Home
Well, another year has come and gone. It is always interesting to see who is still here so sign in please and tell us about yourself and what you are interested in. If you were on the old Gun & Knife board put that in, also. One posting per person, please. I'll count heads when people stop posting.

I'm Rick Edmonds. I've been doing this since about 2000. Was "Sav99age" on the old G&K board. I've been collecting since the late 60's. Started on Winchesters but slowly switched to Savage. Now it's 1895/1899/99, Savage pistols and Savage .22's upto the early 60's. I had a lot of help in the beginning from D. Murrary's book on the "99" and people like Jed, Ralph and all the past and present board members who supplied data to help answer those never ending questions that come up.

Thanks to all who make this a great site and a big "thank you" to Rick Bin for the 24HourCampFire! Let the 2010 sign-in begin...
Mike here, signing in again...!!! Just love my 99's, Hunting, & cooking on the Smoker...!!! grin grin grin

Mike...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/new002-3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/new001-2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/new001.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/new0044.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/rgr223cal/new005.jpg[/img]
Rory here, apparently along with the other insomniacs. grin

I like shooter quality Savage 99's, starting to get into the pistols, deer hunting, shooting in general, need to do more fishing and camping, and far more other things than I have time for.

[Linked Image]
I'm here and got a new camera for Christmas..maybe some good pictures later. I do like my 99's but stray pretty bad at times. Unlike most folks on the forum, I'm not a deer hunter..sorry, just not interested. I do like to turkey hunt and will go out of my way to shoot a coyote.

Roger (AKA Elwood)
I accumulate Savage rifles, mostly 22's right now. I'm more a shooter than a hunter but enjoy taking rifles and shotguns for walks.
99Trix here, north of the 49th. Been collecting savages for just over 5 years. Goes back to my father's hunting buddy and seeing what I thought was the neatest rifle without a hammer! Most of my collection arrived in 2007 and 2008. Hoping to add a few beauties in 2010!

Blair
Sign me up again! been into savage 1899/99s for 5-6 years, was into single shot rifles for a long time before. was at the 1st & 2nd Savage Fests, Im more of a hunter/ shooter than a collector, as 99s come & go, a few stick around tho! I met two very good buddies on here, and alot of others, i call friends! Also love Treeman hand made knives made here in Michigan.[Linked Image] Hope all have a Happy New year!
Howdy all.

Started shooting lever guns when they were cheaper 40 yrs ago. Wish I kept more when I had the chance. Love anything that goes boom but older levers are my favorite. Just starting to realize in the last 3 yrs just what a fine lever gun Savage made. Got a couple in .38-55 and still looking for more Savage levers. Got a lot to learn from ya'll. I love all the feedback.

A Happy New Year to all

Tim
Well i been hanging around here quite a long time, seen a lot of people come and go. Been a pretty good bunch to hang out with, i collect all kinds of firearms, along with antique logging equipment,hope to be around for a long while yet!!! grin got the vault pretty full getting more fussy on my collecting as i get older! Don
MD here, have owned Savages for well over 20 years but didn't get into collecting them till about 7 or 8 years ago. Been dabbling in all Savage firearms for the last 3 years as well. Pistols...shotguns....rimfires....anything old. I actually find the old tang sights and other sights more fun to play with than the guns they go on more and more these days. When I'm not cleaning and oiling old guns I'm out on my sled in the winter, hunting at either my deer camp or at the moose camp with the rest of my buddies. Go away alot with my portable asphalt plant but always have a rod and reel in the control room for them slow days.

And I'm the most sarcastic SOB around this site.....well, since RAM left anyways. Just don't ever take it to heart, it's the internet.
Happy New Year to you all.I have been collecting savages for 20 years now.I love to hunt with them,308w 99-f still my go to rifle.Cheers bubba69.
Happy to be checking in for 2010. Came over from the old G&K board. Enjoy Savage pistols, rifles and memorabilia as well as deer and upland game hunting. I owe many thanks to many people here for helping me learn more about Savage over the years.
Reminder. All board members are invited and welcome to the SavageFest2010 in Marengo, Ohio on October 1st and 2nd 2010. Good people, good food and a chance to see and learn more about Savage.
Good morning and "Happy New Year" to all.
Big fan of the "99" I have a few now,fell in love with them at first sight!

I don't hunt,was never taught but I do shoot!

I have "Shooter Grade" Savages.

Dave Miller
Present sir!!!!!!!!!!! I've been into Savages since about 1974 when my father in law gave me my first. 99E in .358.

[Linked Image]

It all happened because of a conversation I had with my Dad when I was 16. We were hunting and came across a hunter on stand who was cradling a 99 in .300. Dad said it was the best rifle ever and he wanted to own one. His left hand was crippled from a papermill accident and he only shot semi-autos.

I now have about 30 Savages. Not all 99's but the majority are. I am not a collector. I don't pay enought attention to detail to be one. I like to have a rough idea about the gun's past, but don't make it a priority. None of my guns are pristine, although I have several that are nice enough to stay at home. Except for those few, ALL of the others kill deer on a regular basis. Happy New year everyone.

[Linked Image]
I have been here since old Gun&Knife forum. Check in most days to see if anything interesting on forum. Been collecting 1895 Savages and MHG muskets, mostly. Lately been getting into late 19th century cartridge revolvers. Been thinning my savages to finance my new interest. I'm semi-retired. Been married to same tolerant woman for close to 50 years! I enjoy Gun Shows, Mule Deer and Elk hunting with my sons and grandkids. Life has treated me pretty good. Been lucky! In fact, the harder I worked, the luckier I got! ......Dick
Happy New year! yada, yada, I'm in the Adirondacks, have been dealing Savages since the 70's. I like Utica Savages, 99f's from the 50's, I can't stand any post-mils, 22hp's, and or anything
non-original. I have a scope on a 308 and may put one on a 358,
generally if I want a scope gun, go for my 77rl.

I think I was prgoodwin on the g&k board.

