Home
Just curious if anybody has changes planned during the new year. Goals for new additions? Goals for thinning the herd? Major changes in direction? New Years always foments ideas in my head, some of which I follow through with, some I don't.

For me, no major changes, except, maybe, dispersing a couple more deer rifles to make way for another single shot target rifle or two, or another '03 Springfield. Always wanted a Victorian-era double barreled stalking rifle too.....
I would like to go through the safe and pick out some of the shooters I got early on that I'll never use, clear them out. Still picking up the odd gun here and there to fill holes, but less holes than there used to be.

Big goal for 2023 is to finish the bigger book, was wanting to finish that in 2022.
I tend to focus on collecting Savages. I keep telling myself to stop, but my Savages are me. Till death do us part. New Year is BS. There are some guns I wouldn't touch. I have a fairly small circle I would buy from. When I see the right gun I strike like a hungry trout
I’ll be happy to just make it through another year Gary, pretty sure a gun or two will pop up along the way.
Gary, It's a good question.

I'm thinking of emptying a safe and getting rid of it to make more room in the mancave. I need less stuff, not more.
I downsized my "collection" considerably last year. Like, I mean a lot of stuff got turned into cash. Probably 1/2 of what guns I had this time last year are now Benjamins. Only bought one gun last year. A Browning X-Bolt 25-06 that is an absolute tack driver. I'd like to kill some more antelope.

I don't have any major plans for purchases this year. I'd like to have a 9mm on a 1911 platform. I've always wanted a pre war 99 with a G&H mount. For some reason they tickle my fancy. I have passed on T's, G's and K's with them in the past that I wish I would have bought now. If stubbed my toe on a nice one, I would pick it up. Always looking for that elusive prewar checkered F. Possibly a nice T that wouldn't require a home equity line. Always looking for cut checkered DL's.

I've made the decision to spend most of what time and money I have left on experiences, not stuff. Costa Rica fishing trip in February 23. Africa in 24. Out west again in 25.
I'm with you on the experiences vs. material objects Randy. I turn 70 tomorrow, and having a birthday right at New Years has always been a double-whammy all my life, philosophically speaking, but super significant this year. I gotta ask myself, "how many more good years are on my calendar, and do I have time to experience more of the stuff I always wanted to do?" The answer is "probably not", so why accumulate more stuff (that will never be passed down to heirs, because I haven't any, but will stand in the way of new "experiences" by way of sucking money). I had clearance sales in recent years, expect more of same - but I ain't dead yet, and there are still some guns out there I would like to experience. But, using/shooting the guns I keep is of way more interest now than acquiring more.

Piling up impressive collections of one-make guns has truly never impressed me. I would've bored myself to tears, but that's me.
Randy - let's you, me, and Joe go somewhere deer hunting this year that none of us has ever been to?
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Randy - let's you, me, and Joe go somewhere deer hunting this year that none of us has ever been to?

Check your PMs
Buy a few,sell a few !!always looking for a decent lever gun thats a bit different. Ive got plenty of outside equipment restorations to do. 1925 Linn truck , sterling trucks, cat grader snowcats!! i got a lot more projects to do then i got years left. I do know when you stop doing what you like,your all done !!!! I also got to make syrup this spring ,and got some logs to saw .Don
Im pretty content right now. The last couple i bought were just trade fodder or easy flips. Im still on the lookout for a 22hp EG or T but not holding my breath in the meantime. I know where 2 EG’s are hiding but they are not ready to let go of them yet.
I still need a T to hunt with, that wont break the bank. I would like to pick up a pistol or 2, a savage stryker maybe.
Just curious if anybody has changes planned during the new year. Goals for new additions? Goals for thinning the herd? Major changes in direction? New Years always foments ideas in my head, some of which I follow through with, some I don't.

For me, no major changes, except, maybe, dispersing a couple more deer rifles to make way for another single shot target rifle or two, or another '03 Springfield. Always wanted a Victorian-era double barreled stalking rifle too.....
Since I've been on the forum I Think I have seen two European doubles in 22 HP. The first one went for under $1000. I remember thinking if I had of been paying attention, I could have got that one?
Wow, under $1000 for a double rifle?
I'm not much of a collector anymore, but trying to cut down on stuff! Have a table at a gun show this Saturday., And a couple more down the road. But there's a few guns left I'd try out before it's to late.
Depends on what it was, and its bore condition, might've been good to pass it by!
I should do like 99guy and sell half the 99s I have, but I'm not quite ready to do it yet. I do have five I intend to sell this winter/spring, however. In fact, I just listed one on GB.

I have picked up two nice ones, and one on the way in the last month. The damned things are addictive.

My primary want now is a Tue engraved 99, Leader (B) grade or higher. Still kicking myself that I was too cheap to buy one of the Wes Adams rifles at the Julia auctions in 2012 & 2013.
Originally Posted by damnesia
Wow, under $1000 for a double rifle?
That was right after I joined up here, so around 2011. it was a pretty little rifle. If I jumped in on it, I may have had to sell my wife's Lexus to pay for it. Never know how high they go with two people.
I’m content with what I have. Plan to do some thinning this year, but would not pass up something special that popped up. If you have seen one of mine in the past that peaked your interest you could pm me. Randy, I may have just what you are looking for.
I'm with you on the experiences vs. material objects Randy. I turn 70 tomorrow, and having a birthday right at New Years has always been a double-whammy all my life, philosophically speaking, but super significant this year. I gotta ask myself, "how many more good years are on my calendar, and do I have time to experience more of the stuff I always wanted to do?" The answer is "probably not", so why accumulate more stuff (that will never be passed down to heirs, because I haven't any, but will stand in the way of new "experiences" by way of sucking money). I had clearance sales in recent years, expect more of same - but I ain't dead yet, and there are still some guns out there I would like to experience. But, using/shooting the guns I keep is of way more interest now than acquiring more.

