Home
I think the production figure of 26,000 often quoted for the Stevens High Power lever gun is incorrect. I think the correct production figure is only about 5,000 total. I own serial number 4837, in .32 Rem, and in checking other sources I have found the following serial numbers:

40xx
4837 (mine)

If anyone has a Stevens High Power lever gun, please post your serial number. I would be very surprised if any number is higher than 5000.
Thanks,
Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/21/08
Peter, This is a kinda strange first post on the Savage forum! smile it seems after stevens was bought out by savage ,they decided to discontinue the model 425 . I have a few i will have to check the numbers, the info i had at one time suggested that around 10,000 was a closer number. Don
Don, Thanks for your quick reply. I had posted similar messages on the Levergun forum and one of the responses there suggested the Savage forum, so here I am! I also have read the 10,000 figure as well as the more often quoted 26,000 figure. I'm almost positive that the 26,000 figure is wrong, and I wonder about the 10,000 as well. Some information indicates the High Power production was included with the #15 Crackshot - hence the higher numbers. Perhaps if we get enough response we can solve the "mystery".
Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/21/08
Peter, Heres some numbers for you. s/n 2838 35 Rem, s/n 3056 30-30 Rem, s/n 3856 35 Rem, s/n 5201 30-30 Rem, kinda does away with the 5000 theory! smile the number 10,000 came from the Bill West history of stevens and savage. Don
Don, OK but I did say "about" 5000. Including your numbers, here are the numbers I've recorded for existing High Power rifles:

34xx
40xx

If 10,000 High Powers were produced that's fine, but I think it is interesting that of the nine serial numbers we currently know, only one is over the 5000 mark. I'm not a statistician, but if 10,000 were produced wouldn't an equal number of guns with serial numbers over 5000 be represented in our sample, instead of the 8 to one ratio we see here? smirk
Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Peter, I'm sure theres higher numbers out there,but you could be right about less than 10,000 made. Don
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Very diplomatic answer Don... grin grin grin

Keep the Peace...!!!

Mike...
Don & Mike, Thank you both for your time and effort. I really don't have an axe to grind on this. I'm just trying to get the correct production figure whatever it is.

I still would like to see more serial numbers from people who own this fine lever gun. I consider myself very lucky to have one, and I'm jealous of the 4 you have Don!
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Another number for you - 4290 30-30 Remington. I had to question the 26,000 but got better info from Loggah than I did from any book. The Blue Book lists the 26,000 production numbers and also gives design credit to John Redfield of the sight co. They got the family right but the gun was designed by John's brother Edward Redfield who also did the majority of the design for the Stevens Visable Loader.
While I was typing my reply you two add a lot! Looking at the statistics about only seeing one gun over 5000 you must also realize you have none under 2000. I saw a very low number one at an auction and it had the early carrier design and not the later one piece that my gun has.
I have never seen any of the high grade rifles, and was wondering if anyone else has?the models 430,435 and 440,high grade wood and engraving. Don
Posted By: JIMFORAL Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
I have #2514, a .25 Remington.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Wes has/had one in 30 Remington that he was going to sell to someone here. Anyone got that serial number. Been looking for one of these myself. They are a rare and interesting rifle. Ryan
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
For those out there (like me) who don't know what the heck they're talking about:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Ah, never mind. Just ain't worth it.
Bushwacker, I bought Wes 's rifle a little while back, its the second one on my list. Don
Some more pictures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GeneB, I always thought they were interesting with the square bolt, and locking up in the rear like a savage 1899!, kind of a combination Winchester,Marlin ,and Savage. Don
Thanks Calhoun and Gene for the photos and patent info. Here are the serial numbers so far:

34xx
40xx

It is interesting that no numbers, so far, are under 2000. In fact, none are under 2500. Perhaps the Stevens High Power serial numbers didn't start at number 1 (unless the early gun Gene saw at an auction was lower than 2000).

Peter
Posted By: hunterdan Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Thats one beautiful rifle.I GOTTA have one.
Peter, maybe they started at 2000 ,i dont know of anyone looking for a reliable hunting rifle that would buy serial number "1" even savage 1895 started at 3000. grin Don
Don, I've also never seen any of the "high grade" versions (430, 435, 440, 445). I can't believe that Stevens ever made but a very few. But who knows, one might pop up.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/22/08
Mister VintageAuto...

Please Keep posting this everywhere you can. I am sure that you will collect enough data, and inform us of your results please!!!

Thanks, Mike...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11864&p=143893
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/23/08
Finally found the info on the 425 I saw at the auction - serial 1842. The pictures are gone but the info still comes up at least for now Rock Island Auction

This is the one with the early carrier that looks like the one in this patent - looking at the patent again I now realize the piece I thought was part of the carrier is actually on the loading gate. 425 patent That piece just flips up with the carrier to keep the shell from falling out.

You will notice that this patent was granted before the other one but if you read the text it is just for a modification and not for the firearm. G. S. Lewis had a lot of patents for Stevens and seemed to do a lot of the final design refinements.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/23/08
Another 425 for your list.. it's at the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, was thinking I'd seen one before. Serial number 4343, in 25 Remington, and the plaque with it said it dates to 1912.

[Linked Image]
Don, Mike, GeneB, and Calhoun,
Thanks for all your input, and two more serial numbers. #1842 from the Rock Island auction takes care of the theory (actually a good one) that Stevens might have started the serial numbers at 2000. Of course, they could have started at 1000 or 1500.

The #4343 at the Buffalo Bill Museum, makes it 12 guns under 5000 and one over. I seem to remember reading somewhere that most of the Stevens High Power rifles were made between 1910 and 1912 - with the majority made in 1912. I'll try to find where I read that.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/23/08
Here is another with serial number "1977"

Mike...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year...Rem_Lever_action_serial_No_1977_produced
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/23/08
And another with serial number "5302"

Mike...

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...ower-lever-action-rifle-s-1-c-m8wue0vx3h
Thanks mike, Obviously Wiki.answers is just picking up their info from something like the Blue Book. That's always a problem when an author doesn't do any real research and just repeats dubious "facts" from someone else who didn't do the research. There is a very good chance that not only are they wrong about the production figure, but also who designed the High Power.

Thanks for finding two new serial numbers. One is the highest (5302) on our list, and one is another gun under 2000 (1977). We now have 15 known serial numbers with two over 5000 and 13 under 5000. I still think it is very interesting that there are so few known numbers over 5000.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/24/08
I know "WIKI" is not great with answers, I just posted it so you would have the serial numbers!!!

Mike...
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/24/08
Okay, Mike's challenging my google prowess.

Here's reference to one with serial number 1737:

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/stevens-high-power-rifle-model-425,-serial-number-1-c-aw45rksulu

Reference to SN 4011 on this page:

http://oldguns.net/q&a11_04.htm
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/24/08
Well you guys are pretty good at digging back into the archives, smile i know of one that got blown up with a hot handload maybe i can get the serial number, and "NO" i didn't do it!!! Don
Thanks for the serial numbers, guys. Your help is greatly appreciated! Keep them coming, please.

#4011 was already on my list, but again the answer blurb on that web site was probably taken directly from The Blue Book. So whatever errors are included there are repeated as gospel. And the web multiplies it over and over again.

Here's the list as it stands now:

34xx
40xx

That's 16 guns with 14 numbered under 5000 and two over. If Stevens produced 10,000 High Power rifles then I would think any sample such as this would have a bunch of serial numbers closer to the 10,000 mark. And if Stevens started numbering these guns at say #1000, we still have not accounted for even 5,000 guns -- never mind 26,000!

Peter

Peter, You keep on digging and you'll find these guns "so rare" that i wont be able to afford the rifles i already own!!! grin in one of my gunbooks theres a an old print cut of a high grade stevens high power, i'll try to find it and post it ive seen it within the last month. Don
I just went out and checked Bill Wests savage and stevens book again and he said the Stevens High-power started a new series and started with serial number "1" . Don
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/25/08
Here is a picture showing the 425 designer Edward E. Redfield and his family. The picture dates between July 1907 when his mother died and 1909 when his father died. Brother John H. moved to Denver and started the Western Sight Company in 1909, about 1920 the name was changed to Redfield Sight Company. I would really like to find a Western tang sight for the 425 but I haven't ever seen any Western sights. The father was a farmer and a gunsmith and one of the brothers was also a gunsmith.

[Linked Image]

The only two designs of Edward E. Redfield that I know went into production were the Stevens 425 High Power and the Stevens Visable loader. He held patents for several other designs that never went into full production and may never have been made. I have a copy of an old newspaper article referring to an actual fire arm in his possession being demonstrated that from the description seems to be from this patent LEVER ACTION

I have another of his designs from this patent PUMP 22. This gun has no stamping anywhere on it, not even a caliber on the barrel or even a single number on any part. The butt plate is the same as used on the Stevens Gallery 90 and says Stevens which is the only marking on the gun. This gun uses several other Gallery 80 parts and the patent dated from 1910 which is toward the end of Gallery 80 production. It's interesting to see who designed the Stevens Gallery 80 GALLERY 80
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: wisconsin99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/25/08
My Dad has a 425 in .35 Remington. Serial # 1050...I tried to attach a couple of photos as the barrel is quite a bit shorter on his than the other pictures posted (17.5") [img][IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/kwoster/stevens_1411.jpg[/img][/img] . I don't know a lot about this gun, but would like to find a place for replacement parts. The "1/2 cock" position does not work (if it has one). In the little bit we have taken it apart, it appears as though the bolt is well worn and paper thin in a few spots.

[img][IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/kwoster/stevens_1410.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/kwoster/stevens_1413.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg282/kwoster/stevens_1414.jpg[/img][/img]
Don, thanks for your continued interest.

I just was looking through the Marlin Firearms book by Brophy and on page 658 I was surprised the see a photo of a Stevens 425 and a description of that firearm. In that description, Brophy says that the Stevens 425 was introduced in 1911 and he further writes..."In direct competition with the Marlin lever action rifle, the Stevens Model 425 lever action rifle did not fare well in the marketplace...As a result, the rifle was short-lived. Only about 1,000 were manufactured up to 1917."

So we have the Blue Book and some other sources claiming 26,000, and Bill West's book claiming 10,000. Then there are several articles that claim a production of about 5000. Now, here's Brophy saying that "only about 1,000 were manufactured..."

If the 425 was numbered with the more numerous Stevens Crackshot rifles then there is a possiblity that the High Power serial numbers are not consecutive and if most of the 425 production occured (as I read somewhere) in 1911 and 1912, then perhaps that explains why we have so few 425 serial numbers on our list, and that they are all 4-digit numbers.

I will continue to search for High Power serial numbers.

Peter
GeneB, thanks for your input and the photo of the Redfield family - A handsome bunch, especially that guy in the middle! The little pump gun is beautiful; is it yours? Do you collect Stevens guns?

Wisconsin99, thanks for your serial number. I will add it to our list. So far, this is the earliest serial number 425 known. Also, thanks for your photos. Is it possible that your barrel was shortened?

Peter
Posted By: wisconsin99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/27/08
Vintage-
After seeing Calhoun's photos and looking in several publications, it appears the rifle was only offered in 22" bbl. If this one was shortened, someone took their time at filing a new dovetail in for the front sight. This gun has been in the family for over 40 years, so it would have happened relatively early in it' life.

If anyone has one that they can lay hands on...is the bbl. crowned? Mine is not crowned, but looks factory...almost like they offered a carbine model.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/27/08
wisconsin99, None of my rifle barrels are crowned all are flat! chances are your rifle was shortened years ago! i also saw the excerpt in the marlin book by Brophy, but figured the number was way to low. Don
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/27/08
What is under the front sight?
Router marks or file marks?
Jed, ive never looked under mine, they are all the original 22" barrel length. Don
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/27/08
Eh, I was asking about the carbine length bbl.
It's the easiest way to tell.Router marks = original
File marks = handcut slot/cut bbl.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/27/08
This has been a very interesting thread. You couldn't find better in a magazine artical.

Were all of the markings upside down on the right side of the barrel? Are the markings alway located at the rear sight?

The rear sight looks very similar to the later Savage 99 sight. Anyone have a better photo of one? Does it have an adjustable blade in the rear?
Rick, All my rifles are marked like that! near the rear sight, its like they started with the first line and kept rolling the barrel,but leaving a wider space where the rear sight dovetail is. I checked my rear sights,2 rifles have the Lyman 6B rear sight,one has a marbles 95 folding rear ,both these sights are listed as optional for the Stevens high-power rifle. The 4th rifle has the stevens 112 rear sight,it does have an adjustable blade and does look somewhat like the early savage sight, i'll try to get cheryl to post a picture later. Don
Rick,went down and pulled the front sight out. It does appear to be a new dovetail filed into the bbl. Front sight on this gun is a Marbles #3 and the rear sight is an unmarked adjustable blade. Is this rifle supposed to have a "1/2 cock" safety position on the hammer?-Karl

wisconsin99, Theres just 2 hammer positions one is just off the firing pin, and the other is full cock. other than all the way down on the pin. Don
Don,
I guess that is what I was wondering...Mine is either full cock or all the way down on the pin. There is no "safe" hammer position.Karl
Karl,There should be one just off the firing pin,maybe the notch in the hammer is full of crud! Don
Thanks for the help...I'll check it out. Dad says that this gun was great-grandpa's and he bought a new Remington 740 when this one jammed up while trying to shoot a buck. Dad has had it for 40+years and I don't believe it has been shot in that time. I kind of forgot about it until I saw this post started...Karl
I hope we can find some more Stevens 425 High Powers and their serial numbers out there. We only have 17 guns on our list.

