Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14185534 10/07/19
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I recently purchased a 99 in .300 Savage and another 99 in .243 Winchester. I’ve never fired a 99. What kind of accuracy are they capable of on average?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some will give a minute or better. Some not quite so good.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you scope them and handload you can get inside an inch at a hunnert with most.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends also on how good a shooter the shooter is. A lot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My .300 is a MOA gun at 100 yards off the sandbags, but this is with handloads. Previously, my go to round was the old Remington Green Box 180 gr. RN's, but they're not made as a factory load any more. These rifles will definitely shoot. Just like any other gun, you gotta put in some range time to find what they like, especially if running factory ammo.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't have near the experience with these 99's as others here have. Of the couple dozen, or so, that I have shot or seen shot, all were quite capable. Not a single dog yet. And some actually put a big ole schitt eatin' grin on my face.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did I ever show you guys this one? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
D
D
Hey all! First time on here and glad I joined. Another Marine turned me onto this as we both have a passion for all things older than us. (....and some younger too!) So to start out, I am a lifelong hunter but was never really a purist as to what is marked where, how many scratches , how long, how short, etc.. You get my drift. I knew my weapons and was content knowing that I guess. I just bought a Savage 99 .300 that is pretty sweet. It is not tapped for a scope. Good? Bad? adds or lowers value? I have talked to others and they say it does increase value not being tapped and others say that if you want to hunt, you should put a scope on it. I am quite honestly going to take it to the range and start short and test the sights. It is all original and has the Lyman rear peep site, no mag, action is very clean visually and action wise. I want to try hunting without a scope with this rifle as it just feels right....cant explain it, never really considered it, but this rifle just feels like it is made for it. Suggestions? Ideas? let me know and thanks for letting me be a part! Semper Fi....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it has a peep sight, you should definitely give it a try. It's amazing how accurate a guy can be with just that at normal hunting ranges.

If you decide eventually you really want a scope, there's a guy here that can set up up with a solution that doesn't involve drilling holes in the receiver. It's called the Lightfoot mount, and lots of folks love it.

Drilling holes for scope bases does reduce the value of the rifle, and there's lots of newer 99's that you can find that are drilled for scope bases - or older ones that others have already drilled.

Welcome to the campfire!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by daddio56
Hey all! First time on here and glad I joined. Another Marine turned me onto this as we both have a passion for all things older than us. (....and some younger too!) So to start out, I am a lifelong hunter but was never really a purist as to what is marked where, how many scratches , how long, how short, etc.. You get my drift. I knew my weapons and was content knowing that I guess. I just bought a Savage 99 .300 that is pretty sweet. It is not tapped for a scope. Good? Bad? adds or lowers value? I have talked to others and they say it does increase value not being tapped and others say that if you want to hunt, you should put a scope on it. I am quite honestly going to take it to the range and start short and test the sights. It is all original and has the Lyman rear peep site, no mag, action is very clean visually and action wise. I want to try hunting without a scope with this rifle as it just feels right....cant explain it, never really considered it, but this rifle just feels like it is made for it. Suggestions? Ideas? let me know and thanks for letting me be a part! Semper Fi....

For any other new Savage admirers reading, this is how it starts ^^^^, and it's a long downward spiral from there.

Welcome to the campfire Savage collectors forum. You will find most of your questions can be answered here, as well as most of your answers questioned.

I appreciate your observation about things older, but I am somewhat curious about the things younger. We have a saying here, pictures or it didn't happen.

GO!

LOL
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2

laugh I knew it was only a matter of time. Did you wake up late?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Remember how we struggled to erase the powder burns from that target? How we laughed and laughed?

Ol' "Deadeye" Fireball II
is a marksman through and through.
When he takes aim at a bullseye
to your money "say bye bye",
'cause his misses are less than a few.

D
D
I trust this is a Vegas site? said here, seen here, stays here...right ! Ha! Will post some pics later! Trying to figure out how you save where you were at in the forums....other than writing it down! Thanks for the chuckle!

Figured it out! just click on that little banner to save favorites...thanks...

Last edited by daddio56; 10/08/19.
D
D
thanks for the input...I will have to check that out.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Remember how we struggled to erase the powder burns from that target? How we laughed and laughed?

Ol' "Deadeye" Fireball II
is a marksman through and through.
When he takes aim at a bullseye
to your money "say bye bye",
'cause his misses are less than a few.

Just once, I'd like to hear the honest facts on that target. Can someone post them? confused

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As I remember it: multiple shots at various targets, all of us taking turns shooting/observing. Roy doing the same, and generally better than most. Tim (eaglemountain) spotting. One shot from Roy. A "Holy sh*t." from somebody. And the rest is history.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was sighting in a 99E in 303 at the gathering in PA and eagleountain Tim was spotting, walking me into the target as I adjusted the peep sight. I've never had such quality spotting in my life!!

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Well, I shot the .300 today and yesterday. With factory Remington ammunition, I got a group of 1.25” outside to outside at 100 yards with peep sights. I’m very impressed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Well, I shot the .300 today and yesterday. With factory Remington ammunition, I got a group of 1.25” outside to outside at 100 yards with peep sights. I’m very impressed.

That's very good shooting!

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a 99F in .243 and it didn't take too much to get it into an inch at 100 yards. I just picked a few loads and found one that worked best....after that I just dialed in the scope..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.