Piling up impressive collections of one-make guns has truly never impressed me. I would've bored myself to tears, but that's me.

Happy Birthday! Congrats & Thanks for O/P-ing an interesting Thread! In senior years 'Health', often the final "definer" of 'good years'. But if so, a powerful secondary "influencer" is economics in retirement years! First in ability 'to' retire and second in some maneuvering space beyond 'nose above water'! Those facets 'under control'; my core definition of "Arrived". Final step as I conjure; happily focus upon what I do have versus lament what I don't! Early eighties age and significantly 'crippled up'. "Mobility impaired". But dang! Life is good! And damn the torpedoes called "Meds!" Cold brew and warm broad! 'Essence' of life preserved! smile smile smile

My collecting era, as you "G". No slavish collector preference. Fairly broad spectrum, primarily rifles focused. Even that, morphed over both time and 'maturity'; or such illusion I like to foster. Finally 'calling' acquisitions over a decade ago. "Time!" And now! Final disclosure! My weird "closet addiction" to "Bubbas". They deserve representation too! And here, to suggest a "collector class" in those reflecting decent conversions! Here to stand and advocate!
Best!
Happy New Year
John
Not really anything "major" planned, since my collection is fairly minimal anyway.

I may put some actual effort into trying to run down a 32-40 for deer hunting this year though, since it's the last 99 I have an actual need for and prices are only getting higher as time passes.
If you need an heir, I would be happy to fill the slot!!!
Originally Posted by zcm82
Not really anything "major" planned, since my collection is fairly minimal anyway.

I may put some actual effort into trying to run down a 32-40 for deer hunting this year though, since it's the last 99 I have an actual need for and prices are only getting higher as time passes.

I killed a deer with mine this year. Loaded it with 165 grain Hornady bullets. It was the first animal I’ve killed with open sights. He was facing me, went all the way through him. It wasn’t fun to clean, but it was the 5th time I’d seen him, first time within 50 yards. I was hoping to kill a pig or two, but never got a shot I felt comfortable taking with open sights.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Plenty of horsepower without a shoulder beating there 😁

I just want one because 32-40 is now a kosher deer cartridge for rifles here. 38-55 would work too, but I just got that 94 in 375 Win a few months back, so I'm going after a 32-40 instead.

Once I get a couple financial obligations taken care of here in the next month or two, I'll put aside some money to start hunting for one.
Kind of undecided. Not real crazy about the post mils anymore but moving slowly on whether to acquire any more earlier 99's. The pressure is off to find any more engraved special rifles since I gave up displaying them at collector gun shows but I'm not interested in parting with any of them either.
Every year I say I'm going to quit buying junk and concentrate on pre WWI rifles. Last year I bought a beautiful 22" 250 A Saddle Gun from a member here, and a 1902 engraved A. So at least I didn't buy any junk rifles. Oh, I almost forgot, I bought a 1923 NRA, a 19-33 NRA, and a 414 Armory, all pretty nice. I like those little 22's. So, my new strategy is no junk!
Years have changed my priorities. Will probably be letting go of a couple pre war 99s to acquire other things that I want more.
I was lucky that my lasix surgery allowed me to use iron sights.

I have more guns to sight in than I have time it seems!

So I think I am going to cull a few, but I tell you what I should have hung onto more guns when Trump was President. Those guns ( mostly marlin 336) have nearly doubled in value compared to when I sold them.

I am beginning to believe a firearm collection ,if it is cared for , appreciates much like real estate without property tax.

I bought a 308 MX recently and a 45 LC 1894 ..( Marlins) I really can’t think of anything I need / want.

Except maybe a 454 casul but they are expensive.

Been thinking about trying reflex/ red dot sights ,as I dislike glassing, and usually stumble around the woods , therefore most encounters with game are very close.
My goal for this year is to buy less guns, and do a lot more reloading and shooting. I really enjoy developing loads for and shooting my predator and deer hunting rifles. Got a 99 in 284 that I want to develop a good hunting load for, and same goes for my 700 Classic in 264 Win Mag. Got a handful of revolvers that I'll never shoot and will likely sell.

R
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
My goal for this year is to buy less guns, and do a lot more reloading and shooting. I really enjoy developing loads for and shooting my predator and deer hunting rifles. Got a 99 in 284 that I want to develop a good hunting load for, and same goes for my 700 Classic in 264 Win Mag. Got a handful of revolvers that I'll never shoot and will likely sell.

R

My 99 in 284 really likes the Speer 145 gr btsp and 4831 SC powder. It works perfectly on game. Very devastating.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I was lucky that my lasix surgery allowed me to use iron sights.

I have more guns to sight in than I have time it seems!

So I think I am going to cull a few, but I tell you what I should have hung onto more guns when Trump was President. Those guns ( mostly marlin 336) have nearly doubled in value compared to when I sold them.

I am beginning to believe a firearm collection ,if it is cared for , appreciates much like real estate without property tax.

I bought a 308 MX recently and a 45 LC 1894 ..( Marlins) I really can’t think of anything I need / want.

Except maybe a 454 casul but they are expensive.

Been thinking about trying reflex/ red dot sights ,as I dislike glassing, and usually stumble around the woods , therefore most encounters with game are very close.

