Home
Getting my gear together for the rifle opener in PA and decided to carry a favorite that he made for me a few years back. The Elk Ivories caused him some stress and choice words. Every time I carry it, I have such fond memories of the elk hunt with my brother and father, and just marvel at the craftsmanship.
Some of the best money I’ve ever spent getting this made

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just wondering if you know how he secured the ivories?
Im a jeweler by trade and would have thought a bezel would be ideal.
I like your knife a lot. I bezel in rings. Pain is each ivory is different so all bezels are from scratch.
Hats off to a nice knife.
I did the same for a customer a few years back. I tapered (carefully) a hole from the
tang side of the scale so the ivory would fit in but not pass out of the exterior of the hole.
I used acrylics to hold them in. Won't try it again. But looks cool.
Good looking knife.
He used the same technique as michiganroadkill.
I believe he had to go through a couple of sets of scales. He also said it would probably be the last one he would do.
I haven’t seen too many others that have the ivories I. The scales. It must be a very tricky process.
and impractical as hell......
Very nice
a few years back I gifted my namesake nephew with a Larry Rossi knife of that same pattern. CPM154 steel though. He has used it on quite a number of deer since then. He hunts with a club in Tennessee and kills some fine animals. He swears by that Rosi knife.
The one shown here is a beauty, and I know it will perform to satisfaction!
Beautiful!
I have quite a few of Larry’s knives. They are fine builds for sure. He was always tinkering with different types of steel. He has a background in the steel business I believe and had several contacts that he could get some interesting stuff from. He used to live 10 minutes from my house, and I would stop by on occasion. Drink several beers, chew a little snuff, and next thing I new I had a knife or two with me on the way out the door. Wallet a little lighter, but some good times. Very knowledgeable guy for sure.
He has moved to the Carolinas and not sure if he is still making blades or not. I should check in with him.

The steel specs on this one are…
1084 -15n20% chromium-cru forge v 320 layers

The elk ivories are not very practical, but they are kinda nice index points to know where the blade is when cutting out the wind pipe. Not a jewelry guy, so as practical as I could get with them.
Firstly, that's a beautiful knife.

That said, I agree with this:
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and impractical as hell......

In the UK and on the Continent where I do most of my shooting, ivories embedded in knife handles are common. They are, however, normally cast in Lexan or a similar poly, then shaped and fit so they blend in with no hot spot...
© 24hourcampfire