Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, the rotary mag on my 99R is very sluggish, to the point that it is not rotating reliably enough to bring rounds up as the lever is cycled. I've sprayed "gun scrubber" in there and spot re-oiled the best I could and it seemed to improve, but it still very "spongy" my guess is the spring (?) needs to be replaced?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably not, just re-adjusted. Check the sticky under misc good info.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yikes, read it. Above my paygrade, but thank you.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had this issue with a 99F in 308 from 1956. I hunted with factory ammo without a problem. I worked up a handload that fed without a problem, so I thought, but had only loaded one in the magazine. When I tried to load five the magazine wouldn't operate. I chased this problem by adjusting the spring, but nothing changed. Long story short it was my handloads. I seated the bullets to 2.800" OAL. This was within 308 specs, but too long for the magazine. The bullet tips would just barely contact the front of the rotor in a way that would bind. Shortening the rounds to 2.750" OAL and returning the spring to the initial position fixed the problem.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A few months ago I adjusted the rotor on my 99G, as it wouldn't bring loads up reliably. It wasn't that hard but I had to take a screwdriver and file a notch in the center to hold the spindle screw. Worked like a champ. If you are not comfortable to try it, a good 'smith should be able to pull it off.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No offense, but if you can't adjust a spring on a 99 rotor, you might want to reconsider driving a car.

LOL
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No offense, but if you can't adjust a spring on a 99 rotor, you might want to reconsider driving a car.

How about flying an airplane?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shish Jorge, if i can do it anybody can. just make o forked screwdriver or buy one from Wheelers and ya got it licked.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I believe I have one of those forked drivers in my Wheeler kit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said, no offense. Anyone can do it.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my only problem is directional dyslexia ! i always confuse myself on " turn it to my left or left from the back or front" grin
then i experiment and find out

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI

You really don't need that. I prefer to use mini vise-grips with the long nose on them. The split screwdriver is problematic for this task.

Just lightly clamp on to the spindle nut and you can hold the spindle with much more precision.

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Like I said, no offense. Anyone can do it.

You should have posted this first and come to a more harmonious outcome...

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by jorgeI

You really don't need that. I prefer to use mini vise-grips with the long nose on them. The split screwdriver is problematic for this task.

Just lightly clamp on to the spindle nut and you can hold the spindle with much more precision.

[Linked Image]

Excellent! now this is great!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Even a Cave Man can do it. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jorge you got this. It's super easy. Lots of folks here can walk you thru it, but I doubt you'll need any help.

LOL
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I will report back to you guys after I do it. Thanks again to everyone.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My initial thought was "Rotary Club has a magazine, I wonder which issue he's referring to? Do they have gun related articles in them"?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (320090T, 163bc, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,939
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.