Home
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Old photo - 02/08/12
Im still buying photos but havnt scanned any for a while. This on I got from a member of another forum and thought it was neat because of whats written on back.

"Three ducks heads cut off in two shots with a 25-35 savage rifle. The marksman is W. Kaiser."

[Linked Image]

And this one... Who would have thought Id have found a 99 so close to such a famous pair of..er...um....hands?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
Hmm.. 99G with a splinter off the forearm and d&t and sling?

Great pics!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm.. 99G with a splinter off the forearm and d&t and sling?

Great pics!

and missing rear sight. Plus, it looks like they left the bore dirty. grin grin
Posted By: texken Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
and its loaded
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
That looks like a Weaver 330 or 29S in one of those old Redfield 1 piece mounts. Great find on that one!!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
Oh yah, nice rack too... (someone had to say it) blush cool
Posted By: LRF Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
I wonder if anyone noticed the stress testing being performed on the thread that was used to attach the button. I sure would like to have been hands on in the testing.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
looks like a wonder bra. as in "i wonder how to get this thing off?"
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Old photo - 02/08/12
Howard Hughes himself engineered a special bra for Ms Russel when he was directing her film "The Outlaw."

That's a great find Gary!

Rod
Posted By: norm99 Re: Old photo - 02/09/12
good pics and nice finds ,,keep up the reasearch

norm
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
Anyone able to identify Herman's .22?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
1904?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
Sure what it looks like.
I cant tell between the Winchester and Savage Boys rifles.
Winchester sold one also? grin
This fella arrived yesterday.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
That's a great one, Gary. Thanks for posting it.

Rod
Nice pic, and that's some serious mass on the antlers on that buck.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
How the devil did all those old timers kill all those deer without scopes on their rifles? grin whistle
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Old photo - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
How the devil did all those old timers kill all those deer without scopes on their rifles? grin whistle

With bowie knives of course.
Posted By: Joe Re: Old photo - 02/29/12
Not sure I'd want to carry my knife in that position!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Old photo - 02/29/12
Gary, I think the .22 is a Winchester. The Winchester bolt handle sticks straight out while the Savage is bent down.
Posted By: Chip Re: Old photo - 03/01/12
The reason they could shoot deer without a scope is, they were hunters! They stalk thier game till they were close before shooting. They didn't sit on some hillside, with thier thunder bumper beanfield rifle in 980 caliber that has 6400FPS, and 9X80 scope on it.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
Originally Posted by Rick99
Gary, I think the .22 is a Winchester. The Winchester bolt handle sticks straight out while the Savage is bent down.

Thanks Rick. Anyone here collect Winchester photos? frown
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
Gary...great photo of 2 legends in their respective fields. Ms. Russell was the "standard" of full figured gals for her era...Huge hangers and full monk! No landing strip there boys!

Bob Waterfield was a great QB ahead of his time and an NFL Hall of Famer!

Great stuff Gary!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
I thought the stretch she was putting on her shirt was classic.

These are teasers because I wont have the originals in hand for a couple days.

Some may have grown up with Fess Parker.(Davy Crockett,Daniel Boone)
[Linked Image]

And this one will be fun to discuss.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
I had about an hour long talk with Fess Parker years ago in the NBC building in New york!! i was just a kid on a eighth grade class trip and ran across him in the hallway!!!!! He had just gotten back from bow hunting Grizzly bear in Alaska, we talked about hunting the whole time !!!! pretty big day in the life of a 13 year old kid !!!!!! Don
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
Heck, I would still be wearing my Davey Crockett coonskin cap if it hadn't rotted off my head 50 years ago! grin He was a god to my pre-teen self!
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
did he put a weatherby forearm on that poor 99...ugh...

I can not wait to see more of the bottom one... schutzen buttplate!! Cheek pad!! NEAT!
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
Yea, can't wait to see a better look at the Fess Parker photo...forearm on that rifle.