Agreed 110%
Recently losing my mentor has caused me to reflect and rethink a lot of things. Also, I inherited a few boxes of .284 bullets so consequently most of my collection has morphed into a number of 7mm-08 bolt action rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 1920s, American Classics, 250s and 300s remain but these rifles are all bolt guns too, but for a single Savage Model 250-3000 with a cross hatched trigger.

I couldn't justify reloading for everything under the sun and decided to concentrate on fewer calibers.

Custom triggers and tuned guns have tripped my fancy so down the rabbit hole we go:

(a couple of those 7mms)
If anybody feels compelled to thin their herd and has a nice Model 20 in 300 Sav… I am here to help!
82 next month, will try to sell several, keep the top ten or so, I have some 100% condition on the last production of saddle guns that will be the first to go, then duplicates of 250's & 22hp's, a 32-40 thats looking for a home, almost forgot MHG W/bayonet
For 99s the only thing on my radar would be an early A or B with a 26–in barrel. I only have two 99s left to my name and never really had or wanted a large accumulation. However, I’ve had my eye on these rifles for about 51-years now, or since I was a kid in 3rd grade, I have seen more than a few pass my way over time.
Originally Posted by hanco

I killed a deer with mine this year. Loaded it with 165 grain Hornady bullets. It was the first animal I’ve killed with open sights. He was facing me, went all the way through him. It wasn’t fun to clean, but it was the 5th time I’d seen him, first time within 50 yards. I was hoping to kill a pig or two, but never got a shot I felt comfortable taking with open sights.

That is a nice buck for sure. I tend to stay with original bullet weights that I find when I read articles about a particular caliber. Since we are talking .303 Savage I strive to find vintage ammo in good appearing condition and when vintage bullets show up I make every attempt to become the new owner. This is my go to bullet for the .303 Savage. I also have more vintage 250-3000, 38-55, 32-40 and several boxes of 25-55.

This is what I have at hand right now. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, bear or moose with these bullets here in New England.

Excellent bullet.
I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton, but other than that there aren't any firearms that I'm particularly interested in. If something interesting should fall into my lap, I'd probably buy it just because.
New Year 2023 will see a inventory reduction, about a year ago we moved to south Texas (target rich environment) from Minnesota in moving I realized how much stuff I have gathered 99's and Mausers, not nearly as extensive as most of you but too many to deal with, so this year I am keeping 1 savage 99 in a unaltered state, and that was my dad's PE, the rest will all be rebores, or rebarrels in interesting to me calibers that Savage never made or weren't available. Need to do the same thing in the Mauser safe. This year with 5 deer tags in my pocket and plenty of targets, I am going for a deer/pig combo with 5 different Mausers, one deer tag to go with 7 days of season left, next weekend I expect something better seek shelter. Next season will be the 5 savage year if our lease is renewed, but Montana and MN are calling to remove at least a deer god willing also.

It is a hard process for a guy that couldn't say no to a good deal with $$ in his pocket but when i did the paperwork for the insurance, it was like REALLY John it is time to keep the ones you will use and the rest can go to finance using them.
Would like a CD Deluxe with Marlin pistol grip and a 32 40 saddle ring carbine would suppress my wants for this year. Think my family would have a great garage sale if the above were added to my collection. GW wink
Oldgrouser what is bottom bolt action rifle? not one ive seen down here is it a carbine length?

Johno
"I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton"

Jeff, to find one of Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 the American Museum of Natural History would be the logical place to start point of a long chase I suppose... The Keith's 256 Newton on the other hand might a shorter rabbit trail.

Me? It's Burton Spiller's Parker 20 gauge, the one rumoured to have been given to him by G Grouse and later gifted to Tap's son, the author William Tapply, is sadly beyond my reach, much like the Rigby embellished Savage Model 1920 residing in Maine.

Well you can't own them all. Best of health to those who are entrusted with those pieces at this time. Cheers!
Originally Posted by johno
Oldgrouser what is bottom bolt action rifle? not one ive seen down here is it a carbine length?

Johno

I'll take a stab at it. I think it is a Remington model 7
Yes 99guy

Sorry Johno. That's a 1989 Remington Model Seven FS in a Brown Precision stock in 7mm-08 with an 18 1/2" barrel that came tuned from the Remington Custom shop for a "to do" customer up here in Canada. Accurate. smile

(Wished it was a Custom 250 Savage)
It looks a perfectly balanced rifle, it really is calling me agree you need one in 250 also what a nice pair that would be

Johno
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

That is a nice buck for sure. I tend to stay with original bullet weights that I find when I read articles about a particular caliber. Since we are talking .303 Savage I strive to find vintage ammo in good appearing condition and when vintage bullets show up I make every attempt to become the new owner. This is my go to bullet for the .303 Savage. I also have more vintage 250-3000, 38-55, 32-40 and several boxes of 25-55.

This is what I have at hand right now. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, bear or moose with these bullets here in New England.

I kind of feel the same way. I bought ten boxes of 190 grain Silvertips for my 303 F. Took a nice 7 point with the combo. That was the third deer in my Savage Slam. Next month I’m going on a SC pig hunt. Gun one is my 250. Gun two will be the 1902 303, if I get off my butt and get the scope sighted in.
Originally Posted by olgrouser
"I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton"

Jeff, to find one of Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 the American Museum of Natural History would be the logical place to start point of a long chase I suppose... The Keith's 256 Newton on the other hand might a shorter rabbit trail.