Peter
Here's the pic my wife took.

[Linked Image]

Don
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/28/08
Don, that is a Winchester 22J.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/28/08
Rick, How did you figure that out?????? it don't have a winchester elevator? looks like what they call a stevens 112, could they be one and the same? Don
I have one not very good photo of the 425 at Cody. It looks to have the Winchester 22H. Since Stevens only made a small quntity of this model it is possible that they bought sights vs making them. I think the Stevens 112 was only used on the 425's.

Don, I'm using the Winchester sight book that Madis put out a few years back and sights I have on hand for reference. The edges of the sight being beveled in front of the elevator and on the sides of the dovetail area is common to all of the Winchester sights of this style.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/28/08
Here's another example of Stevens barrel stamping (and another of E. E. Redfields designs). I think this is the standard for Stevens, Favorites are stamped the same.
[Linked Image]

Here are the sights on my gun, the are the same as the the sights on one a friend of mine has (sorry don't have the serial number at this time - his is a .35 and is in better condition than mine). Also a couple of 30-30 REM headstamped cartridges.

[Linked Image]
Gene, interesting front sight!! I was checking in the blue book about serial numbers this morning, and under the Stevens information it says the model 15 and 425 are in the same group with 11,500 manufactured!!! But you go to look up the 425 in their price guide and they list 26,000 manufactured, things don't add up! i'm thinking they used the winchester rear sight also, the one on your rifle looks like mine ,except more of a "Buckhorn". Don
Gene's rear sight is the same as on the Cody rifle.

Interesting front sight. I don't remember seeing one like that before.

West's book, 1912 catalog ad, page 7-62, states "Tapped for tang and telescope sights." Are there scope block holes and where?

"serialed with the #15..." Are you refering to the #15 Maynard Jr.? It ended production about when the 425 started. Also lists 30,000 produced ?(#15's). I can't see the 425 being numbered with anything eles since Stevens didn't produce anything else like it.
OK, how do you post photos on this forum?

My 425 High Power (#4837) has the same front & rear sights as posted by GeneB and they appear to be original to this gun.

My barrel is original and has not been shortened. While it is not crowned, the outer circumference at the end of the barrel has an about 45% chamfer, and the inside circumference at the beginning of the bore, at the muzzle, has a slight chamfer also. I would think that a cut barrel might not have these finishing touches.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/28/08
If you have trouble posting the pictures, just email them to me and I will post them for you!!!

[email protected]

Thanks, Mike...
Email sent shocked
Rick, the receiver is tapped with 2 holes about 1" spacing in the top middle , but there are no extra holes tapped in the barrel also the tang is tapped for a tang sight. The west book on page 7-11 talks about the favorite with" model 1915" on the upper tang , page 2129 of the 29th edition of the blue book says 15+425, 1912-1917 11,500 produced, on page 5-20 of Wests book it shows a drawing of a sporting rear sight and it looks like the sides are beveled,they probably took it out of a winchester catalog. on page 5-21 the front sight looks like Gene B's. Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
Gene, interesting front sight!! I was checking in the blue book about serial numbers this morning, and under the Stevens information it says the model 15 and 425 are in the same group with 11,500 manufactured!!! But you go to look up the 425 in their price guide and they list 26,000 manufactured, things don't add up! Don

This was my point about serial numbers for the Stevens 425 originally when I started this topic!

In a 1972 article in Guns Illustrated, author Larry S. Sterett quoted a letter from Savage Arms: "This gun (425) was manufactured from approximately 1911-1917. Our production records show an AGGREGATE total of 11,000 model 15 and model 425 series rifles produced from 1912 through 1917. Records before 1912 are non existent. We are unable to separate the model 15 from the model 425 series in the total of 11,000."

Sterett continues: "By the process of elimination this must be the Crack Shot No. 15 introduced in 1900...The Maynard Junior No. 15 was a cheap rimfire single shot...The center fire Crack Shot No. 15 and the center fire 425 series might have been lumped together [in the production records].

I think all the info we have so far totally debunks the 26,000 number quoted by the Blue Book and other sources. I also think that the accuracy of the 10,000-11,000 number quoted by Bill West in his book is in serious doubt. If the Crack Shot serial numbers are included among the 425 series numbers (and the 425 numbers are not consecutive by themselves), then perhaps Brophy may not be wrong when he stated "only about 1,000 were manufactured".

Peter
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/29/08
I do not think Stevens would have used Winchester sights. They had a number of their own available, the one on my gun is the No. 112 according to pictures in the 'Old Gunsights' book and the catalog pages referred to are from 1910 which would have been at the start of 425 production. This sight was also used on other rifles such as the Ideal. The front sight I cannot find pictured but appears to be the same as on the Cody Museum example and I am quite sure is the same as on my friends 425.

I got my 425 from a long time dealer and Stevens collector who was selling four he had acquired over the years - the other three he had were not in very good condition. When I got mine he said, "It has the best condition metal of the seven or eight I have ever seen" which indicates the rarity of them. He's been a dealer for many years and also runs a series of small gunshows. Mine has good metal but has some issues with the wood, which is still the original.

Of the ones I have seen I think at least three-fourths have repairs to the stock at the wrist (including mine). My dealer friend even had some replacement stocks made up for them years ago - the last I knew he still had them if any one needs one.

Headspace seems to be another problem they can develop (two of the four being sold when I got mine had problems). They lock-up similar to a 99 on the rear of the breechblock but unlike the 99 that has the front of the lever slide between the frame and the breechblock to securely hold it locked the 425 just pushes it up and has nothing solid holding it there. There also is a small spring on top of the breech-block that puts downward pressure on it that would cause the rear of the block to drop slightly with wear on any of the parts. I have never taken mine apart but looking at the patent drawings it appears the top rear of the block is angled and I assume there has to be a slight angle to the locking surfaces (like on a 99) to allow the rear of the block to swing down. This would mean that any lowering of the rear would increase headspace. Also there may not be as large of locking surface on the rear of the block as it would first appear because of the angled area.

It is one of my favorites and also is among those I looked the longest for. I have not shot mine yet but have ammo and plan to.
Posted By: johno Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/29/08
Ok I was bored today and thought i'd have a look at this thread. Well you got me in Peter. Ive posted your question on boards in Australia & N.Z. so hopefully this will fill in more gaps for you.

I am not confident mate as ive never come across one, Graham (kiwi) may have and he has a good friend who is big collector of marlins so maybe she has tripped over one.

Its been an interesting read

Johno
Posted By: kiwi Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/29/08
Hi Johno
There is one I know of here. Details are
S/n 1805
Cal 30-30 Rem
Model 425
Still hoping they will sell it one day (to me!)
Barrel Length I will have to check on, end is flat not crowned
Hi Johno & Kiwi,

Thanks for your interest and input. I've added #1805 to the list and also another known number (#4073), so now we are at 19 known Stevens High Power rifles:

Five numbers between 1000 & 2000.

Three between 2000 & 3000.

Three between 3000 & 4000.
34xx

Six between 4000 & 5000.
40xx

Two above 5000.

I still believe the Stevens High Power rifle was produced in MUCH lower numbers than claimed by various sources.

Peter
Dang! That's a fine looking rifle! What kinda $$ they going for?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/08
Elkhunter3006,How much you want to spend????? grin grin they dont appear every day as you can tell from this thread, and by the time this thread is done they will be worth a lot more!!!! Don
here's one for sale

http://www.gunsamerica.com/95984142...tevens-Rifles/Stevens_425_High_Power.htm
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/08
http://www.merzantique.com/index.html Leroy Mertz has a ratty one for $575.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/08
That one is way over priced...!!! (Guns America)

JMO

Mike...
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/08
Elkhunter3006 ,I would say thats a real reasonable price!! i don't have a gunsamerica account so i couldn't enlarge the pictures to check it out closeup. Don
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/08
Don, the wood has been re-finished...!!!

[Linked Image]

Mike...
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
its also has a stock repair...
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
I could live with the repair, but a "GRAND" for a re-finish, I would pass...!!!

Again, JMO...

Mike...
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
Mike,Well if ther ends up as only 1000 manufactured ,you might think about it!! compared to 1,000,000 savages in the "collectable arena. Don
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
supply might be low but where is demand? Price is a combination of both...neat gun...now that I have seen this I would keep my eye out for one at a gun show but not looking and would have to be priced a bit better than that one to get my attention...just my $.02

Neat thread, and interesting rifle...
lovemy99,The demand wasn't that high on savages 20 years ago. smile Don
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
How dare you dub them thangs 'Savages' wink
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
Look at the listing number of the one on GunsAmerica - It's been listed for a few months I have been watching to see if it sells.

Here's a picture of one that was listed on GunBroker 12/29/2003 - the picture isn't very good but it does show checkering that was supposed to be original, price was $1000 with $1,120 buy it now - don't know if it sold and there was no serial listed. This would be the 430.
[Linked Image]

Here are some more pictures that show the end of the breech block, it is milled to clear the hammer when fully opened but has a lot of locking area on the right side. Also a picture of the repair on my stock which shows the open area needed for clearance. Also a picture of the butt plate which is the only type I have seen on a High Power and have never seen a similar one on any other Stevens.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/08
Some more info:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gene, Is that information from the 1912 stevens catalog? thats the most i've seen in print. I believe the checkered rifle is a 430 since the 435-440 both have engraving, real nice find on the paperwork.good information on the scope mounts ,using the rear sight dovetail and the 2 tapped holes in the receiver. Don
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/01/09
That is some neat info on the scope and mount that's not in Stroebel's Old Rifle Scope Book. I've always wondered what the top of the High Power reciever was tapped for. I think it's the same as on Marlins for the Hepburn sight.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/01/09
Dave, the tapping on the marlins for the Hepburn sight is more to the rear,while the stevens is about centered ,it might be the same spacing! Don
I've got a nice .32. If I could only find someone that had 2 .35's and didn't have a .32 grin
Dave Bring it over ,i'll look at it! smile . Don
Peter, I just talked to a friend in Maine. He's got a .35 ser# 4209. His Brother In Law has a .30. He'll get back to me with the ser#, Dave
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/01/09
Don, Yes the info is from the 1912 catalog #53 - actually a reprint of it. I have not found many original Stevens�s catalogs for sale and the early ones seem to always bring good prices. That catalog has 5 models of single shot rimfires (including the Crackshot), 2 single shot models available in rimfire or centerfire (and there are several variations of each) and 1 rimfire repeater as well as the 425.

I therefore find it hard to believe that the 425 would have been serial numbered along with the Crackshot when they had so many models in production. Also if combined with the Crackshot I would think the high serial numbers found would be way over 5000 in a six to seven year production run. Another reason I think it is unlikely is that I have a Crackshot and it is serial number Q649 which is the way Stevens serial numbered their 22's at that time, a letter followed by 3 digits. This was done on the Visible loaders for so long that they must have started over as I have very late ones (SVG stamped) with low serial numbers.

As for the 32's they seem to be the rarest of the rare. I have been gathering information on the High Powers for several years and still do not have a lot that I am sure is correct!!! I think I have seen at the most 6 or 7 in person and about that many more on line. Just roughly comparing the number I have seen with numbers of other guns of known production I had estimated (very very roughly) 5000 to 10000. I have looked for model 16 Remington�s (17,720 apx. made) for about the same time and have seen about 3 times as many as 425's (did not keep accurate records). This gun is from the same production period so I thought it would be a reasonable comparison.

Another issue with these that has not been discussed much is choice of only Remington chamberings. This may have been one reason for the lack of popularity. Also if there ever was a real safety issue with using pointed bullets in a tube magazine centerfire that would also have been an issue. Remington had a special patented spiraled magazine for their tube repeaters in these calibers to keep the bullet point from contacting the primer of the next cartridge - Patent . Only the 35 seemed to be loaded almost exclusively with round nosed bullets. If there was a possibility of one cartridge setting of the next I wonder if that was the end of some of these rifles. Gene
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/01/09
I just emailed a gentleman who says that he is a collector of Stevens 425 rifles. I invited him to the forum to take a look at this thread and see if he can shed any light on the rifle numbers, or any info for that matter. (Who knows, he might be a member already, in disguise... confused)

Let's hope he accepts...

Mike...
Peter, Heres a couple more for the list, s/n 2592 30-30 rem, s/n 2914 35 rem, there just a little way from here. Don
Originally Posted by lozen
I've got a nice .32. If I could only find someone that had 2 .35's and didn't have a .32 grin

"lozen",

Have you posted the serial number for this Stevens High Power in this forum? We are still trying to get as many serial numbers that we can.

Peter

GeneB,

I think all of the Remington cartridges that the Stevens High Power chambered (.25 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem, and .35 Rem) had round nose bullets.

Peter
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/03/09
Originally Posted by vintageautomobilia

"lozen",

Have you posted the serial number for this Stevens High Power in this forum? We are still trying to get as many serial numbers that we can.
Peter

Yea, It was one of the first ones over at Leverguns. #2628. Are you keeping track of the calibers? I hope so. Dave
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/03/09
GeneB,

I think all of the Remington cartridges that the Stevens High Power chambered (.25 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem, and .35 Rem) had round nose bullets.

Peter
I'd never given that much thought. I always presumed they were available loaded with spitzers, as I figured that was what the spiral magazine tube on Model 14's was all about.
So far there are 22 Stevens High Power rifles on the list. There are five in .35 Rem, seven in .30 Rem, three in .32 Rem, two in .25 Rem, and five are unknown calibers.

If anyone can supply the calibers of the following rifles on the list it will be greatly appreciated:
40xx (also the complete number)

Thanks!