Fred here been collecting savage 99's and other savage's Here in Az.,Nev.,and Or. for about 2 1/2 years. Got a gun show in Mesa this weekend. Can hardly wait to see what I can find.
Randy here. I am fairly new to the forum, but have enjoyed my tenure here. I am a Upstate New York guy transplanted to SE Pa. Sure don't miss that snow! As long as I can remember the only thing I have ever wanted to do was work and play outside. I have really only gotton hooked on 99's in the past year or so. I prefer pre-mil F's and G's, although I do have 2 nice EG's and a post mil 284. I consier myself a hunter first, shooter second and collector third. That being said I'm really not interested in anything that is too nice to hunt.

When I am not hunting or working at the tree farm I manage, I enjoy coaching my kids athletic teams.

Randy
GW here been around the past year found this site while researching 99's. Stayed just to see who Mad-Dog would bite next. grin Enjoy the pursuit of vintage firearms, pocketwatches, wristwatches. Retired and live thirty miles NE of Bass Pro corporate headquarters, Springfield, Mo. Enjoy the friendship and banter shared on the campfire. Goal this year is to learn more about the Savage firearms line, find a nice 99 at a garage sale, and watch for Mad-Dogs next victim. laugh GW
Monk here,

I'm a newbie to the site as I just joined in late 2009 but I find myself checking and reading the posts now almost daily. Just bought my first 99 about a month ago and my wife found a copy of Murray's book for Christmas.
I've been enamoured with old lever rifles since an old Vet. that I used to hunt with showed me his old 99 years ago, and I look forward to expanding my collection in 2010.
Been on the campfire since Feb 2008. Have "talked" to a lot of good people here. Have been into hunting type Savages, especially 99's, since late in 2008. Kind of gets to you. I like to hunt, fish and travel. I own a jewelry store that keeps me busy in late Nov and Dec, but it allows me to do some fun things as well. I have learned alot from the guys here as well as a lot of laughs here too. Thanks to all of the good people here for keeping it educational and entertaining. Best forum on the Net. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year. Jim
Still here , still collecting Savage 1899-99's , have 18 now. Still looking for a decent 30-30 for the right price.See a lot of overpriced junk out there. Gun shops in New Jersey are slowly disappearing. Past couple of years (4) have closed up.
Happy New year to all Pete Yuro
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Gents..... Ron Tateman, Sr. here aka "Ron T."...

I've enjoyed shooting since I was 7 years old, hunting since I was 13 years old, reloading since I was in my early "20's"... and I'll be 74 next month and still doing all three.

I've been a member of this Forum almost 7 years and enjoy helping other Savage owners by doing my best to answer their questions about hunting or reloading... or by helping them determine the age and value of their Model 99s just as a fella did for me when I first started coming to the 24-Hour Campfire and the Savage Collector's Forum.

I'm not actually a Model 99 "collector"... only own one (a 1953 EG in .300 Savage), but the one I own is my primary hunting rifle and I honestly believe the Model 99 is "THE" ultimate eastern deer rifle.

I admire and enjoy accurate, high-quality rifles... and the Model 99 Savage has both attributes plus it is also very pleasing to the "eye", especially the models with the schnoble tip on their fore ends like the EGs.

I'm not sure, but it's possible I'm the Savage Collectors Forum's oldest member at age 74 (next month). However, I still enjoy pretty good general health. As a result, I'm still fairly active, go shooting 'most every week (weather permitting) at my Club's shooting range and still go to and participate in deer camp for a week or 10 days every year.

I've met (on line) a good many truly fine gentlemen here in the Forum... and have to say that most of you who attend the Savage Collector's Forum are men made of the "right stuff"... and I'm glad to call you "friend". smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! I have been collecting guns since the mid '60's and have always been interested in those that are uncommon, my collection is a real hodge-podge (is that spelled right??? crazy) of unrelated oddities - a local dealer described me as collecting "those oddball guns nobody else gives a **** about". I got my first Savage pump 22 in the mid '70's and my second in 2004. I started doing reseach on them and found there was very little good information available; that got my curiosity up and I have been trying to learn what I can about them since. I have found the group here to be a big help and hope I also have been some help in return. The thing I like best about the Savage 22 pumps it that you never know what you might find, variations are for the most part undocumeted.
I was a member of the Gun&Knife forum and JDL, IIRC, was my handle. I've bought, sold, traded, shot, and hunted with 99's since 1976 and have just a very small collection with the best being a "T" that I bought from a very dear friend. The rest are hunter grade (only one is grey) and most are chambered in .300 Savage caliber, which IMO, is the best for my use. I do have one very earily post mil, a .308 DL, that was going to be remodeled to .358 but, it shoots too good to be messed with.
Happy New Year to all!
Hi,
I have a nice .250-3000 my uncle gave me before he passed away ten years ago. It's in great condition and was untapped with the Lyman peep sight. Before I found this place, I had a 3-9 Leupold put on and have taken some nice deer. Little did I know the best guns go untapped.It's ok, because I'll never sell the gun.
I let my nephew use it when he killed his 1st deer with a 100yd bang-flop. The gun will be his someday even though he has his own 7mm mag now.
I've enjoyed this web site and appreciate you guys who have helped with advice.
Happy New Year.
Checking in, I'm a collector of Savages, just not collector grade. I like to shoot my rifles rather than set and look at them. My latest came in yesterday. An 1899A in 38-55. Trying to find one of each caliber. Been here for about 6 years and have learned a wealth of info. When not trying to keep the lights on, I enjoy the outdoors, deer and elk hunting and looking for Savage rifles.
Hoping you all have a Happy New Year.

Kelly
Are you far enough North to be able to chase Spruce Grouse?
Still here. Started my Savage collection with a 99K handed down from my dad. My grandfather bought it new. Some day it will belong to my son. I now have 5 99's and hunt them all. I wouldn't own a gun I coundn't hunt.

Enjoy reading post and contribute on the rare occasion.
Joined the fire in March 2008 . . . bought my first 99 from a fellow member in July 2008 and have been hooked ever since. I now own 4 99's and love every one of them. My love for firearms started at a young age shooting my dad's Marlin 39, and my appreciation for a good lever action eventually led me to the 99. I've learned a lot just reading the forum and have been the beneficiary of some very helpful and timely advice.

