Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

My buddy sent me this picture asking me if this pistol is original. I am working on getting more pictures, but this single one is all I have for now. I know they made nickel ones, but what’s with the gold on the back of the slide? Also, trigger might be gold as well. Hard to tell.

Thank you.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
look at old cat options. Maybe possible

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only pistol options I’ve seen listed were full pistol plating. Not an expert, but I’d think it’s not factory.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS
My buddy sent me this picture asking me if this pistol is original.

If it is original it is not obvious without some sort of documentation.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can you letter a pistol? And if so, what does it run you? Do they do them at Cody now?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes you can. $75 I think, if you’re not a member.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/savage/

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking through the catalogs for the years these were offered only full plating is listed for the pistols. They do list gold trimmings for the 1899, 1903 & 1914 so it possible they would also do it for the pistols The grip screw appears to be a replacement with an oversize head that isn't recessed which suggests it's had at least some work done to it at some point. Gold being soft should show more wear than the bluing but you can't tell from that photo.

Gene
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I have some more photos coming soon.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
confused confusedwhats the paperwork under the grip? maybe earlier owner ,or who might have done the plating? Don

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How many places in Kentucky end in the letters rg?

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks to google:

Brandenburg, KY
Campbellsburg, KY
Catlettsburg, KY
Flemingsburg, KY
Frenchburg, KY
Greensburg, KY
Hardinsburg, KY
Harrodsburg, KY
Lawrenceburg, KY
Lewisburg, KY
Millersburg, KY
Prestonsburg, KY
Sharpsburg, KY
Vanceburg, KY
Whitesburg, KY
Williamsburg, KY
Willisburg, KY

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I though there would be more, a lot more. It would be interesting to see what that note does say. Nice catch on that Loggah!!!

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's always difficult to judge condition, originality, etc. from pics vs. in hand.

This is a Model 1917.
Model 1917's were produced with plating. I'm aware of nickel and gold. See Bailey's book if interested.
Bailey also has a factory pistol with a nickel slide and blue frame. So mixes are possible, remote, but,...

Generally after market plating can be detected in barrel stamps and/or other stamped markings. Also rounded/buffed edges vs. crisp edges is a clue that some restoration has occurred.
This pistol is certainly dolled up. Has a mismatched screw as someone pointed out, some kind of tag within the magazine area and looks well used.

A factory letter generally indicates whether or not a piece is/was plated, deluxe, engraved or other.
A pistol (or rifle) may not have a ledger entry at all. Speculation "could be" a special made of a dignitary, salesman, lunch box special or other and not recorded in the normal production system.

Add it all up and unless a compelling reason exists as to why this pistol may indeed be a factory special I would not pursue for the above reasons.

I do possess non-factory pistols that I just liked, so I bought them. A fellow could do the same here.

Buy it, letter it and report back. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m no expert by any means, but I’ll wager the rest of the pistol is about as original as the grip screw.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe we should all throw together to pay for a letter! I HATE mysteries, just not enough to pay $75 for a gun that isn't mine. I LOVE 1917s--dey fit my mitt!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Chances are very good that a letter isn't going to tell you much. But that is a chance you have to take.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The pistol is in SC at an antique shop that also has guns. My buddy knows the owner and he mentioned to him that I am a Savage loony. I am, sort of. I never owned a Savage pistol. And that isn’t going to change unless I come across one dirt cheap. Any money on a pistol is money not on a 99. smile

If someone wants to look into it deeper, I am sure I can get the owners contact info. Just send me a PM.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 222ND, 10ring1, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.