Me? It's Burton Spiller's Parker 20 gauge, the one rumoured to have been given to him by G Grouse and later gifted to Tap's son, the author William Tapply, is sadly beyond my reach, much like the Rigby embellished Savage Model 1920 residing in Maine.

Well you can't own them all. Best of health to those who are entrusted with those pieces at this time. Cheers!

My impression was that the gear belonging to the AMNH was left in China in anticipation of next Central Asiatic Expedition. Most people don't know that RCA got into hot water with the Chinese Government after he auctioned off a dinosaur egg. Whoever won the auction donated the egg back to the AMNH, but the Chinese wouldn't issue permits for further expeditions.

Mr. Clark sent me copies of Savage records that show that they sent 4 1920s to the AMNH for those expeditions, so I know the serial numbers, have posted them on this site several times, and I always look at even the most disreputable 1920 just in case.
This is all a very encouraging conversation to Me, even as the lowly accumulator that I am. It keeps what encourages us to push on in these endeavors, in some realistic perspective. Thank You for introducing the question Gary.

I ran into (..not over..) some personal hurdles this past year that have me seriously reevaluating how I spend my time and energy going forward,. This coming year I intend to pick out the very few projects that still reflect my humble tinkerbell ambitions, and keep the even fewer that I still intend to carry in the woods and fields, Then muster my determination to shed the remainder of guns and projects and parts that will never realistically get any more use in my hands.

I am a bit unsettled by how far I've gone down this particular rabbit hole, believing I would somehow end up better off in Watership Downs...

Happier New Year To Us All! Oh, and Happy 70th Birthday Gary!
Ok, Fiver, I'll meet you in the South Tunnel in a half hour for lunch. Hazel.*

(*Ya gotta know Watership Down to get it. A wonderful allegorical tale/morality story based on the author's exploits as a British paratrooper in WWII.)
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My impression was that the gear belonging to the AMNH was left in China in anticipation of next Central Asiatic Expedition. Most people don't know that RCA got into hot water with the Chinese Government after he auctioned off a dinosaur egg. Whoever won the auction donated the egg back to the AMNH, but the Chinese wouldn't issue permits for further expeditions.

Mr. Clark sent me copies of Savage records that show that they sent 4 1920s to the AMNH for those expeditions, so I know the serial numbers, have posted them on this site several times, and I always look at even the most disreputable 1920 just in case.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
This information was given to me by Mr. Clark in his letter, dated March 24, 1993.

"The following Savage 1920s were shipped to the American Museum of Natural History, 3rd Asiatic Expedition, on December 17, 1920; #5575, #5742, and #5747.

#5640, in 300 Savage, shipped "Special Attention, Roy Chapman Andrews", on January 19, 1922."

Also in that letter was this information:

"The first Improved Model 1920 rifle with larger forearm and barrel and the Lyman #54 sight (as standard), without the rear sight slot, came through our production of 06/17/26. However, the first 100 or so will be marked "Improved" before the serial number."

The letter from Mr. Clark reports that my Savage 20/26, # 10594, was accepted on 06/17/26 and shipped to Harry Harrison on the same day. Mr. Clark also notes that the word "Improved" was listed in the log entry.

Jeff
A fella could hunt everything that needs killin around here with just a 284 and a 22-250. Course it'd be nice to have a shotgun and a .22 I suppose.
Svg250

Please check your PMs I have 2 99 Ts and am thinking of selling one of them.

Thanks
Might be nice (theoretically) to downsize to what I can use regularly, such as a bird gun, a slug gun, a center fire rifle and a rimfire rifle. But it is always nice to have backup(s) for each.
I moved a lot of stuff over the last few years to pay for a custom 2 barreled set Fox SXS in 16 gauge.

The guy that did the work's star has risen over the ensuing years and I don't think I could afford him anymore.

He is now the shop foreman at Griffin & Howe.

Its essentially done and I need to pick it up from him soon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

cool cool cool
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I moved a lot of stuff over the last few years to pay for a custom 2 barreled set Fox SXS in 16 gauge.

The guy that did the work's star has risen over the ensuing years and I don't think I could afford him anymore.

He is now the shop foreman at Griffin & Howe.

Its essentially done and I need to pick it up from him soon.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. What a beautiful double. You going to hunt it?

You bet I'm going to hunt with it. I did not get it made to look at it.
Originally Posted by ROMAC

You bet I'm going to hunt with it. I did not get it made to look at it.

That is awesome, makes me happy it will be used as intended.
It will be my go-to grouse, woodcock, pheasant and dove gun.

28 and 30 inch barrels. C/Skt and IC/IM with 2 fore-ends. one splinter and one a real petite semi-beavertail.

2 vanity details are my initials on the trigger guard and ivory tips on the fore-ends. Nash Buckingham had Bert Becker install ivory inserts in his custom guns back in the day. These are warthog tusk ivory.

Keeps getting better
Please stop!
Roger, I'm speechless in awe. The culmination of a lifetime of honing ones needs/desires, culminating in the Ultimate Personal Custom Gun. My sincere congratulations on this achievement.

I see an error of about .002" spacing on one of the scrolls. Kidding! I don't see a flaw anywhere.
The blank that I bought for the project turned out to be spectacular too.

I had a horn butt plate made for it so I could get used to the Length of pull. I was measured for 15 1/8" LOP by a professional fitter. Someday in the future I might have either a leather pad or a skeleton butt made for it.

I sold 2 99's in .375 and a .358 to fund this build plus a bunch of mil-surp stuff too.