I had me one of them Davy Crockett hats with a real coon's tail. Loggah, it was nice that he took the time to talk. Never met him but he seemed like a real nice guy. What happened to all the western heros that we grew up with. All we have now are big city law officers.
Posted By: Loggah Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
All the Western Heros are gone!!! frown frown i was a pretty tall kid even in eighth grade ,but i really had to look up to Fess, i think he was 6'6" or close ,i remember him stooping thru the door way!! grin Don
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old photo - 03/02/12
Yes, the heroes of our youth- cowboy stars, baseball giants, etc.- instilled a sense of moral right in us. The heroes of kids today are usually overpaid sports stars with a history of debauchery and cheating, and anti-hero film stars with the morals of snakes. I would trade the lot of them for one Fess Parker, Roy Rodgers, or Roger Marris.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Old photo - 03/03/12
Originally Posted by Loggah
All the Western Heros are gone!!! frown frown i was a pretty tall kid even in eighth grade ,but i really had to look up to Fess, i think he was 6'6" or close ,i remember him stooping thru the door way!! grin Don

Don...you go 6'4"??? Just curious..
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Old photo - 03/03/12
...a bit from Wiki on Fess Parker...pretty unique guy!

FESS....click here!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Old photo - 03/03/12
Ya, but when i was 13 i was probably only 6' tall. grin
Posted By: GeneB Re: Old photo - 03/04/12
Ya, but when i was 13 i was probably only 6' tall. grin

I admit I am confused ... you were 13 when you met him???? I swear the movies I saw him in were all talkies........and some even in color!
Posted By: steve99 Re: Old photo - 03/04/12
Ouch, that was cold!
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
Is He holding a RT?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
Gary, Pre war "R" or "RS" you can see the two lines around the end of the forestock. smile Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
Nope, Don.

You can see the points of the checkering at front.

It's 99T checkering.

Edit: Not to mention the forearm slants right in front of the receiver.
Don, I thought so too but it also looks like it has the little angles in the forarm right in front of the receiver. Here is a link to a large high res scan of the forarm.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/grogel1/fessforend.png
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
certainly T wood... does look like T checkering from the best I can tell but also appears to have two additional lines around the front... though they are NOT like a prewar R or RS as they are way to far apart...
It does look like a RT forearm ,but my computer screen shows two lines around the forearm end !!! weird !! crazy crazy
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
The 2 lines are curved, so might be some figure to the wood or maybe even (dare I say it?).. dings.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
So...Don...are you 6'2" or 6'4"?
Whats that got to do with anything??? crazy i'm 6'4" in height,and when i lay down i'm 6'4" i length !!!!! smile
This came today also, Its got a name and a year on the back but it looks like ball point pen so who knows. Says Frank Scot 1927.
[Linked Image]
And look, I cant spell my own last name !!

and a close up o the gun
[Linked Image]
strangely enough I thought Id seen a similar gun in a photo. I have this in my photobucket but dont own the photo. Maybe Stever does but he cant check, I have his photos!!

Turns out it is Frank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, Who was Frank and who has his gun today????????
Whats that got to do with anything??? crazy i'm 6'4" in height,and when i lay down i'm 6'4" i length !!!!! smile

Got nothing to do with nothing really....I just know you look to be a big bastaard from the "vault" pictures and I am guessing height in relation to photo's. No harm----no foul! I am a miniscule 5'9" and the same when I lay flat!

...and just so you old-assed cowpoke lover's know....I kicked 'ole Fess's ass and stole that damn rifle! Ha! cool
He looks older and plumper in the photo I just got.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Old photo - 03/05/12
is that a metal plate in the middle of the cheek piece? Have you done any research on the name? Its clearly a pre 90.000 rifle... schutzen buttplate is awesome... one of few 1899s I have ever seen with a cheek piece at all and looks a fair bit different then the one that Jed owned but hard to tell with the angles... sure has the Marlin S curve... very interesting... will be fun to see what everyone else thinks...
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
strangely enough I thought Id seen a similar gun in a photo. I have this in my photobucket but dont own the photo. Maybe Stever does but he cant check, I have his photos!!

