Home
Posted By: JoeMartin O/T Don - 04/23/20
All this spare time I've been cruising the world looking for my next ride, I think I found it. Do you have a Lombard log hauler? I want a Linn tractor.
Posted By: saddlering Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
I belive Don Has 2 Lombards, I rode one one of them!
Posted By: Loggah Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
Joe, I do have 2 lombard tractors and 1 linn 1925 dump truck!! grin They do not go as fast as some Mopar products tho. grin .If you go to the "KING OF OBSOLETES" website Joey Barnes has a few Linn tractors that he uses in northern Saskatchewan, hes a bit of a charactor.Heres a couple pictures.

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

I hope to rebuild the cab this summer and get it running again,When i first got it about 40 years ago it ran !!!!

Posted By: JoeMartin Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
I need to send you the 1952 FWD Model LD dump that my neighbor has. As it is, I think when scrap goes up, it's getting scrapped. I told him I thought it was cool, the last time I was up there, he had it all cleaned out. I think his BIL said it did run.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Well Joe i could send you a couple of ww2 Sterling trucks i own!!!!! grinSterling made 100 of these model DDS150 all wheel drive trucks in 1944 for the U.S. Navy for hauling torpedos, there kinda rough,but with only 100 made there pretty rare.

after the war the yellow one ended up with a gradall on it,and the orange one had a small crane on it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
Yow! That's some serious machinery. What engines were used in the Sterlings? Proprietary or off-the-shelf?
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
Don, Do you have an torpedoes to go with the trucks?
Posted By: damnesia Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
That Oliver is really cool! I've never seen one like that. I'm slumming it with a Farmall M frown
Posted By: 99guy Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
Joe, I do have 2 lombard tractors and 1 linn 1925 dump truck!! grin They do not go as fast as some Mopar products tho. grin .If you go to the "KING OF OBSOLETES" website Joey Barnes has a few Linn tractors that he uses in northern Saskatchewan, hes a bit of a charactor.Heres a couple pictures.

I hope to rebuild the cab this summer and get it running again,When i first got it about 40 years ago it ran !!!!

See if she'll start with that hand crank Don. grin
I used to start both th lombard and linn with the hand crank !! once upon a time. The Sterlings were made in Millwaukee and waukesha engines were made nearby,so every gasoline engine sterling had a waukesha. These had 6srkr motors around 525c.i. flathead sixes. the diesel sterlings all used 6 cylinder cummins. Sterlings were some of the first to use diesels in the early 30's.
David, A friend of mine did come up with a torpedo years ago while dragging for scollops off the coast of maine, as soon as they saw it in the net they had the coast guard come get it. Joe check and see if the FWD has a hercules jxc engine in it,i need one for one of my smaller cletracs. Damnesia, i have a few tractors to, 1943 case VAIW warehouse tractor ,1949 case SC, 1948 ford 8n and a1960's industrial 30 massey-ferguson and a toro "GENERAL" greens tractor. This is why im not on the savage forum all the time !!!! I got "JUNK" everywhere i need to work on !!!!!!! crazy crazy grin Don
Posted By: Calhoun Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
I can get you the patent drawing's for Arthur's wire guided torpedo... grin
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
I was grouse hunting in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom back in 2011 and I came across an old Federal dump truck, abandoned in the woods. I had to look online to find out what it was.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
loggah has the stuff on a calm day you can drive by and hear most of it rusting
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/23/20
that does not include his gun museum
Posted By: 99guy Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
Originally Posted by topnotch99
loggah has the stuff on a calm day you can drive by and hear most of it rusting

Starting to smell like a sibling rivalry.

Maybe the bro likes rare rusty old cool equipment?

grin

Posted By: JoeMartin Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I was grouse hunting in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom back in 2011 and I came across an old Federal dump truck, abandoned in the woods. I had to look online to find out what it was.