Beautiful
That is some absolutely gorgeous wood.

Also... 15.5" LOP? Holy cow, are you 7'2"? 😜
Shotguns typically require longer LOP's than do rifles. I'm fairly average at 6'1" (before scoliosis had its way with me) and I was most comfy with a 15" LOP (and like 13-13 1/2" LOP's on rifles).
Just 6' 3" with long arms.

15 1/8 was what I was measured for. Most professional say that the average shooter uses a gun with the stock too short.

I have a Fox XE that I had an extension put on because the stock was too short that's also 15 1/8 as measured by a different stock man. I use it mostly for doves and occasional tower shoots.

Like I said, I want to get used to the length, that why I put a butt plate on before spending $$ on a fancy leather pad or skeleton Butt. This gun is going to be used more for grouse and woodcock, so I might shorten it some after using it for a while.

I was just messing with you 😉 One of my friends is 5'9" and he has 15" LOP stocks on most of his stuff. I just feel like I'm looking down a cliff shooting them.

I'm 6'3" as well, but with short arms and severely extreme myopia, so I like my LOP really short; 12-13"
I was shocked myself the first time I had a pro measure me. The longest LOP I had up to that point was 14 1/2 inches.

Add to that, I'm left-handed so a lot of guns with cast off just don't work for me. I need cast on or at least neutral to hit crossing shots unless I consciously aim way to make up for the cast.
Geezum, we better not be related, I'm a lefty too 😂
Not going to trade or sell anything, BUT the Savage 99 has been a rifle I'd love to hunt whitetail here in Iowa with. Since the Iowa DNR opened up straight wall rifle and revolver cartridges a few years ago, I went using my Marlin 1894 Cowboy 44 Magnum rifle. It's a deer dropper at the right range, but not a 99. I do love Marlin leverguns though, have more of them than 99's. I started bow hunting in 1969 at 20 years old. Have shotgun hunted most years since then, toss in a half dozen years of muzzleloading. Never really liked using a shotgun, so three years ago started using the Marlin.

George DV 3rd posted recently that he's an Iowan and hunted this fall with a .358 Winchester Model Savage 358 which is one of the legal calibers now available to hunt deer using a centerfire rifle. Has me thinking and drooling either that caliber or a Winchester .375 Savage 99. Last December I ordered and received one of Lightfoots mounts as I PM'ed him I was going to look for another 250 Savage 99 or maybe a .303 to add to my 99 collection. Would have the mount when I bought the rifle. Well, thinking now of going with a Savage 99 .358/.357 caliber to hunt the elusive Iowa whitetail.

Guess my search will be hopefully for a 99EG style 5 which according to my two Savage books was available in .358. Love the EG, no idea how common a .358 EG can be found. See the 2nd version of a Model R and RS both were offered in .358, again-no idea how common they are. Not real interested in a version 2 F, don't really care for lightweight barrels and stocks. Like carrying and shooting a heavier rifle-less felt recoil IMO, just don't care for the light weight. Same opinion on plastic frame pistols. All steel for me.

Savage DL-don't care for the Monte Carlo stock. Savage version 2 E Model-Nope, don't care for plain jane utility models. Could take a Model 99A (2nd version), see it was offered in .375 Winchester. Like the straight stock and Schnabel forearm. Wonder how common they are to find? Guess my last two that I found available in two calibers legal in Iowa are the Savage 99-358 and the 99-375. Either would be acceptable ifin I could get a good look at them, preferably an eyeball one. Wonder what their availability is? See some of these I mentioned are D&Ted already. Was the .375 Winchester available in anything other than the 99A or the 99-375? Well could use that Lightfoot mount on em or save it for another 99. Need to research which caliber will be more appealing and applicable. Fussy ain't I????? Any input greatly appreciated smile
Just because Savage didn't offer something doesn't mean you can't make your own. Life's too short to wish. Top one is a 358 16" carbine w/vintage wood, bottom one is a 375 18" w/vintage wood. Both had straight stocks and levers so the levers were swapped and fitted too.

Man, that 358 looks slick 😁

If I ever do another 99 rebarrel project, it's going to be a little 16-18" stub. I love the accuracy on the McGowen barrel I had done, but that thing is unwieldy being so long.

If I ever do another 99 rebarrel project, it's going to be a little 16-18" stub. I love the accuracy on the McGowen barrel I had done, but that thing is unwieldy being so long.

Too long is not a problem. Too short is a little more difficult.

Originally Posted by Fireball2

Too long is not a problem. Too short is a little more difficult.

Then crown it with a Dremel and you're golden.
I've thought about shortening it, but it shoots so well now... 🤷‍♂️
Here is the first of the year. The plan was to start selling some guns off, 2 years ago. The plan hasn't worked out too well.

This is the first purchase of the new year, Model 70 Super Grade in 22 Hornet, MFG 1951...

Savage94C, all the rifles in 358 and 375 will be factory D&T'd.

From what I have seen both calibers are chased by collectors and hunters and will most likely be in the $1000 to $1500 range.

You are correct that the .375 was only offered in the 99-A (V2) and the 99-375.
Originally Posted by Rick99

From what I have seen both calibers are chased by collectors and hunters and will most likely be in the $1000 to $1500 range.

There's a Savage collector in Oregon that ***claims**** to have a 99C in 375 Winchester. I have not seen it.
The 358’s are nice, not much recoil with a 180 Barnes. I have two F’s both made in 56. I paid 1200.00 for each about 5 yrs ago. Both shoot really well, less than an inch. They thump hell out of pigs.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Here is the first of the year. The plan was to start selling some guns off, 2 years ago. The plan hasn't worked out too well.