Turns out it is Frank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, Who was Frank and who has his gun today????????

Frank is clearly a dead guy. When Frank was still drawing breath he was a short, squat guy...the damn rifle is almost as big as Frank!
Posted By: 1899sav Re: Old photo - 03/06/12

Yeap You Have them,,But I Have 5 Other Binders with Him in it. grin
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Old photo - 03/06/12
He looks older and plumper in the photo I just got.

...yes and I think those are the same mounts as in the earlier photo. They don't appear to have weathered the years well, either.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old photo - 03/06/12
Geez, old Frank was a stern looking dude. He doesn't look happy at all about being such a successful nimrod! I'll bet he killed half of those animals by staring them to death. Lighten up, man!!
Posted By: Phil99 Re: Old photo - 03/06/12
He looks like a more dangerous version of Curly from the 3 Stooges.

Rod
Yeah, sort of Curly with a Moe scowl!
Posted By: johnsavage Re: Old photo - 03/06/12
WWI uniform...guys were smaller back then, but a hell of a lot tougher than most today. You probably didn't mess with Frank much...made a fierce friend and a fierce enemy.
That rifle reminds me of George Shoyen's work. (He was a custom gunsmith in Denver at the turn of the century, mostly famous for his schuetzen target rifles.) I wonder if Frank was an offhand rifle competitor who had his favorite gunsmith customize his Savage? Regardless, speaking as one who has used hooked butt plates a few times (I once played with a Shoyen .22 offhand rifle I picked up for $800 at a show almost 30 years ago now, among others), it probably aided deliberate slow shooting, but was probably a hindrance when it came to taking a snap shot. It tells me old Frank was a careful deliberate kind of hunter.

The pistol grip treatment we have taken to calling 'the Stevens S-curve' was a fairly common design feature on many custom and factory special order guns of the period. I wonder who came up with it originally? It would make an interesting research project.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/06/12
Originally Posted by johnsavage
WWI uniform...guys were smaller back then, but a hell of a lot tougher than most today. You probably didn't mess with Frank much...made a fierce friend and a fierce enemy.

My hunting partner likes to refer to his size as being "built to old world standards" smile

The word "billings" is written in pencil on the back of the photo also so there is a possible connection to the west side of the country Gary.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/23/12
A unusual addition to the collection arrived today. A Detroit news staff photo from 1956.

[Linked Image]

I was able to find this on facebook of all places.
[Linked Image]

Trooper George Lappi
Trooper Bert Pozza

The guns owner is refered to as "Harry Richards berserk gunman" on the back of the photo.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Old photo - 03/23/12
The big fella holding the Savage sure liked his Krispy Creams.
Posted By: Grogel_Deluxe Re: Old photo - 03/23/12
Originally Posted by mad_dog
The big fella holding the Savage sure liked his Krispy Creams.

What are you doing, writing my eulogy???
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Old photo - 03/23/12
Naw, it's just habit, my brother in law and my best friend are both cops (one city, one provincial) and I like to bug them alot.
Posted By: Joe Re: Old photo - 03/24/12
Dang, when I first saw the big cop holding the 99, Phil Silvers came to mind.
Posted By: Marshfellow Re: Old photo - 03/24/12
Gary,

Great pix, thanks for sharing them.

tjw
Posted By: Jericho Re: Old photo - 03/24/12
Thanks for the pictures Gary. My grandmother had an old
black & white photo in her study of my grandfather and
two of his brothers standing over three whitetail bucks.
One man had a 99 the other two had Krags, it was taken in
1920s or earlier, and I believe the 99 was a 303. Of course
the picture disappeared after she passed, sure wish I had it.
© 24hourcampfire