Home
Posted By: moosemike Changing out 99 slide safety - 04/24/23
Some jackwagon somewhere along the way grinded the slide safety down on my 99. Being a left hander it's almost impossible to get off quickly. How difficult is it to swap out the safety? And did they change the slide safety at any point? This is a 1924 rifle
It's easy. Take the butt stock off and you'll see what needs to be done. May be a vid on U-Tube.
Thanks. Are all slide safeties the same?
Pull the buttstock, drive the slide pin out from left to right (like everything else in a 99) now be careful. As you move the slide out rearward, a small ribbon spring will fall out. Don't let it get away. Remove the slide. Place the ribbon spring in the new slide as you insert it in the channel. The ribbon spring must be compressed slightly as the slide moves forward. Sometimes I can squeeze it with my thumbnail; sometimes I need needle nose pliers. Don't smash it. A tiny bit of compression is all you need. Move the slide forward all the way to the lock position, then back it up slightly. The pin should let you insert it without a fight (from the right). Sometimes the pin has an upset mark on the head. Make sure that end goes in last. Reinstall the stock.
Thank you
There were several different shapes on the safety. I think by 1924 they had standardized to the shape that continued until the tang safety came out. I'll check my 1924 vintage 99E and add to the post later
Do any of you know how long they used the "original" safety? It's a round rod with no spring, I assume left over from 1895s. Couldn't have been used too long, I'm thinking a few years max
I believe the safety design change came with the 90K upgrades.
I agree
If you get a new part it is not just a drop-in. Will have to fitted to engage the trigger and lever for proper action.

Be careful!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
If you get a new part it is not just a drop-in. Will have to fitted to engage the trigger and lever for proper action.

Be careful!

Good to know! Are you talking file work?
Yes, I think a file will do it.
Ok thanks!
The primary mission of the slide is to block the trigger from moving; the secondary mission is to block the lever from coming open, both when the slide is in the forward position. In my experience, both conditions are met if the slide is the correct vintage and it will move all the way forward till the "handle" touches the lever. The only filing I have ever had to do is on the slide top surface of the front end, just enough to allow it to move all the way forward. I took a picture of the 7 versions of the (Lever) slide that I am aware of; now I need to figure out how to post it here.
Hopefully, here comes the picture[img]http://posting.cc/wtjYjSq7[/img]
If that does not work, pm me your email and I will send the image.
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
Hopefully, here comes the picture[img]http://posting.cc/wtjYjSq7[/img]
That didn't work
Originally Posted by moosemike
Hopefully, here comes the picture[img]http://posting.cc/wtjYjSq[/img]
That didn't work

I tried something with the link, but it didn't work either.
Didn't work for me, either. I will be happy to email it to anyone who can post it. Then I can get back to my Bridgeport and do some real work.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here's hoping
I thought this was real work...oh you mean makes money kind of work. laugh wink
He scores!

How long were the bent tab safeties used?

Here's hoping

I had no idea there were that many!

Which are interchangeable?

What does the 4th down use for a spring/friction? When was it used?
I think the top 3 are interchangeable.

1. The most common post war pre mil version
2. Looks bent but was ground that way. I've seen quite a few of these.
3. Similar to 1 but handle is single thickness bent tab, common to older s/n
4. Round hole, tension spring is doubly conical coil. Have not seen many of these. Might interchange with 1-3?
5. Bent tab. I will try to determine both direction interchangeability when I get time.
6. Probably a damaged version of 5.

I think all 6 are post 90,000.

7. Definitely pre 85.000

Here's hoping
I believe I had the second from the top. The replacement I purchased looks like the third one down. It turned out to be a drop in replacement and works fine. I just got done doing the swap. Thanks everyone!
Great info. Thank you!

I added to the Misc Good Things posting.
How do I remove the safety slide on a "pre 85,000" 1899 action? Mine is 19xxx, and so loose that it won't hold position if tipped muzzle up/down. Never seen one on Ebay, if I have to replace it, does anyone have a spare that they would sell?
I have one. I think you just spread the crack open a little bit with a screwdriver to increase the tension on the last one don't you?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I think you just spread the crack open a little bit with a screwdriver to increase the tension on the last one don't you?
Yes, that safety is shaped somewhat like a cotter pin.
Some disassembly is required and then just spread it open some to increase the friction fit.
Originally Posted by BillAF84
How do I remove the safety slide on a "pre 85,000" 1899 action?
There are some Savage 1899 Disassembly videos on youtube that are helpful.
Otherwise you'll need a quality set of screwdrivers and brass punch.
Summary:
remove butt plate screws/plate
remove stock bolt w/long screwdriver
pull/remove butt stock
I don't have a rifle in front of me and been a while since I've done one, but if I recall correctly...
remove the trigger screw/bushing
punch out the trigger pin
remove trigger and lever
I think you can see what you are dealing with at this point.
Hope this helps.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks for the info...these early ones do have some differences, and documentation is scarce. You guys are probably my best source. Until I saw the above pictures, I had no idea there was that much of a change. Was that a carryover from the 1895?
© 24hourcampfire