Home
Posted By: Loggah JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
I was just going thru a bunch of my old savage pictures and came upon this. John Callahan our savage historian told me this was the inspection mark he used when he worked at savage. I just happened to have a rifle he inspected. grin Don

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
Very cool, I have seen several guns with that mark!
What serial number range??? You got a memory like a steel trap. Neat........... smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
LBK, ones a 99E , the other is a 99C i believe, dont remember the exact s/n's and im to lazy to walk out to the vault tonight !!!! grin
Posted By: billy336 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
I did not know about this. I'll have to take a look in the safe and see if if I have any with his mark. Ya never stop learning things around here.
Posted By: saddlering Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
Thanks Don, I had forgot about this, ill have to look myself!
Posted By: cmhjohn Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/16/11
I have a "late parts rifle" in 308 (uncatalogued), w/lever safety, with the JTC inspection mark. I bot it from a member here back in 09.
Posted By: Rick99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Don, I think John said that the stamp design had been used before him. He said he assembled a lot of the 75th Anniv. rifles. I don't know how long he was an assembler.
Posted By: Loggah Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Rick, all i remembered him telling me was that was his stamp! blush and it was around the "E" and "C" range, i didnt look on my anniv. rifle . Don
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
I wonder if he kept it in his possession when he left?
I just checked mine, and I don't have any with his mark. frown frown I did look my anniversary over well and it wasn't there either. I did, however notice the date code NOT being in the usual place. It on the right side of the receiver ring. It is 10X.
Posted By: 99trix Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Steve,

The anniversary model that I had was the same with the date code. I probably have a picture of it somewhere.

Blair
Blair,,,,,,,,

Ya BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have mine!!!!! grin grin
Posted By: norm99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
i'll have to check me A250 and my ,E
Posted By: 99trix Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Blair,,,,,,,,

Ya BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have mine!!!!! grin grin

My condolences grin

Unfortunately or fortunately I am limited by space. It is easier to sneak a gun into the house than another safe! So something new comes in, usually something of less importance has to go.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
My 1961 E has the mark. Serial #10315xx.
Posted By: norm99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
nothing on mine frown
Posted By: boltman Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Originally Posted by norm99
nothing on mine frown

It's never fun to be the one left out wink
Posted By: Calhoun Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/19/11
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I wonder if he kept it in his possession when he left?

No, I believe he told us that it was somebody else's before he did the job, and when he moved on somebody else was using it.
Posted By: JeffG Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
I have that mark on my 308-F serial 966566. I that too early for Mr.C

Jeff
Posted By: Loggah Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
Jeff, it might be ,i know he told me the "E" and "C" models which are after 1,000,000 s/n. Don
Posted By: ctw Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
So someone used "his" mark a couple years earlier? Unless it was his father I would call Bull Schcitt. I could see 30 years earlier in either case we would have many more rifles marked with such.
Posted By: Loggah Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
Chris, Well i dont know about the Bull Schitt ,but i do know you don't see many rifles with that mark !!!!! grin grin Don
Posted By: ctw Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
Maybe he was the only one to use it? Or maybe the mark means some thin else? If John told Rick it was his but someone earlier used it? Just not sure of the significance.
Posted By: JeffG Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
Originally Posted by JeffG
I have that mark on my 308-F serial 966566. I that too early for Mr.C

Jeff

this might be my first opportunity to send for a letter!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/21/11
Stamps belong to the company. You normaly are just asigned a stamp so they can identify the person that did the work. Lots of people could have used the stamp over the years...just not at the same time.
Posted By: norm99 Re: JTC inspectors mark !! - 02/22/11
Originally Posted by Rick99
Stamps belong to the company. You normaly are just asigned a stamp so they can identify the person that did the work. Lots of people could have used the stamp over the years...just not at the same time.

next thing you have to think about is where the stamp actually is on the rifles, you might use the same stamp 5 times in 110 years ,but that does not mean each inspector stamped in the same place ,or the same serial range
JMO
Norm
© 24hourcampfire