Couple years back I saw a guy walking around a fenced lot full of old trucks and tractors. I’d been trying to get in and see them for years. The first truck as you walked on the lot was a 34 Federal. He had a 37 IH wrecker. I liked the Federal, but what I really wanted was 56 IH R160. My very first vehicle I ever bought, when I was 14-15, was an IH R120 stake body. He said the truck had been the first truck a moving and storage company had bought. The owner loved it and when they bought their next truck, he retired the old I H and put it one of their storage buildings. Nice paint, no rust. I kept going back and the place was never open. Finally I saw the guy and stopped, the truck was gone.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
Grew up on a Ollie cletrac! When the engine threw a rod , dad and I put a Buick straight eight in it. With the 3 speed trans coupled to the stock trans.
Put it in low in both boxes, crack the throttle side open, climb off , eat lunch, take a nap, and walk 5 feet and get back on!
Man could that thing push! 3040 if I remember right.
Posted By: SS336 Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Loggah Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
Heres my little cletrac model 12-20 it is a bit rusty but runs nice. grin
One of my friends has an Olliver OC6 with a front end loader on it. He's kind of like Don, has more stuff to ride on than you can count. He has a beautiful, self restored Model T Huckster truck, 3 Model T Roadster Pick up cabs, all in very good condition, none with titles. Last time I was over his new toy was a Studebaker Weasel, not running of course. He lives on 3 acres and had over 20 vehicles. He's back a long, long drive and can't be seen from the road. One of his neighbors was moving, and the real estate agent turned him into the county. He had to build a 60X90 building to fit everything in. But, he did it.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
I was just talking to one of my local hot rod buddies, mostly about older cars and pickups, but he also mentioned some old heavy equipment that is around here. I don't know if any of it is for sale. Some people around here are satisfied to just let it "may they rust in peace". We're hoping to get our Model A's out next week. The temps are supposed to get into the low 60's and the snow has been melting rapidly.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
no rivalry on the rust maybe guns but he's way ahead on quantity. Since you brought up vehicles just getting my 1970 SS 454 Monte Carlo back from 2 year restoration. Then off to upholstery shop. Then I can park it next to my 1970 Monte Carlo 402 4 speed 1 of 587. Then I can put my 1967 big block Chevelle next to them and let them collect dust. My favorite driver is my 59 Chevy Apache out of Arizona No Rust!!
We used to have rivalry when we both had Indian Motorcycles!!! grin most of my stuff is rusty,Dick likes to spend money on restorations !!!! grin grin
I believe the nose out of joint was a rivalry when I had Harleys and loggah had Indians.then we had cider I think that's how the nose job happend
no rivalry on the rust maybe guns but he's way ahead on quantity. Since you brought up vehicles just getting my 1970 SS 454 Monte Carlo back from 2 year restoration. Then off to upholstery shop. Then I can park it next to my 1970 Monte Carlo 402 4 speed 1 of 587. Then I can put my 1967 big block Chevelle next to them and let them collect dust. My favorite driver is my 59 Chevy Apache out of Arizona No Rust!!

Holy Cow. My buddy and I had twin 69 340 swingers. Orange with Black Bumble Bee stripes. Mine was an auto, his a 4 speed. He hated the 4 speed so we would trade cars on the weekends. I had a wee bit too much Canadian Club and wrecked his car. Hit a fire hydrant and a tree at over 90 MPH. The cop said it was the worse accident he had ever seen where the driver lived, much less walked away from. Yes, I wore my shoulder and lap belts. So I gave him my car, and I took the wreck. The following weekend he showed up in a 70 SS 454 Monte Carlo. A week or so later he lost it along an old farm, left the road, and took out about a dozen fence posts. A fence post went through the passenger door, and hit his passenger just above his ear and scalped him. We were rough on those old cars.
This is the one I traded for the one I wrecked.

This one I should have kept. 440 magnum Auto.

This is the one I did keep. I was supposed to start the resto first of the year, now it's on hold again. Sleeper. Formula S, 383, 4 speed. One year only option, and they only made 64 of them.

