-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
C
Bill here, been lurking around since Apr 08. I have a 110S in 308cal that shoots 1 1/2 in groups at 300 yds. I'm into muzzleloaders that I build. I also have three Marlins that I make bullets for and shoot. Deer hunting with the 110S is no longer a challenge during the centerfire season. Last summer at a gun show I found a 99C in 308 and traded for it. I have shot it at the range only so far and it prints one inch groups at 100 yds. Next year it will be with me in eastern Kansas for the centerfire season. Enjoy reading everyones post here, very seldom respond though. Have a good 2010.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Norm 99 started collecting in late 60s had kids started again last year,. only been using puter for 3 months so still learning ..i have learnt more and picked up more info on this site than anywhere else i have ever tried .thank you all who have helped and who will in the future..
Not a sarcastic canuck but slitely oppionated one.
looking for those sleeper guns?
grin grinHappy new year may we all have a good one grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had to look up when I joined. 2005! Time flies when you're having fun! Anyhow, I guess I got interested in the 99 nearly at birth. My dad has an F from '57(?) and I can still remember being to small to help him clean it after deer season. Then, when I started to hunt, half the guys at camp had 99's.

The first gun I bought on my own (mom's name is on the Ruger) was a 358 Brush gun. I bought it shortly after I turned 18, 31 years ago. I like the F's, post mil's are fine, and eventually I'd like to have a 250 and a 284. I'd also like to get the 99's from a couple of guys that used to be at camp, and my aunt's 170, just for old times sake.

I've met a couple of guys from here, we've had a great time. I've learned a lot over the years, one of these days I'm going to get a Murray book and learn more!

Dale

This space for rent

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
wiley, collected 2 chrome moly hips this year and can just about do a whole gunshow again! Thanks for the adventures, folks; it helped to keep me going!
Regards,
Wiley

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Birddog from the old Gun and Knife. Was handed my Dad's 300 R in 1992 and been hooked ever since. I now carry a pre-mil 300F and really can't imagine carrying anything else.(I've tried over the years and always went back to the 99 the next year) I am a hunter /shooter and will buy most 99s that I get a good deal on. My favorites are the pre-mil Fs and old Fs and Gs. I have .250s, 300s, 308s, and a 30-30. Reload for all of them. Mark.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Charlie here...........for another year, God willing!!!

Just turned 71, still collecting Savages, don't have near as many as I would like, or as most here have, but I'm still looking.

Like Steve, I'm buying a lotta of 22's these days.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOOD SEARCHING..............

Charlie
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hey to everyone on the forum. Been visiting this site for a few years now and have learned alot and am still learning. I have been into guns all my life, got into Savage 99's 10 years ago when I bought a couple of guns from another avid 99 collector. Just picked up a nice 1899 the other day. Anyway I am probably like most here, into the outdoors hunting fishing general woods roaming etc. I definitely enjoy the old guns especially making them go boom. I wish everyone here a happy and healthy New Year!! Jeff

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Al Precourt from Wisconsin checking in. Like many new members to the 24 I don't post much but enjoy the posts and am amazed at the amount of information available through this forum! My first 99 was an EG that I bought about 15-20 years ago. I am still puzzled why Savage didn't dominate Winchester/Marlin in the Lever Action market with all of the advantages the 99 had over 94's and 336's. Imagine how may they would have sold if they had some of this membership running their marketing efforts!
Happy New Year!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HERE!

While I'm not a collector, I am certainly an accumulator! I own eight Savage lever guns, a pile of Savage Model 1911 .22 Short bolt guns and a couple pistols. Plus some "other makes".

My Dad always wanted a 99, but could never justify the price. I wish he had lived to see me "make it". I owe everything I have to him. We're one of them Appalachian clans where nobody ever leaves home, except for military service.

I know I've upset some members here and am sorry for the toes I've stepped on. However, last July I was permanently laid off, so I won't be outbidding anyone anymore! Forced retirement ain't all that bad. I now have lots of time to finish the house I've been building for almost 15 years. Of course, I have no money....

C'est la vie.

If anyone is traveling through northeast Ohio and wants a place to flop for the night, ask. The accommodations are humble, but the food is great!