This is the first purchase of the new year, Model 70 Super Grade in 22 Hornet, MFG 1951...

Now that's something to quicken the pulse of a rifle loony! I too would've been drawn to it, not so much because it's a M70 SG but because of what it's chambered in. In fact I'm on the cusp of selling a delicious pre-64 M70 Standard grade .30-06 to make way for a custom .22 Hornet I'm building - a pre-war Griffin&Howe style M1903 NRA Sporter with that twist of a different caliber. (G&H offered a service in the Depression years to "gussy up" one's NRA Sporter that one bought directly from the Armory. This is a faithful homage to that, and will partner up with my original NRA Sporter.) Since I'm hunting less and less in my dotage but spending more time just playing with rifles, it fits my needs better than a .30-06, especially since I have a ton of other '06's besides.
Yikes, I posted a Winchester on the Savage forum, I need to pay more attention...

Sorry
Nice rifle, regardless of where it's posted 😁
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Yikes, I posted a Winchester on the Savage forum, I need to pay more attention...

Sorry

We are glad to see it anyway!
Nice pre mil Schrapnel!

As penance you could post a Savage on the Winchester Collectors forum and see how much grace you're shown. wink
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Nice pre mil Schrapnel!

As penance you could post a Savage on the Winchester Collectors forum and see how much grace you're shown. wink

I do have 1 Savage and it has probably killed more birds than any double gun, following a bird dog around all day...

You're right there Rick. The only two I saw searchin GI and GB were two 99-358 and they were in the $1700-1900 range if I remember correctly. More than I want to invest.

There's a Savage collector in Oregon that ***claims**** to have a 99C in 375 Winchester. I have not seen it.

Somewhere, when I read your post Fireball, I recall reading about 99C's in 375 caliber. Can't recall where as at the time I had no thought of a 358/375 99 rifle buy for deer hunting in my state. Only thing I recall is that the article stated the 99C's just had a limited run of them. Didn't think much of it as the C's with their removeable magazine have never been high on my list of favorite 99's. Nice rifles but when I think of 99's, I visualize the rotary magazine. I can't find any information as to their existence on the web, nor any mention in any books I have on the 99.
Originally Posted by Savage94C

Somewhere, when I read your post Fireball, I recall reading about 99C's in 375 caliber. Can't recall where as at the time I had no thought of a 358/375 99 rifle buy for deer hunting in my state. Only thing I recall is that the article stated the 99C's just had a limited run of them. Didn't think much of it as the C's with their removeable magazine have never been high on my list of favorite 99's. Nice rifles but when I think of 99's, I visualize the rotary magazine. I can't find any information as to their existence on the web, nor any mention in any books I have on the 99.

I don't remember the mans name, but I may have his card. He's from Sweet Home, Oregon.
*I can't find his contact info. Best I can do is The Willamette Valley Arms Collectors Association, www.WVACA.org
Would guess it’s a JES conversion. Never say never, but..
Originally Posted by Calhoun

He was very adamant about it being a factory rifle, but you know how that goes...

What's a JES conversion. I'm in the dark on that one!!! confused

JES is a company that rebores rifles
Originally Posted by Poconojack

JES is a company that rebores rifles

Ah--OK, thought that may be the case. Not much on the web for 99's in either 358/375 calibers. Not even alot with Marlins or some of the Ruger bolt actions that were in those calibers. What few are there are high dollar. Did a check of brass for sale on both calibers. Winchester made brass that is for sale is ridiculously high, up to $1.50-1.90 each. Forget that. Starline brass on online outfits is out of stock, even on the Starline site-Out of stock, it runs around .62-.70 per round, tolerable price. Won't buy a caliber only to have to feverishly comb for scarce or pay high dollar brass/bullet prices. I cast a whole lot of bullets. My shop will never float away in a massive flood, it'll stay put with all of the lead I have stored in it.

Have seen and read of gun buyers buying a firearm only to not be able to find brass and/or ammo or have to pay high dollar for the ammo. Ruger Model 57 5.7mmx28 comes to mind. In regards to ammo for rifle or handgun, I won't pay $40-100 for 20/50 rounds of ammo. I reload all of my centerfire rifle and handgun ammo (with a few exceptions at times if good deal). I know if ya wanna play the game ya have to pay, but there is a limit. Have to keep the search for 358/375 99 Sav and available brass. Haven't even checked on availability of dies and such. Might just have to keep pluggin away with the '94 Marlin 44 Mag on thee ol Iowa whitetail. grin
He was very adamant about it being a factory rifle, but you know how that goes...
Goodness knows there's a lot of one-off guns, but I usually go with the odds until shown proof. grin
Never say never, and all that. But I remain skeptical too.

Plant superintendent Bob walks over to the barrel department foreman Ralph and says "Hey Ralph, can you have your boys make me a 99C barrel in some kind of .35 caliber? My nephew is moving to Alaska and I want to outfit him with something special."

