Home
Posted By: ringneckhunter Need a hunting knife. - 11/13/10
Hey guys, i need some help, i need a hunting knife and just thought i'd ask on here to see what you guys like/suggest. The catch is that i need to keep the price under $100, $75 if i can.
Posted By: antlers Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
Might wanna check this one out...

Buck Mini Vanguard
item #38-886-598-00
It's on sale at Bass Pro for 50 bucks.

Posted By: Walker Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
[Linked Image]
Mora "HighQ Allround Carbon"

[Linked Image]
Grohmann "Small Camper"

[Linked Image]
Helle "Odel"
Posted By: harleyguy02 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
There are a couple good deals on Charles May knives on the classifieds..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Knives_for_sale_some_great_#Post4594409

145.00 for Mays... both are over 275.00 new..
Posted By: Droptine Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
Originally Posted by ringneckhunter
Hey guys, i need some help, i need a hunting knife and just thought i'd ask on here to see what you guys like/suggest. The catch is that i need to keep the price under $100, $75 if i can.

I've got just the ticket...
Hand Made Hunting Knife $100
Comes with a cross draw sheath dyed USMC black. I can post pics of the sheath if you'd like to see it.

DT
Posted By: RUMlover Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
I cant help but think that that knife will NEVER hold an edge with that blade grind.
Posted By: Droptine Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
Well you would be wrong but you are free to to think anything you want.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10
The Beretta Loveless Hunter with a Zytel handle can be had for a bit less than $50. Excellent.
Posted By: Walker Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/14/10

A.G.Russell "Deer Hunter" - VG-10/Zytel

A.G.Russell "Bird & Trout" - VG-10/Zytel
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/15/10
"I cant help but think that that knife will NEVER hold an edge with that blade grind."

I am not agreeing nor disagreeing, but I am curious as to why you think that blade with that blade grind will not hold an edge.

The edge looks fine to me. It appears to be a V grind on the edge at about a 15 degree per side angle.
Posted By: harleyguy02 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/15/10
I cannot wait to hear this answer..

I think the knife looks great.. A2 steel is awesome.. I assume the heat treat matches the knife.. which is beautiful..
Posted By: Droptine Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/16/10
Knife is SOLD. We'll let the new owner find out how well it holds an edge.

DT
Posted By: Mink Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/16/10
If it will take an edge, it will hold an edge IMO.

As for Droptines blades, I can attest they show up wicked sharp.
Posted By: frankgon4 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 11/16/10
Are you looking for a skinning knife or more of a Bush knife for Survival (Making lean to shelter, chop firewood, etc) ?
Posted By: GF1 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
The Beretta Loveless Hunter with a Zytel handle can be had for a bit less than $50. Excellent.

That's a great blade; have one in the wooden handle version, and it's almost too nice to use. Really like the balance and size/shape of the blade.
Originally Posted by antlers

Buck Mini Vanguard
item #38-886-598-00

That actually looks pretty ideal, and Buck uses good steel in their knives, for the money. Very "drop point hunter" like.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by frankgon4
Are you looking for a skinning knife or more of a Bush knife for Survival (Making lean to shelter, chop firewood, etc) ?
He said for hunting, so I would assume it's for field dressing deer, and maybe field butchering, which involves some skinning too. A bushcraft/survival knife is a very different animal, requiring a thick blade with a nearly straight spine, squared off up to the tip to accommodate batoning through wood. To hold up to this, you generally need either a scandi or convex grind/edge, which puts a lot of steel in support of the edge.

Best grinds for game processing are hollow grind (very little steel supporting the edge). Hollow grinds don't hold up well to bushcraft/survival tasks, but can be made sharper and do fly through field dressing tasks with ease. Drop points are ideal for this (putting the point significantly lower than most of the spine line to avoid unintended poking of holes), but not for bushcraft, which knives ideally have a nearly straight spine all the way to the tip, squared off the full length, with very little drop at the point.
Posted By: antlers Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by antlers

Buck Mini Vanguard
item #38-886-598-00

That actually looks pretty ideal, and Buck uses good steel in their knives, for the money. Very "drop point hunter" like.

[Linked Image]

The Buck Mini Vanguard is a 3/4 size version of the original full size Vanguard shown. It's a pretty sweet little knife. Perfect for field dressing, butchering, skinning, and general use; hollow ground 420HC stainless steel blade. Rosewood handle. Sheath included. Blade length: 3-1/4"; overall length: 7-3/8".
Not bad for 50 bucks.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

That's a great blade; have one in the wooden handle version, and it's almost too nice to use. Really like the balance and size/shape of the blade.

I agree! I bought the Zytel version because I just could not bring myself to carry the wood version.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by frankgon4
He said for hunting, so I would assume it's for field dressing deer, and maybe field butchering, which involves some skinning too. A bushcraft/survival knife is a very different animal, requiring a thick blade with a nearly straight spine, squared off up to the tip to accommodate batoning through wood. To hold up to this, you generally need either a scandi or convex grind/edge, which puts a lot of steel in support of the edge.