Peter

Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/06/09
I e-mailed a question to the Historian and here is the reply:

Hi Rick, The Stevens Model 425 is a very nice rifle. I think the last one that I saw was at a show and Doug Murray was trying to sell it. Anyway, there are no J. Stevens serial records existing for any model and have not been since way before WW II. There are no production records either. I have a remnant of some Stevens comparison production records , but not this early and as far as I know these are the only ones that exist. The rifle was designed by Edward Redfield of Glendale, Oregon and his patent from 1910 was assigned to Stevens. The 11K number produced may have come from a summary sheet somewhere, but any that I have sent info on never had a S/N over 6 or7 thousand as I recall. The 1911 to 1917 dates are pretty accurate. There were 4 versions of this gun, The basic Model 425, the Model 430, same basics as the 425 except checkered stock, The Model 435 with checkered stock , fancy wood an! d engraved chain borders around the receiver, some scroll on the top of the receiver and lever, and the Model 440 which had fancier checkering, extra fancy wood and some beautiful scroll and animal scenes on the receiver, matted receiver . I have never seen or had inquiry on a 435 or 440. The engraving as illustrated would have rivaled or exceeded anything that Tue did and would stand up to a lot of todays engravers.

What model 15 is your poster referring to? John C.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/08/09
Okay, here's a link that will work. Be prepared, it's 5MB in size.

Guns Illustrated Stevens 425 article
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/08/09
Thanks Rory...

Works perfect. Now you have to tell me how to do it...!!!

Thanks, Mike...
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/08/09
Good article Mike, i think i have one of those guns illistrated in my library,now i got to find it!! Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/08/09
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
Thanks Rory...

Works perfect. Now you have to tell me how to do it...!!!

Thanks, Mike...

Well, rather than use photobucket for pictures, I have an account where I have access to a full web server. So rather than just loading up pics for download, I can put any document up there and give access to it via the URL. I've been doing this computer monkey business for 20 years though, so unless you want to become a web programmer it's probably not worth it to ya. Actually, you could probably rent your own domain for $40-$50 a year or so and get access to something similar to what I do. Let me know if you're really interested in that, and I can maybe point you to one or two easy ones.
I think that I much prefer to just let you do it...!!! grin grin grin

Thanks so much again Rory...

Mike...
Peter,

A Little google work shows that Larry S. Sterett is still a contributing editor at Gun Week magazine. Might be worth a call
to see it he has a SN list.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/08/09
Cheers for that. a great read
worth waiting to to get the working link, well done
Graham
Mike and Rory,

Thanks for all your efforts. It was worth it! It is a good article and I wanted everyone to be able to read it.

The man who sent it to me is the guy who has the 425 High Power for sale at GunsAmerica. This is what started me on this numbers "quest". I had never even seen a 425 High Power until a friend of mine walked into my shop with one and asked if I wanted to trade something for it. That's my gun now, number 4837 in .32 Rem. It's in wonderful condition with no wood repairs, excellent bore and very good original finish.

In the article by Sterett, he mentions that he thinks the Stevens #15 rifle that the 425 was numbered with must be the centerfire Crack Shot No. 15, but checking my books I don't see a centerfire Crack Shot #15 listed. I wonder if they meant the Model 45 (the deluxe version of the 44 and 44 1/2) which are centerfire rifles in larger calibers. Or is there a centerfire Crack Shot #15 and I've just missed it?

Peter
Well I just got a response from the gentleman that collects 425's and gave him a link to this thread. Hopefully he can enlighten us on some interesting information...!!!

Mike...
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/09/09
I just rechecked the 1912 catalog that I got the 425 info from. It has a CRACKSHOT listed but it is number 16. I believe that Stevens made a couple of designs that they called the CRACKSHOT. The one made in 1912 was only available in 22 S,L&LR or 32 shot. The number 15 is the MAYNARD JR. and they do not have serial numbers anywhere that I can find. The article says production figures were combimed but it does not say they were serial numbered together. I think from the serial numbers found and the production estimates it's more likely the 425's were not serial numbered with another gun. Gene
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/09/09
In Bill Wests book, Savage and Stevens Arms and history , on page 7-11 bottom of the page they list , 1915, no. 17-20 & 27-29 "favorite", 1915- 1917. This rifle was made from 1915 thru 1917 and on the rifle frame is stamped"model 1915" im thinking this was the rifle that was included in the model 425 series as far as production numbers. MAYBE!! smile Don
This is an interesting discussion. I saved the article to my other archived info for future reference. If I found one of these rifles it would be good to have history etc. Looking over the article it seems like the author thought it was a good design. Why do some guns fail to grab the attention of the buyer while other lesser designs thrive? Stevens was likely a big name in guns at the time these were built. They should have had a fairly loyal customer base with all the Favorites/44's/44 1/2's and others that were sold and liked as first rifles. Lack of promotion?

Chief
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/09/09
I've passed up several of these rifles over the years. In retrospect, I wish hadn't - at least the better ones that is. I just never found the right deal - a frequent character flaw of a collector wink
I failed to list the calibers of two of the rifles on the list - here they are:

1977 -- .35 Rem
5302 -- .30 Rem

Peter
Originally Posted by GeneB
... The number 15 is the MAYNARD JR. and they do not have serial numbers anywhere that I can find. The article says production figures were combimed but it does not say they were serial numbered together. I think from the serial numbers found and the production estimates it's more likely the 425's were not serial numbered with another gun. Gene

Gene,
I agree, I don't think the No. 15 mentioned in connection with the 425 High Power is the #15 Maynard Jr. either.

You may be right about the production figures, but I'm curious which production figure do you favor: 26,000 - 11,000 - 5000 - or 1,000?

Also, if the 425 series High Power rifle had its own exclusive serial numbers then wouldn't it have been a fairly easy task for Savage to separate them from another gun?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't have any axe to grind, I'm just trying to solve the mystery, and I really appreciate your great input.

Peter

Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/10/09
As JC stated..."there are no J. Stevens serial records existing for any model and have not been since way before WW II. There are no production records either. I have a remnant of some Stevens comparison production records , but not this early and as far as I know these are the only ones that exist."

I think GeneB is correct that the production number of 11,000 for the two models might just be a combined number and not two models with one serial range. I don't see another rifle in production that had any similarity to the 425. The models that I know of that share a serial range also share parts. What Model 15 shared parts???

Based on the serial range of 425's that you have collected I think the serial range runs from 1000 to 6000, give or take. No sharing of serial range.

JMO smile
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/10/09
Peter, A friend in Vermont has Ser# 5594. .32
Thanks "lozen", your friend's gun #5594 is now the highest serial number on the list.

Rick, you may be right about the 425 serial range running from 1000 to 6000. In my very first post when I started this topic, I said that I thought the total number produced was about 5000.

According to one post, West's book states that the 425 numbering started at "1". Also, in Sterett's article he quotes a letter from Savage stating that their records show an aggregate total of 11,500 number 15 and 425 rifles produced, but they can not separate them. This info is also in West's book and the Blue Book. So obviously some production records did still exist.

I think the only way to solve this puzzle is to continue to collect the actual serial numbers (and calibers, please) of known 425 series High Power rifles. I know we won't be able to get them all, but if we get enough numbers and could figure out a typical survival rate for a similar low production gun, perhaps we could make an educated estimate.

Peter

Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/09
More is better with data. Keep looking. Your doing good. smile
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/09

You may be right about the production figures, but I'm curious which production figure do you favor: 26,000 - 11,000 - 5000 - or 1,000?

Also, if the 425 series High Power rifle had its own exclusive serial numbers then wouldn't it have been a fairly easy task for Savage to separate them from another gun?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't have any axe to grind, I'm just trying to solve the mystery, and I really appreciate your great input.

Peter

As for the production figure I favor: When buying 26,000 - When selling 1,000 (or less) whistle grin. Really though Don and I had discussed this a while back and had come up with 8,000 or 9,000 maximum so 5,000 looks reasonable looking at the serial numbers now documented.

And you have a good point about the serial numbers and bring able to get a separate production number - but looking at it that way then with combined serial numbers they should have been able to get a better combined production figure than an approximate 11,000.

An old saying - "The more you learn the less you know". With the lack of records we will only have opinions and the more data that is gathered the better the opinions will be.

Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/09
Was just talking to a buddy of mine thats a gun smith, I buy alot of parts off him. Anyways, he told me he's got four of them in there right now for cleaning and repairs. I'll have the serial numbers sometime this week.
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/12/09
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Was just talking to a buddy of mine thats a gun smith, I buy alot of parts off him. Anyways, he told me he's got four of them in there right now for cleaning and repairs. I'll have the serial numbers sometime this week.
Mad Dog, I'd like to hear what your gunsmith thinks of the action after he's done. Over the years I've read it was complicated and not dependable. It doesn't look terribly complicated to me. We've got a great old time gunsmith here. I'll see what he thinks when I see him. Dave
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/12/09
Dave, I know Ed Lander has worked on them. Don
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/09
I Have 2973 in .25 Remington.
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/09
The complicated part comes from putting the gun back together. The Hammer and lifter are on the same screw and the hammer is under the stress of a coiled main spring on a plunger that goes from a stud screw on the lower tang to the base the the hammer. In order to put it all together you need to compress the coil spring and put it in place. A long time ago (1960s) my gunsmith solved the problem by drilling a small hole in the plunger shaft inserting a probe and winding the spring up against the probe. He could then put the assembly in place and pull out the probe. Another problem area is the two part firing pin. The mating surface between the pin in the frame and the rear of the pin in the bolt get worn down to where they do not transfer enough energy to fire the primer.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/09
Mad Dog, I'd like to hear what your gunsmith thinks of the action after he's done. Dave

Will do, he told me the one guy bought the gun in 30-30 Rem thinking it was a 30-30 Win so I might be able to buy it for the price of a used model 94.
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/09
Mad Dog, Hope you get it. I missed out on a nice 30-30 Rem a while back. The guy was selling it at a show as a 30-30 Win. I tried to convince him it was a 30 Rem, and thought I could to talk him down. He sold it, and I found out later he knew what it was all along. Leroy Mertz has one now "caliber 30-30" A little deceptive I think.
The people who call the .30 Rem a 30-30 anything (Rem or Win) are just confusing the issue. To be correct, it's .30 Rem and 30-30 Winchester (not to beat a dead horse).

Mad Dog, please don't forget to get those serial numbers from the guns your gunsmith friend has in his shop (and the calibers too, please).

Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/09
Peter, The early cartridges were marked 30-30 Remington, i have one from the U.S. Cartridge company headstamped 30-30 Rem. I agree this only confused people and didn't help sales. Don
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/09
The early model 8 Remington Autoloading rifles were also marked .25-35 Remington as was the UMC Ammo. After the first yr the markings were changed to 30 Rem and 25 Rem. I guess there were enough hunters trying to stuff the wrong ammo in their guns to cause the change.
Peter, The early cartridges were marked 30-30 Remington, i have one from the U.S. Cartridge company headstamped 30-30 Rem. I agree this only confused people and didn't help sales. Don

Originally Posted by Tbury
The early model 8 Remington Autoloading rifles were also marked .25-35 Remington as was the UMC Ammo. After the first yr the markings were changed to 30 Rem and 25 Rem. I guess there were enough hunters trying to stuff the wrong ammo in their guns to cause the change.

You guys are correct of course. I wonder if any of the 425 Stevens guns were actually marked on the barrel: 30-30 Rem?

Peter
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/09
I wonder if any of the 425 Stevens guns were actually marked on the barrel: 30-30 Rem?

Peter

Peter, go back a page, Gene posted pics of one that is clearly stamped 30-30 Rem on the barrel.

Still nothing from the smith, maybe I'll send him a note and remind him.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/09
Peter, I believe they all are,at least all the ones i have seen are. Don
In my defense, I'm old! And getting older by the moment. They say your memory is the second thing to go, and I've forgotten what the first thing is!

Peter
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/15/09
One 425----- serial 3950 35Rem
Thanks "FUG1899". There are now 25 guns on the list, so far. I'm still posting on other web site forums and hoping to get more numbers.

Would anyone like to take a stab at a typical survival rate for low production guns such as the 425?

Peter
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/15/09
Some more on the 30-30 versus 30 Remington:

I agree with Don and also think all 30 cal. 425�s were stamped 30-30 Remington even though when the 425 came out Remington probably had already changed the name. Stevens probably had the barrel stamp made and because of the limited production never made another.

What we call the 30-30 Winchester today was not called that by Winchester. It was the 30 WCF and according to �CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD� �was the first American small bore, smokeless powder sporting cartridge�. Because it was a smokeless only load Winchester did not use the old black powder standard when naming it. I think Winchester was still stamping their guns 30 WCF as late as the mid �50�s. It was other manufacturers including Savage that called it the 30-30.

When Remington brought out their rimless version in 1906 it was named the 30-30 Remington. The name was changed when they realized it caused confusion even though the Winchester round was still officially named the 30 WCF (the confusion is still around today). I have seen two early Remington Model 8 autoloaders stamped 30-30 Remington, one was stamped on the bolt, which is the normal location and the other was stamped on the barrel sleeve, which was probably the location on very early guns. The original name of 30-30 could not have been used very long.

I have 2 cartridges stamped 30-30 Remington and have seen a partial box on line. They are very scarce, the box I saw was partial and in poor condition and sold fast for well over $100 if I remember right. I paid $7 a piece for the cartridges I have and I talked the dealer down from $10 � when I had first asked if he had any he said he did and would bring them to the next show for me, his price quote then was $2 or $3 a piece � sure jumped up after he had asked around - did not make me very happy with him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/15/09
I don't have a 425 in 30 rem but my 425 is marked .25 rem not 25-35 Rem. Just a FYI/
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/16/09
Someone just might be interested in this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120852761

Mike...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/16/09
You think the guns are hard to find, try to find a wood set for that, not to mention trying to find the internals.