As for expensive/oddball/obsolete brass, welcome to my world. Out of all the calibers I own and shoot, pretty much the only easy ones are the .30-06's, .223, and .30-30 (and 6.5x55 sort of) plus pistol brass. All the rest employ hard to find or non-existent brass. Example: when's the last time you saw .25-20 Single Shot brass for sale. In order to feed mine, and the several wildcats based on it, I'm reduced to swaging the brass out of .223's. (I'm not complaining, I view that activity as a part of the whole shooting gestalt.) What brass and component shortages? This is every day stuff for me and has been for a long time!
Good scenario 'gnoahhh'. Could have been possible. I did a search for any 99C either in 358 and 375 calibers on line and all turned up flat. As Calhoun posted the one I read something about or Fireball's post could be a JES or other gunsmith product. As far as obsolete brass, 30/40 Krag is about the only one I have ever had problem getting. Bought 100 rds from Graf once (made by the old Jamison/Captech outfit) and those brass keep me satisfied. Had to scramble for 35 Remington last spring when I bought a Rem 81 chambered in 35 Rem but bought around 150 new if I recall off a post on the classified section here on the forum-at a good price.

Back in Obama's later years as POTUS, when he and his pack of horse thieves and dogs started their anti-gun, ammo, and component control, I started stocking up on what powders, primers, bullets, etc I used and haven't yet to buy primers above the $32 per 1000, smokeless powder above the $20-23 per pound, bullets past $16-20 per 100, black powder above $15-16 per pound, or percussion caps above the $30 per 1000 I paid back then. All the shipping BS, COVID shutdowns, and now Clueless Joe and his hoard of misfits hasn't affected by being able to reload and/or shoot. Cast alot of bullets also, have enough lead both soft and hard to last me. I'm not a hoarder or scalper, just a wise buyer who saw through what anti-American political snakes were trying or attempting to do.
I think Numeric Arms sold barrels and rotors for the 99 for a while after they were dropped from production. I didn't think the barrels were factory marked.
I think Numeric Arms sold barrels and rotors for the 99 for a while after they were dropped from production. I didn't think the barrels were factory marked.

I know they sold a 25-35 barrel to someone here recently LMFAO laugh
Originally Posted by damnesia

I know they sold a 25-35 barrel to someone here recently LMFAO laugh

Just shot it too!

smile
Details, Roy, details. How did it shoot?!

Like all the rest of them.

shocked shocked shocked
Did I ever show you guys this one from a few years back?

Tack drivers, Nice!
Awe, I'm just playing off that old target story we've had so much fun with. LOL The orange one was shot with the 22-250 yesterday! Haha

The 25-35 is severely limited by my eyesight, which seems to get worse every day. I found a decent shooting load yesterday using 27 grains of IMR 4320 and the 117 grain Hornady. I was concentrating on the Sako 22-250 yesterday and was pretty excited about that so the 25-35 was the red-headed stepchild.
A JES rebore has the old markings XXXXX ed out and restampled with new chambering.

That why I always file off/emery/crocus off the old chambering before sending it to him.
Some 44-40 blue upon return and it looks very good.

Like all the rest of them.

Are those powder burns I see on the surrounding white paper? You would think that powder burns would dissipate over a ten foot distance. grin
Vision issues, Roy? Beginnings of cataracts perchance? Like my eye doctor told me, "It's not if a human gets cataracts, it's when." Might be time to sit in an eye doc's chair. I struggled with one in my dominant (shooting) eye for longer than I should've and my shooting showed it. And if there is one and he says it's too soon to cut just reply "but I'm having trouble driving at night", which should get him moving. One of the best things I ever did for myself, put me right back into the world of iron sights again.
Are those powder burns I see on the surrounding white paper? You would think that powder burns would dissipate over a ten foot distance. grin

I clipped a bigfoot as it darted in front of my target.
Goodness knows there's a lot of one-off guns, but I usually go with the odds until shown proof. grin

I sold at least 6 -375 Savage barrels to Stateside,

Norm
And don't we wish you had kept a couple back Norm hmmmmmm lol

Johno
I made up one"E" in 375 with one of those barrels,a friend has it locally. I still have the other one been thinking i need to put it in a action. smile
I still have a 375 barrel but it seems I've gravitated to the 358 and that wonderful Barnes 180 gr ttsx bullet for bear medicine. Ever body wants em a 375 barrel but I can't decide what to do with it just yet.
Well, I set myself down that 32-40 path for this year... ordered brass, bullets, and dies over the weekend.

Now I just gotta scrounge up the funds to start hunting for the rifle. Maybe next month 🤔
I can fix you up with some samples of cast bullets if you want to try some. I've gone way down the .32-40 rabbit hole with a couple .32-40 single shots.
I can fix you up with some samples of cast bullets if you want to try some. I've gone way down the .32-40 rabbit hole with a couple .32-40 single shots.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. I'll take you up on it if I can't get the rifle to shoot the ones I bought. I just got a box to try from Lightning, since I've had good results with thier cast bullets in some other cartridges. I'll probabably try some Hornady and/or Speer jacketed bullets through it, too.

It'll take me a bit to get the scratch together to find a rifle. My wife's car still needs some work before I get to it. I just happened to see the brass in stock, so I figured may as well jump in. 🤣
Yeah, snatch .32-40 brass any time you see it. Production is spotty at best. Trouble is some guys try to fund their retirement by selling a bag or two of it. Of course it can be made from .30-30 brass but it ends up a skinch short, which doesn't matter a whole lot IME.
I saw a 38-55 to 32-40 forming die, but didn't buy one. If I end up it shooting a lot, I may invest in one. I bought 40 rounds of brass, and it was a touch painful. I figured that was enough to start working on loads, at least.

Got my cart, now I just need the horse 😏
Shooting a 32-40 is shooting a 30-30, is shooting a 303, is shooting a 25-35. They all do about the same thing for me. Just fun plinking rounds, but leave something to be desired when it comes to knocking over game out west.

