-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
loaded gun five in pocket 20 in truck .Ihunt alone most of the ,some pretty rough country at times ..in thetruck extra food water blankets survival gear like a lot of them say seldom to much nevar to little.norm
grin crazy

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6 in the rifle, 4 more in a leather cartridege holder so they don't clink around loose in my pocket.

One time when I was 17 and considerably more prone to buck fever, I emptied my old 12 gauge shotgun at a tremendous rut-stupid buck, with five shots ranging from 50 to 80 yards (this was in the days before rifled barrels and scopes on deer shotguns). After the gun was safely empty, the buck went back to chasing a hot doe around the corn stubble in front of me, coming as close as 30 yards at one point. That was the last morning that of my hunting career that I didn't bring a few extra shells with me.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Usually a rifle full, which is 5 in the 284, and dads old knife belt I believe has enough slots for 1.5 boxes, but I usually only carry 20 on it. Can't imagine going to the hills (6000 - 14000ft elev.) with less than a box of shells?

Depends what I'm hunting, this last season I had tags for deer, elk and bear. . . . . Got a small buck . . . . used 2 of the 25 rounds. Passed on 3 small bulls, I did get alot of exercise though. Saw a bear the next season.

Last edited by Savage_284; 11/09/09.

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by grousehunter
I'm a somewhat new savage 99 owner. Can someone explain how they get six in the gun? Or do some only take 5. I can only fit 5 in the rotary mag. And I can't stick one in the pipe with a full mag because of the feed. my rotor only seems to hold 5. Am I doing something wrong?

284 only holds 4 in rotary + 1 in chamber, cuz it's a fatso.

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His 99 is a 300 Savage, so it should be able to fit 6. But, again.. who really needs all 6? Oftentimes I'll just load up 5 so that I can open the bolt and push all 5 down so that I can set the rifle down and do something.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only put 5 in myself.

In 30+ years of hunting can't ever remember shooting all 5 and wishing I had the 6th one in. I've shot the gun dry at different times at running deer during deer drives, but by the time the 5th one went down the barrel, the 6th one wasn't going to make the difference.

What I like about 5 is you can push them all down in the magazine and then close the bolt on an empty chamber for safety sake when you are taking a break or walking in line, chatting with other hunters etc., etc.

Randy

Last edited by 99guy; 11/09/09.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only take 5 rounds in the 99 rifle in Michigan to sit all day in the blind. However 8 years ago Mule deer hunting in Colorado near Hot Sulfur Springs a member of our hunting group got lost late afternoon and early evening. We had two way radios and with his rifle blasts every 5 minutes we were able to triangulate his postion and move him back to the truck. He was prepared to spend the night, yes he did have a GPS but his battery went out. That has been the only time hunting in over 40 years that I saw a real need for extra ammuntion. He was carrying two full clips for a BAR and used every cartridge except two that he help back in case of Mountain lions or bears which wher in the area.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 300Savage
. . . with his rifle blasts every 5 minutes we were able to triangulate his postion and move him back to the truck. He was prepared to spend the night, yes he did have a GPS but his battery went out. .

This may be one reason why I carry so many, when I first started hunting, there were no radios, GPS, etc, So we used to just touch one off every time someone else did, so everyone knew where everyone was, etc. Kinda wierd huh? Anyone "lost" would fire three in quick procession, the others would fire back one, unless they were also lost, etc. If everyone was lost it sounded like a small war, HA. Eventually they would all get together and be lost with company.

Last edited by Savage_284; 11/09/09.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So that explains all the shooting I hear on opening day! Poor lost souls, those babes in the woods!

I think this year I won't take any cartridges into the woods with me. As an extension of the catch-and-release fly fishing I do, I think I'll take deer hunting to the next level. When I get the bead on one I'll just yell "bang!", and go back to eating a candy bar. Not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So that explains all the shooting I hear on opening day! Poor lost souls, those babes in the woods!

I think this year I won't take any cartridges into the woods with me. As an extension of the catch-and-release fly fishing I do, I think I'll take deer hunting to the next level. When I get the bead on one I'll just yell "bang!", and go back to eating a candy bar. Not.

Gary
Just Might be Your Luck when ya go Bang he or she falls over dead! grin

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Wonder if Skidrow would have to keep yelling "Bang" until it fell over?? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ouch! Now that really hurts! Bang! Bang! Bang.... grin The problem with Steve's stands is that the windows are too narrow. After the second shot I've got to open another window and lean outside. Pretty much negates the purpose of the stand. Man, I hate banging my rifle against the window frame! grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wise man, that LBK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crowmagnum
Wise man, that LBK.

I don't know what I did or said that would make me deserving of a statement such as that. I've been called many things over the years, but "wise" isn't normally one of them. But, thank you. I appreciate it. smile smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wise guy?!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's better!!!!!!!!!! grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A little Tuesday humor. Thanks...I needed that. Terrific double
entendre by the way.

G
G
figured it out. got to push the 6th shell down and hold in place with thumb while advancing the lever forward with your other fingers. make sure the bolt catches it just so and all 6 are in. takes a little finesse with the mitts. Thanks. yeah its a 300.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.