I've got a buddy looking for a hammer for one, to bad that guy selling off the barrel didn't list the guts for sale to.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/16/09
Maybe worth an email to the guy...???

Mike...
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
Someone just might be interested in this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120852761

Mike...

Mike,
I sent an email to the seller of the 425 receiver and barrel on Gun Broker asking for the serial number on his parts. Hopefully he will answer.
Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/17/09
Keep us posted...!!!

Mike...
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/17/09
Did you notice the "soft point" stamped after the caliber? Wonder when they started doing that and how common it is. My 30 cal does not have that, this relates back to the discussion about tubular magazines and pointed bullets. Is this on all the 32's or is this a high number gun? Gene
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/17/09
Did you notice the "soft point" stamped after the caliber? Wonder when they started doing that and how common it is. My 30 cal does not have that, this relates back to the discussion about tubular magazines and pointed bullets. Is this on all the 32's or is this a high number gun? Gene
I have 2 .32's here. Neither is marked "soft point" Ser #'s 2628 and 5594 which is a pretty high number.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/17/09
My 30-30 caliber s/n 3056 has the soft point in the caliber marking. Don
My 425 in .32 Rem, #4837, does NOT say "soft point" on the barrel. I've sent an email to the seller and hope he will respond with the serial number, but Stevens might have made up a group of the barrels and marked the early ones with the soft point marking, then fitted them to the receivers without regard to the serial number. So #2628 is not marked "soft point" and #3056 is.

How many angels fit on the head of a pin?

Peter
Mad Dog, did you ever hear back from the gunsmith who had several in his shop? We've only accounted for 25 Stevens High Power rifles so far.

Help!!

Peter
Any more Stevens 425 High Power rifles out there?

I'm beginning to think that maybe Brophy's statement in his Marlin book that only about 1000 High Powers were manufactured, may be correct.

The 25 rifles on the list would mean a 2.5% survival rate. I've put the same question on quite a few firearms forums, with next to no response. I wish I knew what that meant.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/20/09
That means that we know more than them...!!! grin grin grin

Mike...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/21/09
Mad Dog, did you ever hear back from the gunsmith who had several in his shop? We've only accounted for 25 Stevens High Power rifles so far.

Help!!

Peter

I actually just finished sending him a p.m. no more than 2 hours ago to remind him. He sent me back a reply saying he hasn't been able to get into the shop to do any work in a week and that he still knows I'm waiting for them. He did say that he was talking with the guy that owns the one in 30 Rem and that he might wanna sell it to me. I'm still on it. I'll post them as soon as I get em.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/21/09
Here they are Peter, whats the tally now? Apparently the last two might be coming up for sale now, this recession is really starting to hit home.

#3788 in 30 Rem
#3684 in 35 Rem
#4490 in 30-30 Rem
#3527 in 35 Rem
Thanks Mad Dog! The tally now is 29 rifles:

1050 (.35)
1737 (.30)
1805 (.30)
1842 (?)
1977 (.35)

2514 (.25)
2592 (.30)
2628 (.32)
2838 (.35)
2914 (.35)
2973 (.25)

3056 (.30)
34xx (.32)
3527 (.35)
3684 (.35)
3788 (.30)
3856 (.35)
3950 (.35)

4011 (.30)
4073 (?)
40xx (?)
4209 (.35)
4290 (.30)
4343 (.25)
4490 (.30)
4837 (.32)

5201 (.30)
5302 (.30)
5594 (.32)

That breaks down to three in .25 Rem, ten in .30 (or .30-30) Rem, four in .32 Rem, and nine in .35 Rem.

Plus there are at least two more that we don't have serial numbers for: The complete gun listed on GunsAmerica and the barrel & receiver listed on GunBroker. I've emailed both sellers but have not heard back from either.

Peter

Still looking for more Stevens 424 High Power rifle serial numbers and their calibers.

I realize that not everybody who owns one of these, will have a computer so I'm hoping that you all will continue to get the word out.

Thanks!

Peter
Two more Stevens 425 High Power rifles. Both are listed for sale on GunBrokers.

Peter
One of those is a new serial number, #1223 in .25 Rem. That raises the known guns in .25 Rem to five. All the other totals are the same.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/30/09
Pete,

I have been looking for info as sure as some others here might also be...!!!

Let's keep this going, even though it is not Savage, it is quite interesting...!!!

Mike...
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/30/09
Well the engraved one ,the 435 in 32 rem ,is coming to my house, i was afraid after Peter posted the link others would bid on it ,but no one did!! smile smile Don
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/30/09
You go Don...

Sweet rifle for sure...

Mike...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrgr223calQ2aQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ2QQfsooZ2QQrdZ0
Well the engraved one ,the 435 in 32 rem ,is coming to my house, i was afraid after Peter posted the link others would bid on it ,but no one did!! smile smile Don

Don,

I'm glad it's going to someone who will appreciate it. I would have bid, but I saw your bid so I did not.

So what is the serial number? (The seller never replied to my email.) Since this is an even rarer model 435 it will be interesting to see how the serial number compares.

Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/31/09
Peter, I didn't get the number,but as soon as it lands here i'll report in,seems so far everything is between 1000 -6000. Don
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/01/09
Don - on the engraved M435, did you agree with the sellers's assessment that the finish is all original?

Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/01/09
Steve, It looked correct to me as far as i could tell, now the buttplate might be a problem looked like a winchester carbine,but i dont know what stevens had for options at the time, never seeing a model 435, i figured i could live with it regardless. Don
Don - the gun sold before from the same seller (in November) and was returned because it had been reblued and refinished.
Steve, I will know when it gets in hand! confused three day inspection period, How did you find that out? Don
Don - I do have some info. I tried to send you a p.m. but you are over your limit. I will say if you search the seller's completed auctions over the last 90 day period you will see that the rifle also sold in November. If you follow the feedback you will see that the buyer returned the rifle and received his money back. If you research the buyer, you will see he is a gun saavy guy with many high grade and collectable firearms for sale. He also has his own website that is pretty interesting.
Steve, Thanks for the info again, i went and deleted 5 pages of pm's maybe it will work now! smile Don
Don - pm sent (successfully) wink
Posted By: pacecars Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/02/09
#4034 in .25 Rem on Gunbroker
Another .25 unk serial nbr http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121732402
Thanks pacecars. I already had both of these guns on the list. The second gun you listed is serial number 1223. The seller on gunbroker was kind enough to send the number to me.

We are now up to 31 not counting the model 435 that Don just bought.

Don -- the butt stock and buttplate on that 435 look strange to me also. The buttplate shown looks "cheaper" than the stock metal buttplate on a model 425. Sort of a backward step.

Peter
Well, I just received the serial numbers and calibers for three more guns:

2855 in .32 Rem
3804 in .30 Rem
4058 in .35 Rem

now the total is 34. Still none below 1000 or above 6000. But if 5000 High Power guns were manufactured, 34 would be an extremely LOW survival rate of only 0.68%. If only 1000 were manufactured, as claimed by Brophy in his Marlin book, the 34 guns on the list would represent a 3.4% rate; a far more believable number.

We need more numbers for a clearer picture.

Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/05/09
Peter, Stevens high power model 435 , 32 Rem caliber, s/n 4940, trimmed buttstock!! frown Don
Don, thanks for the serial number info. Really sorry about the trimmed buttstock!!! What will you do?

Out of curiosity, how is the barrel marked? Does it say 435?

Peter
Peter, Yes the barrel is marked 435, i can live with the buttstock,i knew it was trimmed when i bid on it, The 425 with non-factory, period correct checkering that just sold on Gunbroker for over $1500 was kind of amazing!! crazy to be factory checkered it would be stamped 430!!!! not 425!! someone got snookered! Don
I'm confused. The seller of that $1500+ gun that just sold on gunbroker stated that the checkering was NOT factory, and that it was a model 425. How did the buyer get snookered?

If you can find an original buttstock for your 435, you'll have made a good buy, compared to that $1500+ gun.

Peter
Peter, I just happen to think he may have "overpaid" for a non-factory checkered rifle, the checkering detracts from the value of a standard rifle!! My trimmed buttstock bothers me a lot less on a rare engraved model. Don
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/06/09
I have been trying to find this since this post started, finally found it right where I put it, just couldn't remember where that was! crazy It's an original advertising flier that measures 3.5" x 6". (PS - yes I did find it in the last place I looked).
[Linked Image]

I looked at the serial numbers that have been documented so far and took note of the gaps between them. The 4 largest are 687, 537, 347 and 292 - the smallest 15, 16, 17 and then about 25 (is from incomplete serial no.). The gaps seem to be evenly spread out with the 2 of the 4 largest coming from the ends. From this I would not expect to find a larger gap on either end of the numbers collected so I do not expect a no. 1 and would think it reasonable that 1000 may have been the start, I also would not expect to break 6000 (or not to go over by much). I have looked for several different model guns over the last few years with known production numbers and really feel from what I have seen that 1000 is to small a number for the 425, I would be more inclined to think that we are looking at about 5000 that run from 1000 to about 6000.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/06/09
Gene, thats great to have an original sales brochure!! i'm thinking the numbers 1000-6000 could be the magic numbers. smile smile Don
I agree - neat original flier!

Gene and Don, you guys may be correct, although even if we can account for 50 guns, that's only a 1% survival rate which I think is very low. Also, I'm still stuck on the fact that Savage could not separate out the Stevens High Power rifle from the other rifle in the production file. If the Stevens numbers were consectutive I would think it would be easy to separate the two rifles.

At least, now it seems from the number on Don's model 435 that all of the High Power rifles were numbered in the same series.

Peter
I have added another gun to our list, #4677 in .35 Rem.

We still have fewer than 50 guns listed which, if 5000 is the number of guns manufactured, is a very small survival rate of less than 1%. I have to think that with a gun like this the survival rate would be at least 10% - and probably much higher.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that people throw away their guns. I know I never have.

Peter

This number (4677) was an error. The correct number is 1477 and the owner needs a part (I believe he needs the cartridge carrier).

I also just saw number 1766 in .32 Rem listed on GunBroker and I bought it. I could not pass it up!!!!

Peter
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/13/09
Compare the cartridge carrier in the early guns to the pictures I posted, I believe it will be different and of the design shown in the patent. Mine has a later design carrier that is not like the patent drawings.
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/14/09

We still have fewer than 50 guns listed which, if 5000 is the number of guns manufactured, is a very small survival rate of less than 1%. I have to think that with a gun like this the survival rate would be at least 10% - and probably much higher.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that people throw away their guns. I know I never have.

Peter
Peter, I don't think the 50 guns we've found has anything to do with "survival rate". I think I know more gun collectors that don't own a computer than do. Alot more are owned by people that aren't passionate about guns.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/14/09
I'll second that.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/15/09
Alot more are owned by people that aren't passionate about guns.

Yep, what were the chances that a smith I know would have three of them in his shop all getting repairs and were owned by three seperate people. He lives in a small town of maybe 10,000 as well.
Yes, I know that is a problem. We need to reach High Power owners who don't own or use a computer (and don't go on gun forums). If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, I'm all ears.
Peter
Posted By: lozen Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/16/09
Bill Goodman has a 30 Rem. [and a 1899C 30-30] if anyones interested. http://www.goodmanguns.com/
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/16/09
also a 425 hi power
Another 425 has surfaced - it is number 2462 in .30 Rem (AKA 30-30 Rem). We now have 40 guns on the list.

I have sent an email to the Editors of Gun Digest (formally Gun List) asking them to put a request in their Letters to the Editor column for 425 owners to send their serial numbers to me. Hopefully they will do it, and hopefully 425 owners will respond.

Peter

Another Stevens High Power lever gun has surfaced. It is #4594 in .30 Rem.

Has anyone gotten the serial number of the 425 with Bill Goodman at Goodman Guns?

Peter
Does anyone know the serial numbers on each of the 425 High Power rifles for sale at Goodmans Guns and Leroy Mertz?

Peter
I received my 425 High Power #1766 and it appears to be in excellent condition, however, I noticed it has an unusual rear sight. I'll post a photo when the gun comes out of the 10-day quarantine (waiting period) in force here in California, where our Democrat politicians hate guns (wait, isn't that an oxymoron!). Ann Coulter said of Nancy Pelosi (a California Democrat politician) that only in America can a woman who's mentally retarded be Speaker of the US House!

Peter
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/26/09
I still haven't heard back from my guy, he said he'd try to talk one of them guys into selling me one, Gettin antsy now.
Another 425 was listed on another gun forum. It is #2567 in .30Rem. So now we have 42 guns listed.

Peter
The caliber breakdown on the known High Powers (not counting the Goodman or Mertz guns, and two where we have serial numbers but not the calibers):

.25 Rem -- 5 guns
.30 Rem -- 15 guns
.32 Rem -- 9 guns
.35 Rem -- 11 guns

Peter
I have been contacted by the owners of seven (7) more Stevens 425 rifles. I have the serial numbers and calibers for four of these guns that are owned by one lucky man (he has one each of the four available calibers):

#1265 in .25 Rem
#3541 in .30 Rem
#2705 in .32 Rem
#3360 in .35 Rem

I'm waiting for the serial number/caliber info on the other three guns.

Peter
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/05/09
Pete do you have these from GB

One that sold .25 rem. Auction #121732402
Auction # 122094422 .25 rem looks like serial#4043
Auction # 122675166 .32 rem serial #1766
Dave
Dave,

Thanks for your input. Serial number 1766 in .32 Rem is the one I bought, and #4043 is on the list also. I'll check Gun Broker, but it might be 4043 again.

I emailed GUN DIGEST and they printed my request for Stevens 425 serial numbers and calibers. I haven't received my issue yet but response is coming in already.

Peter

Here are some more numbers sent to me by readers of Gun Digest - the Magazine:

2544 in .32 Rem
3185 unknown caliber because no barrel.

Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/09
Peter, I know of another one, serial number 32xx in 35 rem,the old guy didnt give me the complete number. We still have seen no rifles under s/n 1000 nor any over 6000, this makes a production number of 5000 look more realistic. Don
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/09
This has been one very interesting thread I must say...!!!

Mike...
Posted By: kiwi Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/10/09
Could we possibly get the leaders to sticky this thread as there is so much info on here that it is something that I keep going back to
One day I hope to secure one of these
Peter, I know of another one, serial number 32xx in 35 rem,the old guy didnt give me the complete number. Don

Don, is there any way you can get the complete serial number? That way there's no possibility of the same gun getting listed twice. Please assure him that we will not use his number for any other purpose.

Peter
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/10/09
Peter, Believe me it aint going to be recorded twice, i had to chisel 2 numbers out of him , i think at this point were just looking for numbers under 1000 or numbers over 6000 , all numbers between are just verifing what we already know! Don
Peter, Believe me it aint going to be recorded twice, i had to chisel 2 numbers out of him , i think at this point were just looking for numbers under 1000 or numbers over 6000 , all numbers between are just verifing what we already know! Don

Don, you may be correct about 5000 guns, but I still find it odd that I have found no consecutive serial numbers. Remember when I started this thread everybody thought there were 26,000 Stevens 425 High Powers manufactured. Then it was ascertained that the High Power production records were lumped in with another gun and Savage could not separate them out. If all the Stevens High Power rifles were consecutively numbered from 1000 to 6000 it would have been easy to separate them from the other gun. In addition, Brophy in his Marlin book claimed that only about 1,000 Stevens 425 High Power rifles were manufactured. Without any consectutive serial numbers we still can't make a good case for whether 5000 or 1000 guns were made.

So the 4-digit serial number of your friend's gun does become more important than just preventing duplicate numbers.

Peter
Here is another number: #5439 in .32 Rem, in response to my letter to Gun Digest The Magazine. It's over 5000 but still under the high number (5594) that we've had listed for a while.

Peter
Posted By: mistem Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/15/09
I have a lead on another serial # on a 30 Rem........looked at the rifle today and now I'm thinking that I better buy it. What's the value of an original unmodified rifle in 70% condition???
Thanks for all of the information.
Mitch
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/15/09
mistem ,Its hard saying because every time someone reads this thread and gets interested ,like yourself,there will be more demand! i myself would probably pay around $700 or so on one in that condition. Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/15/09
Talked to my smith again just to ask him if any of the guns he had were checkered. Was a no. Figured I'd take a shot though, maybe he figured they were all 425's.
Mad Dog,
An idea of why the rifles were at the gunsmiths? I'm looking at purchasing one and was wondering if the 425's were prone to a design defect of some sort.
Mitch
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/15/09
All of them in there were for different repairs, nothing the same.

I believe I found them because I saw he was looking for a hammer for a Stevens 425, then I found out he had 4 of them in for repairs.
Thanks....I'm off to spend some money on a 30 rem in 425. I'll post the serial # later tonight.
Mitch
Here's the serial # 2283 30-30 Rem

Mitch
Thanks Mitch. That makes just 54 High Power lever guns.

11 guns in the 1000 serial number range
12 guns in the 2000 serial number range
13 guns " " 3000 " " "
13 guns " " 4000 " " "
5 guns " " 5000 " " "

.25 Rem is still the scarcest caliber with only 6 guns, followed by .32 Rem with 12 guns. The least scarce is .30 Rem (AKA 30-30 Rem) with 18 guns, followed by .35 Rem with 15 guns.

Still no consecutive serial numbers.

Peter
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/18/09
MISTEM...!!!!

What happened...???

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...lat/Number/2892662/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

Mike...
Posted By: mistem Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/18/09
Taxidermist called and my son's bear is ready to pick up......between this and my taxes, something has to go.
Mitch
Posted By: mistem Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/18/09
That and the Misses hasen't seen my newest pruchase cry
Got the info on another few guns from my letter published in GunDigest-The Magazine. The total is now just 57 guns - still with no consecutive serial numbers. GunDigest is going to publish another letter from me for their NRA issue, and this letter will include my street address as well as my email address. Hopefully this will reach Stevens 425 High Power owners who don't use a computer.

Peter
NRA Life Member
Posted By: snakemanmn Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/07/09
I have a Stevens 425 High Power in 35 Remington, serial number 4623. I inherited it from my father who loved 35 Remington for whitetail deer hunting in northern Minnesota.

Does anyone know where one could find a buttstock and or forearm for this model? Does anyone make reproductions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Thanks snakemanmn for the info on your Stevens 425 High Power. That brings us up to 61 guns.

There may have been some replacement wood made - read back over the posts on this gun. It may have been a post by GeneB.

Peter
NRA Life Member
Posted By: BillR Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/26/09
I saw stevens 430 #4791 35 Remington yesterday. Could you update the tally now as to number located and caliber tally?
Thanks
BillR
Hi,

With the Model 430 #4791 above, the total number of Stevens High Power rifles on our list is 81. Only two of these are model 430.
The lowest serial number is still 1050 and the highest is still 5594. I know that not everyone agrees with me, but I am closer and closer to agreeing with Brophy that only about 1,000 of these rifles were manufactured.

As for the Stevens Model 15 that the High Power was "lumped" with in the Savage/Stevens production totals, I recently saw a photo of a "Springfield Model 15" manufactured by Stevens. I don't know anything about this gun or whether or not this is the Model 15 that is mentioned.

Peter Zobian
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hey Pete:

Just read 'yo thread about Stevens 425. A guy I use to work with, his brother & 3 others were killed in an auto accident back in Oct. 1965, going on a hunting trip. His bro had a 425?, think 35. The car flew off a bridge, landed upside down in a river. The action was somehow damaged & the lever wouldn't open up fully. Had a 'smith look at it, no fix'um.

I haven't seen him for 8++ yrs now & don't know what happened to it. My slipping memory slipped back into gear & I just thought of it. Lettin ya know. . 99 LL . .
Posted By: BillR Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/06/09
The 430 #4791 35 Remington was for sale at a show in Bracebridge, Ontario on Sunday. It is about a 60% gun with a small piece missing at toe. It had a tang sight that didn't raise lower properly. Middle sight was from a Winchester carbine.
Asking price was $750 if my memory serves me correctly.
BillR
Posted By: docost99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/06/09
For the owners of the 425's in 25 Rem, I have a partial box of Remington 25 Remington shells that I have no use for. The box is in nice shape and IIRC, there are 9 rounds inside. PM me if you would be interested.

Brian
Thanks for the serial number and caliber. I have added it to the list and we now have 86 Stevens 425 series High Power rifles. The lowest serial number is still 1050 and the highest is still 5594. All the serial numbers are still only 4-digit. Here is a breakdown by caliber:

25 Rem = 11 guns
30 Rem = 31 guns
32 Rem = 13 guns
35 Rem = 28 guns
*Caliber is unknown on 3 rifles: #3185, #4073, and #40xx

Here is the breakdown by serial number group:

1000 series = 19 guns
2000 series = 19 guns
3000 series = 17 guns
4000 series = 20 guns
5000 series = 11 guns

I need more serial numbers with calibers -- PLEASE.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: Nmbr1GMfan Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
Picked up a Stevens High Power 425 in .30-.30 Rem. SN# 3827
Posted By: norm99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
saving info .good thread will keep an eye out.
norm
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Picked up a Stevens High Power 425 in .30-.30 Rem. SN# 3827

Thanks! With some other serial numbers I've received recently, we have now found only 97 Stevens High Power rifles. The lowest serial number is still 1050 and the highest is still 5594. All serial numbers found are 4-digit and we have found no consecutive serial numbers.

I am still collecting serial numbers and calibers of the rare rifle.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
Peter, Fascinating thread you have here. Have you talked to the curator of the NRA Museum ? They may have 1 or 2 around there and possibly add a serial or 2. Disregard if this ? was asked earlier. I did not read every post. Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
Was looking at another one last week at a gunshop up here.

Never got the serial number, was in 35 Rem.

They were asking $550 plus shipping and wouldn't budge on the price. Any other time o.k. but this poor thing had what looked like 2 inches of a Savage 1899 buttstock w crescent buttplate added to the back of it. I just noticed it's gone now and I wonder if the guy that bought knows he paid to much or maybe he even thinks it's supposed to have a crescent buttplate. Oh well, learn before you leap, everyone has to learn the hardway.
Posted By: Nmbr1GMfan Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
My gun has dirty wood and slight rust but good blue. Should I leave it be or clean it up real good? Will it affect the value? Thanks
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/10
Won't hurt it to clean it, just don't sand it.
Posted By: Nmbr1GMfan Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/24/10
Thank you. I looked the rifle up in the 2010 standard catalog of firearms tonight and there was a funny symbol marking this gun, I looked up the symbol at the bottom of the page and they catagorized the gun as a "sleeper, with rapidly rising value and/or significant collector potential" SWEET, Im glad I went yard saleing last weekend.
I've sold two Stevens 425 High powers. One in 32 that I considered a parts gun because it was restocked and the action would cycle but not cock the hammer and a nice reblued 30-30 REM. I'll check my records and see if I can find the s/n's. I hope your thread increases demand. These rifles certainly deserve more recognition. I carried the 30 around New England gun shows for nearly 10 years before it moved. I even showed it at a table with a sign that said "collector of anything Stevens" and he didn't know what it was. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of lever actions. Thanks; Mike
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/24/10
Anyone have any parts for a 425? Need a hammer.
Posted By: Nmbr1GMfan Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 05/17/10
Anyone ever had one of these apart? how do you compress the hammer spring to re-assemble?
Posted By: norm99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/15/10
I SCREWED UP BIG TIME at a show on Saturday 15 savages on a table ,,,so busy looking at them and cataloging them i psaaed over a 22-410 and a Stevens 425-- 3o rem ser 5223 ..
looking quick i though MARLIN that will teach me to be more ATTENTIVE sick eek frown
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/04/10
a bump for Jay
Posted By: jay Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/04/10
LM99, thanks for bump. The serial number on my 25 Rem. is 3087. I shot this gun today before I bought it,very pleasant to shoot.I love the sights on this gun, going to try to take a whitetail with it this year. jay
Posted By: Musket104 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/01/10
FWIW, a co-worker has a 425 SN 3814 in 30-30 Rem.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/01/10
4 sale?
Hello:

We now have only 106 Stevens High Power rifles on our list. The most common calibers are still .30 Rem (30-30) and .35 Rem. The rarest is .25 Rem followed by .32 Rem. The lowest serial number found is still 1050 and the highest is still 5594, and we have not recorded any consecutive serial numbers. In my opinion Mr. Brophy was correct in stating in the Marlin Book that only about 1000 Stevens High Power rifles were manufactured. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it!

However, I'm still looking for more numbers and calibers!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/03/10
did you get the one that sold at Amoskeag? There was one on GB a few months back also....
No, I did not. Did anyone get the serial numbers and calibers?

One gentleman just emailed me with the info that he owns 5 of these rare rifles! That and a few more emails brings the total to 115 Stevens 425 High Powers and our first consecutive serial numbers! That's right, we have now found two guns with consecutive serial numbers, #3694 and #3695, both in .35 Remington! Also, we have now found a new lowest serial number (so far): #1021 in .35 Rem. The highest known serial number is still 5594 in .32 Rem.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
email: [email protected]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/15/10
My gunsmith buddy emailed me the other day and said he had one in there in 25 Rem that looked like it just came out of the box. Forgot to ask him for the serial range but I can next time I'm talking to him. Told him to pump the guy up to sell it to me.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/15/10
amoskeag carries all of their past catalogs online and I am pretty certain the serial number was with it... the gun looked like it was brand new. Also, Steve, 1899Sav just bought one not long ago.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/15/10
Peter, i picked one up about a month ago, model 425 s/n 5026 30-30 Rem. Not sure if you have it or not. Any more model 430's-435's-440's just checking. Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/17/10
Grabbed a wallhanger up for $100 in 35 Rem and comes with a spare 30 Rem barrel, for the money I'll have alot of spare parts for when I do find a nice one. Let you know the serial number when it gets here.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/11
Got 3 of them now:

3543 35 Rem

4448 25 Rem

4518 35 Rem

4518 is marked "Not English made", not real sure what that means though.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/11
Pictures?? Nice pick-ups!
Soon, they ain't here yet.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/11
Don:

Is your gun actually stamped 30-30 Rem or 30 Rem?
Posted By: airedaleman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/11
Got 3 of them now:

3543 35 Rem

4448 25 Rem

4518 35 Rem

4518 is marked "Not English made", not real sure what that means though.

Believe many guns imported into England were so marked. Does it have British proofs? Many years ago I had a B model 1893 Marlin so marked and proofed.

Mike
Ya, the guy that sold them to me told me it had other markings on it but I won't know what they are till it gets here.

Does J.C. letter 425's?
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/11/11
It is stamped 30-30 Rem. i have a couple like that. Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/11
The one with the spare barrel showed up, didn't know that the barrels were serial numbered to the gun so heres another one:

30-30 Rem: ser, 4570.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/11
I have been looking for more 30-30 Remington items to go with my rifle and have found them harder to find than the guns, I did get another box to go with my Peters a while ago, it's supposed to be full of the original empties but It came shrink wrapped and I do not want to open it until I can do something with them (that's why it looks short).
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another thing harder to find than the guns is catalogs with them in. It's taken quite a while but I finally filled in some of the gaps - but i have had trouble putting accurate dates to them. The earliest catalog I have with the 425 is dated 1911, it has the higher grades listed, the next is the same number but is from 1912 (or later) - it still has the higher grades but my copy has the scope for the 425 stamped as discontinued, No 54 does not list any of the higher grade versions - I do not have any date info on it, also knowing Stevens there could be several different variations with the same number. An undated pocket catalog mentions "for higher grades see rifle catalog No 11", rifle catlog No 11 has all the higher grades, also the 425 is the first gun listed - evidently they still had high hopes for it at this time. The rifle catalog still lists all the pistols???? - Stevens catalogs still have me confused. I also have a No 55 catalog, 425 not listed, it has a price list from Dec 1, 1920. There is no mention of Stevens being owned by Savage but my copy has had the export office address marked out and another stamped above it - it's the same as for Savage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gene, do you have any good pics of the scope mount the guns were D&T'd for.

I should add that they were D&T'd at the factory before some of the "collectible" guys lately start on me. Big difference here guys.
Gene, do you have any good pics of the scope mount the guns were D&T'd for.

I should add that they were D&T'd at the factory before some of the "collectible" guys lately start on me. Big difference here guys.

I have not found anything other the the picture shown of the scope on the rifle - I have several parts catalogs and none show a detail of the mounts for the 425 Hi-Power. I have looked, the short production run on these might mean that they never got cataloged or are only in a catalog I haven't stumbled onto yet.

You can see in the picture that the 425 mounts are not adjustable and that the scope shown has adjustment knobs - this is different than the other scoped rifles in the catalog - they all have adjustment in the mounts. The fact that the scope looks specific to the 425 and was discontinued before the rifle raises the question why they still drilled and tapped them??? ..or are there some late productions guns that aren't?????

Gene
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/14/11
Gene, In Bill Wests book Savage/ Stevens it has a bit of info and a picture of a 425 with a scope mounted. Don
Don, I have a copy of West's 2nd edition but cam't find it right now -- this is a picture I posted early in this thread from a Stevens catalog - it's the same as the one above that's stamped "discontinued", this has been the only picture of a scope I have found, you can see by comparing to the scope below it that it is a different type setup than other Stevens.
[Linked Image]
What page Don?

I'm looking at my 2nd addition at page 8-0 but no scope on it, can't find another 425 in there.

So does that front mount fit in the dovetail like a Stith mount?
I don't have my book here, but i think its in the stevens scope section ,they also show a 1899 savage with a stevens scope,just going by memory. and the front mount does go in the sight dovetail on the 425 model. Don
Sure you means Wests and not Kimmels or Stroebels?
Joe, I'll go out and check after supper ! well i went and looked in both Wests and Kimmels books and didn't find it !!!!!! that means its somewhere else in my old book library !!!!!!! crazy crazy now i got to find it !!
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/26/11
Here's the 425 in 25 Rem, it's the nice one. Looks a hair shiny cause I put a coat of snake oil on it before putting it away, don't think she's ever had that on it before.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/26/11
Joe, Thats a nice one for sure, i'm looking for one in 25 Rem. thats the only caliber i don't have. Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/27/11
Ya, she's an easy 90% rifle. The tube is the only thing thats grey on it and I might take the tube off the 35 Rem cause it's almost mint and put it on this one to make it a 95%er.
Posted By: InLikeFlynn Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/11
My sister has a very nice 425 in .30-30 Remington, was her deer rifle for years, last fired in 1974. Serial number is 4675. This one is in good shape, all working, no cracks in the stock, a few scratches to the metal, nothing major, has a nice Marbles full buck horn sight, I would say the rifle is about in %75 condition.

She would like to sell it, and although I have seen some that have sold for ~$875.00 I am guessing a realistic price would be from $400.00 to $650.00. Does this sound about right?

Thanks
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/11
Sounds about right for up here, not sure about U.S. prices.

Bet it sells fast to someone on this forum looking for one.
Originally Posted by Musket104
FWIW, a co-worker has a 425 SN 3814 in 30-30 Rem.

I already have #3814 in .30 Rem on our list, but thanks! We now have 141 rifles on our list. Please keep the serial numbers and calibers coming.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/02/11
Did you get the 530 that sold at amoskeag about 2 or 3 wu tips ago? Also they auctioned an awesome425 in adifferent auction.
No, unfortunately I did not. I find it difficult to be everywhere at once. If anyone has these numbers and calibers, would they please post them here?

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: dagwood Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/14/11
I am Brand new to 24hourcampfire, and joined to add one to this thread. I have 425 #1841 in .32 Rem. I don't know too much about it. It came from my uncle through my father. My uncle passed away probably 30 years ago, and my dad has been gone a little over 10 years, so I can't ask anything about it.

It is in pretty rough shape, missing the front and rear sights, loading gate, stock and butt plate. It also has a replaced main spring.

Does anyone have parts? I would like to get the loading gate. If I can't find one, maybe someone has one they might photograph in a couple of views? I sure would appreciate it. Dave
Posted By: Tbury Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/14/11
Have you tried calling Bob's Gun shop? He has stocks and parts for old guns.
http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

He may have some parts. Numrich sometimes has parts; but I looked at their listing and loading gates were not listed.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/17/11
I've got a 425 loading gate here, actually I've got a full set of internals except for the hammer which has been traded off already. What I need is an original buttplate for one of my 35's but I see your looking for one as well which doesn't help me out at all.

Anyone out there have a 425 buttplate?
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/21/11
Peter,

Do you think you could give us another run down on your findings and/or post the entire list... maybe as an attachment is Excel.

Here are two more for your list

425- in 35 Rem-- serial 3698

and a stunning 435 in 35 Rem serial 1096 with pictures for those that would like to see it... neither of these are my guns but they sold publicly in the last 2 years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/15/11
Found two more for ya... both 425s and both 35 Rems, serials are 1499 and 3548

Posted By: BillR Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/21/11
I saw Stevens 425 #5043 30-30 Remington at the Eganville gunshow on Aug 20.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/21/11
Those are beautiful Drew!
I watched this one go by last month, but iot won't be any help on the serial # quest

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243736413
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/26/11
Saw one of these for the first time this week. Very slick action and beautifully made. Price was $795 which I thought was very high given the fact that was missing a sliver of wood at the tang. Condition was decent otherwise.

For those of you keeping track, it was a 30 Rem (marked 30-30 Remington) Serial #1198.

If you're interested in the gun, PM me and I'll give you the contact info. It's in northern Michigan.

Rod
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/26/11
Originally Posted by Phil99
Saw one of these for the first time this week. Very slick action and beautifully made. Price was $795 which I thought was very high given the fact that was missing a sliver of wood at the tang. Condition was decent otherwise. Rod

Rod - there was one on my table at the last Savage Fest, 30-30 Remington with a repair to the stock at the top left side of the tang - stock problems in the tang area are quite common with these from what I have seen. I am sure that many of these Stevens have been over looked by someone just thinking it's 'another Marlin' at first glance - I look for them and have walked by some that I later notice the second time around a show.....make me wonder how many I never noticed that second time around!!!

E. E. Redfield dsigned rifles-
[Linked Image]
Gene
Posted By: docost99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/27/11
Saw one today in a local shop. #1272 in 25 Rem wearing a Lyman tang sight and bearing "custom" checkering on both forarm and buttstock....maybe 70% overall.
Pricetag said $1500.......
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 11/21/11
Hey, was it anyone here that won the parts gun 425 on GB last month on the 22nd?

Still looking for a buttplate to finish off my 3rd 425.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/30/12
Vintage
Do you have serial number 3740
in .25 rem.? I also know of 5366 am
waiting on caliber
Mike
Posted By: Winremsav13 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/01/12
#2711 in 35 Rem resides in Big Sky Country. Paid $500 at Livingston gun show
about 10 yrs ago. I have only seen this one and 2 or 3 others, which were in Cody, Wyo. Backwoodman magazine ran an article on High Powers back in about 1998. Took 5 yrs to find one.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
Well i picked up a rifle in 25 Remington today,s/n 1928 it says 25 Rem soft point on the barrel. It is a bit rough but i have all the calibers now ,i was missing the 25 cal. Don
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
I guess they really didn't want you to shoot pointed bullets!
Steve, Thats kind of what i was thinking !! still no s/n below 1000 or over 6000 !! smile Don
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
Well i picked up a rifle in 25 Remington today,s/n 1928 it says 25 Rem soft point on the barrel.

Don, thats wierd huh?

I was looking at one of my 425's in 35 Rem the other day and it says the same thing but the other 35 Rem and the 25 Rem don't have that stamped on their barrels.

Got the new (old) Marbles installed on the 25 Rem last week, feels wierd, it's right in the way of where I grip the butt.

[Linked Image]
Joe,I have a few that say it,and some that dont!!!! dont remember the calibers tho. grin i don't understand the random stampings !!! grin
What do you think of these. They're on one of my 35 Rems. British Proof marks? Import marks?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
So, some of them must be specially designed to handle pointed bullets? wink

Joe - those are some very neat proof marks!
Yep, just found out what they are. Google is awesome.

They're British all right. One is a black powder proof mark, one is a "view" proof mark and the other is some parrabellum pistol proof mark. Not sure why thats on it. They were all made at the Birmingham proof house. Someone must have brought it back to Canada after the war or something. Wierd, why would someone take a Stevens 425 with them over there?

This is acceptable since the gun was proofed in a national proof
house after original manufacture and again when the gun was exported to a different country
as a military acquisition.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
A little history of the Birmingham Proof House.

http://www.gunproof.com/index.html

Why wouldn't someone have taken it there and back. In the late 19th and early 20th century the Brits were infatuated with U.S. firearms. Colt's had a factory there for quite a while and Winchester '73s and '76s sold well. For those that couldn't afford a British "Best" rifle or shotgun they went with what worked.
Cool, it says they have a store of documents. I'd bet if I got ahold of them they could tell me why or when my 425 was there.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
Probably be worth a couple mouse clicks or a few stamps.
I got a couple 1886 Winchester express rifles that were used in Labrador for shooting those big seals !!!!! They got those damned proof marks all over the barrels!!! crazy crazy
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/12
I'll hazard a guess that way back when England's gun laws started to become draconian in nature, a fair number of rifles were 'evacuated' back to this side of the Atlantic- Canada being a logical destination. Any gun imported into the UK had to be proofed at the gov't proof house before it could be sold, as well as any gun freshly built there.
Posted By: airedaleman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'll hazard a guess that way back when England's gun laws started to become draconian in nature, a fair number of rifles were 'evacuated' back to this side of the Atlantic- Canada being a logical destination. Any gun imported into the UK had to be proofed at the gov't proof house before it could be sold, as well as any gun freshly built there.

Many years ago I had a Model 1893 Marlin B grade (barrel marked "for Black Powder") with a full set of English proofs. Bought it through the mail from someone in Minnesota. (Kind of close to Canada, no?)
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
I have seen 3 or 4 99s with British proofs, have seen a few listed for sale that were still in England, and have owned at least one myself but I sold it...
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by airedaleman
Bought it through the mail from someone in Minnesota. (Kind of close to Canada, no?)

Only counts in horseshoe's and hand grenades. wink
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
I have an 1899 C with British proof marks, it also has a name engraved/stamped on the bottom of the reciever. Curiously, it has the really thick butt plate that is referred to the "English model" on the 1903 .22's, but I do not think it was ever referred like that on the 1899's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
Another angle to consider regarding American guns with British proofmarks (but not in this case I think) is the tons of rifles loaned by U.S. citizens to the Home Guard in 1940 when England was on the ropes. Many of them made it back here after the war. I personally viewed a Winchester 54 in .30/06 that made the trip over and back, with British proofs on it. I wonder how many U.S. lever actions were donated too.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/12
That sounds like the most logical answer yet.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/12
Do you have serial number 1127 in .35 rem ?
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/09/12
looks like vintageautomobilia has not been on here since last July... it would be nice to see an update list and see that it gets maintained.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/24/12
I, recently purchased a 425 that has some minor pitting on the barrel should I have it reblued ? I do not think that it will detract from the value.
Any advice ?
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/26/12
Don't reblue... that would be bad... just clean out the rust and keep it oiled lightly.

on a side note, I was doing a little googling around and found reference to someone claiming to own one with a 3 digit serial numbers... which would sort of blow out the water the idea that they started at 1000.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1276204271
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/27/12
He says this about 5 posts down from that:

Originally Posted by boats
Also it's not a 3 digit number, thats the model number 425 serial number is 31XX
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/27/12
opps...nice catch... I'd really like to see Pete's list ... just googling find a few ppl talking about their guns and lists chambering and serials...
P.M. him and ask him to update the list.

Last I saw the 25 Rem was still the rarest.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/27/12
I looked the other day and he has not been online here since last summer... I might hit him up though...
He's still around, he's been on alot at Firearms Talk, big thread on the 425's there.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/18/12
Hello Everyone,
Does anyone have an extra model 425 magazine tube and its assembly parts for sale?
If so contact me
Thanks
Mike Dahl
[email protected]
or
252-259-2607
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/26/12
Numrich has some parts for the Model 425 in stock. Nothing I can use though.
Check the web site.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/26/12
Mike, ever come cross a buttplate yet?

