Home
Posted By: longarm Dozier? - 04/24/19
Curious why I don't see more frequent mention of Dozier Knives here. Any fans? I have yet to handle one.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Dozier? - 04/24/19
I've had a few. Think I only have 4 left. The 3 below plus a Canoe.
MOGC has owned a pile.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Originally Posted by longarm
Curious why I don't see more frequent mention of Dozier Knives here. Any fans? I have yet to handle one.

They are workhorse knives. I’ve got a couple. Dozier amd Crotts.

Kinda no frills. I’ve picked all mine up second hand.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier in a long time.
Posted By: VinceM Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier for in a long time.

If you go on their website they have some knives built in St Paul ,handmade by Bob himself. I suspect some of those are higher finish & of a different quality and feel as the basic hunters ,listed in the " Arkansas made" section
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
It is true. Bob puts a lot of his knowledge and skills into his handmade blades.

But you can get pretty much anything you want from the "Arkansas Made" line as well. They are cutters!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
I only have one (sweetwater), but I'm a fan. Just a no-BS cutting tool that works and works well. He doesn't chase steel fads, which would no doubt help his sales.

Many of his patterns don't appeal to me, but I could say that about any other maker as well.
Posted By: longarm Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Originally Posted by VinceM
Dozier knives have great heat treatment, great grinds and cut like champs. His ergonomics are also pretty good. They work and work well. They are not finished to the same level as something like an Ingram. They are also for the most part a bit chunky and not as light in the hand or as balanced. Dozier knives are less expensive than many other makers so I guess that counts for something when looking at the finish. I have owned a bunch of them over years but I have not bought a new Dozier for in a long time.

If you go on their website they have some knives built in St Paul ,handmade by Bob himself. I suspect some of those are higher finish & of a different quality and feel as the basic hunters ,listed in the " Arkansas made" section

Vince, worth noting quite a difference in price between the two.
I'm curious enough about the Arkansas knives that I may put myself on the (three year!) list.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Can’t go wrong with Dan Crotts knives either.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Dozier? - 04/25/19
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Can’t go wrong with Dan Crotts knives either.

+1 to Daniel.
and Tom Krein over both...
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VinceM Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by VinceM

Vince, worth noting quite a difference in price between the two.
I'm curious enough about the Arkansas knives that I may put myself on the (three year!) list.

They post new stuff FS weekly ,just about. Life is too short to wait 3 freakin years for tools
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
Couple comments:

First, A.G. Russell (RIP) Knives normally has a large selection in stock, and is usually just a couple months out on orders.
-----------------> AGR Dozier Made

Second, Dozier traditionally takes literally boxes of knives to the major shows. More than some factories. BLADE is in about six weeks. Right after, most every big knife purveyor on the internet will have them in stock, and the Featured Inventory page Vince pointed out will carry the leftovers.

Posted By: VinceM Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
My first hand made hunting knives I ever bought , were Dozier. How I got to know about 'em ,I somehow had an AG Russell catalogue put in my PO Box as a mistake. And NO i did not turn it in to the postmaster ,it had good stuff in it.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
I have a YPS in sheep horn with wilderness sheath. It is about all I could ask of a hunting knife. I am a huge fan of Dozier and really like his wilderness sheath. I don't much care for his horizontal sheaths.
Posted By: longarm Re: Dozier? - 04/26/19
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Couple comments:

First, A.G. Russell (RIP) Knives normally has a large selection in stock, and is usually just a couple months out on orders.
-----------------> AGR Dozier Made

Second, Dozier traditionally takes literally boxes of knives to the major shows. More than some factories. BLADE is in about six weeks. Right after, most every big knife purveyor on the internet will have them in stock, and the Featured Inventory page Vince pointed out will carry the leftovers.

Good Intel, thanks
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Dozier? - 04/27/19
I like the dozier kydex sheaths. Though I’m lefty and all the ones I’ve picked are righty.

First heard of dozier knives from the small black and white ad in the back of some hunting(?) magazine.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Dozier? - 04/27/19
I’ve owned quite a few Doziers that I’ve bought from Bob when he sets up at the big Tulsa Show. He makes good stuff!
© 24hourcampfire