Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Not really anything "major" planned, since my collection is fairly minimal anyway.

I may put some actual effort into trying to run down a 32-40 for deer hunting this year though, since it's the last 99 I have an actual need for and prices are only getting higher as time passes.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If you need an heir, I would be happy to fill the slot!!!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by zcm82
Not really anything "major" planned, since my collection is fairly minimal anyway.

I may put some actual effort into trying to run down a 32-40 for deer hunting this year though, since it's the last 99 I have an actual need for and prices are only getting higher as time passes.

I killed a deer with mine this year. Loaded it with 165 grain Hornady bullets. It was the first animal I’ve killed with open sights. He was facing me, went all the way through him. It wasn’t fun to clean, but it was the 5th time I’d seen him, first time within 50 yards. I was hoping to kill a pig or two, but never got a shot I felt comfortable taking with open sights.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/03/23.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Plenty of horsepower without a shoulder beating there 😁

I just want one because 32-40 is now a kosher deer cartridge for rifles here. 38-55 would work too, but I just got that 94 in 375 Win a few months back, so I'm going after a 32-40 instead.

Once I get a couple financial obligations taken care of here in the next month or two, I'll put aside some money to start hunting for one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kind of undecided. Not real crazy about the post mils anymore but moving slowly on whether to acquire any more earlier 99's. The pressure is off to find any more engraved special rifles since I gave up displaying them at collector gun shows but I'm not interested in parting with any of them either.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every year I say I'm going to quit buying junk and concentrate on pre WWI rifles. Last year I bought a beautiful 22" 250 A Saddle Gun from a member here, and a 1902 engraved A. So at least I didn't buy any junk rifles. Oh, I almost forgot, I bought a 1923 NRA, a 19-33 NRA, and a 414 Armory, all pretty nice. I like those little 22's. So, my new strategy is no junk!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Years have changed my priorities. Will probably be letting go of a couple pre war 99s to acquire other things that I want more.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was lucky that my lasix surgery allowed me to use iron sights.

I have more guns to sight in than I have time it seems!

So I think I am going to cull a few, but I tell you what I should have hung onto more guns when Trump was President. Those guns ( mostly marlin 336) have nearly doubled in value compared to when I sold them.

I am beginning to believe a firearm collection ,if it is cared for , appreciates much like real estate without property tax.

I bought a 308 MX recently and a 45 LC 1894 ..( Marlins) I really can’t think of anything I need / want.

Except maybe a 454 casul but they are expensive.

Been thinking about trying reflex/ red dot sights ,as I dislike glassing, and usually stumble around the woods , therefore most encounters with game are very close.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My goal for this year is to buy less guns, and do a lot more reloading and shooting. I really enjoy developing loads for and shooting my predator and deer hunting rifles. Got a 99 in 284 that I want to develop a good hunting load for, and same goes for my 700 Classic in 264 Win Mag. Got a handful of revolvers that I'll never shoot and will likely sell.

R

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99in22_250
My goal for this year is to buy less guns, and do a lot more reloading and shooting. I really enjoy developing loads for and shooting my predator and deer hunting rifles. Got a 99 in 284 that I want to develop a good hunting load for, and same goes for my 700 Classic in 264 Win Mag. Got a handful of revolvers that I'll never shoot and will likely sell.

R

My 99 in 284 really likes the Speer 145 gr btsp and 4831 SC powder. It works perfectly on game. Very devastating.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I was lucky that my lasix surgery allowed me to use iron sights.

I have more guns to sight in than I have time it seems!

So I think I am going to cull a few, but I tell you what I should have hung onto more guns when Trump was President. Those guns ( mostly marlin 336) have nearly doubled in value compared to when I sold them.

I am beginning to believe a firearm collection ,if it is cared for , appreciates much like real estate without property tax.

I bought a 308 MX recently and a 45 LC 1894 ..( Marlins) I really can’t think of anything I need / want.

Except maybe a 454 casul but they are expensive.

Been thinking about trying reflex/ red dot sights ,as I dislike glassing, and usually stumble around the woods , therefore most encounters with game are very close.

Agreed 110%

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recently losing my mentor has caused me to reflect and rethink a lot of things. Also, I inherited a few boxes of .284 bullets so consequently most of my collection has morphed into a number of 7mm-08 bolt action rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 1920s, American Classics, 250s and 300s remain but these rifles are all bolt guns too, but for a single Savage Model 250-3000 with a cross hatched trigger.

I couldn't justify reloading for everything under the sun and decided to concentrate on fewer calibers.

Custom triggers and tuned guns have tripped my fancy so down the rabbit hole we go:

(a couple of those 7mms)

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If anybody feels compelled to thin their herd and has a nice Model 20 in 300 Sav… I am here to help!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
82 next month, will try to sell several, keep the top ten or so, I have some 100% condition on the last production of saddle guns that will be the first to go, then duplicates of 250's & 22hp's, a 32-40 thats looking for a home, almost forgot MHG W/bayonet

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For 99s the only thing on my radar would be an early A or B with a 26–in barrel. I only have two 99s left to my name and never really had or wanted a large accumulation. However, I’ve had my eye on these rifles for about 51-years now, or since I was a kid in 3rd grade, I have seen more than a few pass my way over time.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by zcm82

I killed a deer with mine this year. Loaded it with 165 grain Hornady bullets. It was the first animal I’ve killed with open sights. He was facing me, went all the way through him. It wasn’t fun to clean, but it was the 5th time I’d seen him, first time within 50 yards. I was hoping to kill a pig or two, but never got a shot I felt comfortable taking with open sights.

That is a nice buck for sure. I tend to stay with original bullet weights that I find when I read articles about a particular caliber. Since we are talking .303 Savage I strive to find vintage ammo in good appearing condition and when vintage bullets show up I make every attempt to become the new owner. This is my go to bullet for the .303 Savage. I also have more vintage 250-3000, 38-55, 32-40 and several boxes of 25-55.

This is what I have at hand right now. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, bear or moose with these bullets here in New England.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Excellent bullet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton, but other than that there aren't any firearms that I'm particularly interested in. If something interesting should fall into my lap, I'd probably buy it just because.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
New Year 2023 will see a inventory reduction, about a year ago we moved to south Texas (target rich environment) from Minnesota in moving I realized how much stuff I have gathered 99's and Mausers, not nearly as extensive as most of you but too many to deal with, so this year I am keeping 1 savage 99 in a unaltered state, and that was my dad's PE, the rest will all be rebores, or rebarrels in interesting to me calibers that Savage never made or weren't available. Need to do the same thing in the Mauser safe. This year with 5 deer tags in my pocket and plenty of targets, I am going for a deer/pig combo with 5 different Mausers, one deer tag to go with 7 days of season left, next weekend I expect something better seek shelter. Next season will be the 5 savage year if our lease is renewed, but Montana and MN are calling to remove at least a deer god willing also.

It is a hard process for a guy that couldn't say no to a good deal with $$ in his pocket but when i did the paperwork for the insurance, it was like REALLY John it is time to keep the ones you will use and the rest can go to finance using them.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Would like a CD Deluxe with Marlin pistol grip and a 32 40 saddle ring carbine would suppress my wants for this year. Think my family would have a great garage sale if the above were added to my collection. GW wink

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 21, 47 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,765
Posts18,476,713
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.