Home
As you blokes know ive been unwell so just been looking at sale sites, be blowed if I didn't spot this what I think is a solid frame E. s/n 294029, ive taken a chance and just grabbed it cost me abot $380.00 USD delivered so really can't make a mess of this deal

Someone send me an email address please and I can send some dealer photos you could maybe post

Johno
Wow, sounds like they're giving 99s away down under. Buying new guns is probably a good sign health wise.
John, send to [email protected]
Rory, sent them on mate, to me it appears very original finish with good case color a small chip from toe at butt plate.

Fingers crossed a change in luck would be nice

Johno
For that price, I think anybody here would have snatched it up without a second thought! Used, but pretty well cared for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You think an E solid frame Rory?

We don't them to often, you have to remember finding a safe queen here is near impossible most of these vitage 99's came off cattle & sheep stations (ranches) so were well used I think this will clean up into a nice rifle

Thanks for posting the photos
Johno
It sure looks to be a 99E from the looks of it. Rare bird up here!
i'll send better photos once I have it in hand Rory

Johno
Nice looking rifle regardless of the model it turns out being đź‘ŤAbsolute steal for an HP. It's hard to even find a 300 EG for that anymore around here.

Going to be shooting it, or was it more just a collection piece?
Johno, glad you are spending your down time searching out your passion. That looks like an E to me as well. I have one very much a mate to yours. I have a letter that mine went from the factory to Australia and spent it's entire life there until it went to Maine and then to New Hampshire.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I hope that put an ear to ear gin on your face! Congrats!
You made a killing on that one. I got one in South Carolina quite a few years ago that looked like it had been dropped out of a tree stand and dragged through the palmettos for years. I traded two other 99's that were worth about $1000 for it.
Oh i'm surprised a letter would show it coming down here once I get the rifle and can post better photos & s/n"s I might just look at lettering it that would be cool to track its delivery to Australia

Johno
There's no better tonic for a man, than a fine firearm in his hands and across his lap.

Speedy recovery
Originally Posted by johno
Oh i'm surprised a letter would show it coming down here once I get the rifle and can post better photos & s/n"s I might just look at lettering it that would be cool to track its delivery to Australia

Johno

Here you go johno.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That would be one of the earlier type letters correct? was it Mr Callahan? certainly seems to carry a lot more information than the current ones. Appreciate you posting that mate

Johno
Yes that is a Callahan letter. I am sure a Cody wouldn't go that far unless the info was in the ledger, which I am sure, in this case, it was.
Johno, the serial # places it around the time that Savage transitioned the 99E from the 20" lightweight barrel to the 22" medium weight barrel. I'm curious as to which barrel your rifle has.
Mines got the later front sight.

you won the lottery on that one John.

norm
looking at the original photo on the dealers ad looks like 20" I will see if I can lift that photo and post it, that one has some condition Roy nice rifle

Norm I will feel more comfortable when it arrives but Thursday was a public holiday mourning day the Queen then Friday was also grand final parade for football. No country in the world can come up with more b.s. holidays that Australia so it get posted on Monday

Johno
Originally Posted by johno
looking at the original photo on the dealers ad looks like 20" I will see if I can lift that photo and post it, that one has some condition Roy nice rifle

Norm I will feel more comfortable when it arrives but Thursday was a public holiday mourning day the Queen then Friday was also grand final parade for football. No country in the world can come up with more b.s. holidays that Australia so it get posted on Monday

Johno

Canada is bad for Stat holidays , 13 a year now,, employees love them employers not so much

paying 2--10--20---100 plus people for doing nothing for 2 weeks a year over and above holiday pay
Same here in my state Norm 13, no doubt our leftist state government will come up with some new ones.

Johno
Fellas got to check my 99E today at my gun dealers, still awaiting permit to acquire don't ask its just a convoluted complicated system we in lefty land have to live with

Its far better than the photos, all numbers match looks like its just sat in a cupboard for many years i'm really happy. Bore looks very dark until I get some solvent into it I wont know how good or bad it is

Johno
Awesome!
https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/114180/savage_mod_1899_lever_action_22hp_1924_carbine.html

Fellas another one popped up on a used gun sire here looks to have stock re finish & cold blue but check out the left side of the fore end where it meets the receiver you see that little piece of wood that has been removed? well mine is identical I thought it was chip but they are exactly the same I notice the two posted by other members here do not have that, any thoughts?

Johno
I see that corner piece missing on a bunch of 99’s and 1899’s with refinished stocks, and I’ve never figured out why.
I wouldn’t have thought yours was refinished from the pics. Yours might just be damage somehow?
Ive really looked at mine closely Rory and i'm sure its original every angle sharp on the area around the receiver. Probably a coincidence or I wonder if it goes back to when they carried on the sheep & cattle stations in a certain way that caused the wood to catch on something in that area

Johno
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I see that corner piece missing on a bunch of 99’s and 1899’s with refinished stocks, and I’ve never figured out why.

I've seen those corner pieces missing as well. Never thought much about it until mentioned.
These are only on the left side right side is fine that's why i'm thinking saddle bag or some other bag or container maybe in a wagon or truck, 1929's wouldn't be many trucks out back mostly wagons and spring carts.

Things like this makes you wish you could ask one of those old grey beards yes?

Johno
It's a thin piece of wood, yours might have gotten damaged and the owner just removed a bit to clean it up and keep it from getting worse.

Here's another example of one, and this gun is obviously refinished.

[Linked Image from outdoorlife.com]
mine looks a cleaner removal Rory but note yours is on the left side also.

Many years ago in my youth, black & white tv days we had a US physics professor who had a show on tv and he was always asking the question of his assistant

"why is it so Mr Anderson, why is it so?" so why is it so Mr Calhoun? lol

Johno
I've seen it on both sides of the receiver - usually I see both sides that way since they are trying to make them match when refinishing it. Always wondered how they damaged it in the first place, asked a couple folks about it and nobody has ever really had an answer.
I pulled that chip off once just wiping the gun down with a rag. Snagged on the corner because I was rubbing it against the sharp corner and caught it. You have to be really careful if you have the forearm off and are refinishing, sanding, or wiping it down to always go with the grain and never against that sharp corner. I suspect most of them got snagged while the forearm was off the rifle. Real easy to do if you don't know.
I broke a corner off. The forearm hadn't been removed in years and was stuck to the barrel. When it released the corner did not.
A High Power I still regret selling !

I've repaired more than a couple of those broken corners. It's a ticklish operation, beveling the broken area and creating a clean flat (but very thin) surface upon which to epoxy a dutchman of similar grain , and then carefully/gingerly filing/sanding to shape. Spotting in the finish can be a challenge also. If done right it should pass the two foot test.
Gary when I picked the rifle up from my dealers and noticed the chip I asked if the had any old shot gun stocks and lucked into an old H&R my thoughts were to use a piece off the flats were it slips over the action being old and oily it is a close match, then I decided the chip looks factory finish so I leave it alone lol

Johno
Good to know you're still out and about and shooting 99s. Take care John.
You to George how have you settled in to the new home?

Johno
Life is good John. Life is a dream down here. I'll PM you as it's kinda off topic. Hope you're doing well.
© 24hourcampfire