Hoping to sign in next year,

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Take care Doug, good luck with the House, let me know if you are comeing up for one of the Novi gun shows! be one Feb. 6th
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter & her family live in Poland Oh (just outside
Youngstown). Anywhere near you?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Signing in , and Happy NewYear to all!
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, the old (a.k.a. older than dust) Boltman is still around. I've been here since July of '03 but was not part of the previous boards. I bought my first Savage nearly 35 years ago. It was .250-3000 takedown rifle. My next was an octagon barreled .30-30 and then a pre-mil F .308. Been a lot since then. I have owned only one post-mil (a .284) and for some reason that still sits here. It is like new, so it occupies safe queen status. As many here know, I am not a post-mil fan. For the most part, when it comes to Savages, the older the better is my motto. I am also partial to carbines - M1899F's and 99H's have been favorites. I also collect other brands and have been known to fall off topic more than once. The biggest focus of my collecting has been lever rifles and this has mainly included Savages, Winchester, Marlin, Bullard, Burgess and Whitney Kennedy. I really don't collect shotguns other than Burgess wrist operated pump guns. I also collect vintage bolt action rifles and the main focus here is Ross rifles. Please visit my new website: rossrifle.com and take a look. And feel free to join - I would love to have more on board. Happy New Year to all!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Old otter signing in. Only 5-6 years into the Savages, but its a aadiction for sure. Like many out there, mostly shooters. Leave the collector grade to the collectors. If I can't shoot it, don't want it.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Signing in! Got hooked on 99s as a kid b/c I was a lefty and it was the best fit.... did not really start accumulating them until 2006 when I found one in a small gun shop while stuck out of town for work... found this website and got heavily addicted... I don't even want to count how many I have bought in the last 2 years... luckily my taste is getting refined...slowly moving towards condition and rarity and overall quality over quantity.

Oh and I am also hooked on Fox shotguns...

Last edited by lovemy99; 01/02/10.

Andrew
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've been here about a year or so. Back in 2003 I had to sell all my previous guns. 2007 I was able to start buying on a budget. Mostly buying vintage with a few new ones as well. I want to call myself a hunter but I get diverted taking care of the daily life stuff. 2010 will be diferent (I hope). Picked up a cheap 99 that has issues and haven't had time to work them out. Had a 30-30 replacement barrel that wasn't right, did pick up a 22 HP and 32-40 barrel and think I will put the 22 HP on it as I have a 1908 Marlin I got working in 30-30. Other Savages include a MKIIGL for the neice with Redfield vintage receiver, a 120 single shot.

Happy New Year everyone,
My name is John and I've been lurking on site periodically sicne I originally registered back in 2002. I learn something new everytime I log in. Thanks to the mods and all those who participate. I have a modest Savage collection that has been passed down from my grandfather, father and uncle that I will display in another post. I plan to be a little more active this year as I am getting more into hunting and reloading. I hope to get proficient with each of my rifles and continue to build on the collection. I hope you all have a great year!

Last edited by jlower; 01/02/10. Reason: spelling
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lorne MacDonald here up in the frozen northland.

Hard to call me a collector because I only have 2 laugh . One is a VERY important one. Plain old EG, 1953, open sights and some use..... but it has some history.

In the early 70's dad figured my brother and I should have the opportunity to hunt, neither of us was 12 yet and my dad wasn't a big hunter. He went out and bought the above, used, for $50. Doesn't seem a lot but there were not a lot of $50 in our house....he went without to do it.

He's 80 now , and still with us,but on the downward side of a fight with cancer....I carried it a lot this year, probably more next...

Its all good

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Chip
Ron T says he will be 74 next month, well Ron I'll be 74 this month. I hope 2010 will be a better year for our country.

Jezzzzzzzzzz, Chip...

You're older than DIRT !~!~! I guess maybe you "win" the "Old Fart Award"... we'll see... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff G. here. I didn't go back and check but I think I've been on the 'Fire for about 4 to 5 years now. I've had several 99's over the years, and own just one right now, a .300 which I bought off one of the former members of my dad's Pa. hunting camp. 'Love to carry the 99, but have to admit it's getting a little heavy for the all day jaunts where I'm doing a lot of walking. I spend more time reading than posting here on the Savage forum, as we are truly lucky to have some very well informed contributors here. Ron T and Dale K are both members I've had the pleasure to meet, and finer gents you'll never know. 'Seems like a common thread around here-whenever 'Fire members meet for the first time, we're always finding out what stand-up folks our members truly are. Kudos to Rick for a great sight and meeting place!

Last edited by gophergunner; 01/03/10.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.