Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Getting my gear together for the rifle opener in PA and decided to carry a favorite that he made for me a few years back. The Elk Ivories caused him some stress and choice words. Every time I carry it, I have such fond memories of the elk hunt with my brother and father, and just marvel at the craftsmanship.
Some of the best money I’ve ever spent getting this made

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just wondering if you know how he secured the ivories?
Im a jeweler by trade and would have thought a bezel would be ideal.
I like your knife a lot. I bezel in rings. Pain is each ivory is different so all bezels are from scratch.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hats off to a nice knife.
I did the same for a customer a few years back. I tapered (carefully) a hole from the
tang side of the scale so the ivory would fit in but not pass out of the exterior of the hole.
I used acrylics to hold them in. Won't try it again. But looks cool.
Good looking knife.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
He used the same technique as michiganroadkill.
I believe he had to go through a couple of sets of scales. He also said it would probably be the last one he would do.
I haven’t seen too many others that have the ivories I. The scales. It must be a very tricky process.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and impractical as hell......

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Very nice

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a few years back I gifted my namesake nephew with a Larry Rossi knife of that same pattern. CPM154 steel though. He has used it on quite a number of deer since then. He hunts with a club in Tennessee and kills some fine animals. He swears by that Rosi knife.
The one shown here is a beauty, and I know it will perform to satisfaction!

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful!

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have quite a few of Larry’s knives. They are fine builds for sure. He was always tinkering with different types of steel. He has a background in the steel business I believe and had several contacts that he could get some interesting stuff from. He used to live 10 minutes from my house, and I would stop by on occasion. Drink several beers, chew a little snuff, and next thing I new I had a knife or two with me on the way out the door. Wallet a little lighter, but some good times. Very knowledgeable guy for sure.
He has moved to the Carolinas and not sure if he is still making blades or not. I should check in with him.

The steel specs on this one are…
1084 -15n20% chromium-cru forge v 320 layers

The elk ivories are not very practical, but they are kinda nice index points to know where the blade is when cutting out the wind pipe. Not a jewelry guy, so as practical as I could get with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Firstly, that's a beautiful knife.

That said, I agree with this:
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and impractical as hell......

In the UK and on the Continent where I do most of my shooting, ivories embedded in knife handles are common. They are, however, normally cast in Lexan or a similar poly, then shaped and fit so they blend in with no hot spot...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.