Home
Posted By: roundoak Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
After the first two days of a 9 day gun season deer camp several members abandon the wait and see approach and still hunt or conduct drives. Today, some of us went on a stand early then met up with others to organize some drives. The second drive was a place where we have been waiting for the right wind direction. I was up to bat as a stander and along with a couple other hunters we hiked to our positions with the wind in our face.

I set up on the edge of a fallow field facing the woods that the drivers will push. Wind blowing right to left. Silence and anticipation is always a thrill for me. Soon I heard Blue Jays then a faint cracking of brush. Two doe and a button buck emerged at the edge of the woods. My doe tag was already filled and I was after a mature buck so I lowered the rifle. They loped of to the left and out of sight. The crack of a rifle rang out twice from the direction of the drivers. A minute or two later, two doe popped out of the woods with a buck bringing up the rear. They loped into the wind and I put the 99-A on the buck and waited until he was beyond the direction of the drivers and sent a 87 Speer HotCor at him. He did not seem to react and was gone before I could send another HotCor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When the drivers showed up I went looking for some evidence of a hit. Found it.
He didn't go far, about 70 paces. As he lay, heart shot.

This buck tried to double back thru the drive.

Posted By: battue Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
Well done!!!!
Posted By: skeen Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by roundoak
After the first two days of a 9 day gun season deer camp several members abandon the wait and see approach and still hunt or conduct drives. Today, some of us went on a stand early then met up with others to organize some drives. The second drive was a place where we have been waiting for the right wind direction. I was up to bat as a stander and along with a couple other hunters we hiked to our positions with the wind in our face.

I set up on the edge of a fallow field facing the woods that the drivers will push. Wind blowing right to left. Silence and anticipation is always a thrill for me. Soon I heard Blue Jays then a faint cracking of brush. Two doe and a button buck emerged at the edge of the woods. My doe tag was already filled and I was after a mature buck so I lowered the rifle. They loped of to the left and out of sight. The crack of a rifle rang out twice from the direction of the drivers. A minute or two later, two doe popped out of the woods with a buck bringing up the rear. They loped into the wind and I put the 99-A on the buck and waited until he was beyond the direction of the drivers and sent a 87 Speer HotCor at him. He did not seem to react and was gone before I could send another HotCor.

When the drivers showed up I went looking for some evidence of a hit. Found it.
He didn't go far, about 70 paces. As he lay, heart shot.

This buck tried to double back thru the drive.

Nice buck, man!
Good looking bucks. I've seen bucks veer off head back in the general direction of the drivers.
Nice bucks
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
Gotta love a well conducted drive, and as always, super nice bucks up there on the farm.
WOW!

What a Toad!

Congratulations!
WOW! The rack on your buck really has some character.
Congrads dandy buck! Long time ago we used to do drives, those were the days. Sadly I'm the last of that group!
Nice buck. We used to drive deer all the time on weekends but most of that generation has passed on. We always would try to position the drivers with the wind at their back and let there scent blow in the direction of the drive. Them older deer smell them standers and out they go sneaking.
A couple of good looking bucks.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
Dandy buck and nice shot!
Nice buck!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
A beautiful buck from beautiful country. Congrats on a fine buck!!
Roundoak is that 99A 250 scoped or irons? MB
Leupold 1-4x 20mm

Pair of nice bucks there.

We used to do a few drives when I was a kid but now there are so many houses around and land was split up, makes having true drives a thing of the past.
Great looking country and buck. Love that rifle. Congrats.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Pair of nice bucks there.

We used to do a few drives when I was a kid but now there are so many houses around and land was split up, makes having true drives a thing of the past.
We don't see many houses popping up around here and in some cases our drivers get pretty close to houses and buildings, but we have permission and call owners ahead of time. A few years ago I was a flanker on a drive that put me close to a house and farm buildings and a buck broke out of the woods and I dropped him between the barn and hog house. grin
Posted By: aalf Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20

Beauty.......well done.....
That's a beaut!
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/28/20
Looks like true fighter. Nice shootin.
Nice bucks! Always a enjoy participating in a well executed deer drive! Have had good luck on more then a few also. Congrats!
Nice buck deer. Thanks for sharing.
You never disappoint roundoak. Congrats again!
Posted By: kellyJ Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/29/20
Nice Buck
Posted By: mathman Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/29/20
87 grain Hot Cor, love it. I knew I was over gunned with 100's in my 250. grin
Posted By: pointer Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 11/30/20
Very well done!!
Great buck and story. Reminded me of my youth and deer drives.
Damn nice buck Roundoak! Congrats!

Ron
Posted By: pullit Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/03/20
Nice
Posted By: ihookem Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/07/20
Roundoak, I have been meaning to ask you if you went back up to Upper Michigan this year and how the hunting was. I am still looking for some land there , but closer to Bay De Noc and north of Escanaba.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
Awesome work!
Very nice buck!!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
Good deal! Not participated in drives for years, but remember staying on stand at the end of the day in WVA and watching deer filter back into the area they had just vacated.
ihookem, I did not hunt deer in UP-Michigan this year, because I had a chance to go to Colorado. I did hunt Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock a couple of weekends.

There were 5 guys in the UP-Mich deer camp where I go and they got 1 buck and 2 doe. They said not a lot of deer seen.
Posted By: tzone Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by mathman
87 grain Hot Cor, love it. I knew I was over gunned with 100's in my 250. grin

laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
ihookem, I did not hunt deer in UP-Michigan this year, because I had a chance to go to Colorado. I did hunt Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock a couple of weekends.

There were 5 guys in the UP-Mich deer camp where I go and they got 1 buck and 2 doe. They said not a lot of deer seen.