Happy New Years.
One of the original G&K members and followed the herd over here. Don't have a huge collection, just like all the Savage lever guns and have no real bias - they're all good.

I enjoy picking up Stith parts and putting the sets together. Sights and other goodies too. It's all about the hunt...
Cant read but I like to look at the pictures, so you can count me ant the ocelot.
[Linked Image]
Happy New Year all! Wayne Bishop, got my first 99, an HP 22 that needed TLC when my best friend and fellow band mate passed away at 44. His wife offered it to me, and having no idea what I was about to get into, took it. Have a 52 EG in about 95%. Always lurking, just not posting too much. An old friend once said, "don't open your mouth unless you have something worthwhile to say."

Glad to just read the posts.

Blitz
Hi all,

Don't get into this forum very often but enjoy it when I do. You folks have been very helpful when I have had questions over the years.
I have been casually collecting 99F's (1950's) for a number of years and finally stopped at around a dozen. Do a little deer hunting and do a lot less deer shooting (deer herd in Northern Maine is in tough shape).

Steve from N.H. (Seaside)
Ol' Griz and first deer with grandpa's .30 Rem circa 1951. Been here watchin' and learnin' trying to educate myself on these wonderful 99's since 2004.
[Linked Image]
TomT checking in. Happy New Year fellow Savage loonies (and I mean that in the best way).

I am also a transfer from the old G&K forum to our "new" home on the 24HRCF (circa 2002???). I was given my first 99F by my dad when I was 13 (late 70's) and I've been "accumulating" ever since. My rifles are just hunter grade, but I love them anyway. I also collect other rifles & handguns, and I enjoy fresh & saltwater fishing/boating as much as I do guns & hunting.

I had the pleasure of meeting many of you at the 2007 Savagefest at Jed & Laurens family farm, and it was great to exchange information with my fellow Savage collectors.

Best to all in 2010 for a Happy & Healthy year!!!!!! -TomT
Bought my first 99 Savage five years back and found this forum shortly thereafter. Learned a lot from the Murrays and by attending the first two Savagefests. Got a whole new education in guns by meeting some of the deans of this institute in person.

Me, personally? I'm more of a hunter/shooter/accumulator than a pure collector. I really enjoy the 250-3000s in the 1899/99s, the Model 1920s and the new Model 14s. Lately, my interests have shifted again. I've been picking up more early Ithaca 37s featherweights and Remington bolt guns but I still find the odd Savage carbine that comes home with me. wink
Good morning--

I've been learning here on a daily basis for the last three years. I came to Savages after collecting Winchesters for many years. My interest now is now primarily in 99s--shooting them and hunting with them. Also still have an eye for old Winchesters, and Marble's knives.

I've met a few of the members here at gun shows and elsewhere, and I hope to attend the Fest this year to meet more of you. Unlike most of the web forums around, this site is blessed with some real experts who have been very generous about sharing what they've learned over the years. I'm very thankful for this.

Happy New Year, guys.

Rod
Happy New Year, Mike here. I've been collecting shooter 99s for several years and enjoy deer hunting with the old ones w/tang sights. Pa allows bonus doe tags - I had 4 this year so I get to use different 99s throughout the season. May every one have a great 2010!
Happy New Year, everyone. Brian Osterberg checking in from Northern Wisconsin. I'm slowly building a small collection of 99s to shoot. I have learned a ton here in the last few years with the largest portion coming from the Midwest Fest this past fall.
I enjoy chasing whitetails with both the bow and a selection of 99s, muskie fishing, and coaching youth baseball. I support these addictions with a small town chiropractic practice.

Brian
Chip checking in. Been on the board since 2004.I lived and breathed guns my whole life but didn't really get interested in Savage 99's until 2004 when I bought a little 303 carbine that was made in 1899. Didn't know too much about 99's, even though I had sold lots of them during my gun shop days. But I have learned a lot on this board.
Retired USAF,been out since 1975. Used to like hunting, but this year made me stop after open heart surgery.Ron T says he will be 74 next month, well Ron I'll be 74 this month. I hope 2010 will be a better year for our country.
Bruce here, still lurking and learning. Hope all have a happy New Year
Hello to all not so much a collector was always whats new and flashy. But now I like old and classy.I truly love my 405 but have come to really admire the 99's. I have learned alot here and check this forum first, Hope to get to a fest one day.A happy and healthy 2010 to all!!! Steve....
This my first sign in , so yes I'm new, although I've been eaves dropping for a couple of years prior to becoming a member.
I've been reloading for almost 30 years now and during that time I relized that many fine rifle chambering where becoming obsolete and many guns were being made cheaper, so these older guns became my interest. I got my first 99 12 years ago, but it's been in the family since it was new.I now have 3, 300 R, 250-3000 F, and 303 H carbine. Now that all of my kids are through college I hope to have more soon.

Lee
Good morning, bigolddave here.

I first developed an interest in Savage 99's when I saw a collectors' organization display at the NRA Annual Meeting in Chicago in 1966. Did not pursue it until having a chance to pick up a nearly new EG in .300 when Door County, WI went to shotgun only for deer. Ended up trading that one back and forth with a friend for several years, until it finally got away. Later got a pretty nice scoped .300 EG from the same friend, and have hung on to it. Since have picked up a first year .250-3000 with some special features, a 30-30 T, another EG, this time in .250, and a gray rat A in .303.

Have managed to get my deer hunting and trapshooting buddy hooked, so now I will have competition. Not fair--he sells safes at all the area gun shows, so he'll be seeing them before I do.

