Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
gnoahhh Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just curious if anybody has changes planned during the new year. Goals for new additions? Goals for thinning the herd? Major changes in direction? New Years always foments ideas in my head, some of which I follow through with, some I don't.

For me, no major changes, except, maybe, dispersing a couple more deer rifles to make way for another single shot target rifle or two, or another '03 Springfield. Always wanted a Victorian-era double barreled stalking rifle too.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would like to go through the safe and pick out some of the shooters I got early on that I'll never use, clear them out. Still picking up the odd gun here and there to fill holes, but less holes than there used to be.

Big goal for 2023 is to finish the bigger book, was wanting to finish that in 2022.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to focus on collecting Savages. I keep telling myself to stop, but my Savages are me. Till death do us part. New Year is BS. There are some guns I wouldn't touch. I have a fairly small circle I would buy from. When I see the right gun I strike like a hungry trout

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ll be happy to just make it through another year Gary, pretty sure a gun or two will pop up along the way.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gary, It's a good question.

I'm thinking of emptying a safe and getting rid of it to make more room in the mancave. I need less stuff, not more.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I downsized my "collection" considerably last year. Like, I mean a lot of stuff got turned into cash. Probably 1/2 of what guns I had this time last year are now Benjamins. Only bought one gun last year. A Browning X-Bolt 25-06 that is an absolute tack driver. I'd like to kill some more antelope.

I don't have any major plans for purchases this year. I'd like to have a 9mm on a 1911 platform. I've always wanted a pre war 99 with a G&H mount. For some reason they tickle my fancy. I have passed on T's, G's and K's with them in the past that I wish I would have bought now. If stubbed my toe on a nice one, I would pick it up. Always looking for that elusive prewar checkered F. Possibly a nice T that wouldn't require a home equity line. Always looking for cut checkered DL's.

I've made the decision to spend most of what time and money I have left on experiences, not stuff. Costa Rica fishing trip in February 23. Africa in 24. Out west again in 25.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm with you on the experiences vs. material objects Randy. I turn 70 tomorrow, and having a birthday right at New Years has always been a double-whammy all my life, philosophically speaking, but super significant this year. I gotta ask myself, "how many more good years are on my calendar, and do I have time to experience more of the stuff I always wanted to do?" The answer is "probably not", so why accumulate more stuff (that will never be passed down to heirs, because I haven't any, but will stand in the way of new "experiences" by way of sucking money). I had clearance sales in recent years, expect more of same - but I ain't dead yet, and there are still some guns out there I would like to experience. But, using/shooting the guns I keep is of way more interest now than acquiring more.

Piling up impressive collections of one-make guns has truly never impressed me. I would've bored myself to tears, but that's me.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Randy - let's you, me, and Joe go somewhere deer hunting this year that none of us has ever been to?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Randy - let's you, me, and Joe go somewhere deer hunting this year that none of us has ever been to?

Check your PMs

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Buy a few,sell a few !!always looking for a decent lever gun thats a bit different. Ive got plenty of outside equipment restorations to do. 1925 Linn truck , sterling trucks, cat grader snowcats!! i got a lot more projects to do then i got years left. I do know when you stop doing what you like,your all done !!!! I also got to make syrup this spring ,and got some logs to saw .Don

Last edited by Loggah; 01/02/23.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im pretty content right now. The last couple i bought were just trade fodder or easy flips. Im still on the lookout for a 22hp EG or T but not holding my breath in the meantime. I know where 2 EG’s are hiding but they are not ready to let go of them yet.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I still need a T to hunt with, that wont break the bank. I would like to pick up a pistol or 2, a savage stryker maybe.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just curious if anybody has changes planned during the new year. Goals for new additions? Goals for thinning the herd? Major changes in direction? New Years always foments ideas in my head, some of which I follow through with, some I don't.

For me, no major changes, except, maybe, dispersing a couple more deer rifles to make way for another single shot target rifle or two, or another '03 Springfield. Always wanted a Victorian-era double barreled stalking rifle too.....
Since I've been on the forum I Think I have seen two European doubles in 22 HP. The first one went for under $1000. I remember thinking if I had of been paying attention, I could have got that one?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow, under $1000 for a double rifle?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm not much of a collector anymore, but trying to cut down on stuff! Have a table at a gun show this Saturday., And a couple more down the road. But there's a few guns left I'd try out before it's to late.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on what it was, and its bore condition, might've been good to pass it by!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I should do like 99guy and sell half the 99s I have, but I'm not quite ready to do it yet. I do have five I intend to sell this winter/spring, however. In fact, I just listed one on GB.

I have picked up two nice ones, and one on the way in the last month. The damned things are addictive.

My primary want now is a Tue engraved 99, Leader (B) grade or higher. Still kicking myself that I was too cheap to buy one of the Wes Adams rifles at the Julia auctions in 2012 & 2013.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by damnesia
Wow, under $1000 for a double rifle?
That was right after I joined up here, so around 2011. it was a pretty little rifle. If I jumped in on it, I may have had to sell my wife's Lexus to pay for it. Never know how high they go with two people.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m content with what I have. Plan to do some thinning this year, but would not pass up something special that popped up. If you have seen one of mine in the past that peaked your interest you could pm me. Randy, I may have just what you are looking for.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/02/23.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm with you on the experiences vs. material objects Randy. I turn 70 tomorrow, and having a birthday right at New Years has always been a double-whammy all my life, philosophically speaking, but super significant this year. I gotta ask myself, "how many more good years are on my calendar, and do I have time to experience more of the stuff I always wanted to do?" The answer is "probably not", so why accumulate more stuff (that will never be passed down to heirs, because I haven't any, but will stand in the way of new "experiences" by way of sucking money). I had clearance sales in recent years, expect more of same - but I ain't dead yet, and there are still some guns out there I would like to experience. But, using/shooting the guns I keep is of way more interest now than acquiring more.

Piling up impressive collections of one-make guns has truly never impressed me. I would've bored myself to tears, but that's me.

Happy Birthday! Congrats & Thanks for O/P-ing an interesting Thread! In senior years 'Health', often the final "definer" of 'good years'. But if so, a powerful secondary "influencer" is economics in retirement years! First in ability 'to' retire and second in some maneuvering space beyond 'nose above water'! Those facets 'under control'; my core definition of "Arrived". Final step as I conjure; happily focus upon what I do have versus lament what I don't! Early eighties age and significantly 'crippled up'. "Mobility impaired". But dang! Life is good! And damn the torpedoes called "Meds!" Cold brew and warm broad! 'Essence' of life preserved! smile smile smile

My collecting era, as you "G". No slavish collector preference. Fairly broad spectrum, primarily rifles focused. Even that, morphed over both time and 'maturity'; or such illusion I like to foster. Finally 'calling' acquisitions over a decade ago. "Time!" And now! Final disclosure! My weird "closet addiction" to "Bubbas". They deserve representation too! And here, to suggest a "collector class" in those reflecting decent conversions! Here to stand and advocate!
Best!
Happy New Year
John

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.