REQUESTED SOME HELP IN POSTING THESE NFOR HIM
SO HAPPY TO DO SO.
STEVE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
ugly 'ol thing... I'd just send it my way and I'll tuck it away with some of it's kinfolk' ! wink

Nice one, thanks for posting pics Steve.

dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Classy pics all the way. That box of ammo is a goodun too

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks Steve.

Had never encountered one of the W F Sheard (Sheard sights)marked guns previously. Wanted to share it with those that had not seen one. Sheard apparently stamped his markings on the guns he sold. Also put one of his front sights on each gun sold.

Individual that I purchased the pictured gun from stated that his grandfather bought the gun in 1905 while seeking his fortune on the west coast. Was in his family until now and no one was interested in keeping it. That was until they ran onto me.

Shoots well even with the slightly bent front sight. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
What a great rifle, those knives would have some age on them also would they not?

Johno

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Johno

The two with stacked leather handles are pre 1940 CASE TESTED.
The stag handled camp knife is pre 1870 J. Russell "GREEN RIVER WORKS" The camp knives were often shortened and carried as hunting knives as the hunting style knives were in short supply.

Early hunting knives are another of my addictions along with the lever action Savages. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Johno

The two with stacked leather handles are pre 1940 CASE TESTED.
The stag handled camp knife is pre 1870 J. Russell "GREEN RIVER WORKS" The camp knives were often shortened and carried as hunting knives as the hunting style knives were in short supply.

Early hunting knives are another of my addictions along with the lever action Savages. GW

Very nice rifle and knives. J. Russell knife is my go to knife for working on a moose. They hold an edge better than any knife I've ever had. I have seen one other rifle so marked.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice rifle & Knives! rifles in very good shape, and you have some history on it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting...great pics!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Thanks Steve.

Had never encountered one of the W F Sheard (Sheard sights)marked guns previously. Wanted to share it with those that had not seen one. Sheard apparently stamped his markings on the guns he sold. Also put one of his front sights on each gun sold.

Individual that I purchased the pictured gun from stated that his grandfather bought the gun in 1905 while seeking his fortune on the west coast. Was in his family until now and no one was interested in keeping it. That was until they ran onto me.

Shoots well even with the slightly bent front sight. GW

Nice old rifle and history behind it. The dealer marked guns are neat. Also very neat it has the Sheard 303 Savage marked front sight too. Have you had it lettered to see if the records say anything about it being originally shipped to Sheard?

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Just recently acquired, haven't decided on getting the letter.
Gentleman who purchased it in 1905 in Tacoma, Wash was Harry R MacLeod who later returned to the Detroit, Michigan area. He lived their until passing in 1935.

Gun was passed to his son in law and then to the grandson from whom I purchased it. GW

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Neat .303, and excellent blades--I especially like early (and even present manufacture) Case fixed blades!

When I lived in upstate New York there was still a Sheard's Gunshop between Syracuse and Buffalo that I used as a rest stop on my way up the Thruway to Buffalo in summer. Had some historical relationship to the Sheard of "Sheard Bead Sights." It was right next to an ice cream store--two of my favorite things side-by-side!

Last edited by Mesa; 09/30/15.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
all I can say is WOW!!! Thanks for sharing the gun and knives smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Once upon a time I had a Winchester 1886 that had a Sheard front sight. It was marked on the barrel flat W. F. Sheard Livingston, Montana. Kind of wish I still had it, so I could swap it off for a 99! Been on the road for 3 weeks, out to Maine and up the coast, now in Vermont on the way home. Saw eight or ten Savages, but the boys out here must have used them pretty hard.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
PA is full of them. Swing back down that way. They got more 99's that Chicago has AK's. GW

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,514
Posts18,509,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.