I may not be the oldest on the forum, but it feels like it. Two hernia surgeries two years apart set me back physically, not that I ever was much!
Hi all. I came over from the old G&K with the rest of the refugees and have been here ever since. I've enjoyed the forum and enjoyed even more meeting those members that I've had the opportunity to meet face to face. Hell, one of you fellas even talked me into moving 2/3 of the way across the country. grin Bought some new property but still working on that one. wink frown
Rob checking in from West Virginia. I like hunting fishing and reloading when time permits. Recent surgery has allowed me plenty of time for internet surfing. Really like this sight the best. Got my first 99 by chance and really like it. Have acquired a few since. Public and private interactions with members here have furthered my interest and education. Also discovered trap shooting recently and I'm hooked.
Scott here near Joplin, Missouri. Started my internet outdoor days on the old Outdoor Life forums in 1998, moved on to huntamerica, before making the campfire my home base so to speak. smile

Only have the one 99, a shooter .300 EG, but a shooter in .250 is on my want list. Dad posts here some, ole_270, he's got a 1953 vintage R in .250. We both carried them this year for deer, but never saw anything with them in our hands, but they've been used successfully in the past.
Still here - still waiting to smack something with the EG. Maybe this year! (I live in a no centerfire rifle area)
Still here in MA.

Would have checked in earlier but I've been out shopping for a pink Hummer..... grin

Harry M.
Happy New Year to all! I found my way to the "24" through the net a few years back. I wouldn't call me a candidate for the show "Horders" but I've been known to accumulate Remington 788's, 1100's & 3200's as well as left hand 700's. I've been picking up 99's since the late '70's when my grandad's brother gave me his take down 25-35. I also accumulate kinfolks knives, S&W K series and any other associated paraphanalia.
Roy here from West Virgina. Picked up my 1st a few years ago at a gun show, an octogon barrel in 303. Hooked ever since. Have owned 14 and currently have 3 and 1 more on the way.Im more hunter than collecter and was lucky enough to take a couple deer this year with them. Still mostly lurking and learning and having fun!
Jim here, 25 years in Georgia by way of western New York originally. Pretty much a pre '64 Winchester guy, we always had an old 99 in the family that was my step grandads. It was the "loaner" if someone needed a rifle. No one thought much about it---but I was always partial to it and considered the odd man out because of it. Bought my first 99 back in 1979 or so, a .358 brushgun. Who knew what they would be worth now??? I only have 5 but am always looking to pick up more, and learn something new almost every time I come on this site. Slim pickings for 99's in this area though. Lot of knowledgeable people here and most are considerate of the occasional dumb question. Happy New Year to all!
Steve here one of many Steve's on this site. Been collecting/accumulating for 25 years more or less, started with a 30,s 99eg in 250 savage, now have every thing from 1895 to 99 PE, enjoy gun shows, and hunting varmits. Have a 99C in 22-250 that shoots 1/2" groups. Have learned a great deal from this site and find the people here to be frendly and knowledgable.
Wishing every one a Happy and Prosperous New Year from Kalifornia. Steve
D O M I T ! HERE! have a 99 in 3030. took 5 does in texas this year to help out on the ranch. fed the hungry and homeless. i like the peep sight but think my eyes are getting to the point i might have to use scope befor long, o well. peace to all.
Hi
federali signing in or on. I enjoy and appreciate Savage 99s but I'm not a collector. I have a 99 in .300 Savage. It's prior owner made a few modifications like refinishing the wood and drilling the receiver for scope mount. So, this is a hunting arm, not a collector's piece.

I'm hoping that Savage will make a run of 99s. I think there's a market for a stainless/synthetic version in all .308 derivative rounds including the .250 and .300 Savage. I'd also love to see one in .35 Remington.
I've been on for a year or so and love to pass the time with you guys. I hunt with and collect a few Savage 1899s. I started with a .300 Savage G years ago and have expanded to the rest of the original Savage calibers, .303, .22 HP and .250-3000. I began hunting with tang sighted Savages exclusively a few years back for the added challenge and nostalgia. I can't imagine going back to bolts and scopes.

[Linked Image]
Count me in! I dont post alot but visit here each night like it was a habit or somthin! I have been playing with 99s since 1976 when I bought my first 99F model from my uncle in the middle of deer season, man I rember that day like it was yesterday! I have put alot of 1899s, 99s in the safe over the years and moved alot more.( wish I would have kept everyone of them now!) this sight is full of great people keep it going and cherish it!
mw406,

That sheep hunt was one of the most MEMORABLE/COOLEST Savage posts of 2009!

Thanks.
I've been around for a couple of years. I had hunted with a pre-mil Savage 99 R in .300 for quite a while and also had an EG and an 1899A but occasionally used Rugers, Brownings and Remingtons whenever the mood struck. I had lots of shotguns and hunting rifles and also had a pretty big military surplus collection going. Anyway I walked into a small gun store and saw a sweet looking all original 1899A with a bird's eye maple stock in extremely nice condition and took it home with me. I knew enough to know it was unique but had no idea just how rare a find it was. That's when I found this forum and my whole focus shifted to all things Savage. Since then I've accumulated almost 40 pre mil 1899/99's, 22 pumps and Savage pistols.

If they had meetings to cure this addiction I would introduce myself by saying: "I am ROMAC, and I am a Savageaholic" LOL!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill here, been lurking around since Apr 08. I have a 110S in 308cal that shoots 1 1/2 in groups at 300 yds. I'm into muzzleloaders that I build. I also have three Marlins that I make bullets for and shoot. Deer hunting with the 110S is no longer a challenge during the centerfire season. Last summer at a gun show I found a 99C in 308 and traded for it. I have shot it at the range only so far and it prints one inch groups at 100 yds. Next year it will be with me in eastern Kansas for the centerfire season. Enjoy reading everyones post here, very seldom respond though. Have a good 2010.
Norm 99 started collecting in late 60s had kids started again last year,. only been using puter for 3 months so still learning ..i have learnt more and picked up more info on this site than anywhere else i have ever tried .thank you all who have helped and who will in the future..
Not a sarcastic canuck but slitely oppionated one.
looking for those sleeper guns?
grin grinHappy new year may we all have a good one grin
I had to look up when I joined. 2005! Time flies when you're having fun! Anyhow, I guess I got interested in the 99 nearly at birth. My dad has an F from '57(?) and I can still remember being to small to help him clean it after deer season. Then, when I started to hunt, half the guys at camp had 99's.

