REQUESTED SOME HELP IN POSTING THESE NFOR HIM
SO HAPPY TO DO SO.
STEVE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
ugly 'ol thing... I'd just send it my way and I'll tuck it away with some of it's kinfolk' ! wink

Nice one, thanks for posting pics Steve.

dave
Classy pics all the way. That box of ammo is a goodun too
Thanks Steve.

Had never encountered one of the W F Sheard (Sheard sights)marked guns previously. Wanted to share it with those that had not seen one. Sheard apparently stamped his markings on the guns he sold. Also put one of his front sights on each gun sold.

Individual that I purchased the pictured gun from stated that his grandfather bought the gun in 1905 while seeking his fortune on the west coast. Was in his family until now and no one was interested in keeping it. That was until they ran onto me.

Shoots well even with the slightly bent front sight. GW
What a great rifle, those knives would have some age on them also would they not?

Johno
Johno

The two with stacked leather handles are pre 1940 CASE TESTED.
The stag handled camp knife is pre 1870 J. Russell "GREEN RIVER WORKS" The camp knives were often shortened and carried as hunting knives as the hunting style knives were in short supply.

Early hunting knives are another of my addictions along with the lever action Savages. GW
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Johno

The two with stacked leather handles are pre 1940 CASE TESTED.
The stag handled camp knife is pre 1870 J. Russell "GREEN RIVER WORKS" The camp knives were often shortened and carried as hunting knives as the hunting style knives were in short supply.

Early hunting knives are another of my addictions along with the lever action Savages. GW

Very nice rifle and knives. J. Russell knife is my go to knife for working on a moose. They hold an edge better than any knife I've ever had. I have seen one other rifle so marked.
Nice rifle & Knives! rifles in very good shape, and you have some history on it!
Thanks for posting...great pics!
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Thanks Steve.

Had never encountered one of the W F Sheard (Sheard sights)marked guns previously. Wanted to share it with those that had not seen one. Sheard apparently stamped his markings on the guns he sold. Also put one of his front sights on each gun sold.

Individual that I purchased the pictured gun from stated that his grandfather bought the gun in 1905 while seeking his fortune on the west coast. Was in his family until now and no one was interested in keeping it. That was until they ran onto me.

Shoots well even with the slightly bent front sight. GW

Nice old rifle and history behind it. The dealer marked guns are neat. Also very neat it has the Sheard 303 Savage marked front sight too. Have you had it lettered to see if the records say anything about it being originally shipped to Sheard?
Just recently acquired, haven't decided on getting the letter.
Gentleman who purchased it in 1905 in Tacoma, Wash was Harry R MacLeod who later returned to the Detroit, Michigan area. He lived their until passing in 1935.

Gun was passed to his son in law and then to the grandson from whom I purchased it. GW
Neat .303, and excellent blades--I especially like early (and even present manufacture) Case fixed blades!

When I lived in upstate New York there was still a Sheard's Gunshop between Syracuse and Buffalo that I used as a rest stop on my way up the Thruway to Buffalo in summer. Had some historical relationship to the Sheard of "Sheard Bead Sights." It was right next to an ice cream store--two of my favorite things side-by-side!
all I can say is WOW!!! Thanks for sharing the gun and knives smile
Once upon a time I had a Winchester 1886 that had a Sheard front sight. It was marked on the barrel flat W. F. Sheard Livingston, Montana. Kind of wish I still had it, so I could swap it off for a 99! Been on the road for 3 weeks, out to Maine and up the coast, now in Vermont on the way home. Saw eight or ten Savages, but the boys out here must have used them pretty hard.
PA is full of them. Swing back down that way. They got more 99's that Chicago has AK's. GW
© 24hourcampfire