Home
Posted By: RAS Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
All:

It is windy and getting a little cold but here I am in FOB Dwyer in Afghanistan with a WiFi connection from the base, and using it in my tent. Anyways, I will take it and use it to say howdy to the fellas on the 24. For some reason I cannot see pictures when people post them. That sucks because I was going to live my hunting season this year through you guys, who get deer.

Hope all is well. Due to us going to River City(blackout) a lot, I dont know when I will be on again. There is a lot going in this part of the country. That is all that I can say.

All the best...
RAS
Posted By: saddlering Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Take care my friend, Keep your head down, Ill think of you on Nov. 15th here in Michigan, and tip a glass to you that evening! again thanks for your sevrice, John
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
God-speed,Brother. Think about you every day.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Be careful up there RAS, and the pics will still be here when you get back.

God speed!
I second what has already been said. We should ALL count our blessing because of folks like you. As has already been said, thank you for serving. That makes you a cut above.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
grin Best to you RAS. We will keep your seat warm here at the fire until you return. GW
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Hey Ras! I have nothing to complain about compared to you thats for DAMN sure! Afghanistan is hell for sure!

Keep your head down!!!

PS there's a decent chance I might see you before you get home!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Good to hear from you. Be safe. Let me know if you find yourself in Kabul. An old buddy of mine (retired Marine Colonel) is working there as a contractor. I'll put you in touch. He'll bend your ear talking guns.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
All the best and come home safe.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
+1 on all other comments,and do return safely,all together
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Good to hear from you RAS. Stay safe.
Posted By: johno Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
All the best mate, safe return tyour family. are there are aussies & kiwis in your. Oh maybe I should'nt have asked that.

Johno
Posted By: BMT Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
God Bless, Stay Safe, and Thanks for your service.

BMT
Posted By: model70man Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you. I called the Mrs. over the weekend. I will PM you later. Take care my friend and watch your back...Bill.
Good to hear from you. Stay safe and THANKS for all you do.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Hi Jeff,
Keep yourself safe over there and I will do as John and tip one to you when our deer camp starts this fall. Will pray for a safe return for you.
Jim
Posted By: johnsavage Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
We've said a prayer for your safety and toasted your service this p.m. Be careful; be safe.
John & Arnell
Posted By: savage62 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/01/10
Good luck RAS and will be thinking of all there with you
Posted By: SteveS Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
Keep your ears up and head down! My daughter spent 18 mo. in the Sand Pit (Iraq)and got back last year (in reserves now) and just so you know, we're really pulling for you and all you do.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: 99guy Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
May god bless you and the men that you serve with.

Come back safe.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
Take care over there my friend

Best Regards

Mike
Thanks for your service RAS.
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
Stay the course and return safe. Thanks.

Shortgrub
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
Did the LLBean PC case work for you?

Jeff
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/02/10
Stay safe, watch your back, and have a safe return home!

Stay safe RAS...Hope you get home soon...

Thank's for your service to our country...

Joe
May God keep you from harms way. Thank you for your sacrifices to keep our freedoms.

Mike
Posted By: RAS Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/07/10
Thanks for the kind words and good advice. Yes, it is getting cooler here. It will not be long before it gets cold. I can handle cold, but hate the heat so all the better for me. I grew up in Michigan so it is expected. Anyways, I am doing what I was sent here to do and it is rewarding service. I miss my family and friends greatly but I have my family of Marines here with me to keep me company.

The place here generally stinks and is disgusting, but that is most of the places I have been in the world, including Detroit. There isnt a single piece of plant life around here. You have to be miserable to live here really. If I dont catch up with you guys for awhile, have a great hunting season and Thanksgiving.

All the best,
Jeff
Jeff, my son is a Marine at Camp Leatherneck, so I know something about what you're talking about--he refers to it as "Crapghanistan." Makes Fort Irwin seem like a rain forest....

Just come home in one piece and congratulate yourself on having done your duty to your country and your unit. Remember we think about you guys every day and are proud of ALL of you.

Mike Armstrong
Posted By: sooner Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/07/10
Jeff as one veteran to an active duty brother . I am proud of you and all the young folks who serve our country.Be safe .Tom
Originally Posted by sooner
Jeff as one veteran to an active duty brother . I am proud of you and all the young folks who serve our country.Be safe .Tom

+1. I was just watching a canned deer hunt on one of the outdoor channels. All disabled veterans of different degrees. Really it was sad to watch because instead of a country of heros now we are a country of cowards. Thank you, Ras, for being one of the heros. You don;t have to do ANYTHING special, just being there makes you a hero. You're a good man!!! I am proud of you.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/09/10
Jeff,

Is there anything that you or your family of Marines want/need and can't get through regular channels? If so, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jeff
Jeff-I was thinking the same thing as 260. Glad he brought it up. What do you or your family need? Give us some forwarding information and let us do the rest. I'm thinking there's a bunch of guys here that would be more than willing to help out. 'Goes for the family too-phone cards? Personal stuff? Why don't you send us a list and just consider it done.

Thanks for keeping us safe and free.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Best Regards,

GG
Posted By: RAS Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/10/10
CG and 260,

That is a great idea! I dont need much but the 46 Marines that are here serving with me could use a thing or two. A few of them dont have much and with the holidays rolling around, could be a morale boost. I will send you a PM and we will work out the details.

Jeff
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/10/10
I would be happy to help out as well. Let me know what I can do. Be safe over there Jeff, and many thanks for all that you guys do over there to keep it safe here.
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/11/10
I used to send Jerky to my gf's son in Iraq, from a place called Oscar's. He said it was damn good. Be safe.
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/15/10
Be careful over there RAS. Thanks for your service and Semper Fi!
Posted By: Attila Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/16/10
RAS, I'm new to the forum so I don't know you, but I'd like to thank you for your service. After doing 28 yrs I retired last yr & I would have done a couple more if they'd let me. When I was in Pakistan shortly after 9-11 a young troop of mine asked me how I handled it because he never heard me complaining like most of the others. I told him I just think of it as a long camping trip with lousy food & scenery, & I always remember there are other U.S. servicemen out there that are in a worse place than we are. Thanks & come home safe.

Jerry
Posted By: levergunfan Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/18/10
Jeff, Although we do not know each other, this forum seems to bring us all closer. Be safe and know your service is very much appreciated by all. Larry
Posted By: savage62 Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/18/10
Take care RAS in hope your with us soon
Posted By: 163bc Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/18/10
good Luck & stay safe.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Hello from Afghanistan - 11/19/10
We tiped a cup to you Ras, and the rest of our fighting men & woman, the night before the opener Nov 14th, I struck out on the deer, on this trip tho! take care and come home safe! John
© 24hourcampfire