The first gun I bought on my own (mom's name is on the Ruger) was a 358 Brush gun. I bought it shortly after I turned 18, 31 years ago. I like the F's, post mil's are fine, and eventually I'd like to have a 250 and a 284. I'd also like to get the 99's from a couple of guys that used to be at camp, and my aunt's 170, just for old times sake.

I've met a couple of guys from here, we've had a great time. I've learned a lot over the years, one of these days I'm going to get a Murray book and learn more!

Dale
wiley, collected 2 chrome moly hips this year and can just about do a whole gunshow again! Thanks for the adventures, folks; it helped to keep me going!
Regards,
Wiley
Birddog from the old Gun and Knife. Was handed my Dad's 300 R in 1992 and been hooked ever since. I now carry a pre-mil 300F and really can't imagine carrying anything else.(I've tried over the years and always went back to the 99 the next year) I am a hunter /shooter and will buy most 99s that I get a good deal on. My favorites are the pre-mil Fs and old Fs and Gs. I have .250s, 300s, 308s, and a 30-30. Reload for all of them. Mark.
Charlie here...........for another year, God willing!!!

Just turned 71, still collecting Savages, don't have near as many as I would like, or as most here have, but I'm still looking.

Like Steve, I'm buying a lotta of 22's these days.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOOD SEARCHING..............
Hey to everyone on the forum. Been visiting this site for a few years now and have learned alot and am still learning. I have been into guns all my life, got into Savage 99's 10 years ago when I bought a couple of guns from another avid 99 collector. Just picked up a nice 1899 the other day. Anyway I am probably like most here, into the outdoors hunting fishing general woods roaming etc. I definitely enjoy the old guns especially making them go boom. I wish everyone here a happy and healthy New Year!! Jeff
Al Precourt from Wisconsin checking in. Like many new members to the 24 I don't post much but enjoy the posts and am amazed at the amount of information available through this forum! My first 99 was an EG that I bought about 15-20 years ago. I am still puzzled why Savage didn't dominate Winchester/Marlin in the Lever Action market with all of the advantages the 99 had over 94's and 336's. Imagine how may they would have sold if they had some of this membership running their marketing efforts!
Happy New Year!
HERE!

While I'm not a collector, I am certainly an accumulator! I own eight Savage lever guns, a pile of Savage Model 1911 .22 Short bolt guns and a couple pistols. Plus some "other makes".

My Dad always wanted a 99, but could never justify the price. I wish he had lived to see me "make it". I owe everything I have to him. We're one of them Appalachian clans where nobody ever leaves home, except for military service.

I know I've upset some members here and am sorry for the toes I've stepped on. However, last July I was permanently laid off, so I won't be outbidding anyone anymore! Forced retirement ain't all that bad. I now have lots of time to finish the house I've been building for almost 15 years. Of course, I have no money....

C'est la vie.

If anyone is traveling through northeast Ohio and wants a place to flop for the night, ask. The accommodations are humble, but the food is great!

Hoping to sign in next year,

Doug
Take care Doug, good luck with the House, let me know if you are comeing up for one of the Novi gun shows! be one Feb. 6th
John
My daughter & her family live in Poland Oh (just outside
Youngstown). Anywhere near you?
Signing in , and Happy NewYear to all!
[Linked Image]
Yes, the old (a.k.a. older than dust) Boltman is still around. I've been here since July of '03 but was not part of the previous boards. I bought my first Savage nearly 35 years ago. It was .250-3000 takedown rifle. My next was an octagon barreled .30-30 and then a pre-mil F .308. Been a lot since then. I have owned only one post-mil (a .284) and for some reason that still sits here. It is like new, so it occupies safe queen status. As many here know, I am not a post-mil fan. For the most part, when it comes to Savages, the older the better is my motto. I am also partial to carbines - M1899F's and 99H's have been favorites. I also collect other brands and have been known to fall off topic more than once. The biggest focus of my collecting has been lever rifles and this has mainly included Savages, Winchester, Marlin, Bullard, Burgess and Whitney Kennedy. I really don't collect shotguns other than Burgess wrist operated pump guns. I also collect vintage bolt action rifles and the main focus here is Ross rifles. Please visit my new website: rossrifle.com and take a look. And feel free to join - I would love to have more on board. Happy New Year to all!
Old otter signing in. Only 5-6 years into the Savages, but its a aadiction for sure. Like many out there, mostly shooters. Leave the collector grade to the collectors. If I can't shoot it, don't want it.
Jerry
Signing in! Got hooked on 99s as a kid b/c I was a lefty and it was the best fit.... did not really start accumulating them until 2006 when I found one in a small gun shop while stuck out of town for work... found this website and got heavily addicted... I don't even want to count how many I have bought in the last 2 years... luckily my taste is getting refined...slowly moving towards condition and rarity and overall quality over quantity.

Oh and I am also hooked on Fox shotguns...
I've been here about a year or so. Back in 2003 I had to sell all my previous guns. 2007 I was able to start buying on a budget. Mostly buying vintage with a few new ones as well. I want to call myself a hunter but I get diverted taking care of the daily life stuff. 2010 will be diferent (I hope). Picked up a cheap 99 that has issues and haven't had time to work them out. Had a 30-30 replacement barrel that wasn't right, did pick up a 22 HP and 32-40 barrel and think I will put the 22 HP on it as I have a 1908 Marlin I got working in 30-30. Other Savages include a MKIIGL for the neice with Redfield vintage receiver, a 120 single shot.
Happy New Year everyone,
My name is John and I've been lurking on site periodically sicne I originally registered back in 2002. I learn something new everytime I log in. Thanks to the mods and all those who participate. I have a modest Savage collection that has been passed down from my grandfather, father and uncle that I will display in another post. I plan to be a little more active this year as I am getting more into hunting and reloading. I hope to get proficient with each of my rifles and continue to build on the collection. I hope you all have a great year!
Lorne MacDonald here up in the frozen northland.

Hard to call me a collector because I only have 2 laugh . One is a VERY important one. Plain old EG, 1953, open sights and some use..... but it has some history.

