Home
Posted By: Edwin264 Savage 99s - 10/08/19
I recently purchased a 99 in .300 Savage and another 99 in .243 Winchester. I’ve never fired a 99. What kind of accuracy are they capable of on average?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
Some will give a minute or better. Some not quite so good.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
If you scope them and handload you can get inside an inch at a hunnert with most.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
Depends also on how good a shooter the shooter is. A lot.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
My .300 is a MOA gun at 100 yards off the sandbags, but this is with handloads. Previously, my go to round was the old Remington Green Box 180 gr. RN's, but they're not made as a factory load any more. These rifles will definitely shoot. Just like any other gun, you gotta put in some range time to find what they like, especially if running factory ammo.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
I don't have near the experience with these 99's as others here have. Of the couple dozen, or so, that I have shot or seen shot, all were quite capable. Not a single dog yet. And some actually put a big ole schitt eatin' grin on my face.
Did I ever show you guys this one? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: daddio56 Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
Hey all! First time on here and glad I joined. Another Marine turned me onto this as we both have a passion for all things older than us. (....and some younger too!) So to start out, I am a lifelong hunter but was never really a purist as to what is marked where, how many scratches , how long, how short, etc.. You get my drift. I knew my weapons and was content knowing that I guess. I just bought a Savage 99 .300 that is pretty sweet. It is not tapped for a scope. Good? Bad? adds or lowers value? I have talked to others and they say it does increase value not being tapped and others say that if you want to hunt, you should put a scope on it. I am quite honestly going to take it to the range and start short and test the sights. It is all original and has the Lyman rear peep site, no mag, action is very clean visually and action wise. I want to try hunting without a scope with this rifle as it just feels right....cant explain it, never really considered it, but this rifle just feels like it is made for it. Suggestions? Ideas? let me know and thanks for letting me be a part! Semper Fi....
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
If it has a peep sight, you should definitely give it a try. It's amazing how accurate a guy can be with just that at normal hunting ranges.

If you decide eventually you really want a scope, there's a guy here that can set up up with a solution that doesn't involve drilling holes in the receiver. It's called the Lightfoot mount, and lots of folks love it.

Drilling holes for scope bases does reduce the value of the rifle, and there's lots of newer 99's that you can find that are drilled for scope bases - or older ones that others have already drilled.

Welcome to the campfire!
Originally Posted by daddio56
Hey all! First time on here and glad I joined. Another Marine turned me onto this as we both have a passion for all things older than us. (....and some younger too!) So to start out, I am a lifelong hunter but was never really a purist as to what is marked where, how many scratches , how long, how short, etc.. You get my drift. I knew my weapons and was content knowing that I guess. I just bought a Savage 99 .300 that is pretty sweet. It is not tapped for a scope. Good? Bad? adds or lowers value? I have talked to others and they say it does increase value not being tapped and others say that if you want to hunt, you should put a scope on it. I am quite honestly going to take it to the range and start short and test the sights. It is all original and has the Lyman rear peep site, no mag, action is very clean visually and action wise. I want to try hunting without a scope with this rifle as it just feels right....cant explain it, never really considered it, but this rifle just feels like it is made for it. Suggestions? Ideas? let me know and thanks for letting me be a part! Semper Fi....

For any other new Savage admirers reading, this is how it starts ^^^^, and it's a long downward spiral from there.

Welcome to the campfire Savage collectors forum. You will find most of your questions can be answered here, as well as most of your answers questioned.

I appreciate your observation about things older, but I am somewhat curious about the things younger. We have a saying here, pictures or it didn't happen.

GO!
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
Originally Posted by Fireball2

laugh I knew it was only a matter of time. Did you wake up late?

Remember how we struggled to erase the powder burns from that target? How we laughed and laughed?

Ol' "Deadeye" Fireball II
is a marksman through and through.
When he takes aim at a bullseye
to your money "say bye bye",
'cause his misses are less than a few.
I trust this is a Vegas site? said here, seen here, stays here...right ! Ha! Will post some pics later! Trying to figure out how you save where you were at in the forums....other than writing it down! Thanks for the chuckle!

Figured it out! just click on that little banner to save favorites...thanks...
thanks for the input...I will have to check that out.
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Savage 99s - 10/08/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Remember how we struggled to erase the powder burns from that target? How we laughed and laughed?

Ol' "Deadeye" Fireball II
is a marksman through and through.
When he takes aim at a bullseye
to your money "say bye bye",
'cause his misses are less than a few.

Just once, I'd like to hear the honest facts on that target. Can someone post them? confused
As I remember it: multiple shots at various targets, all of us taking turns shooting/observing. Roy doing the same, and generally better than most. Tim (eaglemountain) spotting. One shot from Roy. A "Holy sh*t." from somebody. And the rest is history.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99s - 10/09/19
I was sighting in a 99E in 303 at the gathering in PA and eagleountain Tim was spotting, walking me into the target as I adjusted the peep sight. I've never had such quality spotting in my life!!
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
Well, I shot the .300 today and yesterday. With factory Remington ammunition, I got a group of 1.25” outside to outside at 100 yards with peep sights. I’m very impressed.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Well, I shot the .300 today and yesterday. With factory Remington ammunition, I got a group of 1.25” outside to outside at 100 yards with peep sights. I’m very impressed.

That's very good shooting!
Posted By: reivertom Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
I have a 99F in .243 and it didn't take too much to get it into an inch at 100 yards. I just picked a few loads and found one that worked best....after that I just dialed in the scope..
Posted By: WillARights Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
I done that target once:

Outside across hood of truck,, cold snowy december day, obviously cold barrel, 50 yards, 1984 Rem 700, factory coreloks.

One shot, dead arse center in bull.

I called it good and went back inside.
Posted By: hanco Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
I have a few, they are very accurate. I have been amazed.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Savage 99s - 10/21/19
I haven’t dialed in the .243 yet. It’s plenty close enough for hunting, but I feel like it could be better.
© 24hourcampfire