Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since I can’t buy the 250 savage in the t previous post, I would like to have the trigger in my savage 99 eg in 300 savage lightened up a bit. Who does this? Or, what do I need to ask someone who might do this for me? Am on the campfire pig hunt, and the 99 took one pig, but I missed another while shooting off a poor rest - some sort of spiny tree - but I refuse to shoot off a (young) guides shoulder. He might need to hear something some day!

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If your Savage 99 EG has the old style trigger, it can be adjusted by some judicious polishing and trimming of the trigger lever. This is covered in an old book by Jim Carmichael and Roy Dunlop. If it has the new style trigger, not much can be done. I have worked all four of my 99s - they are all the old style trigger. I got better at the job each time. There are others here who know more than I do. They will probably respond as well.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A little can be done to lighten the pull,but not much can be done to lessen creep. (Right fellas?) I don't know any smiths you can consign it to for that work. Those of us who venture in that direction do so ourselves, with great trepidation I might add.

From what I hear y'all are shooting up the place down there. DD put me on the waiting list so maybe one day I'll join yez. Tell Joe Ryba I said beers are on me next week.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Trepidation is an understatement! I never work on a Savage.

Too scary.

LOL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you haven't taken it down for a thorough cleaning that would be a good starting point. Scrub out a few decades (or half a century) of gunk and some carefully applied lubricant can smooth things up some.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good advice there.

forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone for your response. I will give a good cleaning and then see how it does. After shooting a bolt action with a 2# trigger, I think I was rushing shots trying to make the gun go off faster, which is not conducive to accuracy. Since working the trigger isn’t likely, I guess I had better spend more time getting used to it!

Fred

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
best method i have discovered to lessen the pull on a 99 is trigger finger exercise.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Those of you who know me may remember my mangled but semi-functional RH index finger (trigger finger), the result of a close encounter with a multispindle drill press a long time ago. Don't ask crazy. Saddled with that I'm especially attuned to trigger function, and frankly I've yet to meet a 99 trigger that I found impossible to live with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by forpest
I will give a good cleaning and then see how it does. Since working the trigger isn’t likely, I guess I had better spend more time getting used to it!

Good advice right there.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
every gun smith I have encountered not only said no but "he$$ no

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I had the same question awhile back and some kind person referred me to Ahlmans at www.ahlmans.com. My trigger job cost $65.00 and you will have to pay the shipping to also. The trigger pull is three and one half pounds and is just great. They are located at 9525 West 230th Street, Morristown,MN 55052. Look them up on line. Their phone number is (507) 685-4243 Good luck !!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Forks, you must be mistaken, the Savage 99 trigger cannot be improved in any way w/o making the gun unsafe to use.

I read that here. .

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a late 40's early 50's EG about 20 years ago. The trigger was rather heavy and rough, so I first took the stock, and really gave everything a good cleaning and relubing which helped a lot. I was not quite satisfied so removed all the lube and studied it a while. then got the trigger and sear out so I could work on them, It's been so long I don't remember how I accomplished the disassembly. I very lightly polished the engaging surfaces with a hard, translucent Arkansas stone. It gave a major improvement although there is still a lot of creep which I understand is common. I don't shoot it much so cannot at this time remember the pull weight and it's at the back of the safe.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have also heard how tough it it is to lighten the trigger pull on the Savage M99. So I did check Ahlmans sight at www.ahlmans .com 507-685-4243 and they did a very good job. Look up there sight yourself and have them send you there brochure. It can't hurt to look.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,279
Posts18,505,075
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.