Home
Posted By: AJ59 Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
I picked up a nice '57 99 in .308win. Should receive it in a couple of days. Looking for sugestions for a deer and pig hunting scope. Low powered fixed or variable, new or vintage? Thanks.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
the newer scopes are better than the older ones. Mostly I like Leupolds although I have a Weaver KV on my 308EG. I've killed a number of elk with that combination. Some of the guys on here are surprised that it still works so I don't know that I would recommend you get a KV.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
For all around use in Texas on that gun I'd go with a 2-7X. Can't beat the Leupold but there are other choices too.
Posted By: DME Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
I have a '56 EG .308 that I'm in the process of setting up. I'm putting a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 on mine. Leupold quality, not too big, not too heavy, a magnification range that covers anything I'm ever going to shoot, and that red dot reticle that is a huge help for these 77 year old eyes. They've been out of production for a while now, but they can still be found. A bit pricey, but it fills the bill for me. Good luck on finding what works for you.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
Thanks, I have one on my JC Higgins model 50 and really like it. Was thinking 1-4 but tube length I'm not sure of.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5. Light, compact, good glass, doesn't screw up handling of a 99 too much.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
Thanks, looks good. Gives me a couple possibilities. I have some of the weaver tip off rings. Once I get the rifle in my hands it will help.
Don't see any Vortex talk here.
Should check them out.

UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
FULLY TRANSFERABLE
NO RECEIPT NEEDED

Vortex
Posted By: saddlering Re: Scope suggestions - 03/14/24
I bought a mint Weaver K4-1 with a large target dot, shot it yesterday on my 303, worked out great! Never saw a Dot scope with this large of a dot, very clear, plan on shooting a deer or two this fall with it!
Posted By: 99guy Re: Scope suggestions - 03/15/24
There are many good choices for scoping a 99

My personal favorite in the Leupold 2.5-8x vari x lll generations. The 2-7 vari x ll generations would be a close second
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/15/24
On the hunt for a Leupold. Enough tube length to have some adjustment for eye relief. Have a vari xII 2-7x33 on jc higgins. Very nice glass. Holds zero.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Scope suggestions - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5. Light, compact, good glass, doesn't screw up handling of a 99 too much.

[Linked Image]

Exactly the scope that is on my 99F .300 Savage only with the heavy Duplex. There is no losing that reticle in low light and that happened with my standard Leupold Duplex 2.5-8x36. We don’t shoot that far here and in Texas your shots might be longer so more scope might be preferable. The exit pupil (eye box) is huge on that 1.5-5x20 so mounted low it makes for a very fast jump gun scope with a less than perfect cheek weld.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/16/24
The thing that irks me about the straight tubes is when they fill with snow in the front. I pretty much use flippy caps on them now. Which blow pulling them outta a saddle scabbard.

I wish they would put the front lens closer to the end of the scope.

Illuminated reticles are nice to have.
Posted By: RAS Re: Scope suggestions - 03/16/24
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102489474

1-4x24

$125 on sale.

Ships free right now from MidwayUSA. Free shipping will end soon.

I have a few. Very bright and plenty of scope.
Posted By: mjac Re: Scope suggestions - 03/16/24
I went with a newer (read short tube) Leupold 2x7 mostly because I had two of them. I used a extended weaver ring, reversed on the forward base of the weaver two piece weaver bases to get the eye relief I desired. Details in the link.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7247/short-tube-scope-mount#Post19277247

However, if I could have found one, a Weaver Extreme 1.5x5 Illuminated Dot, it would have been my choice. Sadly, out of production now.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/16/24
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I bought a Sightron S1 1.75-5x32 for my 1972 99c series a. Weaver 2 piece bases with Weaver rings. Just enough room and eye relief. Once I get the buttstock finished and back on I'll post some photos. I have been going through the listings on Vintage gun scopes to see what is in stock. I like the idea of a Leupold or Redfield one piece base and rings.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
my Bushnell Elite 4500 1X4 scope came today. I put it on the 308EG.
[Linked Image]
I think the EG looks better with the KV on it.
[Linked Image]
but at least the Bushnell doesn't look as bad as the 99 with the picatinney rail
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
Those Bushnell Elite 4500 1-4x24s are heavy, how does it feel on your rifle?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
Looks like it belongs on a rail and black gun to me.

To each their own.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
The Leupold M8 6x works for me.
20 to 230 yards.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: svg250 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
I like older redfield wideviews 2 x7, or 3x9, they work for me.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
Originally Posted by 99guy
Looks like it belongs on a rail and black gun to me.

To each their own.

I like the modern glass alot.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
it's a little heavier than the KV. It is real clear. I'm going to shoot it but will probably put the KV back on the EG and put the Bushnell on something else.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
Originally Posted by wyo1895
it's a little heavier than the KV. It is real clear. I'm going to shoot it but will probably put the KV back on the EG and put the Bushnell on something else.

I have that scope on an AR in 6.5 Grendel. Light transmission is fine, but the reticle seems a little too thin/fine for low light conditions. The outer legs of the reticle seem thinner/finer than average and much smaller/finer than the Leupold Heavy Duplex.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/19/24
Trying to decide between the 1.5-5 and the 2-7. Most of my shots are going to be 125 yd and under. Post Oak Savannah with native grass, scattered Mesquite and lots of post oak trees, big post oak trees. Some Evergreen Yaupon Holly which makes a great screen to hide behind. 1.5-5 on one of the 99s, and the 2-7 on the other 99. Carry them both in, that way I can't lose. Lol! Really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Either way it should work out just fine.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Scope suggestions - 03/20/24
A '57 99 will have the low comb and you might be able to get that 1.5-5x20 a bit lower on the receiver than the 2-7x33 for a better cheek weld. My '57 99F comes up and points perfectly with a 1.5-5x20 heavy duplex, but I have a rather round face shape and a lower mounted scope works well. That said as I get older I do appreciate a few more x's in my sitting rifle scope to judge antlers or pick a path through the brush. That 99 is my walking around rifle and for that the 1.5-5x20 would be perfect that is if I still did much walking around still hunting. I am kind of surprised to read that you mostly shoot shorter range in Texas. That heavy duplex reticle really stands out in dim light against brush, but it sure isn't a target or long range reticle.
Posted By: AJ59 Re: Scope suggestions - 03/21/24
The piece of property where I hunt is only 20 acres. It has cattle grazing on three sides. The other side is a grass air strip. Since the deer don't have to compete with the cattle for food there are some good native food sources for the deer. Dewberries, Chickasaw plums, Mesquite beans, and what they really seem to love in the winter time is perennial rye grass. They will come to the feeder for some corn but once we have our first cold spell and the rye grass comes up they don't bother with the corn. I'm the only one hunting on this piece of property, it belongs to a friend of mine that lives in San antonio. Deer aren't huge, typical size for this area but they are healthy. The only problem are the feral hogs. Have to try and get out here when the weather warms up and encourage them to go elsewhere.
© 24hourcampfire