Best grinds for game processing are hollow grind (very little steel supporting the edge). Hollow grinds don't hold up well to bushcraft/survival tasks, but can be made sharper and do fly through field dressing tasks with ease. Drop points are ideal for this (putting the point significantly lower than most of the spine line to avoid unintended poking of holes), but not for bushcraft, which knives ideally have a nearly straight spine all the way to the tip, squared off the full length, with very little drop at the point.

And, you hunt, HOW much?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10

While I've a Jazillion blades,the Gentleman's Folder rates a thunk,for the application/pricing cited..........................
Originally Posted by Big Stick

While I've a Jazillion blades,the Gentleman's Folder rates a thunk,for the application/pricing cited..........................

Rate more than a thunk. Following your suggestion, I got one... and promptly lost it to my father. Then, I thought I'd get smart; I ordered two. Lost them to my uncles.

Ordered two more; carry one and hid the other.

DAMNED good knife.
Skookum +P................
Yep, and a damned bargain, too.
JUNK.................
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/12/10
Not the knife for a lifetime of use, but for utility I really like these.

[Linked Image]
JUNK.................

That didn't stay posted long, did it?
Couldn't argue the impetus,to delete a Leatherman Nehalem from serious discussion.

It were funny though...................
Bang for the buck,you ain't gonna top a $5 Vickie Parer..............
Grabbed a fist full of those parers at the last 'show here, for $2/each.

Should have bought the case.
The Nehalem?

That thing is an abortion...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/13/10
Just got the hookup on two more Gentleman's................
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/13/10
Why, am I not surprised?
Hopefully they'll arive after Xmas,so I don't haveta give them away...................(grin)
Posted By: AlanR Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/13/10
I'm slow...which maker?
Kershaw. Killer ergo's,VG-10 and an exceedingly useful pattern.

Amidship.............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boise Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/13/10
I've had my Kershaw Elk Spring blade blade twice where the blade engaged the lock, must have been a heat treating issue. I used the knife on lots of game but after the second failure decided to move up to one of Ingram's blades - mostly because of what I've learned here.
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]
Looks more like a fillet knife.
Originally Posted by Boise
I've had my Kershaw Elk Spring blade blade twice where the blade engaged the lock, must have been a heat treating issue. I used the knife on lots of game but after the second failure decided to move up to one of Ingram's blades - mostly because of what I've learned here.

I'm by and large a Fixed Slut,but the aforementioned GF is an exceptional folder,in all regards. Even comes with a sheath,for them that prefer that mode of carry.

Kershaw's relative quality,fluctuates wildly through their lineage and the GF is less peer....................

[Linked Image]
Looks more like a fillet knife.

More of a boning blade,than a fillet.

Kershaw Kai's and this first run Benchmade,were more fillet-esque and of a utilitarian pattern I much prefer to an upswept boning blade ..............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: croldfort Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/13/10
Cold Steel Roach Belly from Amazon.com for $15. Buy two and the shipping is free. It is an outstanding cheap knife for working up a deer. Good luck.
They've better patterns,for like funds.................

[Linked Image]
The straight Spike ain't horrid for caping,etc................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I see you have a Cold Steel "Spike" there. Had one for years. It was my constant companion while traveling in Italy about eight years ago. Had it hanging from my neck under my shirt. They come scary sharp. They do a nice job putting a zero grind on them at Cold Steel. Also like your Gerber commando dagger.
BS

To each his own. Those may be better woods patterns and we have most of those Cold Steels in our group. None will bone out a deer better than a Roach Belly. That is my opinion. Good luck.

[Linked Image]
I see you have a Cold Steel "Spike" there. Had one for years. It was my constant companion while traveling in Italy about eight years ago. Had it hanging from my neck under my shirt. They come scary sharp. They do a nice job putting a zero grind on them at Cold Steel. Also like your Gerber commando dagger.

I generally wear it when I'm in one of my boats,as it's handy for dealing with schitt you don't want,on a longline.

Like 'neckers pretty good on the average and have a herd...............
Originally Posted by croldfort
BS

To each his own. Those may be better woods patterns and we have most of those Cold Steels in our group. None will bone out a deer better than a Roach Belly. That is my opinion. Good luck.

The FinnWolf(trifecta furthest left),is of less belly and of more flexibility than the 'Roach,both attributes aid in the seperation of meat from bone.

Profile is superior too...............
I agree. My Roach Belly was taped to the front of a Finn Wolf sheath with black tape to make a great cheap combo pouch. I gave them to my deer skinner this year, after he raved about the Roach Belly boning out our deer. I am looking at the boxes of two new Roach Belly's on my desk now. Life is good.
Posted By: antlers Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/14/10
I recently found some Roach Belly's on-line for $9.99; I kept 2 of em'...the rest are Christmas gifts. Great knife for the money.
Posted By: no_one Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/14/10

[Linked Image]

I will take that and a steel over anything else posted.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/14/10
Points awarded for humor!..................
Posted By: Two_10s Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/22/10
I have many knifes both custom made D2 Tool Steel and Damascus blades and also name brand knifes but I got a Havalon Piranta which has replaceable surgical sharp stainless steel blades and thats all I carry now and I sell them because I have never seen any knife that can hold a candel too them. [email protected]
Free shipping, 12 extra blades, holster. Most of them are under $50 Guaranteed satisfaction.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Need a hunting knife. - 12/25/10
Junk................

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire