Home
Posted By: jorgeI ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
Gents, the rotary mag on my 99R is very sluggish, to the point that it is not rotating reliably enough to bring rounds up as the lever is cycled. I've sprayed "gun scrubber" in there and spot re-oiled the best I could and it seemed to improve, but it still very "spongy" my guess is the spring (?) needs to be replaced?
Probably not, just re-adjusted. Check the sticky under misc good info.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
Yikes, read it. Above my paygrade, but thank you.
Posted By: Youper Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
I had this issue with a 99F in 308 from 1956. I hunted with factory ammo without a problem. I worked up a handload that fed without a problem, so I thought, but had only loaded one in the magazine. When I tried to load five the magazine wouldn't operate. I chased this problem by adjusting the spring, but nothing changed. Long story short it was my handloads. I seated the bullets to 2.800" OAL. This was within 308 specs, but too long for the magazine. The bullet tips would just barely contact the front of the rotor in a way that would bind. Shortening the rounds to 2.750" OAL and returning the spring to the initial position fixed the problem.
A few months ago I adjusted the rotor on my 99G, as it wouldn't bring loads up reliably. It wasn't that hard but I had to take a screwdriver and file a notch in the center to hold the spindle screw. Worked like a champ. If you are not comfortable to try it, a good 'smith should be able to pull it off.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
No offense, but if you can't adjust a spring on a 99 rotor, you might want to reconsider driving a car.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No offense, but if you can't adjust a spring on a 99 rotor, you might want to reconsider driving a car.

How about flying an airplane?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
shish Jorge, if i can do it anybody can. just make o forked screwdriver or buy one from Wheelers and ya got it licked.
Thanks, I believe I have one of those forked drivers in my Wheeler kit.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
Like I said, no offense. Anyone can do it.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
my only problem is directional dyslexia ! i always confuse myself on " turn it to my left or left from the back or front" grin
then i experiment and find out
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/28/19
Originally Posted by jorgeI

You really don't need that. I prefer to use mini vise-grips with the long nose on them. The split screwdriver is problematic for this task.

Just lightly clamp on to the spindle nut and you can hold the spindle with much more precision.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/29/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Like I said, no offense. Anyone can do it.

You should have posted this first and come to a more harmonious outcome...
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by jorgeI

You really don't need that. I prefer to use mini vise-grips with the long nose on them. The split screwdriver is problematic for this task.

Just lightly clamp on to the spindle nut and you can hold the spindle with much more precision.

[Linked Image]

Excellent! now this is great!
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/29/19
Even a Cave Man can do it. grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/29/19
Jorge you got this. It's super easy. Lots of folks here can walk you thru it, but I doubt you'll need any help.
I will report back to you guys after I do it. Thanks again to everyone.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: ROTARY MAGAZINE ISSUE - 01/29/19
My initial thought was "Rotary Club has a magazine, I wonder which issue he's referring to? Do they have gun related articles in them"?
© 24hourcampfire