C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Collectors spend time, effort, and money to amass a bunch of a
collectable (guns in our case). Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place. Then the
guns become avaialable to become part of some other collection.

Enjoy em while you've got em I guess.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Al, grin Thats pretty much the way i see it, i'm just keeping them nice for someone else later!! i ive still got my first model twelve winchester ,i got when i was 15 ,40 years ago got it off a neighbor whos grandfather bought it new in 1919. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the problems of not having any progeny is trying to figure out where your stuff should go before you go. Its not something I take lightly enough to let someone else decide.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
Al, grin Thats pretty much the way i see it, i'm just keeping them nice for someone else later!! i ive still got my first model twelve winchester ,i got when i was 15 ,40 years ago got it off a neighbor whos grandfather bought it new in 1919. Don

Ya Must Be Gettin Younger Don! grin grin

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
One of the problems of not having any progeny is trying to figure out where your stuff should go before you go. Its not something I take lightly enough to let someone else decide.

It's already Divided Up Between the 3 I got,,,,
The Rest Will Go In to the Vault!!!!! grin grin grin
Gotta have Somethin to Do while I'am Laying around!!!! laugh

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Well ill be the 1st, to do this for any of you over 50, send them to me to care for! they will get a good home, snake oiled, and taken out into the sunshine now and then, some will be used to hunt with!!!! John grin and I will not even charge you! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 04/04/08.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You're all right!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're only caretakers.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My collection of everything from ML to Saturday Nights is inventoried and commented on as to utility and value. They and the loading stuff is for my wife's needs if something untoward happens. I have already noted the consignment shop nearby who will handle all the showing, and they are honest about it all, I have bought 4 or 5 guns there from consigners.

There are a couple guns I have I would sure to like to talk to. All I know is one (a '23 Remington 30) has been cut shortened for a (boy?), and then has spacers added, professionally. The other is a 99 from '52, almost cut up by the widow until she thought better of it. In my imagination these were someone elses treasures through lots of good hunts. The two things I would like is: to know where and how it was used, and then have the previous owner know that someone else treasures them, too.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Neither of my daughters has any interest in guns. Hopefully, I can get my (20 month old now) grandson interested so I can leave them to him.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My only son will be 31 this coming sunday. I have gone on and on and on about the spiritual worth of my 99's and how he is supposed to somehow send them with me when I go...If he cannot find a way , he should treat them as if I am watching. My real concern is what will happen to them when HE is gone! There will probably not be an AMERICA to worry about by then....What do you think? I just realized I have spent more time than a sane person should thinking about this!(P.s. I reload for and shoot every 99 I have, which is every caliber made in 99.)

Last edited by daveo; 04/04/08.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Collectors spend time, effort, and money to amass a bunch of a
collectable (guns in our case). Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place. Then the
guns become avaialable to become part of some other collection.

Enjoy em while you've got em I guess.

If you take them out and use them instead of just looking at them, I bet you will be "with" them a lot longer.. But you will have to live w/ that scratch or two..

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Then we die and there's an
estate sale and the guns scatter all over the place.

A local auctioneer here has gun auctions fairly often and sells a lot of collections (or 'accumulations')and consignments. I often wonder what his record is, IE: how many times he has sold a particular gun.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The cross section of people who accumulate guns often amazes me. There are some who can't imagine owning a gun unless it gets hunted and others who have a collection of safe queens that rarely see the light of day. The most interesting example I know is a guy I bought a Marlin from a while back. We got on the subject of another Marlin he had and he happened to mention he hadn't seen the gun in about 20 years. He explained that he had several safes that were placed one in front of the other. To get at a gun in one safe, you had to completely unload the safe in front of it, move it, and then you could open the safe behind. When I expressed my surprise - that he couldn't get at many of his guns without a huge hassle, he expressed surprise why I would see it that way. His comment was, "I know what I have in each safe and know what each gun looks like, so why would I need to get at them?" But, my question, is why own them then? Does this collector's attitude make sense to others?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having too big a collection can be a liability.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not arguing with you Jed, but I am wondering in what ways you are thinking?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I Know!

DC Miller
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just finished dividing my guns into three safes and delivering a safe to each of my children in preparation for my two years in the jungle. Hoping they'll come together again at some point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I call it an attractive nuisance.
Can't leave the house for extended periods,with a secure feeling.
Fire scares me.Theft scares me.
I've owned some of the nicest Savages ever made,and I couldn't display them around the house to look at.Had to keep them locked-up.WTH good are they,if I can't look at um,show um off.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bottom line is...they is all just stuff. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.