In the early 70's dad figured my brother and I should have the opportunity to hunt, neither of us was 12 yet and my dad wasn't a big hunter. He went out and bought the above, used, for $50. Doesn't seem a lot but there were not a lot of $50 in our house....he went without to do it.

He's 80 now , and still with us,but on the downward side of a fight with cancer....I carried it a lot this year, probably more next...

Its all good
Originally Posted by Chip
Ron T says he will be 74 next month, well Ron I'll be 74 this month. I hope 2010 will be a better year for our country.

Jezzzzzzzzzz, Chip...

You're older than DIRT !~!~! I guess maybe you "win" the "Old Fart Award"... we'll see... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Jeff G. here. I didn't go back and check but I think I've been on the 'Fire for about 4 to 5 years now. I've had several 99's over the years, and own just one right now, a .300 which I bought off one of the former members of my dad's Pa. hunting camp. 'Love to carry the 99, but have to admit it's getting a little heavy for the all day jaunts where I'm doing a lot of walking. I spend more time reading than posting here on the Savage forum, as we are truly lucky to have some very well informed contributors here. Ron T and Dale K are both members I've had the pleasure to meet, and finer gents you'll never know. 'Seems like a common thread around here-whenever 'Fire members meet for the first time, we're always finding out what stand-up folks our members truly are. Kudos to Rick for a great sight and meeting place!
Still here from Tx.

BP...
Hi all back from holidays. I to came over from the old G&K board
Have collected Savages for about 25 years. Have used Savage 99
sincer I was legaly able to shoot
Now Mainly Focus on 1899, Mod99 & 22's
Hope you as have a good New Year with the Savages plentyfull
& the prices acceptable
Cheers Graham
Happy New Year everyone. I got my first Savage for Christmas 40 years ago - a 250-3000 takedown. I've been on the board a couple years now and have added 5 more 250's and a .375. Still looking for a scoped 22HP for 'chucks and 'yotes and a .284F just to have one. I've also developed a hankering for a 1920 in 250. Still lurkin' and learnin'........
happy new year to all. Been following this forum almost daily for the last 6 years. Ever since I missed a buck at 30 yards with my trusted 760 (rattletrap) 30-06 standing still twice ,went back to the camp got my buddied 99-c that had success earlier in the morning and shot the same buck that afternoon at 100yds+ coming back the opposite direction. The buck was blind in one eye thats why he stood there in the morning not that it had anything to do with my marksmanship. Needless to say on my way home the 760 got dumped of at the local gunshop to sell and my hunt for 99,s was on. Have an 1899A in 30-30 that will be 100 yrs old next season and will be with me in the woods for sure (wheather pending). Anyway great forum and have learned alot over the years. Finally got on the board back in september. steve
Happy new years everyone. Still here. Dave
This May I will have been here six years. I found this site after buying a 99 and seeking info on the rifle. I appreciate all the help since then. I fall into the accumulater category more than collector. Lots of good folks here that share opinions and knowledge.
Still here came over from the gun&knife forum. Dont get to the computer very often but always check in when can. Been a collector since early 60s Savage, Marlin, single shots and Western states knifes
Been here about 3 years or so, mostly reading and learning. And occasionally being entertained by the intensity of some of the members! Greatly enjoyed the 2009 Midwest Fest and all who attended.
Been shootin since 6 years old. There was a 99 in 300 in the house when I was born and that Savage saw time in the deer woods again this year with my dad. With 6 boys, we were given various "other guns" to hunt with as our dad always carried the deer killing 300 we could only look at and wish... Two brothers and I now own numerous 99's.
I also like the modern Savages and also couldn't resist those neat little Savage 22's as I searched for 99's. And I shoot and hunt with Savage shotguns. So into triple digits (not all Savages) now. Mostly shooters. Just wish it was easier to shoot year round up here in northern Wisconsin. -22 degrees yesterday and 15" snow. Hard to keep focussed on shooting form...
Happy 2010 to all, Bruce
Here

Ryan
Happy New Year!

New to the forum, but have found the place friendly and helpful:D

Just picked up a savage 99 in 300 Savage that was in pieces. Love the look and feel of the rifle, if I can ever get it back together wink

Dave
Happy New Year from south FL. Billy Harper checkin in. I got into Savages thanks to my late father's (XCIX) love for the rifles. So now I too am a true Savage loonie.
I's here, boss! Belated Happy New Year to all. I was out of town again for a few days, mainly helping my 80 yr.old Mom after she fell and sprained her knee on New Years eve. Turned 57 yesterday- where does the time go?

Been hanging out with y'all for about 4 years now. Joined after buying my first 99A .30/30 and was researching the gun. Had a pile of 99's and 20's back in the early 90's that I inherited from my Dad who was a true Savage man. Because I looked down my nose at Savages back then, I foolishly horse traded them all for stuff I was into at the time: Single shots, Mannlicher-Schoenauers, and muzzleloaders. I have since come to see the error of my ways and stand before you a repentant sinner! (And oh-my-god how I wish I had Pop's Savages back!) Since signing up here I've accumulated 5 more, plus a 1920. I enjoy working up loads and shooting them probably more than "collecting" them.

Other pursuits include L.C.Smith shotguns, waterfowling on Md.'s Eastern Shore, flyfishing for trout, skeet/sporting clays shooting, fine single malt scotch and loose women!

Cheers!

Gary

Happy 2010 to all. I am new to the forum in 2009 but did purchase two EGs, 1937, 250 Savage and 1954 300 Sav in 2009. Sincerely appreciate all the vast resources of knowledge you provide. I am a hunter although my pocketbook will not allow me to hunt in the manner I would like to be accustomed to:-).
Looking forward to another great Savage year!
Tony
I may have missed him as I read thru, however someone is missing for the respondents.
I'm Here. Been Here since 2005. Invited by Jim-Texasbateman, and Mike-Lightfoot.
Been with Savages For the Past 10 Years,,and Started with my 1st in 1981 a 308 F.Collect Mausers,Weatherby's and Drillings,Colt-Sauers.
Been Rebuilding-putting back to life is a passion of mine on Savages now for the past 4 years, and enjoying it very much.
Met a lot of great folk here on the 24hr. And made some good friends along the way.
Happy New Year to Every-one
I have been in and out of Savages for a while and I am signing back in with the .300 R I got from Chip. I have had 1899s, 99s, 20s and a few other models throughout the years. I love this site even when I don't happen to have a Savage in my hands at the time. There is not a better group of guys anywhere than here. It has always been a pleasure to talk to them, trade with them, buy from the and even sell to them. It's a lot like family but less bickering!