Yeah, I know, the 30-30 has probably killed more game in North America than all other cartridges combined. I get it. But just think how much quicker we could have exterminated the natives if the 284 had come first. And if it had come first, would anyone have even heard of the 30-30? I doubt it. Why would you buy a pinto when you were already driving a bulldozer?
The bulldozer isn't kosher for deer here, but now the Pinto is, so I'm chasing down a Pinto.

I want one 99 of deer legal cartridge in my hunting stable. The ones I have now are pest zappers, or out of state deer rifles.
30-30's also wounded a lot of critters that got away. So did 22 HP
The bulldozer isn't kosher for deer here, but now the Pinto is, so I'm chasing down a Pinto.

I want one 99 of deer legal cartridge in my hunting stable. The ones I have now are pest zappers, or out of state deer rifles.

Oh I hear ya. Never understood the mindset that this or that cartridge is allowed and the other isn't. Short of some arbitrary foot pounds at 100 yards number, none of it makes a lick of sense. Seems more like gun grabbing politicians are incrementally winning.
Yeah, they consider the 32-40 a straight wall under the new rifle rules here. The legalese is a bit convoluted, but basically anything with a shoulder has to be 1.4" case or shorter. 30 cal or larger, 500ft/lb muzzle energy minimum.

There's an attached list of "common" legal cartridges, and 32-40 is on there, so I'll take it. There's a few other really "common" ones on there too, like 357-44 B&D. 😏

I mean I could be wrong, but I imagine the number of 357 Bain & Davis rifles in existence could likely be counted on one hand.
I often thought the .357 B&D would make a nifty cartridge for a small falling block single shot. Pretty similar ballistics as the .357 Maximum. It got a lot of press in the gun rags back in the 60's which may have spurred more than a few rifle conversions. I did know of one in a Winchester 92 back in the late 80's but the fella had issues with it because it's got more snot to it than those old actions were designed for. For my money I'll play the .357 Maxi tune for deer hunting in gov't mandated zones. I'm liking it a lot.

Probably never caught on because uninformed folks think a wildcat without published load data is automatically a recipe for disaster.
I've only ever seen a couple TC pistols chambered in it, and they were both many years ago.
as far as those cartridge limitations are concerned, "Can't fix Stupid"
Originally Posted by wyo1895
as far as those cartridge limitations are concerned, "Can't fix Stupid"

I concur, but it's still a lot better than the old slug gun. I won't miss shooting sabots one bit. I hate heavy recoil, and sabots have gotten ridiculously expensive over the past 5 years or so. Depending on what you're shooting, it's between 3-7 bucks down the drain every time you pull the trigger now. 😬
That price is stupid also
Yeah, building myself a little collection of kosher cartridge rifles now. A 32-40 will most likely be the final piece. That'll give me a rifle for pretty much any deer hunting scenario I'll ever be in around here, plus a spare or two for the little man if he ever decides he wants to hunt with me.
How rare are the 99A’s in 375 Win. Hard to find?? I like steel butt plates. What is a fair price for one?
How rare are the 99A’s in 375 Win. Hard to find?? I like steel butt plates.

That made me wince a bit just reading it 😂 I had to end up putting a decelerator on that 375 Win I bought off Fireball because it kept bruising the living daylights out of my shoulder everytime I shot it.

That made me wince a bit just reading it 😂 I had to end up putting a decelerator on that 375 Win I bought off Fireball because it kept bruising the living daylights out of my shoulder everytime I shot it.

Would it be worse than a .358??
I have no idea or desire to find out 😉

I found one in pristine condition, like an idiot I doubled my money but could have tripled it easily if I waited/wanted to.

I don't think they kick too hard.
Here shoot this, they said. It won't kick, they said. I'll never fall for that trick again, I said!
I bought a 99 CD in 375 NIB for $900. I never shot it (the only 99 I ever owned that I did not shoot). I sold it a few years later for just under $4000 and thought I was making money.
Here shoot this, they said. It won't kick, they said. I'll never fall for that trick again, I said!

Yeah, I don't fall for that one anymore, either. If it's over about 6.5mm and someone needs to preface handing off a rifle with a statement like that...it's probably not something I want to shoot 😏
How rare are the 99A’s in 375 Win. Hard to find?? I like steel butt plates. What is a fair price for one?

One of the members on the Facebook site keeps a spreadsheet up. He has 3500 savage lever entries in it and 21 are 375 Win, 10/11 split between 99A and 99-375.
Originally Posted by KeithNyst

One of the members on the Facebook site keeps a spreadsheet up. He has 3500 savage lever entries in it and 21 are 375 Win, 10/11 split between 99A and 99-375.

Thank you, not too many. My boy is named Keith.
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
I bought a 99 CD in 375 NIB for $900. I never shot it (the only 99 I ever owned that I did not shoot). I sold it a few years later for just under $4000 and thought I was making money.

Details details details!!!
99CD in 375? Don't happen to have saved a picture of the box label?
The standard magazine wouldn't work for 375?
I have been looking through boxes of papers because I knew the question would surface. Will continue the search...
As I recall, it had a unique magazine marked only with the 3 digits 375. I am rummaging through the archives to find the pictures I took before I shipped it. Will advise.
Well, the brass came in today, so I finished polishing up the cart. Now it's just time to find the horse 🤣

As I recall, it had a unique magazine marked only with the 3 digits 375. I am rummaging through the archives to find the pictures I took before I shipped it. Will advise.

Finally, some new intel!

Finally, some new intel!

Let's hope the Russians/Chinese/N.Koreans don't here this!
© 24hourcampfire