Home
Posted By: Freezer Lady's or youth stock - 10/17/21
My son stands 5'6" and is of small stature. He owns a older Savage 110 chambered in 7mag. Recently I've been trying to find a better fitting stock for him. Standard stocks can be cut for LOP but you can't change the grip distance or drop. I've checked out a few sites but nobody has addressed the market for a decent stock. Even the "youth stocks" address the LOP only. Any ideas?

This seems to be a common problem in the gun industry. I've been searching for a new rifle for my wife. There are two companies that build a stock for a woman, Weatherby (Camilla) and Savage (Lady Hunter). With the Weatherby MSRP at $1999 you can guess what I'm going to buy.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Lady's or youth stock - 10/17/21
Might contact Savage to see if their custom shop will fit a "Lady Hunter" stock to your son's 110.
Originally Posted by Freezer
My son stands 5'6" and is of small stature. He owns a older Savage 110 chambered in 7mag. Recently I've been trying to find a better fitting stock for him. Standard stocks can be cut for LOP but you can't change the grip distance or drop. I've checked out a few sites but nobody has addressed the market for a decent stock. Even the "youth stocks" address the LOP only. Any ideas?

This seems to be a common problem in the gun industry. I've been searching for a new rifle for my wife. There are two companies that build a stock for a woman, Weatherby (Camilla) and Savage (Lady Hunter). With the Weatherby MSRP at $1999 you can guess what I'm going to buy.

WBY makes a Vanguard in the Camilla.

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-camilla/

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-camilla-wilderness/

This looks like a good deal too.

https://weatherby.com/store/vanguard-synthetic-compact/

I put a Boyd's stock on a Howa Mini action with the shortest LOP they make for my kids. It works out well for them.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lady's or youth stock - 10/17/21
Just bear in mind that the shorter (and lighter) you make that 7mm Magnum, the harder it's gonna rap that kid, and possibly make a flincher out of him. Even the toughest macho men are not immune to that phenomenon (but they'll deny it to their grave).
Posted By: JeffG Re: Lady's or youth stock - 10/17/21
Also, my experience with "grip distance", (if You refer to where the pistol grip is relative to the trigger..), be careful, especially with a stiff recoiler like a 7mag. Too close and the trigger guard comes back against the fingers in a most unpleasant manner.

I would suggest modifying a standard stock until it fits your son "just right". Don't afraid to be ruthless in your cutting and patching. Car bondo is an easy add-on, and easily shaped after it hardens. Once you get it, then send the ugly template-thing off to a stock copier.

What about those component stocks that competition target shooters use, they're infinitely adjustable. Or that new Boyd's "At One" stock?
Posted By: texken Re: Lady's or youth stock - 10/17/21
what JeffG said about fingers and trigger guard is 100%, I had hand trauma and it made me flinch, till my hand healed up
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Lady's or youth stock - 10/19/21
I bought a 16 gauge German double gun once which was too short. "Ah, I can shoot it ok." After two rounds of skeet it had bludgeoned my cheek to the point that it was bleeding. It went down the road pretty quickly.
© 24hourcampfire