Hope everyone has a happy New Year!
Here here!!!
Just signing in per instructions. More of a shooter & reloader than a hunter. More of a hunter than a gunsmith. Interested in all of it. Hardly time for any of it. Stumbled into Savage 99s a few years back and the more I fool with them the better I like them. Last Fall I even chambered a Contender to 303 Savage just for fun. In fact, I found the Campfire while searching for a 99 in 358 Win. a few years ago.
Dave
still here and enjoying reading the forum and learning from you guys. Happy new year!
Still hunting with my 99E in .308. Best wishies to all for a great new year.

nuff said,

cur dog
Been out of town since before this thread started...now present and accounted for. Shot my first 1899 in 1951 at age 8, the 1902 saddle ring carbine that was may grandfather's. It was bought originally by a great-great uncle who was a New Mexico coal mine engineer, shot and killed by another miner. Great uncle Jack went from Western Maryland home of our Scots family to kill the perpetrator and was given this rifle by the widow for the task, but apparently decided the hanging was good enough. Anyway, it is now still in the family (cousin has it).

I found the forum this year after purchasing my first 99 and putting up the Mannlicher Alpine Carbine. Now have an 1899 A in .303, a 1928 G in .300, and beater EG in .300 and a post mil series A saddle gun in .250. Love them all, but love the G best. I'm a semi-retired lung/intensive care specialist buying shooters to shoot and hunt now that I finally have time again for some fun. This forum is an incredible resource, but more importantly it has become a community of people I admire. May you hall have the best of the new year. John
Happy New Year to every one. I am still here lurking about. Just have not posted anything in quite a while. Eric
I am still here lurking about. Just have not posted anything in quite a while.Happy New Year to every one. JErid

I borrowed almost all of it. smile
Still here and I check in from time to time. I've been busy with other hobbies and work around the house with my new tractor/ loader/ backhoe. Only have the 99EG .308, haven't found a 99 30-30 yet.
Happy New Year!
Still here and still learning. Thanks to Rick99 and others over the years for advice and guidence. Followed you boys over from the Gun&Knife Forum. Finally found that elusive EG in .308 this last summer. Took 2 antelope and an elk this fall, it really shoots well, and fits in a saddle scabbard like a dream. It will go along on another elk hunt horseback this month. Came with replacement stocks so if anyone has any ideas for me let me know. I would like to get original style checkered stocks back on. Don't post much but sure pay attention. Happy New Year, Mark
I'll in for the year, after that ?. Seems to be a lot of repeat and a change to a boys club. Running it's course I guess.
Finally checking in for the New Year. Been a member for almost 7 years now. Don't post a bunch, just when I think I can add something or learn something. I'm kind of partial to the .250-3000's but like any 99, especially the ones with condition, condition, condition....
Hi guys.....been here a while (2006) but not really an "old-timer" at the fire.

I have been owning/shooting Savage 99's since the late 1960's and think they are the best "woods" rifles ever made. I am definitely NOT a collector (more of a shooter/hunter), but have managed to accumilate a small collection of decent 99's. Most are Pre-Mill EG's (because I like that style) with a few F's and others thrown in. At present there are 11 99's in the safe (that number fluctuates) with guns in .243, .250-3000, .30-30, .303 Sav., .300 Sav., .308 and .358.

There is a lot of knowlege here at the fire. Probably the most important thing I've picked up is just how valuable and desirable the "original" Savages are to some. As I stated, I am NOT a collector and in years past have had no regrets drilling/tapping or adding swivels or a butt pad to "perfect" 99's. While it didn't matter to me (just made the gun more user-friendly)......I've found it very much DOES matter to collectors.

Now days, when I find a pristine example of the Savage 99, I keep a list of true collectors who are most often more than willing to trade a "shooter-grade" rifle for collector piece. It works out well as I sometimes end up with, for me, is a more usefull gun.....at no cost or a profit.....while the dwidling supply of "untouched" Savages is preserved.

I still will occationally modify a rifle, such as my .358. It came as a Post-Mill "Woods" rifle (a style I just don't care for).....but now has a curved lever and EG wood installed. HOWEVER....The original parts and stock is stored and marked so it can be returned to "original" form at any time.

That's why I love the campfire.....over the years I can identify and age most 99's......but do appreciate the knowlege here when dealing with really nice examples. When I sometimes read, "It's your rifle, do whatever makes you happy"....I cringe and remember all the collector guns I ruined over the years. If you are considering "modifying" an original......use the knowlege here and ask questions. You will likely find someone who is very willing to trade a "shooter" for that collector you've found......and leave you with a usable gun AND cash in hand.
Jack here. New to this forum as of '09. I'm not a collector but came here to learn about a Model 20 I acquired. I have found it interesting to read about your 99's. I'm in Miami,Fl. have an equipment rental business. Spend most of my free time hunting deer and fishing.I dont post much but enjoy seeing what everybody else has to say.Hope ya'll have a better 2010
Jack is here also. Joined the forum as I was "Googling" around the net for info on Savage 99's. Mucho info on here which is very helpful, and the people with the knowledge kmow what they are talking about. Bought a 99R out of Tenn and brought down a nice Doe about a month ago. Missed a Spike on the run so am now 1/2. I'm also into a few S&W revolvers along with Saltwater fishing out of my Robalo. Great forum and read more than I post.
Still here, mostly lurk'n and learn'n. I received a gracious acceptance in 2006 when I first bought a 99 in 2006. You folks provided model and DOM data.

Primarily a milsurp collector. My first sporting loves are Savage 24DLs and Marlins, but the 99's are right up there - have 4 now.

