emailed pictures he had been somewhat skeptical that they were genuine, they looked to 'new' and he had not seen that design before, after looking at them in person with a glass, his opinion now it that they are genuine vintage Schwaab S&S pieces. Others I have shown them to also feel they are authentic. They appear to be thinly plated and some of the high points appear to be worn through to copper, the surface is an alloy of mostly copper, about 85%, and zinc.

This is a link to a short article of his showing two of his Schwaab pieces, the bottom one has quite a lot of similarities in design at the top attachment to all the Savage Arms ones.
Article by Tom Casper & picture

Schwaab at one time was considered the largest manufacturer of watch fobs in the world. They were contracted to make medals for the 1904 St Louis Worlds Fair where Savage Arms had a large booth, so Savage Arms representatives would almost certainly have seen their products.
Schwaab company History (this can take awhile to load)

Here are links to a couple more examples of Schwaab watch fobs.
Closed eBay auction

This one has a markers mark that looks identical to the ones on the Savage Arms fobs.
J. I. Case fob with same makers mark

The slot for the straps were a secondary operation -
unfinished Panama-Pacific

According to Tom Casper the dies were the property of the customer and would only be kept at Schwaab at the request of the customers if they wished to continue a contract with Schwaab. He is from the Milwaukee area and has acquired some original tooling directly from the company.

Some more fobs without makers marks for comparison - some definitely original, but some still of questionable origin. The two with initials both have a 6% to 8% gold wash.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene it seems that some of these early Savage watch fobs were available for a mere 15 cents and could be had by remitting the amount to Savage Arms. See near bottom of Savage Ad. Tom

https://books.google.com/books?id=q...=savage%20arms%20watch%20fob&f=false

Last edited by TomA; 03/01/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is one with Savage in the headband Tom

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is an ad from June 1905 offering the Savage Arms Watch Fob. Tom

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...savage%20arms%20watch%20fobs&f=false

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff! The information proves mine to be a recent piece of flattery. wink

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 50 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.