Home
Posted By: RAS Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/23/21
All:

My buddy sent me this picture asking me if this pistol is original. I am working on getting more pictures, but this single one is all I have for now. I know they made nickel ones, but what’s with the gold on the back of the slide? Also, trigger might be gold as well. Hard to tell.

Thank you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ctw Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/23/21
look at old cat options. Maybe possible
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/24/21
The only pistol options I’ve seen listed were full pistol plating. Not an expert, but I’d think it’s not factory.
Originally Posted by RAS
My buddy sent me this picture asking me if this pistol is original.

If it is original it is not obvious without some sort of documentation.
Posted By: RAS Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/25/21
Can you letter a pistol? And if so, what does it run you? Do they do them at Cody now?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/25/21
Yes you can. $75 I think, if you’re not a member.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/savage/
Posted By: GeneB Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/25/21
Looking through the catalogs for the years these were offered only full plating is listed for the pistols. They do list gold trimmings for the 1899, 1903 & 1914 so it possible they would also do it for the pistols The grip screw appears to be a replacement with an oversize head that isn't recessed which suggests it's had at least some work done to it at some point. Gold being soft should show more wear than the bluing but you can't tell from that photo.
Posted By: RAS Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/25/21
All:

I have some more photos coming soon.
Posted By: RAS Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/26/21

Posted By: Loggah Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/26/21
confused confusedwhats the paperwork under the grip? maybe earlier owner ,or who might have done the plating? Don
How many places in Kentucky end in the letters rg?
Posted By: Blitz Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/26/21
Thanks to google:

Brandenburg, KY
Campbellsburg, KY
Catlettsburg, KY
Flemingsburg, KY
Frenchburg, KY
Greensburg, KY
Hardinsburg, KY
Harrodsburg, KY
Lawrenceburg, KY
Lewisburg, KY
Millersburg, KY
Prestonsburg, KY
Sharpsburg, KY
Vanceburg, KY
Whitesburg, KY
Williamsburg, KY
Willisburg, KY
I though there would be more, a lot more. It would be interesting to see what that note does say. Nice catch on that Loggah!!!
It's always difficult to judge condition, originality, etc. from pics vs. in hand.

This is a Model 1917.
Model 1917's were produced with plating. I'm aware of nickel and gold. See Bailey's book if interested.
Bailey also has a factory pistol with a nickel slide and blue frame. So mixes are possible, remote, but,...

Generally after market plating can be detected in barrel stamps and/or other stamped markings. Also rounded/buffed edges vs. crisp edges is a clue that some restoration has occurred.
This pistol is certainly dolled up. Has a mismatched screw as someone pointed out, some kind of tag within the magazine area and looks well used.

A factory letter generally indicates whether or not a piece is/was plated, deluxe, engraved or other.
A pistol (or rifle) may not have a ledger entry at all. Speculation "could be" a special made of a dignitary, salesman, lunch box special or other and not recorded in the normal production system.

Add it all up and unless a compelling reason exists as to why this pistol may indeed be a factory special I would not pursue for the above reasons.

I do possess non-factory pistols that I just liked, so I bought them. A fellow could do the same here.

Buy it, letter it and report back. smile
I’m no expert by any means, but I’ll wager the rest of the pistol is about as original as the grip screw.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/26/21
Maybe we should all throw together to pay for a letter! I HATE mysteries, just not enough to pay $75 for a gun that isn't mine. I LOVE 1917s--dey fit my mitt!
Chances are very good that a letter isn't going to tell you much. But that is a chance you have to take.
Posted By: RAS Re: Original Savage Pistol?? - 10/26/21
The pistol is in SC at an antique shop that also has guns. My buddy knows the owner and he mentioned to him that I am a Savage loony. I am, sort of. I never owned a Savage pistol. And that isn’t going to change unless I come across one dirt cheap. Any money on a pistol is money not on a 99. smile

If someone wants to look into it deeper, I am sure I can get the owners contact info. Just send me a PM.
© 24hourcampfire