Home
Posted By: 6mm250 Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
How much ammo does a 99 hunter carry in the woods with him ?
I don't mean how much ammo do you take to your camp or carry in your vehicle , but how much when you are in the woods ?
I take what the rifle holds , 6.

Mike
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
A magazine full + 5 extras in my pocket, plus 2 pipsqueek loads in a seperate pocket for coup d'grace shots if needed.

Only once did I need to dip into the spares. That was when I had to re-sight in a rifle out in the woods, using a candy wrapper on a tree for a target, after nutsing up a tang sight. (Glad I carry as many candy bars as I do spare cartridges. Hint: orange Reeses Cup wrappers make good targets!)
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
I take six.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Just what the 99 holds. Usually come home with 5, sometimes 6. whistle
Posted By: RAS Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Mike,

I fill up the gun. In MT, I take that plus another full box.

Jeff
Posted By: MNdeerSNIPER Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
i take 6... what the rifle holds. and 10 extra for a count of 16. and yet i have only needed 1 a deer
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
6 in the rifle, and a wallet of 10 more. Once I get out of the blind, I'm never sure how many are waiting to charge. Better safe than sorry.

grin
Posted By: mw406 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
I hunt some pretty remote country and it's always good to have a few extra rounds if you need to fire shots to help others find you. Ya never know. I carry a full magazine, five in a shell holder on my belt and 10 in my pack.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Most of the time 10, i have an old leather ammo carrier, and it hold 10, put half in the gun the other half for pic. of mind!
John
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
I take a rifle full and 20 extra. Ya never know what will happen!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
I take always 3 rounds in the rifle and 4 rnds in my pocket. I usually end up with 6 or 5 rnds not used,
any more than 2 shot's max i might as well hang it up and that is
how my dad thought me.
Steve
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
5 plus 2 in my pocket, for a total of 8.

wink smile
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Originally Posted by kenster99
5 plus 2 in my pocket, for a total of 8.

wink smile

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
u forgot to carry the 1.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Anybody else here cheap like me and carry leftover odds and ends ammo as finishers? PA has shotgun and rifle zones and I got started doing it when my preferred shot gun slugs got up to $18.00 a box of 5 (Winchester Partition Gold). Now I always take a few rounds of old ammo with me just in case I get a chance to use em up, even when I rifle hunt.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
total of 4 or 5 in the gun... I always check how well my guns cycle but seems as a whole that more have issues when they are completely full then when they are not... and I can not imagine needing more than 5 sgots and not having time to reload... I do carry 4 or 5 extra in my pocket...
Posted By: nash22 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Rifle capacity plus a shell holder of 10 for emergency use.

nash
Posted By: Jacks Pa Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Three. I hunt a very small tract (11 acres) and the truck is close by. Never shot more than one.
Posted By: Joe Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
5 in the rifle as I only have 40 acres to hunt. I've never shot more than 4 on any hunt for game.
Posted By: rgr223cal Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
Whatever the rifle holds... Nothing more...!!!

Mike....
Posted By: 303mike Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/02/09
I carry the magazine full and then maybe another dozen rounds. It's far better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...
Posted By: Dale K Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/03/09
4 rounds in the gun and 6 more in one of those red plastic Federal thingies.

Dale
Posted By: p2tharizo Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/03/09
Good thread! Very interesting how we all do it a little different for different reasons.

I always carry 2 in the mag, 1 in the pipe, and if I'm not planning on shooting (going back to camp, or what have you) I can open 'er up, put the chambered round back in the mag, and "slip close" the lever on an empty chamber. I also have a little mag pouch on my belt that carries 10 that I always have on me.
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/03/09
6 in the 99 and a couple loose in pockets. If all else fails I can use the 99R to defend myself the old fashioned way. Like a club!

The really nice thing about the R is that the stock is so thick that you can inlet a hand held Garmin GPS unit in the butt stock without blowing through. Much better than a plain jane compass. Try that with a barrel band carb.
PS. Extra batteries are stored under the butt plate.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/03/09
15. Five in the gun and 10 on my belt. Having spare ammunition is just like having a gun. Its better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it. wink grin
Posted By: DeerDad Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/03/09
My .300 Savage made in 1941 holds 6. Plus I have 4 in my pocket and whatever's left in a box of 20 in my back pack. Like the feller above says, when you are in the woods, you never know what can happen.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
6 in the 99 and a couple loose in pockets. If all else fails I can use the 99R to defend myself the old fashioned way. Like a club!

The really nice thing about the R is that the stock is so thick that you can inlet a hand held Garmin GPS unit in the butt stock without blowing through. Much better than a plain jane compass. Try that with a barrel band carb.
PS. Extra batteries are stored under the butt plate.

Jim
When are you going to market with the concept! grin grin
Too funny!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
Heck, why not add a flask inside the stock also? Fit a little spigot on the outside for easy dispensing? If you're that lost that you need a GPS then a "wee dram of the Old Nasty" would be helpful too!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Heck, why not add a flask inside the stock also? Fit a little spigot on the outside for easy dispensing? If you're that lost that you need a GPS then a "wee dram of the Old Nasty" would be helpful too!

Gary
Never while Huntin.But the concept is good. grin
"BUT I AM GOING TO BREAK OUT THE FLASK TONIGHT! And hoist a Few to my Dad.
Steve
Posted By: 21 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
I pride myself on one shot kills. Still, not having enough ammo, somewhere along the line, has been a problem for someone. Having too much probably has'nt been. 4 or 5 in the rifle, a few in my pocket, the rest of a box full in the truck. I dont hunt particularly rugged or remote territory though.
Posted By: docost99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
4 in the mag, 1 in the chamber and 5 in my pocket. The 5 in my pocket jingle when I walk in and out in the dark to scare the bears away like those little bells the hikers in Kaliforny wear. If you're ever walking in the woods and find bear chit with .300 Sav rounds in it, then you know what happened to me!
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
I'm in the patent app process now. I want Les to be my spokesman.

I'll hoist a cold one to your Dad's memory tonight. I'm blest to have my Dad in this world. Looking forward to hunting with him in a just under 2 weeks.
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/04/09
Load em up with 180s and you'll be fine Brian. Now with that 250-3000......it might be another story.

Jim
Tnx. Hunt as Much as you can,,and spend the time,,,I always spent 10 Hours a day,,and all the time we could in the field and in the woods.
Always Had the Best of times and ton's of stories that keep me together.
But it's hard at some day's but life isn't always easy.
Tnx Bud. I'll watch for the patent.[/b] grin
Posted By: 300jimmy Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/05/09
Steve:

It's Miller Time. A toast to Dad and dads everywhere that make a positive difference in their kids lives.

Talked to Dad tonight and the rut is on. He saw two sixes while on his way into the woods this morning. 11 days to the MI Opener.

Sorry for the hi-jack. Cheers.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/05/09
Jimmy
17 Days until Wisconsin.
I'm Ready,,and Old-George-Skidrow gonna keep me company for a day or 2 again this year.
Toast and Cheers to all dad's.
Steve
Posted By: docost99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/05/09
Steve, is George headed over toward Marinette at all?
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/05/09
Originally Posted by docost99
Steve, is George headed over toward Marinette at all?

Brian
I don't Know,,he Hunt's Hazel Hurst,,,And Coming By Me for a Day or 2 Like On Monday?
I Know He has relatives in the U.P.!
Ya Gotta Ask Him
We're gonna Have Dinner Friday Night Befor Opener at Marty's Place On 51
Steve
Posted By: grousehunter Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
I'm a somewhat new savage 99 owner. Can someone explain how they get six in the gun? Or do some only take 5. I can only fit 5 in the rotary mag. And I can't stick one in the pipe with a full mag because of the feed. my rotor only seems to hold 5. Am I doing something wrong?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
Should be able to put five into the mag and push the fifth one down enough to feed one into the chamber and close the bolt.

Might be yours isn't tensioned right. Unless you're a really bad shot and need 6, I'd just stick with 5. grin
Posted By: norm99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
loaded gun five in pocket 20 in truck .Ihunt alone most of the ,some pretty rough country at times ..in thetruck extra food water blankets survival gear like a lot of them say seldom to much nevar to little.norm
grin crazy
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
6 in the rifle, 4 more in a leather cartridege holder so they don't clink around loose in my pocket.

One time when I was 17 and considerably more prone to buck fever, I emptied my old 12 gauge shotgun at a tremendous rut-stupid buck, with five shots ranging from 50 to 80 yards (this was in the days before rifled barrels and scopes on deer shotguns). After the gun was safely empty, the buck went back to chasing a hot doe around the corn stubble in front of me, coming as close as 30 yards at one point. That was the last morning that of my hunting career that I didn't bring a few extra shells with me.

Rod
Posted By: Savage_284 Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
Usually a rifle full, which is 5 in the 284, and dads old knife belt I believe has enough slots for 1.5 boxes, but I usually only carry 20 on it. Can't imagine going to the hills (6000 - 14000ft elev.) with less than a box of shells?

Depends what I'm hunting, this last season I had tags for deer, elk and bear. . . . . Got a small buck . . . . used 2 of the 25 rounds. Passed on 3 small bulls, I did get alot of exercise though. Saw a bear the next season.
Originally Posted by grousehunter
I'm a somewhat new savage 99 owner. Can someone explain how they get six in the gun? Or do some only take 5. I can only fit 5 in the rotary mag. And I can't stick one in the pipe with a full mag because of the feed. my rotor only seems to hold 5. Am I doing something wrong?

284 only holds 4 in rotary + 1 in chamber, cuz it's a fatso.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
His 99 is a 300 Savage, so it should be able to fit 6. But, again.. who really needs all 6? Oftentimes I'll just load up 5 so that I can open the bolt and push all 5 down so that I can set the rifle down and do something.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
I only put 5 in myself.

In 30+ years of hunting can't ever remember shooting all 5 and wishing I had the 6th one in. I've shot the gun dry at different times at running deer during deer drives, but by the time the 5th one went down the barrel, the 6th one wasn't going to make the difference.

What I like about 5 is you can push them all down in the magazine and then close the bolt on an empty chamber for safety sake when you are taking a break or walking in line, chatting with other hunters etc., etc.

Randy

Posted By: 300Savage Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
I only take 5 rounds in the 99 rifle in Michigan to sit all day in the blind. However 8 years ago Mule deer hunting in Colorado near Hot Sulfur Springs a member of our hunting group got lost late afternoon and early evening. We had two way radios and with his rifle blasts every 5 minutes we were able to triangulate his postion and move him back to the truck. He was prepared to spend the night, yes he did have a GPS but his battery went out. That has been the only time hunting in over 40 years that I saw a real need for extra ammuntion. He was carrying two full clips for a BAR and used every cartridge except two that he help back in case of Mountain lions or bears which wher in the area.
Originally Posted by 300Savage
. . . with his rifle blasts every 5 minutes we were able to triangulate his postion and move him back to the truck. He was prepared to spend the night, yes he did have a GPS but his battery went out. .

This may be one reason why I carry so many, when I first started hunting, there were no radios, GPS, etc, So we used to just touch one off every time someone else did, so everyone knew where everyone was, etc. Kinda wierd huh? Anyone "lost" would fire three in quick procession, the others would fire back one, unless they were also lost, etc. If everyone was lost it sounded like a small war, HA. Eventually they would all get together and be lost with company.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/09/09
So that explains all the shooting I hear on opening day! Poor lost souls, those babes in the woods!

I think this year I won't take any cartridges into the woods with me. As an extension of the catch-and-release fly fishing I do, I think I'll take deer hunting to the next level. When I get the bead on one I'll just yell "bang!", and go back to eating a candy bar. Not.
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
So that explains all the shooting I hear on opening day! Poor lost souls, those babes in the woods!

I think this year I won't take any cartridges into the woods with me. As an extension of the catch-and-release fly fishing I do, I think I'll take deer hunting to the next level. When I get the bead on one I'll just yell "bang!", and go back to eating a candy bar. Not.

Gary
Just Might be Your Luck when ya go Bang he or she falls over dead! grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09

Wonder if Skidrow would have to keep yelling "Bang" until it fell over?? grin
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
Ouch! Now that really hurts! Bang! Bang! Bang.... grin The problem with Steve's stands is that the windows are too narrow. After the second shot I've got to open another window and lean outside. Pretty much negates the purpose of the stand. Man, I hate banging my rifle against the window frame! grin
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
Wise man, that LBK.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Wise man, that LBK.

I don't know what I did or said that would make me deserving of a statement such as that. I've been called many things over the years, but "wise" isn't normally one of them. But, thank you. I appreciate it. smile smile smile
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
Wise guy?!
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
That's better!!!!!!!!!! grin grin
Posted By: crowmagnum Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/10/09
A little Tuesday humor. Thanks...I needed that. Terrific double
entendre by the way.
Posted By: grousehunter Re: Hunting Ammo ? - 11/11/09
figured it out. got to push the 6th shell down and hold in place with thumb while advancing the lever forward with your other fingers. make sure the bolt catches it just so and all 6 are in. takes a little finesse with the mitts. Thanks. yeah its a 300.
© 24hourcampfire