Home
Posted By: forpest Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
Since I can’t buy the 250 savage in the t previous post, I would like to have the trigger in my savage 99 eg in 300 savage lightened up a bit. Who does this? Or, what do I need to ask someone who might do this for me? Am on the campfire pig hunt, and the 99 took one pig, but I missed another while shooting off a poor rest - some sort of spiny tree - but I refuse to shoot off a (young) guides shoulder. He might need to hear something some day!

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
If your Savage 99 EG has the old style trigger, it can be adjusted by some judicious polishing and trimming of the trigger lever. This is covered in an old book by Jim Carmichael and Roy Dunlop. If it has the new style trigger, not much can be done. I have worked all four of my 99s - they are all the old style trigger. I got better at the job each time. There are others here who know more than I do. They will probably respond as well.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
A little can be done to lighten the pull,but not much can be done to lessen creep. (Right fellas?) I don't know any smiths you can consign it to for that work. Those of us who venture in that direction do so ourselves, with great trepidation I might add.

From what I hear y'all are shooting up the place down there. DD put me on the waiting list so maybe one day I'll join yez. Tell Joe Ryba I said beers are on me next week.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
Trepidation is an understatement! I never work on a Savage.

Too scary.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
If you haven't taken it down for a thorough cleaning that would be a good starting point. Scrub out a few decades (or half a century) of gunk and some carefully applied lubricant can smooth things up some.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/10/19
Good advice there.
Posted By: forpest Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/13/19
Thanks everyone for your response. I will give a good cleaning and then see how it does. After shooting a bolt action with a 2# trigger, I think I was rushing shots trying to make the gun go off faster, which is not conducive to accuracy. Since working the trigger isn’t likely, I guess I had better spend more time getting used to it!

Fred
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/13/19
best method i have discovered to lessen the pull on a 99 is trigger finger exercise.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/13/19
Those of you who know me may remember my mangled but semi-functional RH index finger (trigger finger), the result of a close encounter with a multispindle drill press a long time ago. Don't ask crazy. Saddled with that I'm especially attuned to trigger function, and frankly I've yet to meet a 99 trigger that I found impossible to live with.
Originally Posted by forpest
I will give a good cleaning and then see how it does. Since working the trigger isn’t likely, I guess I had better spend more time getting used to it!

Good advice right there.
Posted By: texken Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/13/19
every gun smith I have encountered not only said no but "he$$ no
Posted By: forks Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/14/19
I had the same question awhile back and some kind person referred me to Ahlmans at www.ahlmans.com. My trigger job cost $65.00 and you will have to pay the shipping to also. The trigger pull is three and one half pounds and is just great. They are located at 9525 West 230th Street, Morristown,MN 55052. Look them up on line. Their phone number is (507) 685-4243 Good luck !!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/15/19
Forks, you must be mistaken, the Savage 99 trigger cannot be improved in any way w/o making the gun unsafe to use.

I read that here. .
Posted By: jkingrph Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/17/19
I picked up a late 40's early 50's EG about 20 years ago. The trigger was rather heavy and rough, so I first took the stock, and really gave everything a good cleaning and relubing which helped a lot. I was not quite satisfied so removed all the lube and studied it a while. then got the trigger and sear out so I could work on them, It's been so long I don't remember how I accomplished the disassembly. I very lightly polished the engaging surfaces with a hard, translucent Arkansas stone. It gave a major improvement although there is still a lot of creep which I understand is common. I don't shoot it much so cannot at this time remember the pull weight and it's at the back of the safe.
Posted By: forks Re: Trigger adjustment - 03/17/19
I have also heard how tough it it is to lighten the trigger pull on the Savage M99. So I did check Ahlmans sight at www.ahlmans .com 507-685-4243 and they did a very good job. Look up there sight yourself and have them send you there brochure. It can't hurt to look.
© 24hourcampfire