Shoot me an email when you get a chance, not at home so calling is useless.

Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/14/12
Do we have the following rifles accounted for:
ser# 2100 in 25 rem
ser# 4313 in 35 rem
ser# 1332 in 30 rem
ser# 2526 in 32 rem

Thanks Mike

Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/19/12
Mike,

Did you buy all of these? I bid on all of them and thought they sold VERY reasonably. 1332 and 2526 both looked like nice rifles to me. Congrats if you were the buyer.
Posted By: bigolddave Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 11/11/12
Picked up what I thought was number 1323 this afternoon; that was what was on the tag. Looking at it this morning, it is 1332, which was reported just above. GeneB passed on it, so it must not be a very good one. Have to go, will read the whole thread tomorrow and post more info.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/25/12
Merry Christmas and Happy New
Year. Does anyone know what Hammer Extension is compatible for the 425
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/25/12
Hey Mike, Merry Christmas, not sure what if any hammer extension will work with a 425 seeing as how uncommon they are but if I had to fit or modify anything for it I'd start with something from the older Marlin line.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/29/12
Thank You for the info
Still looking for 425 parts
Mike

Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/13
bump for Yar
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/13
Originally Posted by BruceLeroy
Thank You for the info
Still looking for 425 parts
Mike

Mike, I know your looking for a tube but I'm gonna put some internal parts up on GB this week, no tube though, sorry.

Still looking for a buttplate guys, in case someone knows where one is.
Posted By: yar Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/13/13
I recently picked one up in 32 Remington serial number 2794.
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/01/13
Finally picked up a 425 today and pretty reasonably. I will get the serial number out once I get to bring it home. Background checks are about 7 days out right now. This one is in 30 Remington, with a Marbles tang sight on it. Rear sight has been taken off and plug put in place. Crack at the toe and bore is decent, should clean up. Sitting in the rack at the local shop when I was in there for a transfer from Steelhead. Decided to put in on the same background sheet.
Posted By: cab32 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/24/13
I have #3996 in 30 Rem. It is missing the wood, sights, magazine spring and cap. There are replacement stocks available but the price is $135. I am looking for someone who has a good stock and is willing to trace it or photograph it on graph paper as well as measure the stock. With a graphed tracing and measurements along with the photos I already have, I can make a stock. I only need the surface measurements as the inletting is simply governed by the reciever.
CAB
Posted By: JeffG Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/24/13
It might be worth the $135 for templates, you can probably recoup the cost by making a few sets and offering them to others.
Posted By: cab32 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/24/13
I don't have a duplicator.
Posted By: wiley Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/26/13
Picked up #4401 in 30-30 Rem. It's not fresh, but it is reasonably complete.

What's the deal with brass for these? I was wondering if the 6.8 SPC could be re formed to 30 Rem as well..
Posted By: cab32 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/28/13
Huntington's had 30 Remington brass last week. may still have some. Also list dies.
Posted By: wiley Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/28/13
Thanks!
Hello, I'm back! The latest count on found Stevens 425 High Power rifles is only 184 guns. The lowest serial number is still 1021 and the highest is still 5594. I saw the post about a supposed 3-digit serial number, and I don't believe it! The rarest caliber appears to be .32 Rem and the most popular caliber is .30 Rem.

I've been at this research since 2008 and I still believe Brophy in his Marlin book is correct -- only 1000 (or fewer) Stevens 425 High Power rifles were manufactured.

Our list includes only two or three of the fancier 425 models, but I have found a very unusual Stevens 425. It is a 425-C saddle ring carbine, serial number 4076 in .35 Rem. Has anyone ever seen one?

Thanks everyone for all your help. Please continue to post your serial numbers and calibers.

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: Don57 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/20/13
New user, but I have a Stevens 425, believe bought by my grandfather, passed to my father, now me. 30-30 Rem, serial number 3908.
Here are photos of the Stevens 425-C High Power Saddle Ring Carbine. I've never seen another one Has anyone?

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Attached picture 1stevens425-carbine.JPG
Attached picture 1stevens425-carbine-LS.JPG
Posted By: Jericho Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/25/13
There was a 425 on GUNSAMERICA a few days ago, did one of you
guys buy it?
I didn't, but there also was one that just sold on GunBroker. It was #5162 in .30-30 Rem. It was not on our list, but it is now!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: CoreyD Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/21/13
Hello, just letting you know I have #3520 in .35 rem.
Posted By: Don57 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/15/13
Does anyone know if there is a currently produced ammo that can be safely used in the 425 30-30? I'd like to still use mine to hunt deer.
Posted By: Clarkwho Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/17/13
I have #1132 in .35 Rem.

Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/17/13
I would think that any standard production load with 150 or 170 gr bullet should work fine as long as the rifle is in good working order. The industry keeps them loaded down so they can be used in older rifles.
Posted By: wiley Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/17/13
It's 30 Remington, not 30-30, and tougher to find. 30-30 dies can be used with a 40 S&W shell holder. Loads are identical for projectiles and powders. There is also a new 30 Remington AR chambering for AR15s, that's different, too.
Posted By: FUG1899 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/17/13
If you look around you can still fine new old stock for the 30 Remington for $40.00 to $50.00 a box tops!!
Posted By: saddletramp Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/19/13
Here is another serial number for the Stevens 425: 2561 in "30 30 Remington"
Posted By: WayneM Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/26/13
Just picked up #2236 in .25 Remington
Posted By: DGarfield Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/27/13
My friend just bought and sold a 425, it was 25 rem, sn4500.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 11/16/13
Do you have 5328 in 30 rem ?
It is a parts gun
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 11/19/13
This is a Model 430
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/13
Unsure if anyone is actually keeping a spreadsheet anymore but saw 3671 listed as a "30-30" today. Looked to have some aftermarket checkering.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/04/14
adding 3903 in 25 Rem, none of these are mine but I run across them from time to time.
Posted By: BruceLeroy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/17/14
Try Buffalo Arms for ammo
Posted By: SageFly Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 05/16/14
I originally posted this in the Lever-action forum, but was told I should post it here (I hadn't looked in the Savage forum).

I was browsing through my father's rifles today and came across a Stevens 425 in 25 Remington. He doesn't know the history of it, other than it was his fathers for some time. The wood needs to be cleaned and all the metal has very light surface rust, but overall it looks like it would clean up well. The serial # is in the 4XXX range (I can't remember the last three digits).

He and I have never shot it, but his brother did a long while back and stated that it fired but something wasn't quite right. We don't remember what it was that needed attention, but it may be something I'll look in to this summer.

My father has no interest in keeping it and would like to get a nice varmint/deer rifle and scope setup in its place. I have a .243 that I was going to build, but it may end up going to him instead and this will be added to my collection.

Would this type of gun be something I could take to my local gunsmith or should I find someone that specializes in old lever actions?
Posted By: Cthulhu Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/22/14
I was brought one of these 425 Stevens rifles in 35 Rem (I'll post the SN and details when I'm in my shop)to repair. It doesn't feed reliably - working the lever causes the rounds to pop up too high on the cartridge lifter, so they aren't positioned at the correct angle for the bolt to chamber them. According to the owner it was inherited in a non-working condition.
Does anyone have a parts diagram, patent drawing, or good photos of the internals on a working rifle? I believe this one was already worked on (and possibly messed up) by someone else but with no references it is slow going. I got it apart just fine but I'd like to know with more certainty if the some parts are worn/modified/bent/missing.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/22/14
Patent pictures. http://www.google.com/patents/US952206?dq=952206
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Stevens_425_basic_parts_pho#Post7640987

Post I did awhile back for some folks on the 425
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14
Karma that someone brings this post up as I just ran across a 425 the other day and wrote down the info to add to teh post and now I can't find it... I know that it was a 35Rem and recall that is was a 3xxx serial.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14
Recent auction sale of a 435, serial number 3844 - amoskeag-auction/103/700
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14

WOW
That is Sure a Pretty One.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14

Is there a Stevens 435?
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Is there a Stevens 435?

YES
The 425 Was Basic
the 435 Was Up Graded, Checkering and Engraving.
And There was One More I thought. Gene Knows.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14
To rich for my blood,and i already had a 435!! i need a 440 model !! crazy
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/23/14
So 425 basic model, 435 is actually upgraded 425? What's the 440?
440 Was Deluxe Wood Full Engraved Etc I Believe
STEVENS HIGH POWER RIFLE OWNERS: Please post your serial numbers and calibers on this forum rather than in a PM to me. I don't often check my Personal Messages so it just delays me getting your information.

THANKS!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/02/14
With so few 425's actually made can you imagine the number of 435's and 440's made?

I'm thinking under 100.
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/02/14
In the nineteen teens - around 1911 to 1914 - the basic rifle (model 425) sold for $20. The next step up (model 430) sold for $27.50. The next step up (model 435) with engraving on the receiver sold for $38.50. The top grade, the model 440 sold for $90. Given the 440 sold for over twice as much as the 435, it must have been stupendously fabulous cool
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
I think this was originally posted somewhere back a long way but would be hard to find -
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
A 435 just sold recently and I saw another 425 sell in the last few weeks... I wrote the number down somewhere but they may be long lost at this point. Both were in the typical range of serial numbers... I could probably find the 435 again... I recall it sold fairly reasonably.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
STEVENS HIGH POWER RIFLE OWNERS: Please post your serial numbers and calibers on this forum rather than in a PM to me. I don't often check my Personal Messages so it just delays me getting your information.

THANKS!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

Peter,

Could you provide an updated summary... total, quantities by caliber, by model, high and low serials, etc?

Thanks! The records are starting to get pretty numerous.
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
There is a term in the ad Gene posted I had not seen before: for both No. 435 and No. 440, "frosted breech block" is included cool
That picture was from a full Steven's product catalog - here is one from a Steven's pocket pocket catalog just for the 425 thru 440. Has scope mount info on one page, the scopes were dropped from catalog's before the rifle was, some catalogs even have the scope information counter-stamped as "discontinued". I also see another note with the scope info that I am not sure of the meaning - "Fitted with Pin Sights which are adjustable for elevation."
[Linked Image]

I also found the link to the 435 that sold didn't seem to work (I was looking to see if the 'frosting' on the breech block showed at all - nothing I can see. http://www.amoskeagauction.com/103/700.html

Here it sold again - I think in about three or four more auctions it's going to be mine! http://www.amoskeagauction.com/104/1556.html
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
Haha, yep, the price keeps dropping.

Gene, do we have any old pictures of one actually set up with the scope they offered?

I see the one you posted has had a Lyman #6 replacing the original rear sight, I don't think it was a special order option, correct?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/03/14
Wonder why Stroebel doesn't list those scopes in his book, probably no info on them except what you see right there on that page.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
I got a 435 and i dont remember anything special about the breechblock!!! i'll have to check next time in in the vault.
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
I got a 435 and i dont remember anything special about the breechblock!!! i'll have to check next time in in the vault.

Look for frost on it wink
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
Look for frost on it

And don't lick it if you see frost. grin
I learned that lesson the hard way back when i was a kid !!!! blush blush crazy
I assumed the exterior of the bolt was engine-turned but it will be interesting to find out. They may have had a unique way of doing it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
Could've been something similar to what A.O.Niedner did with bearing scrapers on Springfield and Mauser bolts on custom rifles. Kind of a wavy frosty look, the intent of which was to hold lubricating oil better than a highly polished surface.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
Has anyone tried to letter a 425 yet?
I answered my own question, the Stevens records were destroyed, I forgot.
O.K. guys i just went out and looked at my 435 bolt, Its engine turned with very small swirls probably 3/16" or smaller in diameter.
Gonna have to get the bride to put some pics up.
O.K. guys i just went out and looked at my 435 bolt, Its engine turned with very small swirls probably 3/16" or smaller in diameter.

But did your tongue stick to it confused
grin I didn't test it that well !! plus its a 60 degrees all the time in the vault. grin
grin I didn't test it that well !! plus its a 60 degrees all the time in the vault. grin

You got to set outside overnight!
Posted By: johno Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/04/14
Know nothing of these rifles, but there seems to be a nice on www.usedguns.com.au Its in 32 rem and looks nice condition, asking somewhere around $1,900AUD that would be around $1,600 USD
Just google the web sight and type in stevens, you will see it if interested

Johno
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/05/14
Originally Posted by johno
Know nothing of these rifles, but there seems to be a nice on www.usedguns.com.au Its in 32 rem and looks nice condition, asking somewhere around $1,900AUD that would be around $1,600 USD

Johno

JOHNO
That one is In Nice Shape from the Photo
STEVE
Posted By: boltman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/05/14
Originally Posted by 1899sav

Johno

JOHNO
STEVE

But no frost on the bolt frown
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/05/14
Originally Posted by 1899sav

Johno

JOHNO
STEVE

Sure looks nice.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/05/14
I think the "less than 1000 ever made" was a bit of BS.

Judging by our numbers there were only a little over 4000 made.

Amazing that with so few of them around one made it's way down under. I've got one with British proof marks all over it from a lend lease deal during the war, wondering if that one has the same.
Posted By: johno Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/05/14
Joe,

I will try and open a discussion with him and find out some more.

We do see the odd nice rifle turn up, take my checkered F, still the only one ive come across. We see some really nice Colt Lightnings, I sold a terrific condition carbine a few years back for $2,500.00

Johno
Posted By: teach64 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/14/14
1528 in 30-30 Rem.
Posted By: johno Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/14/14
I asked the gentleman for more photos but he was not forthcoming, he also maintains there only 1000 made. I know who's opinion I will stick with.