New Year's resolution: Make the Fest this year!

Last year's resolution was to get the h@ll out of the Wash, DC area. Now I'm living in SW NC (Rutherford Co).
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3469633/Heading_South#Post3469633

Don
Still here. Reading and enjoying daily. Started hunting with a 99 in 303. Own about 25 now. When we go to deer camp there are about 13 there and a lot of wool.
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Hell, one of you fellas even talked me into moving 2/3 of the way across the country. grin Bought some new property but still working on that one. wink frown

Now wait a minute, since you're from Tax Hell Wisc you were wanting to move back east anyway. You just came to visit and liked the area. And I agree, what's not to like..fishing is good, hunting is good, not too cold, good gun laws, taxes not too bad...etc. I'm just wondering when you're finally going to make the move. And by the way...about that not too cold thing, it's snowing here with the low tomorrow night at about 8. Ponds froze over, cows just standing around eating hay....

Elwood
Three Creeks in Texas. Still here. Joined the original forum years ago. Migrated to Campfire when it moved. Up to 12 99's, and a .250-3000 Model 20 and a .300 Model 20. Hope you all have a great year!
Happy New Year to all! Still here also.Lurking in from time to time.

Mike
Still here, pop in when appropriate. Sometimes when it's not wink Ryan
`Happy New Year guys!!! trying to stay out of the fray as much as possible-enjoy lurking and keeping up with the good guys-only got one deer this year, sorry to say it wasn't with my old 250, but he was a beautiful thing-an 8 pt that scored 127 in.-thats a good deer in my neck of the woods-put it on my 4 wheeler to cheer up the neighbors who didn't have a kill!!!!I used to think I was a gunsmith, but trying to keep up with you guys is mighty hard for an old dinosaur!the highlight of my year was finding out that my old 284 is one that was never produced-a 22 in. Carbine mismarked on the receiver with an F-pretty cool,huh?-keep buying those 99's,they are about the only thing you can find that is made in America!
Great forum, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Hi,Nate Dunkley is my name.I,ve been hunting with savage,s for 30 year's.The 99 is my favorite rifle and the 250 is the one for me.I do not make a lot of post's because i'm not a great typer,but frequent the site regularly. Happy New Year
Happy New Year to all you Savage Fanatics, I'm still around, just have a lot to deal with outside of Savage rifles. Still slip in occasionally. Mad Dog and Rick brought me here back in 05, had a question on a 1899 H that was re-chambered for 250 Savage. Les Green
Still here, the Savage forum is what brought me to the fire.
RAS (Jeff) is still here. I have a few 99s. I have other collections of rifles as well. Most of them get fired but has slowed down a bit since the good Lord gave us 3 children in 3 years. My favorite 99 models in order: Rs, EGs, Fs and then everything else. The 1899 Deluxes are in a separate class (high) IMO. Post mils are well liked by me as well. Looking for a hand checkered 284.

Happy New Year.
Been around awhile. Rarely post. Drop by daily. Have learned
a lot. Bought the " book." Have a couple of 99`s.
Enjoy life............
btt
Still around, check in daily to see what I can learn. Sold the only 99 that I ever owned, but keep my eyes open for another.

Tim
Happy New Year.
Gary here. I shot my very first deer with Savage 99, 30-30 in 1964 or 1965, because that (Savage 99G) is what my dad had. It had a chopped barrel with a fixed front sight soldered on. Frankly, it was a piece of junk that I paid $35.00 for from my paper route earnings. Kinda wished I had it back.

I have probably had five or six 99's in my lifetime, but sold or traded them away. I gave my last 99 away to a new son-in-law, and am hoping to find a decent shooter to replace it. A guy should have at least one!
Gary
Happy New Year everyone...Joe here...I don't post much, but check this forum about every day..purchased my first 99 in 1965 when I was 14 years old in 300 savage. (a model E carbine) I've shot many white tail over the years with it and still take it out now and then..Got into a 99 kick about two years ago and I now have ten of them.. I love these things..Going to a gun show in Greensburg, Pa. this Saturday and I'll be bringing my Christmas bonus and my last paycheck with me..You guys on this forum are great..Would love to make the fest some day.

Joe
My name is Ray and I'm from NC. I just began following these guns last week... looking for info on my Model 99 (that I've had since '77). Turns out it's a 1940 EG. Got my first deer with my Grandad's 99 in 1973, and my mother has a '99 also. All three are .300's. My brother has a .300 bolt-action, but I couldn't tell you the model... I'll be looking at all of them carefully the next time I'm home.

Ray
Checking in, if somewhat late. Been lurking around the campfire for awhile now but don't post that often. I'm more of a Marlin collector but do appreciate the 99 as a hunting rifle. Not shown below is my heavy barreled 110V chambered in 223 which is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

[Linked Image]
btt grin
Chris O. checking in here, member for about 6 years. Got about a dozen Savages and a little bit of everything else. I haven't picked any new 99's lately but I feel that itch again and it needs scratching bad! Great site with an unbelieveable amount of knowledge. Thanks guys!
Tom D. here... I've been a member for just over a year. I don't have a lot of posts to my credit, but I have learned a lot here in the last year.

I didn't feel it was proper to "sign in" on the Savage forum until I actually owned one. Just walked in the door with my first 99! A 1955 F in .300, purchased here from lovemy99. It will be a hunting rifle, as all of my rifles are at this point.

Great bunch of guys here with a ton of knowledge... very happy I stumbled upon it!
Tom, Enjoy and as I said, post pictures of big dead CT buck this fall!! And be carefully... the addiction builds rapidly.
Richard in Texas,
Been on and off since 2004. Savage 99's, Remington XP-100, branched out and got a BFR in 45/70 that got me a doe this year. Other than guns, old bourbon and hunting deer in Arkansas. Still have two years in the Army Reserve until I retire and can play more.
first year here. been collecting savages, for sometime now. preference is takedown 99`s, but love and enjoy them all.have really got interested in the 219`s also
Sign me up. Love guns. Love 99s. In the Army.

Expat
© 24hourcampfire