Posted By: wyo1895 Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
Sounds like you guys were kind of hard on your bodies too? Well, I was too. I laid my 850 Norton down on a curve at 70 MPH, Damaged me and the Norton pretty bad. I've still got road rash scars.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
Y'all can have those muscle cars. smile I'm bidding on a '61 MGA MkII roadster to go with my MGBGT. If I win it, I'll be saying so long to a passle of guns! Never cared for big bloated Detroit Iron no matter how powerful the engine.
just pull over when we come by at a buck fifty and hold on lol
Gary, Some of us full sized adults dont fit in those wee limey rigs !!! grinJoe how fast did that 440 tow that old boat ???? grin grin
My 58 MGA coupe is one of the few pics of my old cars that I do not have.
wrecked my share of every thing. loggah can verify my farther said I could break the horn off a anvil
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/24/20
just pull over when we come by at a buck fifty and hold on lol

Unless I'm in my buddy's Lotus Esprit or my BIL's 427 Cobra then you won't be coming by! It's all in good fun. Personally I have no desire to go fast anymore. I would cheerfully sell half my gun collection to buy a 1948 MGTC- top speed 80mph, maybe. Cruising speed: 55.
Posted By: 99guy Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I had a 75 Dart Swinger with the slant 6. Never hit 90 with it. Never hit an oak tree. None of my friends ever got hurt in it.

I had a boring childhood.

frown
Posted By: 99guy Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by 99guy
I had a 75 Dart Swinger with the slant 6. Never hit 90 with it. Never hit an oak tree. None of my friends ever got hurt in it.

I had a boring childhood.

frown

I'll tell you how that car met it's demise. We kids used to park our cars out in front of my parents house in the summer. The front yard sloped downhill towards a line of 100+ year old Sugar Maples (which we used to tap in the spring, but that is another story) that bordered my parents property. I had an old hound dog that liked to get under the back bumpers of cars and trucks and scratch it's back. One day she scratched her back so hard she knocked my car out of gear and it rolled down the hill until it found one of those old Sugar Maples that did not budge when the Swinger hit. I put a for sale sign on the car in Dad's front yard and if IIRC I got $125 for it. You know that story has to be true, cause you couldn't make that up in a million years.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I'm guessing it was the whiskey's fault not the car's in Joe's case, Randy.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I guess you could have called me a switch hitter when I was young. I would go back and forth between Detroit muscle and British cool!
Had Chevelle's from 64 to 70 , one at least each year, with El Caminos mixed in. For cool I had MG td, bug eyed sprite, Austin Healey 100-6, and a Xke.
Oh yeah , had a Morris Minor 2000 too. Dated my wife in that one. Almost lost her to a 62 corvette. Good thing the corvette guy seldom bathed😁
Worst of the bunch was the XKE. The brits just couldn't manage electrical .
blew the reverse/first slider in the 100-6 and traded it for a motorcycle. Bad ,Bad mistake.
Fastest I ever motored was in an E-type. I won't say how fast- there's still a warrant out. grin Drove an XK-150 my senior year in college. Paid $900 for it in 1973. Should give you an idea of its condition! Girls loved it though. Engine was good, brakes fair, electrics dead nuts unreliable. God I wish I had that car back!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I've never had a cool car, just cool 4x4's. 1964 Chevy stepside with the 292 6 and a four speed. Stupid thing would climb a tree. I used it to meet customers and bid jobs. All the old guys loved it and I got almost every job I looked at. My hotrod was a 55 Chevy 4x4 with a built 350 and turbo 400. It was the parade tire squeaker. One I wish I'd finished and kept was a 54 GMC Surburban 4x4. I sold it half done. Needed the shop space. Most interesing car was probably the 27 Nash.
Posted By: Loggah Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I never took hardly any pictures of the cars i had ! cryif there were many the "EX" had them. the fastest i ever went,that i know of was 155-160. 155 for sure in a 1962 impala bubble top,had a 160 mph spedo in it,got light in the front end. 160 on my 1951 indian chief chopper 80 inch plus motor,traded a 23 tooth transmssion sprocket to 28 tooth,had a front wheel drive spedo and brought it all the way around back to zero !!!!!!! no the smartest thing i ever did !!!! crazy crazy
I always say that if you scratch the surface of a gun nut you'll probably also find a car nut in there too!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I always say that if you scratch the surface of a gun nut you'll probably also find a car nut in there too!