How did you do on the grouse? I didn’t buy a license in WI this year and of course, see them everywhere. grin
Originally Posted by tzone

How did you do on the grouse? I didn’t buy a license in WI this year and of course, see them everywhere. grin

I had good success on the grouse in the UP with a lot of flushes. I don't know what direction the 10-year cycle is, up or down?
Posted By: skeen Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by tzone

I had good success on the grouse in the UP with a lot of flushes. I don't know what direction the 10-year cycle is, up or down?

Wow, that takes me back in time, like 40 years. Though my old man was a die hard pheasant hunter, every fall we'd take a trip with our springer spaniel to northern Michigan to hunt grouse and woodcock. We'd sleep in the back of the pickup and only take breaks to feed and water the dog. smile
Posted By: ihookem Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/08/20
About the grouse, we only went one time and kicked up a few. However, when I was scouting deer and deer hunting, then we saw them. The numbers , like Roundoak mentioned , I also am not sure if they are on the up swing or not but there are not as many as a few yrs. ago so this might be about the bottom. I am in Price co. on the west side and hunt the Flambeau River St. Forest. Even on the down years, there is no problem kicking a few up, but no matter how many I flush, they still take me by surprise and dont get too many.
Two nice bucks and yours is a real dandy. Congrats. From the age of 15 to about 35 all we did is drive deer. One woodlot to the next, CRP grass and drainage ditches. Groups of 10 -15, sunup to sundown. I miss it, miss the camaraderie of the group the most. 47 now and sitting on stand is not the same. Thanks for sharing.
JohnGlenn, the deer drive is just another arrow in our quiver and it is very effective after the shooting starts and many of the bucks go nocturnal. It goes without saying, preplanning and experienced hunters are essential. If you don't have that it is like herding cats.
Posted By: jay Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/10/20
Two super bucks, a 99 in 250 w/87 hotcor, classic American whitetail hunting, congrats!!
For sure. Post rut, lots of pressure, before the deep freeze gets them up and moving to feed...it is the way to get the bucks/deer moving. And, if you do it right with a good group of guys that work well together it is fun and super exciting. Need to work the wind, know the escape routes and know the lay of the land and where everyone is (if you can see them or not) for safety. Any bunch of nimrods can go for a walk in the woods and shoot at each other, but a well planned, effective and safe deer drive is an art.
Nice buck, congrats!
Posted By: wldthg Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/18/20
roundoak--- Both those bucks are a buck of a lifetime in my area. And I know they grow them bigger there.
Posted By: SKane Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/18/20
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
For sure. Post rut, lots of pressure, before the deep freeze gets them up and moving to feed...it is the way to get the bucks/deer moving. And, if you do it right with a good group of guys that work well together it is fun and super exciting. Need to work the wind, know the escape routes and know the lay of the land and where everyone is (if you can see them or not) for safety. Any bunch of nimrods can go for a walk in the woods and shoot at each other, but a well planned, effective and safe deer drive is an art.

Something tells me if one could observe roundoak & team conducting such a mooch, using Tchaikovksy's - Swan Lake - No2 Valse for ambiance would be apropos. laugh
Posted By: tzone Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/18/20
I've never been on a well organized drive. Been on plenty that will make your knees shake and your head spin. There is no question that the roundoak's crew has it down. They're not shooting those bucks on a yearly basis by luck.
Originally Posted by SKane

Something tells me if one could observe roundoak & team conducting such a mooch, using Tchaikovksy's - Swan Lake - No2 Valse for ambiance would be apropos. laugh
Classical music? At least it is not Tiptoe Thru' The Tulips With Me.
Posted By: SKane Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/18/20
LOL. I just meant there's little doubt that it's very well orchestrated.
There's an art form to it when executed right.

I never looked at it as an art form, but now that you mentioned it, I can see that. grin I will share that with the gang.
I took up the muzzleloader decades ago when in-lines were still a novel concept. It was just a way to get another deer tag and continue hunting. Going to a one shot only gun & trying to drive deer that had just went through hell being driven relentlessly for 3 straight weekends was an eye opener. I saw deer do some crazy stuff to avoid getting into your crosshairs! But what great lessons I learned. Yes, there is definitely an art to successfully drive hunting deer and being consistently successful is not luck.
Nice buck!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/24/20
Great looking Trophy bucks! Enjoyed the write up and the pics.
Posted By: RandyR Re: Busted up a pocket of deer - 12/24/20
Roundoak, Great bucks as usual. Still hard to believe the quality of deer you have over there versus the Central part of the State.Heading through early Saturday if you are putting any classes on.

I grew up driving the swamps in Waupaca County and even though we would get a lot of deer there weren't many good bucks. Everyone used a shotgun and would use every shell they could at tails flying by. We do wind bump small parcels now and it works pretty well with a small group.
Originally Posted by SKane

THIS^^^ cool
Leupold 1-4x 20mm

Roundoak,

Your Savage 99-A should be twisted 1/10...correct? If so, do you prefer shooting the Speer 87 gr, hotcore versus a 100 gr bullet?
Doc, yes, this 99-A is 1-10" ROT and the 87 gr Speer HotCor is the second most accurate bullet tried in it. The Sierra 90 gr HPBT is the most accurate bullet, but i don't trust it on deer.

100 gr bullets are not as accurate in this rifle, so I went with the 87 gr HotCor and found it killed every deer I hit with it. My reloads with H4895 average 2925-2950 fps and on occasion I have put it into the shoulders with good results. I have used the bullet in a .257 Roberts at 3200 fps and if put into the shoulders it did not perform as well and required a second shot a couple of times, so I moved up to 100-115 gr bullets.
© 24hourcampfire