Home
Posted By: crowmagnum lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
Collectors spend time, effort, and money to amass a bunch of a
collectable (guns in our case). Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place. Then the
guns become avaialable to become part of some other collection.

Enjoy em while you've got em I guess.
Posted By: Loggah Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
Al, grin Thats pretty much the way i see it, i'm just keeping them nice for someone else later!! i ive still got my first model twelve winchester ,i got when i was 15 ,40 years ago got it off a neighbor whos grandfather bought it new in 1919. Don
Posted By: Skidrow Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
One of the problems of not having any progeny is trying to figure out where your stuff should go before you go. Its not something I take lightly enough to let someone else decide.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
Originally Posted by Loggah
Al, grin Thats pretty much the way i see it, i'm just keeping them nice for someone else later!! i ive still got my first model twelve winchester ,i got when i was 15 ,40 years ago got it off a neighbor whos grandfather bought it new in 1919. Don

Ya Must Be Gettin Younger Don! grin grin
Posted By: 1899sav Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
Originally Posted by Skidrow
One of the problems of not having any progeny is trying to figure out where your stuff should go before you go. Its not something I take lightly enough to let someone else decide.

It's already Divided Up Between the 3 I got,,,,
The Rest Will Go In to the Vault!!!!! grin grin grin
Gotta have Somethin to Do while I'am Laying around!!!! laugh
Well ill be the 1st, to do this for any of you over 50, send them to me to care for! they will get a good home, snake oiled, and taken out into the sunshine now and then, some will be used to hunt with!!!! John grin and I will not even charge you! grin
You're all right!!
Posted By: mad_dog Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/04/08
We're only caretakers.
Posted By: kennyd Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
My collection of everything from ML to Saturday Nights is inventoried and commented on as to utility and value. They and the loading stuff is for my wife's needs if something untoward happens. I have already noted the consignment shop nearby who will handle all the showing, and they are honest about it all, I have bought 4 or 5 guns there from consigners.

There are a couple guns I have I would sure to like to talk to. All I know is one (a '23 Remington 30) has been cut shortened for a (boy?), and then has spacers added, professionally. The other is a 99 from '52, almost cut up by the widow until she thought better of it. In my imagination these were someone elses treasures through lots of good hunts. The two things I would like is: to know where and how it was used, and then have the previous owner know that someone else treasures them, too.
Posted By: djs Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Neither of my daughters has any interest in guns. Hopefully, I can get my (20 month old now) grandson interested so I can leave them to him.
Posted By: daveo Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
My only son will be 31 this coming sunday. I have gone on and on and on about the spiritual worth of my 99's and how he is supposed to somehow send them with me when I go...If he cannot find a way , he should treat them as if I am watching. My real concern is what will happen to them when HE is gone! There will probably not be an AMERICA to worry about by then....What do you think? I just realized I have spent more time than a sane person should thinking about this!(P.s. I reload for and shoot every 99 I have, which is every caliber made in 99.)
Posted By: RAS Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Collectors spend time, effort, and money to amass a bunch of a
collectable (guns in our case). Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place. Then the
guns become avaialable to become part of some other collection.

Enjoy em while you've got em I guess.

If you take them out and use them instead of just looking at them, I bet you will be "with" them a lot longer.. But you will have to live w/ that scratch or two..
Posted By: savage24 Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place.

A local auctioneer here has gun auctions fairly often and sells a lot of collections (or 'accumulations')and consignments. I often wonder what his record is, IE: how many times he has sold a particular gun.
Posted By: boltman Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
The cross section of people who accumulate guns often amazes me. There are some who can't imagine owning a gun unless it gets hunted and others who have a collection of safe queens that rarely see the light of day. The most interesting example I know is a guy I bought a Marlin from a while back. We got on the subject of another Marlin he had and he happened to mention he hadn't seen the gun in about 20 years. He explained that he had several safes that were placed one in front of the other. To get at a gun in one safe, you had to completely unload the safe in front of it, move it, and then you could open the safe behind. When I expressed my surprise - that he couldn't get at many of his guns without a huge hassle, he expressed surprise why I would see it that way. His comment was, "I know what I have in each safe and know what each gun looks like, so why would I need to get at them?" But, my question, is why own them then? Does this collector's attitude make sense to others?
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Having too big a collection can be a liability.
I'm not arguing with you Jed, but I am wondering in what ways you are thinking?
Posted By: Dave@az Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
I Know!
Posted By: ldorado Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
I just finished dividing my guns into three safes and delivering a safe to each of my children in preparation for my two years in the jungle. Hoping they'll come together again at some point.
I call it an attractive nuisance.
Can't leave the house for extended periods,with a secure feeling.
Fire scares me.Theft scares me.
I've owned some of the nicest Savages ever made,and I couldn't display them around the house to look at.Had to keep them locked-up.WTH good are they,if I can't look at um,show um off.
Bottom line is...they is all just stuff. smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
not at all!! crazy you have to take care of them, oil them, and have other collectors over ,just to B.S. you have to be able to see them!! routine maintenance!! if i couldn't see them i wouldn't own them!!! crazy Don
I keep my colletion in (2) glass door gun cabinets in a 2nd flr. bedroom. This is my room where I keep my stuff. At least I can sit there and look at them and enjoy them. I know I should keep them in a safe but I can't enjoy them. I have a safe but is now used to store bamboo fly rods ( just to keep them out of the way) I do have my residence alarmed.
Rick and I saw a vault that was supposed to come in at 300K for construction...IIRC the cost was 1.3 mill at the time we saw it.
That's an expensive insurance policy!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Originally Posted by Loggah
not at all!! crazy you have to take care of them, oil them, and have other collectors over ,just to B.S. you have to be able to see them!! routine maintenance!! if i couldn't see them i wouldn't own them!!! crazy Don

I'LL Be Over Next Week to B.S.!!! smile
Ya Got Captains???? grin
Steve
Don certainly has the nicest display situation I've ever seen. I would love to see it in person - as I am sure, everyone here does. And those that have seen it seem to be very grateful for the opportunity. I'm grateful for all the pictures he posted. I agree with Jed points. It is much harder for me to go on vacation because of my "worries." I don't enjoy paying that hefty insurance premium every year. I don't enjoy that I can't display what I have. In fact, getting at the stuff at the back of my deepest safe - is a real hassle and consequently I can go a couple years without seeing that stuff. I don't like the fact that anytime I want to get at something in a safe, there is always the worry of a dreaded "safe ding" mad crazy cry
Posted By: Loggah Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
We got a liquor store in town!!! grin Don
Posted By: Skidrow Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Ah yes....but do they stock Irish whiskey?
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
Tullamore Dew perhaps?? grin

Mike....
Posted By: Skidrow Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/05/08
That's good but I prefer Kilbeggan wink http://www.internetwines.com/mh205804.html

If one gets really desperate then there's always Jamison or Powers.

There's really nothing quite as enjoyable as sipping a wee dram whilst tenderly caring for ones favorite firearms. Just make sure that the ammo is in another damn room! grin
Posted By: Loggah Re: lifespan of a collection - 04/06/08
I imagine they do!! I dont do the whiskey thing ,its a hereditary thing,i get so ugly i would fight with my own shadow!!bad ju ju , vodka and rum dont bother me grin Don
© 24hourcampfire