All this talk of scratching nuts and here I sit in my easy chair at 6:45 am. grin grin
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
got my ability to post pics back. I pulled the axle, got new brakes (note the finned aluminum style Buick brake drum showing between the wheel and backing plate), had the axle and backing plates powder coated red and put it back together this Winter. Probably go for a spin this afternoon.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SS336 Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
Nice, a Flathead Ford roadster, I'm jealous. Does it have triple 97's on an offy intake? Can't quite tell from the picture.
Posted By: damnesia Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
I sold my last muscle car when I moved to MN, a 1962 Fairlane Sports Coupe that I stuck a 427 in. I never really cared for the car, needed to finish the interior and was kinda happy to sell it.

Here is about as close to a hot rod as I drive today:

[Linked Image]

Came to me as a non-running 2 wheel drive. Going to finish up the body work and paint it this summer.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
got to love those first nationals . the old man had some. very tough forged crank rods and pistons balanced . but with bad metal and new England salt they were rusted out in 3 or 4 years .good thing Loggah didn't collect them nothing would be left
Posted By: damnesia Re: O/T Don - 04/25/20
The PNW is the home of intact internationals. I've got 3 more behind me when taking the picture. The list is

1964 "red carpet" scout 80 seen to the right in the picture.
1966 Navy ( galvanized body ) scout 800, the green one in the picture.
1967 forest service travelall 1200, same stance as the white 1200
1968 1200, the white one in the picture.
1968 scout 800, 304 v8
1970 scout 800 gold SR2

Most were given to me if I could "remove them from the field". All mechanical work, brake work and major body work on them is done. Just need to do the finishing body work and spray them.

The white truck and the travelall now have 75 dodge w300 differentials, very happy to get rid of the original Dana's with the big 6 lug patterns and split rims, and original heavy ass NP201 t-cases.
Posted By: Loggah Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
If i remember correctly the ones our father had with the 304 and 345 or 392 engines never got better the 6 miles per gallon ! grin
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Well, better than a Sherman tank which got, like, 1 1/4 gallons per mile. But who cared? Uncle Sam paid at the pump.
Posted By: wyo1895 Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
It has an Offenhauser manifold with 3 Stromberg 97's and Navarro heads.
[Linked Image]
overall of the car when I bought it. The pic up above shows what it looks like now. Ugly blue wheels and fat rear wheels and tires are gone.
[Linked Image]
I made a lot of other minor changes including adding a tach and the eight ball gearshift knob that was on my '36 Chevy when I was in high school.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SS336 Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Damn sweet old school Hot Rod.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
I have the original Sun Ten Grand Super Tach, and the "Chassis Research" gas pedal out of my 112" front engine dragster. Always said I was going to build another one starting with those two parts. Kind of like starting with a butt stock screw, and winding up with a 22HP K.
Maybe you can get it done before the corona virus scare is over and we can get back to normal.
Posted By: damnesia Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Originally Posted by Loggah
If i remember correctly the ones our father had with the 304 and 345 or 392 engines never got better the 6 miles per gallon ! grin

That truck has a 304 in it and with the 35s and 4.10s it gets between 4 and 5 mpg. These days it's the truck I drive locally or on the property to do work.
Posted By: damnesia Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
I love the flat heads! That one's a perfect example of how they should be built.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Not a Ford fan but that's the balls. A friend of mine and Loggah has a few 32 33 Ford Hot Rods. His has a hemi the wife has a flat head. Also a Model A widened down the middle frame beefed up with a flat head and a [bleep] of Winchesters. Maybe Loggah can get some pics since this site is turning into a car site instead of guns.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
This site ceased being a collectors forum years ago.
Posted By: topnotch99 Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
LBK the double beard was spotted this weekend my friend's grandson could not get a good shot maybe next time told him use 22 hi power no idea what I was talking about .not a savage guy I guess,
Posted By: Calhoun Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Just need folks to post pictures and ask the questions.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Yep, when it lags the O/T threads pop up. That's ok. Man does not live by bread (or Savages) alone.
It's still a collector's forum. We just stray from time to time. You know, minds start wandering when a person gets old. (I think)
Posted By: Loggah Re: O/T Don - 04/26/20
Thats the problem,i collect all kinds of schitt !!!!! grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: O/T Don - 04/27/20
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Quit complaining and start contributing. You've got plenty of subject matter. The most of us have to work hard to come up with half of what you've got to talk about. Quit being an old poop.
© 24hourcampfire