Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 1957 99F, factory drilled and tapped, wearing a K4 in weaver rings on weaver 2 pc mounts.

I wish to mount a Leupold 2x7 using the existing weaver rings and 2 pc mounts. A trial fit with the existing weaver combination and short tubed scope will fit but there is virtually no room to allow for any eye relief adjustment. I cannot move the scope rearward enough to accommodate my eyes.

I have read that some have used a weaver extension rings (reversed) which will allow some rearward movement. Picatinny rails are another option but I would prefer not to go that route.

I would appreciate your comments/suggestions re: reversed weaver extension rings use or any other mounting method.

Thank you.

Ps, the weaver K4 looks great on the 99 but my tired old eyes need some help.

Last edited by mjac; 03/07/24.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You could buy 2 set of Weaver style extension rings and use both of the extended ones.

B-Square used to make inexpensive Weaver style rings, their Sport Utility line, and at least one height of extended rings. I have bought them from CDNN and you can probably find them on eBay.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's not an unfamiliar problem with modern compact scopes on guns that were designed decades before they became commonplace. You also could use a Redfield/Leupold base with an extension ring facing rearward on the front. Or find a bit longer and perhaps bit older 2x7. Something with much better glass than the Weaver but long enough to accomodate. Say like an older Leupold or Redfied 2x7.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Wouldn't you know it, I sold two older Redfield Revolution 2x7's a while back. I have two newer (short tube) Leupold 2x7 collecting dust.

I am leaning towards at least a rear facing ring on the front.

I'll keep the Leopold/Redfield option in mind but I wasn't aware that there was an extended ring available for a Leopold/Redfield base?

Thanks

Edit: I found the redfield ext rings you mentioned.
Question, will I use the rings with the Jr model the std model?

Last edited by mjac; 03/07/24. Reason: Found pricey red field ext rings

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't the front ring on the Redfield/Leopold one piece base set farther forward than the ring on a Weaver two piece base?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rick99
Doesn't the front ring on the Redfield/Leopold one piece base set farther forward than the ring on a Weaver two piece base?

Yeah, come to think of it an extension ring would put the front ring pretty much where the Weaver base sits. Sorry I didn'tthinkofthat. Given that. If it was me I'd sell or tade off one of the newer Leupolds for an older but longer 2x7. I've had examples of older Redfield and Leupolds that seemed to work fine.

However, isn't there a one piece Picatinny/Weaver base floating around for the 99? Seems to me that would fix the problem.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check this out on eBay:

Weaver Picatinny Mount for Factory Drilled & Tapped Savage 99 Models

Here's the seller:

NorthWoodsOutpost of MN (63669)

PS - I have no stake in this auction

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by S99VG
Yeah, come to think of it an extension ring would put the front ring pretty much where the Weaver base sits.

I am not sure with I am following correctly. Is the above statement true when the extension ring is facing rearward? Thus no help with moving the scope rearward?

I was hoping to avoid a rail but thanks for the link.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, the 1 piece Redfield style mount with an extension front would be where the Weaver base sets.

If you have Weaver bases go to ebay and buy some Weaver extension rings. There are several on there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mjac
Yeah, come to think of it an extension ring would put the front ring pretty much where the Weaver base sits.
I am not sure with I am following correctly. Is the above statement true when the extension ring is facing rearward? Thus no help with moving the scope rearward?

That was a mistake on my part. Rick 99 caught it. My apologies for that one.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

M
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Digging in my box of scopes/rings I found another scope, a Redfield Revolution 3x9. It's larger than what I wanted to use and it has a crappy Accu range reticle. It is further back and better for my eyes.

In the picture, that's the 3x9 on the rifle.
Above next is a K4, and on top a 2x7 the clearest of them all.

M
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
No apology needed. I was just confused. Easy to do. Thanks for your help. Everyone's help actually, its been an education!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hear you on the one piece rail. For beauty they really don’t take the prize. However they can’t be beat for functionality. I do like Weaver rings on the 99. So if you go with the rail I think you’re getting 50/50 looks and functionality.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this works, Leupold or Redfield mount with offset front Leupold front mount. I got this one from Cabelas. the scope is a new Leupold 2x7
[Linked Image]
another rifle with the regular ring for comparison. the scope is a new Leupold 3x9
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 03/08/24.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
[Linked Image]

Looks like the Rentzschke is go'in hunt'in.

Don't scratch it, I want it when you're done with it. cool

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about it last season, but I love hunting with my EG 308. Maybe next season. It or the 99DE

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Again, I got no dog in this hunt:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1040422599

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I needed one of these so I made one, then learned (the same day) they could be bought for about $40, so I bought one. Since then, I have seen them priced from $38 to almost $100 for the exact same item. Go figure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That on a classic 99 would look like a wart on a hairy mangy dog's ass.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 99guy

That on a classic 99 would look like a wart on a hairy mangy dog's ass.

Would look great though if the rifle was ceracoated and planted into a camo-painted stock, with a Harris bipod. And a flashlight taped to the barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (21, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,364
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.