Johno
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/15/14
I think most who have looked for 425's would agree that less than 1000 made is not realistic, if that were true you would expect to see 5 times as many 1895's Savage's show up than 425's... and maybe substantially more because they were a high end gun and have had collector interest for a lot longer, suggesting a possibly higher survival rate.

My estimate several years ago, before the collection of serial numbers, was less than 10,000 based on other guns with known production numbers I had looked for, I certainly did not believe the 24,000 or so that some sources listed - less than 5000 based on the serial numbers that have been collected works for me from the numbers I have seen, under 1000 does not... but of course if I were selling one I wouldn't argue to hard if the buyer insisted there were less than 1000 made...
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/08/15
FOR THE DATA GUYS
Serial 279x in 32 REM
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/21/15
Asked the curator at the Birmingham munitions museum about the proof marks on my 35 Rem, this was his response.

Hi Joe,

Up to 1954 all foreign weapons imported into England and proven here were all stamped “ NOT ENGLISH MAKE “ one can only assume that it was imported from America

Prior to 1954 as the proof marks on your rifle were in use between the years 1925-1954.

I am sorry that I have no more information for you regarding lend lease, however if it had been I would have expected to see some form of military marking somewhere on the weapon.

Regards

Dave Evans

Curator
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/22/15
serial 4652 is 32 Rem.
Posted By: MacEntyre Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/02/15
Stevens 425 High Power has SN 4307 and is chambered in 35rem
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/23/15
Any chance of getting this thread pinned Rick?

No biggy if you don't want to, I realise the top of the page is pretty full, just thought it would be easier to find.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/24/15
Or put a link to it in the Misc. Good Info thread
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/24/15
Yes, if that is okay with everyone I'll put a link in the "Misc...".
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/02/15
Some more numbers

2545 32 cal
3057 30 cal

In looking for parts for 2545 listed above, I found these 3 parted out on eBay-

5350 cal not known
235x (last digit looks like a 9, or possibly an 8, it was not stamped well) cal not known link to eBay
2617 listed as 35 cal
Posted By: atlas2590 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/29/16
Thinking of purchasing a 425 Stevens .35 ser# 1972. He wants $1100.00 Canadian for it.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/29/16
For an opinion every one is gonna want pictures. Welcome to the site, Joe.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/30/16
Originally Posted by atlas2590
Thinking of purchasing a 425 Stevens .35 ser# 1972. He wants $1100.00 Canadian for it.

check for a flashing envelope on header bar

norm99
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 06/30/16
I'd like to a latest tally and update to this thread!?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/13/16
I know of one, but it's missing a couple of internal pcs (2 parts IIRC). Dunno if the gentleman wants to sell it or not. He likes cool old stuff and got it cheap, pretty clean.........cept for it needs parts that don't exist LOL.

He has NOT checked into making new replacement parts.
Dunno if he's gonna just keep it as is or not.

I think it was a .35 been a while since I saw it.
Will check this week.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 10/14/16
Let me know what he needs, I've got a few internals.
Posted By: Oldcarguy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/26/17
New member to this site. I have one of these old rifles. Got it from my dad many years ago. Did not realize it was sort of rare until recently. It appears to be Serial # 1698 as several pieces of the action have that number stamped into them. Also have one piece with 1710 stamped into it. I have it apart as the firing pin is broken and the action in the old gun is pretty worn. If anyone has any parts they will part with, please send me a PM. Thx
Posted By: Oldcarguy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/26/17
Oh yes, forgot to mention-calibre is 30 Remington
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/26/17
I sold most of my doubled parts but kept one set of everything just in case.

If you want to you can p.m. me and I'll give you the guys name that I sold the parts to, maybe he didn't use the firing pin. Parts for these guns are slim to none.
Posted By: Oldcarguy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/05/17
I've tried to PM you a couple times but am having trouble. Says I don't have all the fields filled in? If you have a moment, try PM'ing me and see if I get it. Thx

Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/05/17
Sent you one, watch for the flashing envelope at the top of your screen.
Posted By: iskra Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/05/17
Had my 425 since early seventies. Sacramento pawn shop acquisition. Very nice & clean, original shape. SN 1146, in 35 Rem. For several decades afterward and a lot of gun shows/gun shops, recall seeing only one other 425. Looked to be a cold reblue and not very presentable. Personal theory, relatively fewer of these on West Coast.

Just finished reading all 18 pages in this thread. Would be great if the SN list could be updated. That said, thanks so much to the multiple folks and few central actors for all the contributions here!

Last likely just another voice in also saying this Stevens 425 thread should really have its own category instead of falling under Savage! Far better coverage and likely accelerating results for this worthwhile project.

Again, Kudos and...
My take
Posted By: Rehabman Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 05/12/17
Hi to everyone.
I'm new to the thread. I've got a 425 to add to the list as well.
No. 2356 in 30 Rem.
Absolutely love my rifle, it's one I intend to keep. It's also got the peep sight on the tang.

Ken
Posted By: calgary60 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 07/16/17
I have a Stevens High Power 425 in 35 Remington caliber. It does not feed the cartridge properly. Favorite gunsmith is stumped.

Here's what is happening. As lever is worked,the carrier flutters letting the cartridge half way out of the magazine then stopping. When I bump the lever the carrier then drops back
down letting the cartridge proceed back and be levered into the chamber. We installed a new magazine spring so there is adequate spring pressure to feed the cartridge back.

Please help me. I do not have a history of this rifle but want it to work and go back to shooting whitetails.
Posted By: iskra Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/07/17
Question please:

mad_dog, are you at this forum helm or is it a ghost ship? smile smile smile
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/07/17
Still check in from time to time.
A little over a month ago my father passed, he was a life long gun enthusiast and had over 500 rifles( most of his life he kept an FFL) but I was given approx. 7-8 Stevens 425 high power rifles and 5 Savage model 99's.
the 425 High power serials I have here at the office are
3654 .35 REM
5144 30-30 REM
2563 30-30 REM
I will list the rest after church tonite but could I ask help on where to start about getting info on these and posibly the savages? thank you to anyone that can help.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/21/17
Sorry for your loss. Difficult time. My father passed in 1999 and I still think of him often.

Interesting lever guns those 425's. Wouldn't mind finding one myself sometime, just to roll around and look at.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/21/17
"...could I ask help on where to start about getting info on these and possibly the savages? thank you to anyone that can help."

Welcome to the site and thanks for the added data. The person that stated this post has not been back since Dec., 2014. Though the 425 is not a Savage the posting was found of interest by many members so it was made a Sticky and additional data slowly continues to come in.

The original question of how many were made seems to have been answered at around 5000 units. I don't remember seeing any listed with less than a four digit serial so probably stated at 1000 and stopped before 6000 (not positive of that as I did not review every page). What is known has probably been stated in the earlier pages.

You can post your Savage questions below as a new posting and we will answer whatever you would like to know.
I took a little road trip yesterday with my wife and we had the opportunity to see a Stevens 425 deluxe Aka Steven's 430.

I was given the OK to take a few pictures and post them here. The gun was pristine

.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/19/18
Nice gun but someone totally redid the poor thing, thats not Stevens checkering either.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/19/18
That is a nice looking gun,but i also think its a reworked 425,the higher grades had the number changed with each grade.The barrel should say 430 on it. my fancy checkered and line engraved rifle is stamped 435, i also dont think the checkering style is correct for a 430. Again a beautiful rifle just not stevens correct. Don
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/19/18
Good thing the owner wasn't selling, sounds like he would have had a buyer.

Beautiful rifle no matter what.
Posted By: brosin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/22/18
Good morning i have been reading this thread for some time. I decided to join i have 2 425s if your still collecting numbers first is in 25 rem. #4233 and second is in 35 rem. #3876 just got the 35 2 weeks ago fixing to shoot it this weekend
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/22/18
Thanks for signing up and posting.
Posted By: brosin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/22/18
Happy to do it. Are any of the folks keeping tabs on ser# ? there was one i bid on a while back on GB sold for 300.00 just a parts gun 25 rem. ser# 2431. I collect and repair old Winchesters for the most part, and my girl friend gives me grief from time to time. So when i got the 25 rem. i explained its not a Winchester, that went well. The latest one in 35 rem i told her its your new elk rifle, hope it don't kick her to hard this weekend. All kidding aside hope the 35 rem shoots well, plan on keeping both great calibers and just cool old lever guns.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/23/18
I've got a 25 and a 35 as well, the 35's don't kick that hard at all. A 99F in 300 Sav kicks harder.
Posted By: brosin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 03/26/18
Thanks for the reply mad dog. love the 35 very accurate and dialed in now with 200 grain hornady lever evolution. I can see a possibility of her putting down a elk with it, hits hard and recoil she can handle. The gun is a keeper. In addition on Saturday i won an auction for a 425 in 30 rem. its supposed to be parts gun, but is complete gun??? I wonder. So if any one is looking for parts i only need a couple for my 25 rem. just let me know if your looking. The ser# on the 30 is 4140 if any one is still keeping track, seems to me that none below 1000 and none above 5000 and change would suggest they are rare finds. In my opinion very fine and accurate rifles
Posted By: brosin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/17/18
The 30 rem. ser# 4140 is very much a clean but yet a parts gun, as the piece of so called gunsmith got to it first. All but receiver, lever and wood are in great shape. If anyone needs parts let me know. It will be up for parts on GB this fall
Posted By: johno Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 05/12/18
Interesting that you have s/n 2628. On an Australian sale a Stevens 452 in 32 rem with that s/n has just been listed fr sale, go to www.usedguns.com.au

Johno
Posted By: BillR Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 08/07/18
35 Remington #4614 was listed for sale in Canada on Gunnutz this morning. Not in very good condition.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/26/19
Saw one in 30-30 Remington at gun show today, but wasn’t able to see serial number. At $1100 and rather gray I didn’t bring it home.
Posted By: bigolddave Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/27/19
Calhoun, I could have made you a pretty good at Savage Fest.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/28/19
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Saw one in 30-30 Remington at gun show today, but wasn’t able to see serial number. At $1100 and rather gray I didn’t bring it home.

Was it stamped 30-30 Remington?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/28/19
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Was it stamped 30-30 Remington?

Yes, I think it had the entire word Remington. It definitely had the 30-30.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/28/19
So I am no expert in 425 Savages, but was this a common thing? As we all know there was a 30-30 Win (rimmed) and a 30 Remington (rimless).

Some very early model 8 Remingtons were stamped 30-30 Rem and 25-35 Rem and soon after changed to 30 Rem and 25 Rem to avoid confusion with the rimmed Winchester calibers. The early Remingtons stamped 30-30 Rem and 25-35 Rem bring a premium price. (kind of like the "30 Sav" stamp in our world"

Is this also the case with 425's?

Don't know.....
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 01/28/19
Mine are marked 35 Rem and 25 Rem.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/03/19
All 30 caliber 425's are stamped 30-30 Remington, I have 2 that way and have never seen any 30's stamped any different. The introduction date of the rifle was about the same year Remington changed the name but they must not of felt it necessary to make a new stamp for such a low production gun. One variation in the stamp is the addition of 'SOFT POINT' after the caliber, found with all 4 of the chamberings,some have it & some don't. It was not considered a good idea to use pointy bullets in a tube fed centerfire.
Posted By: Chrometip78 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/15/19
Anyone still collecting info on these? My wife recently inherited a 425 in 32 Rem but the barrel was originally a 30-30 Rem that is crossed out. Serial # 5190
Posted By: brosin Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 02/16/19
I check in from time to time, sounds like it may have been re bored. I think some one is still keeping ser. numbers. Thanks for adding your #. What condition is the bore in? I have 3 a 25 rem. a 35 rem. and a 30 30 rem parts gun the barrel is in great shape all parts are good except lever and but stock. Let me know if any body out there needs parts
Posted By: HDMopar Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/15/19
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies, I have a Stevens 425 in .35 Remington with the serial number 3543. It has a shotgun style butt stock and was wondering if this is original? I can't seem to find anything saying yes or no on this. Thank you. By the way, I'm up in the Northern Prairies in Western Canada.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 04/15/19
No it's not original.

How do I know? Because thats one of my old guns, I'm guessing you bought it off a guy named Wayne.
Posted By: wingman74 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/19
2109 in .25 remington. Long shot on an old post, anyone have a hammer for one of these? I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba btw
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/19
Checked my 425 parts, no hammer, did you try Western Gun Parts?

Why is this thread not stickied anymore?
Posted By: wingman74 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/30/19
I sent western gun parts an email, thanks for the recommendation mad dog
Posted By: wingman74 Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/19
no luck at western gun parts, tried numrich as well. Nada
Posted By: damnesia Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 12/31/19
I was unfamiliar with the 425s, what an awesome model to covet. I was content with one "Favorite" and now I've been introduced to more divorce fodder. Damn you lever gun sluts! laugh
Posted By: EChelton Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/10/23
I recently inherited a 425 in 35 Remington with serial number below 1030. It’s in about 75% condition. I can post pictures if this thread is still alive and someone is interested. Few free to message.
Always interested in seeing pictures, post them.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Stevens 425 High Power - 09/10/23
The Stevens 425 is a nice looking lever gun and one, like the 99, that may have made the easy transition into the world of scopes with its solid top and disappearing bolt mechanism, given Stevens worked out the bugs and that they were able to buck the then growing interest in bolt guns. I have only seen one Stevens 425 in my "gun wanderings", and that one was years at gun show here in Sacramento. I don't think we see anywhere near the range of antique firearms showing up at gun shops and show out west as you guys do back east.
© 24hourcampfire